• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do You think Lucario should be Dark type?

Do you think Lucario should gain the Dark Type?

• Yes, I think he should be Fighting/Dark

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • No, hes better off Fighting/Steel

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Neither....another typing would be better.(Explain)

Votes: 4 16.7%

• Total voters

CourageHound

Trust & Courage. Nothing More
Years
A topic formaly disscussed in the Dark Type Fan Club.

However I dont think it was disccused nearly as thoroughly as it should have been. As such I would like to know what you all think.

Do you think that Lucario should be Fighting/Dark instead of Fighting/Steel? Would you merely like it because it would make him cooler? Do you think it makes more sense? Or do you think it would benifit more competitively? If he were to gain dark typing, do you think Lucario should get another abillity or move? Make sure to explain your reasonning.

Disscus.

Squidchan

The Lady Cthulhu
Years
I'm not skilled enough in competitive battling to know whether Lucario would benefit from being Dark type instead of Steel, however, I don't think it would fit. In fact, Psychic seems to fit more as he seems to be the embodiment of empathy.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
No, in order for Lucario for be part Dark, his entry has to mention him having a mischevous side. Besides, Fighting/Psychic suits him more, but he'll lose his Lightning Bruiser status from his Steel typing.

Cid

Years
Judging from how I perceive Lucario's usual motifs, it would make sense for Lucario to not actually be a Steel-type. I mean apart from a few steel spikes, I really don't see how it connects with him. Now, I don't know about making him part-Dark instead, but I suppose it would make sense somewhat, if Lucario were intended to be like Anubis or Set from Egyptian mythology. The anime and some other promotional material (as well as the spin-off games and Riley from DPPt, too) kind of stray away from that notion though, and I'm thinking it has to do with the Dark-type being known as the "Evil-type" in Japanese. After all, Lucario's depicted as a valiant stalwart most of the time, so that doesn't really fit with the typing that hints at evil (maybe not as heavy as like pure evil since it's a franchise for kids, but leaning towards mischief and misdeeds).

I think being part Steel benefits him in battle, though. It removes the Psychic and Flying-type weaknesses, for one. He also gains a lot of resistances, so it's really a good typing combination, imo. Plus the spikes look pretty cool on his design. However, concept-wise I think Psychic-type fits him more than the Dark-type because of all the aura stuff, but since we already have Gallade and Medicham for that, I guess it wouldn't be too original.

CourageHound

Years
Judging from how I perceive Lucario's usual motifs, it would make sense for Lucario to not actually be a Steel-type. I mean apart from a few steel spikes, I really don't see how it connects with him. Now, I don't know about making him part-Dark instead, but I suppose it would make sense somewhat, if Lucario were intended to be like Anubis or Set from Egyptian mythology. The anime and some other promotional material (as well as the spin-off games and Riley from DPPt, too) kind of stray away from that notion though, and I'm thinking it has to do with the Dark-type being known as the "Evil-type" in Japanese. After all, Lucario's depicted as a valiant stalwart most of the time, so that doesn't really fit with the typing that hints at evil (maybe not as heavy as like pure evil since it's a franchise for kids, but leaning towards mischief and misdeeds).

I think being part Steel benefits him in battle, though. It removes the Psychic and Flying-type weaknesses, for one. He also gains a lot of resistances, so it's really a good typing combination, imo. Plus the spikes look pretty cool on his design. However, concept-wise I think Psychic-type fits him more than the Dark-type because of all the aura stuff, but since we already have Gallade and Medicham for that, I guess it wouldn't be too original.

Yea I can see where your coming from. Fighting/Psychic does make more sense than anything. However I dont think all dark types fit the mischeivous and wicked archtype. Like say Tyranitar, becoming dark type. Of which Tyranitar is very competitive and sometimes aggresive, but that is a common trait among many pokemon. Although Psychic or steel would either suit him better or seem more practical, I think Dark type would also be a bit cool givin his coloration and origin.

Sassy Milkshake

It's ok to cry.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 10, 2013
I think even just mono-Fighting would've been sufficient. He's not exactly the embodiment of Dark as mentioned, nor Steel. Not sure whether taking Steel away takes away more competitive advantages, but it makes sense to me.

Mononoke Hime

viva emptiness
Years
I never understood its typing fighting/steel. I mean, why steel? Because it has something pointed in its chest? There's honestly nothing to do with steel in lucario, and also it don't even learn many steel moves afterall.
Maybe they gave it this typing to give more power to lucario, and I don't know why.

But, answering the question:
As others said above, Lucario looks like it's dark typed in it's design and learnset, but by analyzing it's behaviour it's quite improvable that it could be naturally dark.
To me, lucario should be fighting/psychic,despite of it's learnset.

The Grubby Pup

Where's mah shiny squeaky ball
Years
Well, to me...No. It doesn't really doesn't look all that dark-typish. Granted, that it doesn't really look all the Steel-Typish neither.

But...I sit and start thinking about the Frillish-line...and ask...why is it part Ghost. What I'm sayin' is Pokemon is always coming up with strange type combinations.

CourageHound

Years
Bulbapedia~

Origin
Jellicent and its pre-evolution were most likely inspired by the Nurarihyon, a jellyfish youkai that is either shown as a demonized jellyfish or as a jellyfish-like man who wears refined, sometimes regal, clothing. It is also possible that they was inspired by the Kurage no Hinotama, a sort of jellyfish-like will-o'-the-wisp.

Oh and...

Lucario appears to be based on the Egyptian god of funerals, Anubis, who has the head of a jackal. Anubis's role in Egyptian mythology was to judge the hearts of deceased souls based on their actions during life.

Seems kinda dark type-ish.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2021
I actually thought that Lucario shouldn't be dark type at all, and the steel and fighting type was actually the correct type.

But after reading CourageHound's post:

Bulbapedia~

Origin
Jellicent and its pre-evolution were most likely inspired by the Nurarihyon, a jellyfish youkai that is either shown as a demonized jellyfish or as a jellyfish-like man who wears refined, sometimes regal, clothing. It is also possible that they was inspired by the Kurage no Hinotama, a sort of jellyfish-like will-o'-the-wisp.

Oh and...

Lucario appears to be based on the Egyptian god of funerals, Anubis, who has the head of a jackal. Anubis's role in Egyptian mythology was to judge the hearts of deceased souls based on their actions during life.

Seems kinda dark type-ish.

It makes me rethink on what I wanted to post. The point on that Lucario appears to be based on that Egyptian thingy that judges souls deceased souls really seems to make it dark. But thats just a look-alike right? So, I don't really know now. The only person that really knows is the Game Freak designers. So for now, I will just say its fighting and dark/psychic, but the colour scheme makes it looks like fighting and steel/dark.

EDIT:
But the naming sense, also from Bulbapedia:

Name origin
Lucario may be derived from the reverse of orichalcum (a mythical metal) or oracle (referring to its supernatural abilities involving aura). It may also involve lupaster (a subspecies of the Canis aureus), Cairo, pharaoh, or lykos (Greek for wolf).

The naming sense is supposed to be a metallic type of wolf. Thats makes it steel and fighting.

However, with that aura thingy, it makes it Fighting and Psychic.

So yeah that long wall of text with sucky English and lots of grammar errors is not suitable for reading, so I will summarise.

Design wise, its Fighting and Dark. Colour wise its Fighting and Dark with a little bit of steel. Naming sense, its 100% Fighting and steel. With its special aura abilities, its Fighting and Psychic.

So, why don't they just make Lucario and Quad-type Pokemon!

Last edited:

Mononoke Hime

viva emptiness
Years
I'm really starting to think that Lucario should be dark/ghost/psychic and nothing like fighting and steel.

And about the frillish question, I only have to say that any jellyfish is like a dancing ghost flying underneath the water so this totally makes sense.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
Years
I don't see how Lucario can even be a Steel type Pokemon, I mean I know it can learn some Steel type moves while leveling up, well so can Vanilluxe it doesn't mean that Vanilluxe is a steel type. I think they should have let Lucario just be only a Fighting type Pokemon

:t354:TG

MelchiorFlyer

Flygon
Years
he's not a Dark type? Wow. #mindblown I like playing the games and spriting more than paying attention to crazy facts.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
I've sometimes had the misconception that Lucario was a Fighting/Dark-type instead of Fighting/Steel. I mean, he doesn't have much steel parts on him as compared to the other steel-type Pokemon such as Steelix, Magnezone, Metagross, etc, so I don't think of him as one. Despite this, I prefer Lucario as a Fighting/Steel-type as it gives him a lot of advantages and defenses over other types and makes for an excellent team member.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
Appearance wise, yes it looks more fitting to be a Dark type imo. The only that seems to make it a Steel-type are the spikes in it's chest and hands and that's about it.

The ability the sense aura makes it more of a Psychic type. I just don't get why it's part Steel.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I actually thought that Lucario shouldn't be dark type at all, and the steel and fighting type was actually the correct type.

But after reading CourageHound's post:

It makes me rethink on what I wanted to post. The point on that Lucario appears to be based on that Egyptian thingy that judges souls deceased souls really seems to make it dark. But thats just a look-alike right? So, I don't really know now. The only person that really knows is the Game Freak designers. So for now, I will just say its fighting and dark/psychic, but the colour scheme makes it looks like fighting and steel/dark.

EDIT:
But the naming sense, also from Bulbapedia:

Name origin
Lucario may be derived from the reverse of orichalcum (a mythical metal) or oracle (referring to its supernatural abilities involving aura). It may also involve lupaster (a subspecies of the Canis aureus), Cairo, pharaoh, or lykos (Greek for wolf).

The naming sense is supposed to be a metallic type of wolf. Thats makes it steel and fighting.

However, with that aura thingy, it makes it Fighting and Psychic.

So yeah that long wall of text with sucky English and lots of grammar errors is not suitable for reading, so I will summarise.

Design wise, its Fighting and Dark. Colour wise its Fighting and Dark with a little bit of steel. Naming sense, its 100% Fighting and steel. With its special aura abilities, its Fighting and Psychic.

So, why don't they just make Lucario and Quad-type Pokemon!
I never wrapped my head around as to why Lucario is a Fighting/Steel Pokémon because it never looked like a Steel Pokémon to me. But after seeing the "orichalcum" bit in Lucario's origin I can't help but agree that its typing is fine as is.

pikakitten

You met with a terrible fate
Years
I know his origin has something to do with steel but the most steel on him is his horns, maybe, I think dark shows off more on him, especially being able to read aura, seem like his boxer style will be the fighting and design and power will be dark.

Years
  • Seen Aug 9, 2013
Fighting/Psychic would make more sense. In fact, if there was no movie, the fact that he could use some weird Psychic-looking power without being Psychic would look like some gimmicky add-on to an already odd Pokemon. Dark is more mischievous and tricky, and Steel is more defensive, neither really fitting Lucario

Back