Sideshow Showcase The place to show side-projects that you're working on, for the small yet still big things you want to do, such as translation patches, "386" patches, and anything small like that.

Ad Content

#176   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
Old 4 Days Ago (4:23 AM).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gunzzzzmaster View Post
    Hi, first of all thanks a lot for this amazing work. I created an account just to tell you this. I've been looking at a few Emerald hacks for a while now and I think yours is the one that checks all the boxes for me, definitely gonna try this one out!

I do have one suggestion, and I don't know if it's even achievable, but I miss the fact that you needed to grind items like Metal Coat and King's Rock for Scizor, Steelix, Slowking... in vanilla. Ofcourse not being able to trade got me looking for a patch in the first place, and this is still better then not having those pokémon at all.
    Maybe requiring those pokémon to hold the item when they reach a certain level in order to evolve, and then consuming the item in the process would be a good solution, but again I don't know if that's even possible to implement.
    Thank you so much, creating an account just to tell me that you like my work is quite high praise, and I hope you continue to enjoy it as much as I do! This did after all start out as a project for myself lol

As for the evolution items, I think it's possible to have them used like evolution stones, which isn't a bad idea. If other people express an interest in something like that I'll look into it, personally I like simple evolutions with less stuff to keep track of. One of my problems with fourth gen was then sheer amount of stones and items and moves needed to be known and locations you had to level up in.... I think I could make them evolve either way, so perhaps I could make it easier to use up the item and evolve early or level up the hard way but I'm not sure if that's 100% possible, worth looking into though, thank you for the suggestion!
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=411844
      #177   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
    Old 4 Days Ago (4:27 AM).

Quote:
      Also could you elaborate on what the PSS does to the Battle Frontier exactly, before I pick what patch I'm going for?
      Oh sure, the trainers in the Battle Frontier were designed with the original types in mind, so for example if a trainer's pokemon knew Fire Punch in the Battle Frontier, it's most likely going to be EV trained towards Special Attack, however after the PSS, Fire Punch is a physical attack so that pokemon who was a powerful combatant before is now less deadly.

That all being said, you can make two files and rename your save to the non PSS version once you hit the Battle Frontier if you feel so inclined
        #178   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
      Old 4 Days Ago (4:32 AM).

Quote:
        Originally Posted by PkmnTrainerKonner View Post
        I apologize if this has already been asked but is there any plan to put fairy-types and fairy-type attacks in this hack? If not in an update it would be cool to see it be an optional patch.
        Not currently planned, I want to figure out 4th gen evos and moves/abilities before venturing into fairy type, if I ever do. I feel fairy type wouldn't be in the spirit of this hack. However since you and a few other people have expressed interest in it, should I get to the point where I can do it, I'll most likely put in an optional patch.

Don't feel like your have to apologize! I love that people take the time to comment on this, and I always reply because I want to show you all that I appreciate you trying out my ROM hack!
          #179   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
        Old 4 Days Ago (5:44 AM).

Quote:
          Originally Posted by dearman4 View Post
          Thank you so much, creating an account just to tell me that you like my work is quite high praise, and I hope you continue to enjoy it as much as I do! This did after all start out as a project for myself lol

As for the evolution items, I think it's possible to have them used like evolution stones, which isn't a bad idea. If other people express an interest in something like that I'll look into it, personally I like simple evolutions with less stuff to keep track of. One of my problems with fourth gen was then sheer amount of stones and items and moves needed to be known and locations you had to level up in.... I think I could make them evolve either way, so perhaps I could make it easier to use up the item and evolve early or level up the hard way but I'm not sure if that's 100% possible, worth looking into though, thank you for the suggestion!
          Quote:
          Oh sure, the trainers in the Battle Frontier were designed with the original types in mind, so for example if a trainer's pokemon knew Fire Punch in the Battle Frontier, it's most likely going to be EV trained towards Special Attack, however after the PSS, Fire Punch is a physical attack so that pokemon who was a powerful combatant before is now less deadly.

That all being said, you can make two files and rename your save to the non PSS version once you hit the Battle Frontier if you feel so inclined
          Thanks for the reply and explanation! Yeah I can understand some people loving more ways of evolving pokémon and more diverse use of items, and other people hating it. I personally feel like it makes the game deeper and even more interesting, as having to collect those specific items is like a mini quest that keeps you playing even more, working towards that perfect Steelix will feel even more rewarding in the end.
            #180   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
          Old 3 Days Ago (12:46 AM).

I have another suggestion but it's a very subjective one. Would it be possible to have the decapitalization patch be an optional one? It just feels very off to me personally and takes away some of the nostalgia. I'm trying to get used to so many text elements being not in caps anymore but I just can't seem to adapt to this rather big change. Other than that I absolutely love the ROM hack so far! I really hope this feedback isn't too negative.
              #181   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
            Old 3 Days Ago (1:19 AM).

Quote:
              I have another suggestion but it's a very subjective one. Would it be possible to have the decapitalization patch be an optional one? It just feels very off to me personally and takes away some of the nostalgia. I'm trying to get used to so many text elements being not in caps anymore but I just can't seem to adapt to this rather big change. Other than that I absolutely love the ROM hack so far! I really hope this feedback isn't too negative.
              Sure it's possible, I was toying around with the idea of making Emerald Final completely modular while I was re-coding the whole thing for v7 (still made a few mistakes haha) though the issue is its a lot of extra work to keep updating all that, I could look into a recapitalization patch, if what I'm thinking of works the way I think, that shouldn't be a problem.

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated, so don't hesitate to tell me something you think I should know!
                #182   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
              Old 3 Days Ago (2:28 AM).

Quote:
                Sure it's possible, I was toying around with the idea of making Emerald Final completely modular while I was re-coding the whole thing for v7 (still made a few mistakes haha) though the issue is its a lot of extra work to keep updating all that, I could look into a recapitalization patch, if what I'm thinking of works the way I think, that shouldn't be a problem.

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated, so don't hesitate to tell me something you think I should know!
                Alright, cool! I'll keep an eye on your updates then :)
                  #183   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                Old 1 Day Ago (3:04 AM).

Quote:
                  Alright, cool! I'll keep an eye on your updates then :)
                  I got a re-capitalization patch ready for ya, it literally undoes the de-capitalization patch from Le Pug so it would work on any hack that uses it but obviously any additional text added won't be affected, also any pokemon caught before applying this patch will not have their names capitalized. Let me know if there are any problems!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u42k2hu7u9r94kr/Pokemon%20Emerald%20Recapitalization.ips?dl=0
                    #184   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                  Old 1 Day Ago (7:44 AM).

Quote:
                    I got a re-capitalization patch ready for ya, it literally undoes the de-capitalization patch from Le Pug so it would work on any hack that uses it but obviously any additional text added won't be affected, also any pokemon caught before applying this patch will not have their names capitalized. Let me know if there are any problems!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u42k2hu7u9r94kr/Pokemon%20Emerald%20Recapitalization.ips?dl=0
                    Wow that was fast, thanks a lot! I'll try it out as soon as I can.
                      #185   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                    Old 1 Day Ago (12:35 PM). Edited 1 Day Ago by Stivenikos.

Hi! That's really nice well done. I just want to ask about eon ticket which is not found anywhere.
                        #186   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                      Old 1 Day Ago (2:34 PM).

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by Stivenikos View Post
                        Hi! That's really nice well done. I just want to ask about eon ticket which is not found anywhere.
                        YEP I missed that one, its item ID is not near the rest of the event items so I didn't realize that it wasn't there, will fix that in the next update. Thanks for the heads up!
                          #187   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                        Old 1 Day Ago (4:35 PM).

Another small update today, added missing Event Ticket to the Lilycove mart (thanks to Stivenikos for the heads up) and as per requested, there are now some informational signs in the EV Training Cave explaining which stat is trained where (suggestion from kalil92) and also the nurse has been given the same "turn around after healing" script (that was an oversight on my end when I implemented the script originally).
                          Also I have added the re-capitalization patch requested by Gunzzzzmaster to the "Optional Patches" folder as well as a quick readme about the optional patches.

If this post hasn't made it clear, I am always willing to entertain suggestions and requests, so please let me know if you have any ideas or feedback!
                            #188   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                          Old 20 Hours Ago (2:56 AM). Edited 20 Hours Ago by Gunzzzzmaster.

Hi, sorry for yet another comment but I just wanted to raise awareness of a bug that only happens when playing on real hardware (like Virtual Console on 3DS, which is how I play the hack) exactly as described here. It seems to be a vanilla bug (though I don't recall having this issue on my own actual cartridge) and I was wondering if maybe this could be fixed with a patch.

Note that this doesn't seem to occur when using an emulator.

Btw I really appreciate the quick patches you bring out, incredible work! Thanks for being an amazing contributor for the community!
                              #189   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                            Old 12 Hours Ago (10:57 AM).

Quote:
                              Hi, sorry for yet another comment but I just wanted to raise awareness of a bug that only happens when playing on real hardware (like Virtual Console on 3DS, which is how I play the hack) exactly as described here. It seems to be a vanilla bug (though I don't recall having this issue on my own actual cartridge) and I was wondering if maybe this could be fixed with a patch.

Note that this doesn't seem to occur when using an emulator.

Btw I really appreciate the quick patches you bring out, incredible work! Thanks for being an amazing contributor for the community!
                              I'm not sure if I can do anything about that, frankly this is the first I'm hearing that ROMs can be played on a 3DS so it's a little outside my wheel house.
                                #190   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                              Old 11 Hours Ago (11:33 AM). Edited 11 Hours Ago by Gunzzzzmaster.

Quote:
                                I'm not sure if I can do anything about that, frankly this is the first I'm hearing that ROMs can be played on a 3DS so it's a little outside my wheel house.
                                Heh no problem at all. I thought I'd just mention it since there's very little to be found about this issue in the first place. I wasn't expecting you to be able to fix it so no worries.

ROMs can be played on a 3DS with custom firmware in 2 ways: through emulation (using something like mGBA, same as on pc) or by injecting it in the Virtual Console. The latter uses the actual hardware as if a GBA would run it. I think you'd get the same result with a flashcart in a real GBA, maybe that method is more familiar to you.

On a completely different note, you mentioned thinking about having items like Metal Coat be usable items, like the Stones, as a way of evolving certain Pokémon (like Scyther). I came across a Platinum hack that has implemented it exactly like that, so maybe that could be of some use to you. I'm a complete ROM hacking noob so I have no idea if it could help you at all, being an NDS ROM hack.

An other implementation I saw was using Bill's Teleporter in Fire Red as a way to trade with yourself. So you'd put in a Pokémon like Haunter or a Scyther holding Metal Coat and they'd come out evolved. Just to give you some ideas if you ever decide to look into changing the way you handle these evolutions. (Not saying you should.)

Quick Reply