• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Do you think that some of the Unova Pokemon don't even look like Pokemon?

Pikachukid

Conquest needs a sequel
Years
Well, a few kinda doesn't look like Pokemon to me
Klink's evolution line is gears the last one is like combined with 1st and 2nd pre-evolved forms.
Vanillite's evolution line looks like an ice cream with a cone.
Trubbish's evolution line (I hate to say this) it evolves into garbage.
They kinda ran out of ideas of designs for newer Pokemon for newer generations.

This is starting to get annoying I should've just bolded everything. Klink's last one is combined with 1st and 2nd pre-evolved forms really? Take a look at Magnemite, dugtrio, metagross, and weezing they all evolve by joining together pretty much. Just read Metagross's pokedex entries it states that it evolves when they get together and all that theres nothing wrong with Klinkklank and them, they look cool.
Vanillite really? ok yeah he looks weird, but so does jinx and mr mime. smoochum, drowzee and hypno? Meganium? and seriously what is wooper supposed to be? Some are just plain weird but get over it man
And then Trubbish, what's wrong with him? i think he looks pretty cool and so does garbador (and I'm pretty sure this is the first time anyone's saved his name y'all haven't even bothered to learn his name? shame on yall)
And they haven't run out of ideas if they have, they've been run out of ideas i mean all the evolutions are basically just bigger versions of their pre-evolutions just look at Marriland's pokedexes. look at the big picture,

By the way the post about the Pokerus was the best post here I don't even know why people bothered to post after that.

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
Years
This is starting to get annoying I should've just bolded everything. Klink's last one is combined with 1st and 2nd pre-evolved forms really? Take a look at Magnemite, dugtrio, metagross, and weezing they all evolve by joining together pretty much. Just read Metagross's pokedex entries it states that it evolves when they get together and all that theres nothing wrong with Klinkklank and them, they look cool.
Vanillite really? ok yeah he looks weird, but so does jinx and mr mime. smoochum, drowzee and hypno? Meganium? and seriously what is wooper supposed to be? Some are just plain weird but get over it man
And then Trubbish, what's wrong with him? i think he looks pretty cool and so does garbador (and I'm pretty sure this is the first time anyone's saved his name y'all haven't even bothered to learn his name? shame on yall)
And they haven't run out of ideas if they have, they've been run out of ideas i mean all the evolutions are basically just bigger versions of their pre-evolutions just look at Marriland's pokedexes. look at the big picture,

By the way the post about the Pokerus was the best post here I don't even know why people bothered to post after that.

I agree with everything in this post, save for Vanillite. You can't argue, a Pokemon based off an ice-cream cone is just too stupid, something unprecedented in Pokemon history. Ice cream Pokemon? At least before this thing came up, Pokemon could have been considered serious, more or less. But Vanillite is just plain old stupid, and I'm not the only one to think so.

As for the rest, all the Unova Pokemon are actually very good :p Really creative and such (:

Years
I agree with everything in this post, save for Vanillite. You can't argue, a Pokemon based off an ice-cream cone is just too stupid, something unprecedented in Pokemon history. Ice cream Pokemon? At least before this thing came up, Pokemon could have been considered serious, more or less. But Vanillite is just plain old stupid, and I'm not the only one to think so.

As for the rest, all the Unova Pokemon are actually very good :p Really creative and such (:

For me, I disagree with that. I actually love Vanillite.

It's a cute ice cream whose final evo (Vanilluxe) is tied with Lapras for the highest base stat total of any non-Legendary Ice-type.

I find all the Unova Pokemon creative except for Trubbish, Garbodor, Stunfisk and Druddigon,

Echidna

Years
For me, I disagree with that. I actually love Vanillite.

It's a cute ice cream whose final evo (Vanilluxe) is tied with Lapras for the highest base stat total of any non-Legendary Ice-type.

I find all the Unova Pokemon creative except for Trubbish, Garbodor, Stunfisk and Druddigon,
I don't get why people hate Trubbish and Garbodor. They're trash? Muk's trash. So what? It's creative imo, cause it's like loads of trash came together to make a cuwul Pokemon :p

Stunfisk is awesome like Magikarp is, cause they're funny, lol :p

Druddigon? Seriously? Druddigon is classic awesomeness!

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Meloetta, Throh, Sawk, Vanillite, Vanillish, and Vanilluxe don't look like Pokemon to me. As you may know, James Turner designed the Vanillite evolutionary line, which explains why they suck! WHY DID GF GO TO AN AMERICAN(or Canadian, I forget) FOR CONCEPT ART? :( :(
Talent is talent, irrespective of what nationality you are. Just because Ken Sugimori is Japanese doesn't mean that every single Pokemon designer from now to the end of time has to be Japanese as well!

Pikachukid

Conquest needs a sequel
Years

reread that again lol i sayed yeah he is pretty weird i never really liked him but then again theres always a couple of pokemon that never sit right with me, Mr. mime and Jynx, Quagsire, manetrik's pre-evo electrike, tropius (i liked hiim at first but then I was all like nah), The Rock-Nose pokemon's evolution, Togekiss, and of course vanillite and vanilluxe,

Echidna

Years
Talent is talent, irrespective of what nationality you are. Just because Ken Sugimori is Japanese doesn't mean that every single Pokemon designer from now to the end of time has to be Japanese as well!
That wasn't really my point, but they suck. I mean, the first chance a non-Japanese artist gets a chance to design Pokemon for GF, he makes them that stupid? Their concepts suck, a lot. :(
reread that again lol i sayed yeah he is pretty weird i never really liked him but then again theres always a couple of pokemon that never sit right with me, Mr. mime and Jynx, Quagsire, manetrik's pre-evo electrike, tropius (i liked hiim at first but then I was all like nah), The Rock-Nose pokemon's evolution, Togekiss, and of course vanillite and vanilluxe,
Whaaa? I love Tropius ): :(

conorward509

ashboy509
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 8, 2012
I fully agree mate! im not mad about the unova pokemon as much as kanto,johto,hoenn and sinnoh it just doesnt look the same i dont know can other people back me on this ?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I fully agree mate! im not mad about the unova pokemon as much as kanto,johto,hoenn and sinnoh it just doesnt look the same i dont know can other people back me on this ?

Maybe it's just the fact that you're not used to them. For the others you've spent upwards of like, 10 years and stuff with them, but with Unova Pokemon it's only been a little over two years, so it's a different story. :( Rather than looking not like Pokemon, you just haven't had the time to get accustomed to them.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I dont see how they can't be Pokemon since they're in the games and part of the franchise. Though I do think that maybe there were a few odd Pokemon that doesn't mean that they're not Pokemon... they also seemed to be more humanoid this gen (Meloetta, Pawniard's line, Gothia's line etc). It's just something that bothers me (even Mr Mime, Machop line, etc, they all look weird to me)

Last edited:

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
Like others said if this Gen came first others would look wierd. You got to understand that this is mainly for kids. Look at Gothital and all them.....they look wierd yes.but then look at Mr. Mime and Jynx. They alos look wierd and they are from Gen. 1.

Pokemon look like pokemon because they are in the pokemon world.

At the person who said they looked more humanoid above me. That's the same with Jynx and Mr.Mime plus a few others.

Years
  • Seen Dec 23, 2012
i find garbodor is wierd looking, i like him though but a trash bag looking pokemon for me is kinda funny. was the guy who made him drunk or something

Years
Gears were in Colosseum, Marley, who was in Sinnoh, involved with Shaymin, in a way kind of foreshadowed the Gothita line. Cynthia likes ice cream in the anime...and visits Unova...Cherubi looks food-based, too... like a pink cherry... ice cream with a cherry on top... Cherubi on a Vanilluxe. mmm. Muk was like a sewer Pokémon...Trubbish is a garbage Pokémon. Emolga and Pachirisu as well as Plusle and Minun...resemblence there. Blitzle, electric version of Ponyta. Lillipup and Purrloin like Poochyena and Skitty... 2 Normal type, 2 Dark type. :D Like that comparison. Joltik and Spinarak... spiders! :D

How are the Unova Pokémon not Pokémon?

Last edited:

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
Druddigon looks like something out of Digimon or Dragonball Z.

Haxorus looks like a Digimon.

Vanillite and its evos are freaking ice cream cones.

The Elemental Monkeys look like they come from Dora the Explorer

Chandelure is a freaking chandelier.

Trubbish and Garbodor are freaking garbage.

Conkeldurr has a crappy name and is a fighting pig with pillars.

Keldeo looks like something a brony came up with.

Gothitelle is a freaking gothic lolita weeaboo.

Klink and its evos are freaking gears. And I know what all you anti-Gen I and II idiots will be saying: "HURR DURR MAGNEZONE WUZ DA SAMEEEE!!!!111". Well, at least Magnezone looked cool.

Sigilyph was a freaking...umm...I guess a flying jack-o-lantern covered in wooden armor, given huge wings, forks for arms, an eye sticking out of its head, and a garden rake for a tail.

There are a few decent Gen V Pokemon, though, the Snivy line wasn't too bad, Darmanitan was alright, Elgyem and Beheeyem were pretty cool, and I quite liked Joltik and Galvantula.

However, there are other Pokemon in this generation, many of which are covered with pointless spikes, armor, and markings, simply to make them look "cooler" to the little kids. Game Freak has stooped to the level of Digimon by piling overdone weapons, pointless spikes, overdone markings, and purposeless armor on Pokemon. Just look at Genesect and Haxorus as examples:

Genesect: A cockroach, but overloaded with armor, robotic plates, and a gun.

Haxorus: A dragon, but given purposeless spiked armor and a pair of stupid, overblown tusks.

Sounds like Digimon to me...

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
150px-539Sawk.png

Seriously what. How the heck is this thing meant to look like a Pokémon? It just looks like a kung-fu person painted blue :c Things like Vanillite, Garbodor, etc, I can understand since they're still based loosely on something that could be taken to be a Pokémon, but a kung-fu master? Just what. ;;

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
150px-539Sawk.png

Seriously what. How the heck is this thing meant to look like a Pokémon? It just looks like a kung-fu person painted blue :c Things like Vanillite, Garbodor, etc, I can understand since they're still based loosely on something that could be taken to be a Pokémon, but a kung-fu master? Just what. ;;

Honestly, I didn't think that Throh and Sawk were problems, aside from the awful names. It's not like a kung-fu master is a new idea for a Pokemon; Machamp was a bodybuilder, Hitmonlee was a kickboxer, Hitmonchan and Primeape were boxers, Hitmontop was a Capoeira master, and Hariyama was a sumo wrestler. In fact, the concept of a kung-fu master is MUCH better than an ice cream cone or trashbag.

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 30, 2024
As others have said before me, I don't feel like any Pokemon "don't look like Pokemon."

I actually had this idea in gen 4, after seeing Palkia and Dialga for the first time. I saw them and said to myself, "these look like they belong in Digimon." But then DP released, and I played Pearl...and in the context of a Pokemon game, they all "fit." None looked out of place.

There is no definition as to what a Pokemon should look like or be based on. In the context of the game they all "look like Pokemon" to me.

Poke-roogs

Call Me Maybe
Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2012
First post outside of introduction thread, squee!

I don't believe their to be anything wrong with the current generation's designs. Granted, we've treaded a lot of this ground before (Throh and Sawk are very obviously parallels to Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan), but Gamefreak manages to keep most all of the designs fresh. Pokemon that look... well, odd and pointless have been around since Generation 1 (see Lickitung and Farfetch'd, and later, Shuckle). This generation we have the three or four fish Pokemon and Vanillite.

And if I may, we've seen some of the more creative designs this gen, such as Reuniclus, Samurott, and several others.

No, these aren't the Pokemon you grew up with. They are brand new iterations and concepts. That's kinda the point.

Sakura Rain

→Let's laugh at everything!
Years
A lot of them are reminiscent of Digimon, but...you can tell the difference, I think. That being said, ice cream? Garbage bags? You can do better than that, Gamefreak ;___;

Buuuut on the other hand, Samurott, Serperior, Braviary, Joltik/Galvantula, Larvesta/Volcarona, the Lillipup line (i love dog pokemon <3) are some of my all-time favorites. I think the good designs far outweigh the bad ones, tbh.

Back