• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Quick Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucifer

Fallen1
Years
I just captured a sandshrew today, timid nature, badass base attack and defense, horrible special!
Is there a place where I can buy the items equivalent to Iron and Protein for special anywhere?

Years
I just captured a sandshrew today, timid nature, badass base attack and defense, horrible special!
Is there a place where I can buy the items equivalent to Iron and Protein for special anywhere?

You must be talking about the Calcium and Zinc, which are the special equivalents to the Protein and Iron respectively. You can buy them in Shopping Mall Nine on Route 9 (so around your 7th Badge) as well as the Battle Subway and Pokemon World Tournament, but you need to battle and win to earn BP to spend on them.

Also, Sandshrew's Special-based stats are terrible, so its best you focus on its Attack and Defense. Also, Timid nature lowers Attack and raises Speed which isn't that great since it's mainly a physical attacker.

Lucifer

Fallen1
Years
You must be talking about the Calcium and Zinc, which are the special equivalents to the Protein and Iron respectively. You can buy them in Shopping Mall Nine on Route 9 (so around your 7th Badge) as well as the Battle Subway and Pokemon World Tournament, but you need to battle and win to earn BP to spend on them.

Also, Sandshrew's Special-based stats are terrible, so its best you focus on its Attack and Defense. Also, Timid nature lowers Attack and raises Speed which isn't that great since it's mainly a physical attacker.

Great. I had captured a sandshrew basically for my battle with the Nimbasa gym which uses electric types. I plan on boxing it after. Mine has now evolved to sandshrew which raise it's special significantly plus I have the TM rock tomb to teach and Dig to teach.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Replying to the bolded portion, the exact time you can get it is after the sixth badge (Mistralton) and the trip through Reversal Mountain. You can visit all of the areas from Routes 9 (closed at Tubeline Bridge) through 14 (closed at Black City/White Forest) and all towns in between (exempting Giant Chasm of course) after acquiring the sixth badge, which means anyone with money to burn can at this point visit Shopping Mall Nine before freezing over Opelucid City (which occurs after the seventh badge is obtained and you then visit Drayden at home; the cutscene begins while inside his home).

You can of course go to SMN after Opelucid is frozen as well, I just hate traversing around there with ice and pre-E4 only Fly there for Quick Balls.

If you want quick money, the Nimbasa repeatable battles and the Royal Unova are options (attach an Amulet Coin). Those vitamins cost 9,800 PD each.

Cyclone

Years
How to Get Special BW2 Games at Walmart

So I want to get Black 2 and White 2 with the special Dream World Sinnoh starter code. I was wondering if Walmart is also selling the special copies on their website as well as in-store. Has anyone gotten one of those copies from ordering online, or can they only be purchased in-store only?

Thorsphen

Electric
Years
  • UK
  • Seen Feb 3, 2013
I am getting back into Pokemon after many years, not played since Sapphire and Ruby, I have ordered a 3DS and Black 2, what is a good starter Pokemon?

Also I forgot, how long is the leveling up process?

Years
I am getting back into Pokemon after many years, not played since Sapphire and Ruby, I have ordered a 3DS and Black 2, what is a good starter Pokemon?

Also I forgot, how long is the leveling up process?

Here's my thoughts on each starter:

Snivy has terrible offenses and is built more for defensive roles. Unfortunately it struggles a lot in the early game due to so many Bug and Poison-types present for most of the early game.

Tepig is okay, but it doesn't learn many good moves until it reaches its final stage Emboar, when it gets Hammer Arm and Flamethrower and it's also the slowest of the bunch with low defenses but good HP.

Oshawott is the best of the bunch, since it has decent stats and learns moves at the right time, also unlike the other two, there are less Water-types it can compete with in the earlier parts of the game (i.e. not many other Pokemon that could replace it until later on) and it can run mixed attacking sets well.

My advice would probably choose Oshawott, but it's up to you.

Also, each starter evolves at Level 17 then again at Level 36.

Thorsphen

Electric
Years
  • UK
  • Seen Feb 3, 2013
Thank you, I suppose I will catch some Pokemon along my travels, how long does it take to level up nowadays?

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
I personally think Oshawott might be the best choice, because it could learn powerful moves like Ice Beam (via TM, to counter Grass-types) and Revenge. For me, leveling up depends on what level your opponent Pokemon is. I remember raising a level 5 Pokemon to level 20 in 3 matches when battling a level 50 Pokemon (by Exp. Share).

Thorsphen

Electric
Years
  • UK
  • Seen Feb 3, 2013
OK great, it's just I wanted to know how long it would be until I can catch some real powerful Pokemon :)

Years
What Wind Heart was saying about EXP gain is because, in 5th Generation the EXP gained is now calculated on the difference between your Pokemon's level and the opponent's. You necessarily gain more EXP against higher-level opponents.

There is an easy way to gain EXP, on any route with tall grass (except Route 19) you can find Audino in shaking patches of grass. Just run around when outside of the grass and then a patch will spawn and shake. Get into the shaking patch and you'll find a Pokemon, most of the time it is Audino, and they look like this:
531.png

Fight loads and loads of Audino and you'll gain massive EXP, this gets even easier once you get the Lucky Egg from Professor Juniper in Celestial Tower on Route 7. The Lucky Egg doubles the amount of EXP gained for the Pokemon that is holding it.

Thorsphen

Electric
Years
  • UK
  • Seen Feb 3, 2013
Thanks for the help yet again, I just can't wait for my 3DS and B2 to arrive, only two days!

I am going to start with Tepig or Oshawott, any Pokemon on my travels I should catch which would be useful later in the game?

Mimikyu402

Flareon Master
Years
Thanks for the help yet again, I just can't wait for my 3DS and B2 to arrive, only two days!

I am going to start with Tepig or Oshawott, any Pokemon on my travels I should catch which would be useful later in the game?

There are many pokes to choose from in bw2 here are som examples that are some of my faves i only write down the 1st stages here:
growlithe, riolu, staryu, magnemite, drilbur, darumaka and manymany more check here for list of all pokes in bw2:

http://serebii.net/black2white2/unovadex.shtml

note that the event legends dosent exist in the game except for keldeo who is up on wifi now until 12feb

QuickSilveri

Veteran
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Feb 17, 2017
(Repost from up there, cause it was skipped...again )
Quick Question (please provide a how-to if possible):

I heard somewhere that you can upload your VS Recorder battle videos to a computer.
Is this possible? If so, How?
(Black 2)

Thanks In Advance

Regards, Chris

Thorsphen

Electric
Years
  • UK
  • Seen Feb 3, 2013
Is there anyway to get Kyogre?

Like trade via WiFi?

I miss that Pokemon and have not got my old games anymore and I don't know anyone near me who plays Pokemon.

QuickSilveri

Veteran
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Feb 17, 2017
I have one that i can trade you. Add my FC and we can go from there.

Regards, Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
From what I know, Battle Videos on the VS Recorder can be uploaded to the GTS, and be viewed through the friend codes in-game. Currently there is no way to view them on a PC through any official means.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
So I want to get Black 2 and White 2 with the special Dream World Sinnoh starter code. I was wondering if Walmart is also selling the special copies on their website as well as in-store. Has anyone gotten one of those copies from ordering online, or can they only be purchased in-store only?
From what I've read, not all Walmart locations are running the event ("participating locations"). I believe you have to go in, as there can be no guarantee when you buy online that you are getting this event. It's a specially marked package, and online most likely does not carry that.

Cyclone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back