• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ultimate Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myzou

Lost and Confused xD
Years
Beat Koga... with all my pokemon lower level than his... not sure how that happened, I WAS above everyone... *shrug* Finished it a while ago, but PC wouldn't load -.-

"Blog" Part 5: The Cheating Wheezing

After defeating Erica, I headed to the Game Corner, where I defeated a Rocket Grunt, and gained access to their headquarters. I fought my way through, as usual, and reached their leader, Giovanni. His Kangaskhan gave me a little trouble, but in the end, Beedrill was victorious. I then left Celadon and went for the Pokemon Tower with my newly acquired Silph Scope.

I fought my way up the tower, taking out the women and psychics on the way up. When I reached a ghost, the Silph Scope showed it to be Marowak. I defeated it, and the rockets on the next floor, and rescued Mr. Fuji, who was so grateful he gave me a PokeFlute that could awaken sleeping pokemon. I went south, to Route 12, and woke up Snorlax. It attacked in a rage, so I had Clamps defeat it. I obtained a Super Rod from a house on Route 12, so I would be able to catch a water pokemon I could surf on later.

I soon reached a patch of grass to the left, and knew what would be waiting for me. After fighting off some Pidgeys and Bellsprouts, I saw it. Venonat, the final member of my team. It put up not so much of a fight, and soon, Funster was mine. After some more arduous training, she caught up to the rest of my team.

A VERY Long and annoying trip through Route 12, and I finally reached Fuschia City, the site of my next Gym Battle. Luckily, bug types are effective against Poison, so I wasn't worried going into the battle. Although Fuschia is also the site of the Safari Zone, I thought I'd take my luck with the Gym first. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwkaNsZi6EQ

I wasn't prepared for him to take out Parasect in one hit... and the whole Self Destruct at the end was messed up :(

Current Team:

Celest (Butterfree)
Level: 37
12.png

Confusion
Psybeam
Stun Spore
Razor Wind

Spitfire (Beedrill)
Level: 36
15.png

Poison Sting
Cut
Pin Missile
Twin Needle

Funster (Venomoth)
49.png

Tackle
Stun Spore
Poison Powder
Leech Life

Shroomie (Parasect)
47.png

Scratch
Spore
Mega Drain
Dig

Clamps (Pinsir)
127.png

Vicegrip
Seismic Toss
Guillotine
Body Slam

Suzume

Fire Fist
Years
Yes, banners would be cool. I suck at that stuff myself though, unfortunately. >_<

And I'll add you to the list, Tony Montana. Good luck! =D
Did you forget about me? :<

Well, I started my normal-type challenge already anyway, even though I'm not officially added to the list. I named my charater Red and my rival Blue (accidentally, later I realised that it should have been Green. :/) Chose Charmander as a starter, caught Pidgey (lv 2) and Rattata (lv 3). The small Pidgey kept fainting all the time, so when I soon encountered level 4 Pidgey, I captured it and threw the smaller on on my computer with Charmander. :P I trained Pidgey and Rattata a little more and then went to capture a Spearow (lv 4). (the more the merrier! ^^) I trained all three for a while, and entered the Viridian forest when all of them were on level 8. Went through Viridian forest, returned to defeat my rival, trained at Viridian forest (and encountered at least 5 Pikachus in the process :O).

I thought I could finally try challenging Brock when my Pokemon were all lv 12. Surprisingly, I succeeded on the first try. With Geodude, I used Pidgey to use Sand-Attack as many times as possible so Geodude wouldn't do much damage on me during the slow match. Then I used Gust and changed to Spearow when Pidgey's health was low. Spearow used peck until Geodude fainted. With Onix, I made Rattata use Tail Whip as many times as possible, and then just kept attacking, even if Onix used Bide. Because of that, Rattata fainted, but Pidgey finished the job and Onix was defeated as well.

I continued my journey on Route 3 and defeated all trainers. I started to search for Jigglypuff from the grass, I just couldn't find one. Later, when all my pokemon had leveled up once during the search, Jigglypuff appeared. Since my pokemon were already on level 15 and it was only lv 3, I couldn't attack it but kept throwing Pokeballs until it stayed in. I trained Jigglypuff a little after this.

Play time: 2:59

My current team:

Jigglypuff
level 6
Spr_1b_039.png

Sing

Rattata
level 15
Spr_1b_019.png

Hyper Fang
Tail Whip
Quick Attack
Tackle

Pidgey
level 15
Spr_1b_016.png

Gust
Sand-Attack
Quick-Attack

Spearow
level 15
Spr_1b_021.png

Peck
Fury Attack
Leer
Growl

Tony Montana

Say Hello To My Little Friend!
Years
All right, I beat Brock and recorded the battle. Here's the URL:

youtube.com/watch?v=QFxxR09iVbs

Now I'm headed to Mt. Moon

Current Team:

Grounder (Nidorino)
Leer
Tackle
Horn Attack
Double Kick

Nidoran (F) (Forgot to nickname it)
Growl
Tackle
Scratch
Double Kick

Last edited:

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
Years
Did you forget about me? :<

Well, I started my normal-type challenge already anyway, even though I'm not officially added to the list. I named my charater Red and my rival Blue (accidentally, later I realised that it should have been Green. :/) Chose Charmander as a starter, caught Pidgey (lv 2) and Rattata (lv 3). The small Pidgey kept fainting all the time, so when I soon encountered level 4 Pidgey, I captured it and threw the smaller on on my computer with Charmander. :P I trained Pidgey and Rattata a little more and then went to capture a Spearow (lv 4). (the more the merrier! ^^) I trained all three for a while, and entered the Viridian forest when all of them were on level 8. Went through Viridian forest, returned to defeat my rival, trained at Viridian forest (and encountered at least 5 Pikachus in the process :O).

I thought I could finally try challenging Brock when my Pokemon were all lv 12. Surprisingly, I succeeded on the first try. With Geodude, I used Pidgey to use Sand-Attack as many times as possible so Geodude wouldn't do much damage on me during the slow match. Then I used Gust and changed to Spearow when Pidgey's health was low. Spearow used peck until Geodude fainted. With Onix, I made Rattata use Tail Whip as many times as possible, and then just kept attacking, even if Onix used Bide. Because of that, Rattata fainted, but Pidgey finished the job and Onix was defeated as well.

I continued my journey on Route 3 and defeated all trainers. I started to search for Jigglypuff from the grass, I just couldn't find one. Later, when all my pokemon had leveled up once during the search, Jigglypuff appeared. Since my pokemon were already on level 15 and it was only lv 3, I couldn't attack it but kept throwing Pokeballs until it stayed in. I trained Jigglypuff a little after this.
Aiyh, I'm so sorry! *adds you to the list right away* :D

And that is exactly how I always used to battle Brock, regardless of whether I had a monotype team or not. XD Pidgey's Sand Attack just seemed to be the best way of outsmarting those guys. ^_^

Ikwaylx

Man with 10000 pronounciations
Years
It appears that there is NO way to lose against Sabrina; none whatsoever thanks to the AI this game employs. I find it an insult to the difficulty of Koga that this match was so easy!
I'll upload it later, until then I'll continue until Cinnabar.

Harry Blue5

I vill suck your Electricity..
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 27, 2011
I'll do fire please. Just one thing, I may not be that active. My school has a lot of homework. Plus, being 12, my attention span is low...

EDIT: Started with Charmander. I fought Brock at level 15. Geodude... he really embarrassed Brock, seriously. He did nothing to me and just level me up to 16. Onix fell easily, but he did leave a mark. I survived with 5hp, he could've of killed me but luckily the AI seemed to want me to win. I survived the battle by only using EMBER for the whole match. Fire beats rocks? Man there's a problem with the system.

Last edited:

Tony Montana

Years
Yay! I caught a Geodude and got through Mt. Moon. Also Beat Rival Gary on Nugget Bridge and I'm struggling to beat Misty.

Team:

Grounder(Nidorino)
Lv 22
Leer
Poison Sting
Horn Attack
Double Kick

Nidorina
Lv 20
Growl
Poison Sting
Scratch
Double Kick

Roll (Goedude) O_o
Lv 20
Tackle
Defense Curl
Rock Throw

NOTE: If you wonder why I didnt use my Moon Stone On Nidorino/Nidorina, it's because Misty would inflict serious damage with Bubblebeam, as Nidoking/Nidoqueen are Ground-Type.

Ru-Kun

bleh...
Years
Okay another update.

Idecided to go ahead and use my Pikachu until I get a water Pokemon. made it through the Viridian forest. By the time I got out Pika was level 15. I went and healed Pika. I bought about 5 potions. I went to the gym. Defeated the gym trainer. Then somehow beat Brock on my first try. Obtained the Boulder Badge and Bind. I went throught the route up to Mount Moon trying to avoid all the trainers possible. When I got to the Pokemon Center I bought a Magikarp and named it Gyara. I kept Pika to help raise Gyara.

Team:

Magikarp/Gyara
lvl-12
-Splash
-
-
-

Pikachu/Pika(temporary)
lvl-19
-Thundershock
-Quick Attack
-Tail Whip
-Thunder Wave

Tony Montana

Years
Finally, I decided to evolve Nidorino and teach him Mega Punch. I trained it for a while and defeated Misty. Ill add the link in another post.

Now I'm headed for Vermillion City.

Team:

Grounder(Nidoking)
Lv 25
Thrash
Poison Sting
Mega Punch
Double Kick

Nidorina
Lv 22
Growl
Poison Sting
Scratch
Double Kick

Roll (Geodude)

Lv 21
Tackle
Defense Curl
Rock Throw
Selfdestruct

Uploaded the battle against Misty.
Link is:
youtube.com/watch?v=qWdRi4i977Y

Last edited:

Ikwaylx

Years
Okay, my first blog in a while.

Sabrina the Teenage Twitch
Alright, after my awesome fight against Koga, I decided to take it easy and travel along the boardwalk to the east, fighting and grinding against trainers in preperation for difficult fights ahead. Never have I seen such a huge increase in the levels between the first half of the Gym Leaders and the second half. To be honest with you, I like that!
In Saffron, I noticed that the Silph Co. Building had no guard in front. Because of this, I took up the oppurtunity and entered. To my 'surprise', there were Rocket Grunts inside! Now, I didn't exactly go on every floor, so I missed a load of Rocket members. It's no big deal but I could've used them for training now that I look back: Bah!
I also found a room with a TM in it; none other than Earthquake! I drooled in adorement at the TM and replaced Dig with it immediately to Ricky. Maybe I should've taught it to Hitomi or Marcus? I say who cares?

Gary decided to be a pain and show up, waiting for me like a jerk. I gave him a sound beating to pay him a lesson... A lesson IN PAIN! I smashed him, rolled him up and tossed him aside like a paper ragdoll. No rival will take away my right to be awesome with fighting types!
All that aside, once again I go up and find Team Rocket in the way. Yeah, thanks, I pushed them away and went over to Giovanni who said that he'll teach me a lesson in pain.. I just said that: PLAGIARIST! I got mad and Earthquaked him to death. All of his pokemon were easy to defeat, so it wasn't a big deal or anything.

When that was all done, I got a Master ball for my efforts from the chairman of Silph. What a kindly old fellow, too bad I'll never get to use it... ever.
I left the building, entered the gym and found the trainers.....
kinda easy.
Wow, I never thought I'd say that, but it's true. I thought Psychic types were threats, but I manage to destroy the Abra line in one hit and the rest weren't very strong at all. The only challenge were the channellers inside the gym with their Gastlys and Haunters; I still can't believe that they only have 3 ghost types in the first generation.
Sabrina was, well.. Watch this video, you'll see what I mean
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=cS5P54M05jY

Pack your Marshmallows, we're going for a fiery match!

Yeah.. Sabrina really was surprising, but I'm proud of my Marshbadge. One question... Why Marshbadge? What's so psychic about marshes? Am I forgetting something about marshes here?
Ugh, that out of the way, I travelled to vermillion city and spelunked through Diglett cave in order to reach Pallet town fast and easily. When in Pallet I took the mildly short surf down; all the while pitching fights, killing jellyfish and MORE! It was fun apart from that one trainer with 6 bloomin' magikarps. There's ALWAYS one..

In Cinnabar, the gym was locked so I had to go into the Pokemon Mansion to look for a key. Damn, the wild battles are way more common here, it's nuts.
After finally reaching the key and finding no trace of Dittotic life around, I escape roped my way out, went to the mart to buy 'burn heal'. And proceeded to purposely answer every quiz wrong! Tm28 REALLY IS Tombstoner!

The battle with Blaine was easy but it peeved me off. I was going to use Thrash, but I accidentially used Seismic toss! ARghrgrghh!
Here's the video
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq4JeCK5vOo

Current Party:
gby057.gif

Stallion
Level 47
Karate Chop
Screech
Seismic Toss
Thrash
Can't be bothered with talking about the highest stat anymore, too tedious..

gby062.gif

Wranthor
level 48
Ice Beam
Surf
Hypnosis
Body Slam

gby067.gif

Marcus
Level 47
Karate Chop
Seismic Toss
Strength
Rock Slide

gby068.gif

Ricky
Level 47
Strength
Low Kick
Seismic Toss
Earthquake

gby106.gif

Hitomi
level 47
Double Kick
Meditate
Rolling Kick
Jump Kick

And that's all for now! Next segment will come when I reach the Indigo Plateau and then a Youtube Bonanza!

Last edited:

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
Years
When the Americans translated the original Red and Blue, they somehow mixed up the names of Sabrina and Koga's badges. "Soul" was supposed to be Sabrina's, and "Marsh" was meant for Koga. I think you can see that these fit better. =D

Good luck on your next badge! :D

I'll just about ready to challenge the Elite Four. But I intend to get that Slowpoke evolved before I begin. Will update when I get through it, including videos. ^_^

Ikwaylx

Years
When the Americans translated the original Red and Blue, they somehow mixed up the names of Sabrina and Koga's badges. "Soul" was supposed to be Sabrina's, and "Marsh" was meant for Koga. I think you can see that these fit better. =D

Good luck on your next badge! :D

I'll just about ready to challenge the Elite Four. But I intend to get that Slowpoke evolved before I begin. Will update when I get through it, including videos. ^_^
Good luck to you too with the Elite 4! Thanks for clearing that up, I knew something was wrong with them.
The next badge will be easy, all I need is to go wild with Wranthor. Simple!

Oh, and I uploaded the videos in case you posted that before I edited my post.

Years
poison quest

where do you guys take the images from, the site doesn't lwt me post images from bulbapedia?
just defeated brock, and i think he is the weakest of all rock gym leaders.
i'm in mt.moon, beating team rocket!
thats my team
ivysaur lvl 23
nidorino lvl 22
nidorina lvl 20
beedrill lvl 11
zubat lvl 11

Last edited:

Tony Montana

Years
Oh, forgot to upload the 3rd battle vs Rival Gary. Here's it:

youtube.com/watch?v=wD1QutX85mw

Myzou

Lost and Confused xD
Years
I'm avoiding the annoying run to Sabrina atm <_< lol.

Though, I just realized HOW many pokemon gyms are weak to bug in first generation, almost all the gyms I've had super effective moves for -.-

Tony Montana

Years
I arrived in Vermillion, Caught a Diglett, Got through S.S.Anne, Geodude Evolved, Kicked Rival's ass and got HM Cut
Also, I made quick work of Lt. Surge's Raichu, got HM Flash and Evolved Nidorina and Diglett

Ill upload the battles later

Team:

Grounder (Nidoking)
Lv 27
Thrash
Poison Sting
Mega Punch
Double Kick

Dugtrio
Lv 26
Scratch
Growl
Dig
Cut

Nidoqueen
Lv 25
Growl
Poison Sting
Scratch
Double Kick

Roll (Graveler)
Lv 25
Tackle
Defense Curl
Rock Throw
Selfdestruct

Years
I'm just entering the rock tunnel, ready to kick some trainer's asses!
thats my team-
031.gif

BONITA/Nidoqueen lvl 33
body slam
scratch
tackle
poison sting

034.gif

BONO/Nidoking lvl 26
thrash
tackle
horn attack
poison sting
042.gif

NOYING/Golbat lvl 30
bite
leech life
confuse ray
supersonic
003.gif

BULBAZINE/Venusaur
tackle
rasor leaf
vine whipe
leech seed
plus i have a Beedrill(to use cut) named USELY and an Ekans named JESSY but their lvl is low.

Ikwaylx

Years
I'm at the Elite 4! It's time for an epic battle and the final part of this saga of the Macho fighers!
Giovanni with cheese
I felt like I needed a bit of a grind, so I went back to the sea routes and the Silence Bridge to fight all the trainers I missed earlier on when I went through the route. This managed to, in all, get me to level 50 and 49 in total. I was far beyond strong enough to destroy Giovanni in a flash!

A long walk to Viridian, but when I got there I decided to deposit my items for later when I reach the Indigo Plateau, including TMs and key items..
The gym wasn't too hard, and it had a bucket load of trainers meaning a hefty amount of experience was to be had! Once again, too easy for this. I think I'm just too good for these dudes!
Giovanni wasn't much of a challenge, I defeated all but one of his pokemon with Hitomi. The reason for that was because he was overlooked as crap during his last 3 battles, so I decided to give him a chance for once. He did well. Here's the video for your Gio needs!
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tK0yiGwNeDI

Now that I have all 8 badges, I went to the nearby route and encountered my rival! Not again! Agh do I hate him.. Well, he destroyed 2 of my pokemon which makes him quite the guy. His team is getting more challenging to defeat, the next time I battle him won't be pretty...

Well, not much left to say apart from Victory Road. Victory Road was a real pain in this version. The strength puzzles are bad enough but they have wild pokemon and trainers too.
Moltres! Moltres was destroyed within two hits; dissappointing for a legendary bird. It should've thrashed me, but it did the oposite.

Current Party:
gby057.gif

Stallion
Level 52
Karate Chop
Screech
Seismic Toss
Thrash

gby062.gif

Wranthor
level 52
Ice Beam
Surf
Hypnosis
Body Slam

gby067.gif

Marcus
Level 51
Karate Chop
Seismic Toss
Strength
Rock Slide

gby068.gif

Ricky
Level 51
Strength
Low Kick
Seismic Toss
Earthquake

gby106.gif

Hitomi
level 51
Double Kick
Meditate
Hi Jump Kick
Mega Kick

DEAR DUDES:
Yo, as I'm about to go to the Elite 4, this is my last chance to use any of the TMs I have. What do you think I should teach to my fighting types before I go? Please suggest some movesets! I'd be thankful to a great degree.

Next segment will be a review of all the Elite 4 battles and the introduction to the second generation!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back