• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Showcase and Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arma

The Hyena
Years
Lots of tile errors with the trees Harvey, you gotta pay attention when doing random borders man.

Harvey_Create

Pokemon Apex Team Member
Years
  • Age 27
  • Iowa
  • Seen Jul 12, 2015
well, i know there are errors. i had issues with RMXp, so i had to backup the maps, but when i did and updated everything, tey dissapeared. so i no longer have them

Zodiac.

Flannary Returns!
Years
With the permission of Rayquaza-Dot, I now claim ownership of Rishend Town, as you can see I've changed it from BW to Platinum style which is the chosen style for Pokémon Carbon.

It isn't finished yet but will look better once I start to not rush things.

Spoiler:

Rayd12smitty

Shadow Maker
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2016
@Zodiac
Something seems off with the stairs. It seems like you used individual stairs and stacked them. Its really empty too.

Like the tiles though

Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
^ That, and with vertical cliffs like that, you need stairs longer than the height of the cliff. Pythagoras and all, y'know? Currently, what Zodiac has is a ladder. I'd advise finding a more tesselable stair tile, moving the upperleft stairs slightly to the east and making them 6 tiles high, and the other two stairs 3 tiles high.

Also, the buildings should have borders. At present, the lack of borders clashes with the heavily bordered environment tiles. The left blue building should move slightly east and the right double story house should move slightly northeast.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
With the permission of Rayquaza-Dot, I now claim ownership of Rishend Town, as you can see I've changed it from BW to Platinum style which is the chosen style for Pokémon Carbon.

It isn't finished yet but will look better once I start to not rush things.

Spoiler:

Like the no-outlined tileset for the houses, but not gonna lie, it looks missing without the flowers. Also it clashes with the trees, who have outlines. You might want to put in a sign saying this is Rishend Town xD.

If I were playing a game on this town... I would find it normal, and good-to-go type of style.

And jim42 said the rest of what I wanted to say, except his is more detailed and specific.

Atomic Reactor

Another thing about this map, that MANY people seem to not realize, is that the mountain terrain that you walk on (below the two homes up top) is not the same tile as the mountain terrain that goes on the top of mountains (like the bottom right mountains)
It's a huge mistake that many people don't realize, take a look at any official map with mountains, they are never the same tile. It also just looks lazy.

The stairs have already been mentioned (they need to be longer, and connected)
And the map in general is just boring. Put some flowers in it, don't make the paths so square. Idk, just make the map have a more natural feel. The ponds seem kinda random as well.

Nathan

Blade of Justice
Years
Somehow i feel this map is still as bad as the first one but however...
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Atomic Reactor

Well JNathan ,this map definitely needs a lot of work.
It's a good idea to make sure there's a border of trees around it so we can clearly define the exits and entrances of a map.

On top of that, the map is wayyyy too open. The flowers aren't random or natural looking, looks like you just quickly drew some lines of flowers. Paths are too straight and boring. A very unnatural looking map. Break the grass up a bit, add some to the top half of the map as well. Fix some of these things, then upload what you've fixed :)

Nathan

Blade of Justice
Years
Well JNathan ,this map definitely needs a lot of work.
It's a good idea to make sure there's a border of trees around it so we can clearly define the exits and entrances of a map.

On top of that, the map is wayyyy too open. The flowers aren't random or natural looking, looks like you just quickly drew some lines of flowers. Paths are too straight and boring. A very unnatural looking map. Break the grass up a bit, add some to the top half of the map as well. Fix some of these things, then upload what you've fixed :)
Thanks, that's exactly what I needed. I'll fix it.
EDIT : I just posted a modification of my map.

Last edited:

Atomic Reactor

The bottom path should be enlarged by two tiles, to the left.
Maybe break the paths up a bit? Have like a line of grass going through them?
Scatter the flowers more, in most games, they have a checkered pattern.
Usually on a route, you HAVE to go through a majority of the grass. Try and make it you're forced through it, but can take the ledges back without going through it.

There's also still openings on the bottom right and bottom left. So we don't know exactly where the entrance/exit is.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Spoiler:

I think that it needs more trees around in places. Also most of the grass can be easily avoided so there is practically no use of it since in the gameplay it would be the same. The signpost is also touching the trees which is a bit disturbing, so position it one tile right IMO. Also the flowers are looking pretty square and alligned, which is something you wouldn't want unless you're making a Floroma Town remake. A little more wildness would do. The pathway should be blocked with trees or grass many-a-times so that facing wild Pokémon would be inevitable. Also, the main reason we use ledges is to avoid stepping on grass on the way down, so yeah, you'll have to put grass on the gaps of ledges.

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
Spoiler:

I like the feel of it, but it seems too bland and blocky. and the flowers look too perfect; I think you need to spread them out a bit more

I get the fleeing its not much of a major route, just a connection route where you may find some interesting pokemon, is that pretty much what it is?

Meanwhile, lets look at my newest map :D
Spoiler:

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Good job with the snowflake design there, and I think you've made the layout well, although I'd suggest adding more 'spice' to the two hills at the start, maybe put up an extra layer, because they look identical.

I think the grass layout is good, but you'll have to block the pathways leading outside the map with a little grass. I think the signpost could be moved one square left, but that's only my nagging opinion xD. I'm sure there are way more experienced mappers than me though... xD

Rayd12smitty

Shadow Maker
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2016
Does eevee evolve to Glaceon on this map?

I really like the snowflake!

There is too much grass, especially in the upper area. Also I recommend making the mountain/hills more natural and less boxy. Cool idea

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
Does eevee evolve to Glaceon on this map?

I really like the snowflake!

There is too much grass, especially in the upper area. Also I recommend making the mountain/hills more natural and less boxy. Cool idea
nah, I never liked the whole area exclusive evolution, I decided to make every evolution a stone evolution, so there is an ice one and a grass one for leafeon and glaceon, and the fearow+growlithe equivalents :P
I'll get rid of some grass, and I added another layer to the mountains but i kinda like how it looks, and the player wont see part of it anyway so i think it looks pretty good

Nathan

Blade of Justice
Years
I took you guys advice and made a remake of the map. I think it is good now.
Spoiler:

@Saving Raven : It is just a connection route, not too important.
EDIT : yup, i'm really bad with flowers.

Years
  • Seen Jun 2, 2014
For a starter route,its good! Needs more grass though. The player can get by with out stepping on anything!
Anyways, what did you mean about I have a feeling its as bad as the first one?

Nathan

Blade of Justice
Years
I meant as bad as the first route map i made. This doesn't have a lot of grass because right after there is Route 1A then the Hitch Cave which will have many pokemons.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
I took you guys advice and made a remake of the map. I think it is good now.
Spoiler:

@Saving Raven : It is just a connection route, not too important.
EDIT : yup, i'm really bad with flowers.

You might be bad with the flowers but you'll improve don't worry xD.

Great, now it looks like a very formidable and playable map! Although (I'm not gonna rub it in) I think you could add extra trees around near the sign post (A bit away from it, mind you) and an extra layer in some places where the grass is plain. (This might also reduce the flower dilemma)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back