• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rank Each Gen's Games

G is for Grant

10th-yr Pokémon Trainer
Years
Which Generation's games did you enjoy the most and why? I feel like it would be interesting to get to know why people enjoyed a specific gen's games more than the other's

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 17, 2019
I liked them all for different reasons, but gen 5 has had by far the least playtime of all sevens gens with me; I just couldn't get into it.

The best games, though, were Gold/Silver/Crystal, and their remakes, HeartGold/Soulsilver. Gold and Silver just added so much to the originals, with breeding, the day/night cycle, held items and more, plus they had the best postgame: the entire Kanto reigon with another 8 gym badges to get! Then Crystal added the option to play as a girl, which was the best thing ever, being a girl myself. And Heartgold/Soulsilver just made these great games even better!

G is for Grant

10th-yr Pokémon Trainer
Years
I liked them all for different reasons, but gen 5 has had by far the least playtime of all sevens gens with me; I just couldn't get into it.

The best games, though, were Gold/Silver/Crystal, and their remakes, HeartGold/Soulsilver. Gold and Silver just added so much to the originals, with breeding, the day/night cycle, held items and more, plus they had the best postgame: the entire Kanto reigon with another 8 gym badges to get! Then Crystal added the option to play as a girl, which was the best thing ever, being a girl myself. And Heartgold/Soulsilver just made these great games even better!

I actually really enjoyed HeartGold and SoulSilver, they were my fourth and fifth games! (Diamond, Pearl and Platinum ranging from first to third) I really loved that I could play through Johto AND Kanto! Seeing as I never had the chance to play them. I bought Crystal off the eShop just the other day, haven't touched it yet though.

Years
Personally i found the most enjoyment from Generation five despite the amount of criticism it seems to get from some audiences. Specifically Black and White 2. I liked Black and white but the sequels i feel really improved on the originals with a story that is as good as the first games bringing forth a story with a time jump ( 2 years after black and white ). Also it had way more content then the original bringing the PWT which i enjoyed almost as much as the battle frontier in gen 3 and 4. The characters were also really enjoyable and iconic going forth from the gen itself. Colress was both an interesting character and a great meme at the time, Ghetsis was and still is in my opinion the best villain bringing the best ( again my opinion) villainous team in team plasma which itself crafted an interesting story after the first game splitting into two groups with differing philosophies, and some other things i might be forgetting. Of course i understand some of the criticisms involving the game one of which being that the mons that were created were "Uncreative" i somewhat i agree on certain terms of the argument when i look at garbodor and maybe the Ice cream mon evolution line but other that i find most of the other creatures unique in their designs.

Years
1. HeartGold/SoulSilver
Earlier this year, these games have woken up my old love for Pokémon games. I've replayed them few times since then and enjoyed them every single time.

2. X/Y
1st 3DS games might have no postgame unlike HGSS, but their atmosphere, soundtrack, Pokémon and event the story is superior. So why are they on the 2nd place? Well, it's close 2nd place and I would probably place them on the same rank. And if I would not cover remakes here, these would be number 1.

3. Unova games
The whole Gen V has unique atmosphere and Pokémon. And story. For a long time, these were my favourite, but this was one crazy year.

4. RSE/FRLG/GS/ORAS
Okay, now I have to put more games on one spot. RSE, FRLG and GS are the games I go for when I want to play Pokémon game but also need to do something else. I've play these games so many times that I can complete them on autopilot.
As for ORAS, I play them when I want to enjoy Hoenn's story.

5. DPPt
Sinnoh games feel really meh to me. They don't do anything spectacular, but also aren't bad. They are average Pokémon games that I don't mind playing.

6. Alola games
These games could be the best Pokémon games ever. They had everything going to them. But then, GF delivered badly optimized handholding sloooow corridor games for 60€ and then decided that it's good idea to release these games again for the full price. These games put me on the long pause of playing Pokémon games this summer.

7.Literally anything else

8.RBY/LGPE
I know RBY were the first Pokémon games and I should be grateful that they exist, but they aged so badly that they're unplayable for me. Well Red and Blue at least. Yellow isn't that bad, but I don't like exclusives in it.
LGPE weren't even released yet, but I already can say that these are even worse that Alola games. I don't really dig what they did with the games.

Last edited:
Back