• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Let's Go] The Let's Go games are part of the core games?

Sloxy

Mon Amour
Years
I'm sorry, but I read that the new games are part of the core pokemon games and are not a spin-off? Can someone confirm this please? I have a hard time believing it, since it looks more like pokemon go, than an actual pokemon game.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
Yes, they are core series games, but it's moreseo geared towards casual players who play Pokemon Go. They're NOT spinoff games. People are just salty or annoyed, I guess. =/

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
Yes, they are core series games, but it's moreseo geared towards casual players who play Pokemon Go. They're NOT spinoff games. People are just salty or annoyed, I guess. =/

What posts have you been reading?

The real gen 8 wouldn't be coming out immediately thereafter if if was truly part of the core series.

Last edited:

Sloxy

Mon Amour
Years
Here is some evidents of where I got my information from after conducting some research:

An article about the new series:
http://www.gamerevolution.com/news/391981-pokemon-lets-go-core-game-not-spin-off

Video evidence of the conference, just watch like the first minute.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjQAaL5YeiE

He does say that one of the three products is part of the main series. Although they never directly mention which game is the main series, they state and I quote "The second is the new main series, pokemon RPG, for a nintendo switch". This just leads me to believe that they are talking about the Let's Go Games. However, contradictory to this, the game that they announced to be RPG for switch is the 2019 product . Analyze the information as you will, but the pokemon Let's Go games, aren't directly said to be core series. I then draw the conclusion, that no, the Let's Go series is not a part of the core games, but another game set to release in 2019 is. Whether or not part of it, you will have to buy a nintendo switch to play the next game which absolutely sucks in my opinion.

Well there is my conclusion to that question.

Last edited:

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
Years
"Whether or not part of it, you will have to buy a nintendo switch to play the next game which absolutely sucks in my opinion."

If everyone go by this logic, we will still be stuck in Gameboy era up till now then?

Sloxy

Mon Amour
Years
Not precisely, I just mean't that there is no need of moving the games to the switch. Obviously color and animation has been improved since the gameboy, I don't see how the nintendo switch will change anything. And if an argument is "graphics", then really? Let's be honest, if you're a pokemon fan, you don't care about graphics. Of course you could always improve the animation, but yet again that's just opinion based, whether it's actually a want over a need..

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
Not precisely, I just mean't that there is no need of moving the games to the switch. Obviously color and animation has been improved since the gameboy, I don't see how the nintendo switch will change anything. And if an argument is "graphics", then really? Let's be honest, if you're a pokemon fan, you don't care about graphics. Of course you could always improve the animation, but yet again that's just opinion based, whether it's actually a want over a need..

Pokemon cant stay on the 3ds forever. I just hope Gamefreak pushes the switch to its limit with an awesome gen 8 game and not an underdeveloped game that can be done on the 3ds.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
I've seen this question (/argument) come up a lot.

Honestly, what difference does it make.

Eresse

Gladion Trash
Years
I've seen this question (/argument) come up a lot.

Honestly, what difference does it make.
I think people are concerned about spinoff game mechanics bleeding into the core games, which can be either a good thing or a bad thing, depending on who you ask.

Sloxy

Mon Amour
Years
I think people are concerned about spinoff game mechanics bleeding into the core games, which can be either a good thing or a bad thing, depending on who you ask.

Precisely, I want the battle mechanic in the wilderness to stay. I want to be able to battle the Pokemon before I catch it.

Think about when you are going to catch the legendaries, are you seriously just going to throw pokeballs at it constantly. I know that it's the same currently, but at the very least there are tactics and strategies applied to that. Using sleep and paralyze etc. Making sure you don't one shot the pokemon.

I mean I guess it's still the same concept, but just removing the a step, but the step was what added challenge and fun to the game.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I always thought it was a bit weird to mindlessly going around being violent to wild pokemon to grow your own...

I suppose it's a pokemon handheld rpg, and as such a core game in contrast to PMD or Conquest etc. But it probably isn't set in the same in-game universe as the other main series games, if we have a new Kanto and no wild pokemon battles etc?

Sloxy

Mon Amour
Years
I always thought it was a bit weird to mindlessly going around being violent to wild pokemon to grow your own...

I suppose it's a pokemon handheld rpg, and as such a core game in contrast to PMD or Conquest etc. But it probably isn't set in the same in-game universe as the other main series games, if we have a new Kanto and no wild pokemon battles etc?

No, the I have found out that the let's go games are not a part of the main series, the pokemon game in 2019 will be though.

Years
  • Age 19
  • Seen Sep 10, 2018
I hope so honestly, if they aren't then playing them won't feel as gratifying

Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 17, 2019
Honestly, I like a few ideas that Let's Go is bringing. I like that the encounters aren't random. However I would prefer that you do battle them before catching. So I think a hybrid of the two would be a good idea to try.

As for 3DS, we've had more than enough Pokemon games for the 3DS. It's time to move onto stronger hardware, which is still portable.

I have hopes they?ll let you move Pok?mon from this game into Pok?mon Bank, and to me, that would make the experience gratifying.

I honestly doubt it. I've been reading that you can transfer Pokemon from Pokemon GO to Let's Go, but nothing about Pokemon Bank. However I'm sure the Pokemon Bank will be a thing when Gen 8's game launches on Switch.

Caaethil

#1 Greninja Fan
Years
It's murky because these terms are mostly fan-governed. GF/Nintendo has used them from time to time, but there's isn't really a hard line, or even a need for one. It's fans who give these terms power. Same as the idea of a 'generation' - we can argue all day about if this is gen 7, gen 7.5, gen 8 or completely separate, but does it even matter?

The problem is that these terms worked very well in the past because things were very clear cut and formulaic. We could consider games "main series" because they always followed a very predictable formula. New installments have different bells and whistles but the base experience is the same. They've gotten a bit bolder with time, first adding bigger bells and whistles (mega evolutions, etc) and then going as far as to ditch gyms for a little while.

I'd say that Let's Go is a continuation of that trend, a genuine effort by GameFreak to create something different than they have before. I don't think that makes it a side-game, but again, definitions don't really matter.

I guess the concern is that if it's a main game, so to speak, then the ideas it introduces could seep into future games. For better or for worse, I think this is inevitable either way. If the game is successful and people enjoy it, they will continue those ideas. It's being made by the developers of the main series, so even if you don't consider it main series, they're taking notes.

Which of course begs the question, if you call it a side game now, and then gen 8 comes out with all these fancy new Pokemon but still has no wild battles (etc), and then every other new Pokemon game follows suit, will Let's Go then become main series? :)

shadowmoon522

Master of Darkness & Light
Years
  • Age 33
  • PA
  • Seen Apr 22, 2024
if you consider the ranger games spin-offs, then its already happened before. with Soaring in the sky
Rbh21lA.png

it's not like stuff thats shows up in other games and media hasn't made it's way into the main games like pokearth
DQG24ZnX4AAnILs.jpg

that being said, let's go is either a spin off(like pokemon go in-which a good portion of it is clearly based) or a side game(like Colosseum & XD gale of darkness) due to word of god stating that the next core series game is coming in 2019

lets go is just a cross between a marketing scheme to get GO exclusive players into the main series games and masuda messing around cause he knows he can't go messing with the main mechanics in the main series games too much without backlash

Back