• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Change Default Text Color

Rayd12smitty

Shadow Maker
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2016
So the default text color for everything in Essentials is black with a gray shadow. I want to change this to be white because my text boxes and window skins are easier to read that way, and I don't want to have to manually type in \c[8] before every line of text to make it white. Options boxes already have white as the default color but the main text box doesn't. How do I change this?

lx_theo

Game Developer
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 2, 2013
I thought Essentials automatically inverted the color scheme of the text for dark backed message boxes? At least it always seemed to for me.

Rayd12smitty

Shadow Maker
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2016
I thought Essentials automatically inverted the color scheme of the text for dark backed message boxes? At least it always seemed to for me.

Yes this is true, except that my text boxes are semi transparent so they appear lighter, but when they are put on a black or dark background, you can't see the black letters well.

lx_theo

Game Developer
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 2, 2013
Yes this is true, except that my text boxes are semi transparent so they appear lighter, but when they are put on a black or dark background, you can't see the black letters well.

Did you use the built in transparency maker in the materials area? Because it works if you do transparency that way.

Rayd12smitty

Shadow Maker
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2016
Did you use the built in transparency maker in the materials area? Because it works if you do transparency that way.

How do I do that? Sorry for all the questions and thanks. I didn't know that was an option.

lx_theo

Game Developer
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 2, 2013
How do I do that? Sorry for all the questions and thanks. I didn't know that was an option.

In the materials area (next to script editor), you can import pictures into the folders of the game. You have the option to pick one color that will be totally transparent, and another to be semi-transparent. People usually use the semi-transparent option to make text boxes like that. Its also regularly used to make shadows in the tilesets.

Rayd12smitty

Shadow Maker
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2016
In the materials area (next to script editor), you can import pictures into the folders of the game. You have the option to pick one color that will be totally transparent, and another to be semi-transparent. People usually use the semi-transparent option to make text boxes like that. Its also regularly used to make shadows in the tilesets.

Thanks I'll take a look. I normally just do that in Gimp

AmethystRain

pixie-powered judgment!
Years
  • Seen Nov 28, 2022
Well, I'm going to commandeer this topic and ask the original question again- does anyone know if we can change the default text colour?
Because, although the opening post says it's black with a grey shadow, it's actually grey with a lighter grey shadow, and being that I want to use a grey background I would like it to be a solid black.

Rayd12smitty

Shadow Maker
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2016
Venom12 VM'd me and told me how to do it. You have to edit SpriteWindow script section. Its in the first few lines. I think around line 9 where it lists the default colors. Just change the numbers there the same you would for other color changed.

AmethystRain

pixie-powered judgment!
Years
  • Seen Nov 28, 2022
Oh, yes. Duh, I should've thought to check there. x.x Lovely, thank you/Venom12!

Back