• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: DCC: Hail Frank Ocean

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
so i've been talking to dearest matt about this and we both agreed that there should be a dcc in here considering the amount of regulars this place has now and how it thrives a lot more than it did in the days of the last dcc
this'll get stickied so be sure to post and have fun

just talk about whatever so long as it relates to the overall idea of the forum

starting topic: what movies are you looking forward to in the second half of 2016?

maccrash

foggy notion
Years
It's Been Stuck. I'll post a better list when I'm not on my phone but the couple of films that'll be coming out in the next half of the year (I think) that I'm excited for off the top of my head are The Neon Demon and that new Scorsese film -- Silence, I think? this year's been pretty lacklustre as far as new movies go, or maybe I just haven't seen the good stuff.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
and that new Scorsese film -- Silence, I think?

oh yeah silence looks v interesting
though.... andrew garfield also being involved is so unappealing at the same time. kylo ren might be good in it as well but obviously the main focus will be liam neeson, who apparently starved himself silly for the role and now looks like 15 years older? in any case i'll be watching it.

also the new tom ford movie will be interesting. a single man was a surprisingly fantastic movie so i'll be sure to check out nocturnal animals. plus the new almodovar movie as well. i am an almodovar girl. also interested in the lbj movie starring woody harrelson - i have no doubt it'll probably be a mess that tries to humanise him a la the iron lady, but i do love my historical biopics.

Years
The Birth of a Nation looks like it could be a good film, but I don't know if I'll see it in theatres since I can usually only get people to go along with me for more fun seeming movies. This one seems like it could be a real downer.

Spoiler:

Also, Sadako vs. Kayako (or is it The Ring vs. The Grudge?) looks really terrible-amazing.

Spoiler:

I'll also probably see Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. Among all the big budget, big name movies coming out (Ghostbusters, Star Trek, Suicide Squad, Doctor Strange) it seems like it could be the most interesting and original.

maccrash

foggy notion
Years
The Birth of a Nation looks like it could be a good film, but I don't know if I'll see it in theatres since I can usually only get people to go along with me for more fun seeming movies. This one seems like it could be a real downer.
alright. why did they call it that. I'm sure they've talked about it but surely this is among the worst possible names for a film in 2016.

regardless, I've seen far more older films in theatres so far this year than I have new ones -- I'm supposed to be seeing Persona tomorrow night but I'm not sure I'm going to be able to make it, which is exceptionally disappointing because Liv Ullmann is going to be there for a Q&A. I might fake sick or something to get out of my obligations because I feel like I can't miss this.

Years
alright. why did they call it that. I'm sure they've talked about it but surely this is among the worst possible names for a film in 2016.
I bet it was an intentional jab. They want to bring up all that nasty racism from the original The Birth of a Nation. Or maybe they think they might get someone to see it on accident? It's ballsy in any case, but thems the times we're living in.

EC

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2022
Haven't seen a movie since Anchorman 2, and before that, This Is It, so... looking to keep that trend alive and not go to any movies the rest of this year.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday

I bet it was an intentional jab. They want to bring up all that nasty racism from the original The Birth of a Nation. Or maybe they think they might get someone to see it on accident? It's ballsy in any case, but thems the times we're living in.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Birth_of_a_Nation_(2016_film)#Title
The 2016 film uses the same title as "the title of D.W. Griffith's 1915 KKK propaganda film in a very purposeful way", said The Hollywood Reporter.[4] Nate Parker said his film had the same title "ironically, but very much by design".[5] He told the magazine Filmmaker, "Griffith's film relied heavily on racist propaganda to evoke fear and desperation as a tool to solidify white supremacy as the lifeblood of American sustenance. Not only did this film motivate the massive resurgence of the terror group the Ku Klux Klan and the carnage exacted against people of African descent, it served as the foundation of the film industry we know today. I've reclaimed this title and re-purposed it as a tool to challenge racism and white supremacy in America, to inspire a riotous disposition toward any and all injustice in this country (and abroad) and to promote the kind of honest confrontation that will galvanize our society toward healing and sustained systemic change."

tl;dr the biggest middle finger to d.w griffith & the film industry in general

EC

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2022
I don't watch too many movies but... You guys are gonna want to watch 'The Man in the High Castle'. It's a badass show, although it might be hardly criticized by World War II freaks.

That's still on my "watch later" list, once I finish the 2nd season of Daredevil.

Years
I don't watch too many movies but... You guys are gonna want to watch 'The Man in the High Castle'. It's a badass show, although it might be hardly criticized by World War II freaks.

That's still on my "watch later" list, once I finish the 2nd season of Daredevil.
I saw the first episode of Man in the High Castle and it was okay, but not for me. Nazis and stuff... not really my thing, but it looked well-made. Daredevil was really good in the second season. I'd call it compulsively watchable, but then that is my kind of thing. I am looking for a new show to watch so I'll take suggestions.

maccrash

foggy notion
Years
at the moment I'm watching Master of None and The X-Files (finally). the former is pretty neat and easy to binge. there are a few moments of cringeworthiness but I'm pretty sure that's par for the course for 99% of sitcoms. The X-Files is fucking amazing and is catered to almost all of my aesthetic sensibilities, so I'm cool with that. there are so many more things I need to watch TV-wise, though. I've had Deadwood downloaded for ages.

EC

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2022
Sherlock is great.

"Staying alive! It's so boring! It's just... staying!"

maccrash

foggy notion
Years
yeah I'd love to watch Sherlock at some point, too. and I've heard good things about Fringe; my best friend at the time wouldn't shut up about it when it was ending a few years back.

what are some of you guys' favorite things to listen to over the summer, btw? weather's getting much warmer here and I just finished school so I'd love to hear your selections.

Ozymandias

i'm going on a journey
Years
regardless, I've seen far more older films in theatres so far this year than I have new ones -- I'm supposed to be seeing Persona tomorrow night but I'm not sure I'm going to be able to make it, which is exceptionally disappointing because Liv Ullmann is going to be there for a Q&A. I might fake sick or something to get out of my obligations because I feel like I can't miss this.

aghhhh that sounds so cool! I wish they did stuff like that down here ;-; Persona is one of my favorite Bergman films

Anyways, i know the discussion has shifted more to tv, but i'd like to go back to the topic of movies real quick.

I got the chance to go to an advance screening of "Sunset Song" at a small artsy theater in Atlanta, and it turned out to be alright. The performances were pretty great and the cinematography was very pretty, but there were some issues i had with the pacing and the narrative.

As for other movies this year that I liked... Green Room was a pretty fun film to watch. It was a rather exciting thriller that I thought did it's job very well. I did enjoy Saulnier's Blue Ruin a bit more, but that may just be because I watched that first.

I'm very excited to see Scorsese's Silence, but I have been since that project was announced :3 idk if i'm sold on Andrew Garfield, but I trust Scorsese to knock this one out of the park. I'm also cautiously excited for Keaton's new movie, The Founder. I've really liked Keaton's last few movies, but it's directed by the guy who did The Blind Side so who knows. The Lobster also looks like a rather interesting watch, so I'll probably make another trip to Atlanta to see it.

maccrash

foggy notion
Years
I'm very excited to see Scorsese's Silence, but I have been since that project was announced :3 idk if i'm sold on Andrew Garfield, but I trust Scorsese to knock this one out of the park. I'm also cautiously excited for Keaton's new movie, The Founder. I've really liked Keaton's last few movies, but it's directed by the guy who did The Blind Side so who knows. The Lobster also looks like a rather interesting watch, so I'll probably make another trip to Atlanta to see it.
shit I forgot about The Lobster; pretty sure that opens this week around here. definitely will want to catch that one as I thought Dogtooth was great. also hoping on catching Weiner this weekend; have seen the trailer for it a few times over the past couple months and it looks hilarious / uncomfortable.

and I never got around to seeing Green Room. ): nor did I end up able to shirk my obligations last night to see Persona / the Q&A. alas.

Years
Damn straight The X Files are good. Whoever liked The X Files are gonna like Fringe, you should definitely watch this show. Give it time though, it might not seem at first but it gets pretty good.

Esper, if you liked Daredevil you should watch Sherlock. What? You might wonder :P They're actually pretty alike in various aspects, just a different genre.
Seen Sherlock already. ;) Personally I like Elementary more, partially because there's, well, more of it. How many years was Sherlock on hiatus? 20? 50? Cumberbatch and Freeman are both actors I like, but Moffat is one of those director/producer/showrunner types I have mixed feelings about (like J J Abrams and George Lucas). I'm hoping he'll drop the series and let someone else take over at some point.

And The X-Files are amazing. I rewatched the whole thing last year in preparation for the new episodes.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Age 35
  • NCR
  • Seen Nov 11, 2019
Since my friends and I played a whole lot of Warcraft back in the day, we will be seeing that Warcraft movie, even though the critics' ratings have been really low which of course I won't tell them so that they'll be in for a surprise. Still though we'd probably see it and check if its basically something that we'd like as users and not as some smartasses, and probably have a good laugh afterwards.

Years
Since my friends and I played a whole lot of Warcraft back in the day, we will be seeing that Warcraft movie, even though the critics' ratings have been really low which of course I won't tell them so that they'll be in for a surprise. Still though we'd probably see it and check if its basically something that we'd like as users and not as some smartasses, and probably have a good laugh afterwards.

I had no intention of watching this movie, but when I heard it was directed by Duncan Jones I was slightly curious. He wrote and directed Moon, which I thought was really well done, so maybe this movie will be one that doesn't look anything special on the outside but has some surprising gems on the inside? Or maybe he's just trying to get a money maker under his belt so a studio will let him make something else.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Age 35
  • NCR
  • Seen Nov 11, 2019
I had no intention of watching this movie, but when I heard it was directed by Duncan Jones I was slightly curious. He wrote and directed Moon, which I thought was really well done, so maybe this movie will be one that doesn't look anything special on the outside but has some surprising gems on the inside? Or maybe he's just trying to get a money maker under his belt so a studio will let him make something else.

That's also the reason why we want to see if the Warcraft movie is something that we'd like.

I'll rephrase what i said. I meant to say is that we'd see the movie and try to see it not as movie critics but as Warcraft fans and some regular jimmies and jillies who played a ton of Warcraft 3, some WoW, and what not.

Regular people reviews or "user" reviews have mostly been positive but, ,ost people wouldn't consider regular people's ratings as some sort of empirical material for a movie rating. However, that's basically how me and my friends will treat the Warcraft movie as when we see it, as some regular movie goers. And of course, Rotten Tomatoes ratings is a much different story.

If it is as bad as the critics would say, then of course we'll still find all of the good and great things with the movie.

Back