• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How old is ash supposed be?

Years
  • Age 18
  • Seen May 16, 2022
Ash has always been 10. What if he does age? How old is he supposed be? I'm guessing 13+ if 1 episode is considered a day.

Btw I just joined few minutes ago

the_fast_reader

Overanalyzing Pokemon for 20 years
Years
There's around 1000 episodes I think which would be less than 3 years. I find that pretty unrealistic, it obviously takes more than a day to go from one episode to the next so to speak, there's often more than a couple days of traveling implied.

Imagine traveling an entire country on foot, that takes time.

I think that 1 year for every region could be a more reasonable guess, so around 17.
18 if we add up all the little detours he made thanks to movies, Orange Islands, Battle Frontiers and the like.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 9, 2024
I would think he could be close to 20. He seemed to mature during X & Y.

Taste of Tea

Hoenn confirmed
Years
Ash is ten. It's been confirmed a few times since BW and it's not going to change no matter how you guys try to spin it.

TheAlmightyBlaziken

Pretty cool if I do say so myself
Years
Heh Heh Yeah even though Serena kissed him or at least I think she kissed him which she shouldn't have kissed him since she's too young ah who am I kidding when I was in fourth grade almost everyone had a BF/GF except me because I was very formal and hated everyone in my school.

Last edited:

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 27, 2023
He is, was, and always will be ten years old, much like the intended audience for the Pokemon Anime.

Thinking he's older is wishful thinking and will never be a thing outside of fanfiction.

QuietDragon

a wavering flower, a bird taking flight
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 20, 2023
He's officially always ten! It's comic book time, like how Batman/Bruce Wayne (unless for a special past or future story arc or alternate take like The Batman's old Bruce) is an adult or Peter Parker's always in high school.

The way he's played in the Japanese version, Matsumoto Rica clearly deepens his voice and lets him sound older, like he's going through puberty—compare his high, youthful Kanto voice with even Battle Frontier (late Advanced Generation) or Diamond & Pearl!

Sun & Moon's portrayal is so different, she prefers thinking of him as having known only Kanto before coming to Alola, so she plays him more youthfully and excitedly to match the usual tone of this more slice-of-life/shool-based series.

But, she also jokingly calls him "the eternal ten year old" because of how he's officially always ten.

You're free to headcanon him aging, Matsumoto-san likes to headcanon too, but officially, Pokemon is a timeless work, it operates in comic book time.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 18
  • Seen May 16, 2022
That's not what I'm talking about. Not officially age hypothetical age by episode 1 to 1000 something

QuietDragon

a wavering flower, a bird taking flight
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 20, 2023
That's not what I'm talking about. Not officially age hypothetical age by episode 1 to 1000 something

There was a youtube video, very well-done, ages back that counted every episode in which a full day passed (every time you see the sun set) and he'd be at least eleven by /Johto/!
They didn't go further than that... he probably would age a year every two regions or so!

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
Ash has been & probably always will be ten. I don't know why people keep trying to question his age when it's stated pretty much EVERY new series Ash is 10...

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
Going by the manga, it takes 80 days to travel around Hoenn. If you go by size, it would probably take about 120 days to get through Kanto and Johto togeather. About 160 days for Sinnoh. About 365 for Unova. 150 days got Kalos and about 20 days if that for Alola. That is just going about average. Totally, that is about 830 days, so he is probably only about 13 to 16. Although during Johto, a year had passed, so that is throwing in the Orange Islands, which I am gonna say he spent 30 to 60 days there.

So theoretically going by the 80 days in Hoenn in the Manga and a year in Johto after the Orange Islands. I can't see him being older than 16.

Ash has been & probably always will be ten. I don't know why people keep trying to question his age when it's stated pretty much EVERY new series Ash is 10...

He quiet obviously pointed out that he was 10. What he is asking, is if he actually aged, how old would he be.

And just some info, he only stated he was 10 in Kanto and Unova. So we don't know how old he was in the other regions. He was quiet obviously older than 10 in Kalos. A 10 year old doesn't act like he does, nor do they kiss like the creator confirmed. So it is implied, in Kalos, he was older.

The creator also said that the Kalos Ash and Alola Ash were not the same Ash.

Last edited:

Taemin

move.
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
You also have to account for all those time-skip type things some of the anime episodes pull.

Like, clearly sometimes days or a week will have passed from one episode to the next, so..... like... it seems almost as if one region would take him a couple of years.

Times all the regions he's wondered, plus the time span during the movies. LOL

Wouldn't he be in his 30's by now if he really aged? Like, dang.

Back