• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"What is this? Is it fake? How much is it worth?" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Wondering what a card you have is, but can't find any information online? Wondering if it's a fake or counterfeit? Wondering what it's worth? This is the thread where you find this out!

Rules:

1. Please keep the number of cards asked about per post reasonable! Asking about 25 or more cards is not reasonable for identification, which can take time!
  2. There is to be no selling on PokéCommunity. This thread is only to ask for information about a card. If you want to sell, you'll have to find another community online for it.
  3. When requesting information a card, please provide as much information as possible. The ideal information consists of the following:

A. Card name.
    B. Set the card is from. You can tell this by the set symbol located either in the bottom right corner of the card or to the bottom right of the picture.
    C. The collector's number (the number in the bottom right corner of the card that goes something like 1/102 or 1/64 or 1/99) of the card.
    D. Whether it is first edition or not:
    a. English first edition cards have a "1" inside a solid black circle to the bottom right of the picture. This only applies to cards from sets released before the Legendary Collection. Sets released after this point outside Japan do not have first edition stamps.
    b. Japanese first edition cards have a black "1" sitting above a black "Edition" in the bottom left corner of the card, in an upside down "T" shape. This only applies to cards from sets released since the start of the Japanese equivalent of Expedition
    E. Whether it is shadowless or not (as in, having no shadow behind the picture and not having bolded HP text). This only applies to cards from the Base Set (the only set that has no set symbol).
    F. What language the card is in.
  4. Please do not ask for prices of commons and uncommons, as they are generally worth less than $0.50 apiece. If you did not know, these are the cards that have a little black circle (black circles indicating a rarity of common) or a little black diamond (black diamonds indicating a rarity of uncommon) on the bottom right corner of the card. The reason this rule has been added is because too many people are asking about prices for commons, and pricing is too time consuming to price out cards of these rarities when the vast majority of these are worth less than fifty cents. Some notable exceptions to this include very useful Trainer cards that are legal in the current standard and expanded formats as well as error cards.
  5. This thread is exempt from the rule that states there is to be no double posting. Spamming, however, is still not permitted.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Apr 25, 2017
Help needed!!

I recently uncovered my old collection from when I was a kid. Part of the collection included are several cards that was given to me by an Asian American friend. These are not cards that was printed in the US, but rather imported. I can tell from the makeup of the writing they are NOT japenese. The makeup of letting is much more extensive. They are noticeably smaller in size than the American counterparts. All of the ones I have are some sort of what seems to be holographic but it's more of a metal flake when coated to American holos. The energy cards have the flake on 90% of the cards. Any help on the origin would be helpful. I can't locate any similar to try ro assess a value. It would not let me attach a photo due to size restrictions. The back of the card is identical to those of the american Japanese prints excluding the copyright information. They are all Gen 2 Pokémon swinub, piloswine, lugia, raikou, xato, etc.

Years
I recently uncovered my old collection from when I was a kid. Part of the collection included are several cards that was given to me by an Asian American friend. These are not cards that was printed in the US, but rather imported. I can tell from the makeup of the writing they are NOT japenese. The makeup of letting is much more extensive. They are noticeably smaller in size than the American counterparts. All of the ones I have are some sort of what seems to be holographic but it's more of a metal flake when coated to American holos. The energy cards have the flake on 90% of the cards. Any help on the origin would be helpful. I can't locate any similar to try ro assess a value. It would not let me attach a photo due to size restrictions. The back of the card is identical to those of the american Japanese prints excluding the copyright information. They are all Gen 2 Pokémon swinub, piloswine, lugia, raikou, xato, etc.

I've gone ahead and moved your post to the master thread for card identification questions.

That flake holo pattern is a good indicator that they're actually a type of non-official sticker that you could get from vending machines all over the US that were probably printed in China or Vietname. Basically, they're not real cards, but they are extremely common. I used to own one, myself, but it was Gen 1.

The reason I say what I say is you mention they're noticeably smaller in size than American cards, which is a dead giveaway that they're not actually official cards, because all official Pokemon TCG cards have the same dimensions no matter the language they're printed in.

Years
1990s Japanes Holo Pocket Monster Cards Help

Hello,
I was given a binder with old Gen 1 cards and these Japanese Pocket Monster Cards where in there. They are rounded at the edges, at the bottom they don't have card numbers. I have researched them everywhere and I can't find anything about them. Does anyone have any information on them?

Attachments

• 0426171108.jpg
    0426171108.jpg
    970.8 KB · Views: 80
  • 0426171108a.jpg
    0426171108a.jpg
    1,005.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 0426171109.jpg
    0426171109.jpg
    1,006.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 0426171110.jpg
    0426171110.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 43
  • 0426171109b.jpg
    0426171109b.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 31
Years
Hello,
I was given a binder with old Gen 1 cards and these Japanese Pocket Monster Cards where in there. They are rounded at the edges, at the bottom they don't have card numbers. I have researched them everywhere and I can't find anything about them. Does anyone have any information on them?

I've gone ahead and merged your question into the appropriate thread for it.

Looking at your attachments, it looks like someone took scans of some Japanese cards and then opted to print their own counterfeit cards using those scans. Unfortunately for you, that is what they appear to be, as all of them appear to be missing most of their card borders.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen May 1, 2017
Please help! I was digging through my old collection and I found a pikachu and a mancectric both belonging to the supreme victors set, as I looked them up to find there value I realized I was looking at two vastly different cards. Both of my cards are normal holos and have triple the hp and attack of the cards I saw online along with gold lettering on the top of the card. I have been looking everywhere to see what kind of cards these are and have come up with nothing please help!!!

Last edited:
Years
Please help! I was digging through my old collection and I found a pikachu and a mancectric both belonging to the supreme victors set, as I looked them up to find there value I realized I was looking at two vastly different cards. Both of my cards are normal holos and have triple the hp and attack of the cards I saw online along with gold lettering on the top of the card. I have been looking everywhere to see what kind of cards these are and have come up with nothing please help!!!

Sorry, but the cards having triple the HP and attack damage of the cards you saw online means you've got counterfeit cards.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 3, 2017
Any idea what the value is for this Japanese Lt. Surge's Raichu card? I can't seem to find information on the Japanese version of the card and there's no rarity symbol

Attachments

• IMG_2159.jpg
    IMG_2159.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 56

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen today
Any idea what the value is for this Japanese Lt. Surge's Raichu card? I can't seem to find information on the Japanese version of the card and there's no rarity symbol

Around $2-$3 depending on condition and buyer. There's not much of a market for fairly obtainable Japanese cards in the West, especially GYM ones since inexplicably tens of thousands of packs of Japanese GYM cards found their way into UK GAME, EB and toy stores and were being sold for 99p a pack.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen May 3, 2017
Rare Raichu Card Found.

So I have found that I am in possession of one of the super rare (only 10-15 in existence) Raichu First Gen Cards. And I don't know what to do with it. I am looking to sell it but am not sure about how to get a buyer. Any advice? Or interest?

Years
So I have found that I am in possession of one of the super rare (only 10-15 in existence) Raichu First Gen Cards. And I don't know what to do with it. I am looking to sell it but am not sure about how to get a buyer. Any advice? Or interest?

So, first things first, I've moved your post to the appropriate thread.

Secondly, there is to be no buying or selling on PokeCommunity.

Thirdly, there is a 99.9999999% chance you don't have the Raichu you think you do. Upload several pictures of the card as an attachment to your next post if you still think you actually have the Raichu you think you do.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 9, 2017
I was wondering if there is a place where i can post a file with my whole collection. As a child i collected pokemon cards, but i didn't use them. Now, I have them organised, but i want to know if my collection has any worthy cards. Is this the place to share the word-file?

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen today
I was wondering if there is a place where i can post a file with my whole collection. As a child i collected pokemon cards, but i didn't use them. Now, I have them organised, but i want to know if my collection has any worthy cards. Is this the place to share the word-file?

Probably not. We'd need to see the condition of the cards, what print run they are etc. You're best to get a PSA grader or someone to appraise your collection. Though most commons and whatnot are worth pennies.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen May 13, 2017
What are these?

I don't know much about pokemon, but I was going through my old set and found 3 shiny looking ones. What are these and are they rare? One is a level 43 Lugia, the background is shiny. Second one is a Milotic, the illustrator is Kagemaru Himeno and the background is shiny. Third one is a Manectric, illustrator is Masakazu Fukuda and the background is shiny.

Years
I don't know much about pokemon, but I was going through my old set and found 3 shiny looking ones. What are these and are they rare? One is a level 43 Lugia, the background is shiny. Second one is a Milotic, the illustrator is Kagemaru Himeno and the background is shiny. Third one is a Manectric, illustrator is Masakazu Fukuda and the background is shiny.

Need more information. Specifically this stuff:

B. Set the card is from. You can tell this by the set symbol located either in the bottom right corner of the card or to the bottom right of the picture.
C. The collector's number (the number in the bottom right corner of the card that goes something like 1/102 or 1/64 or 1/99) of the card.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen May 13, 2017
The Milotic is from the EX Emerald set and it's number is 8/106. The Manectric is from the EX Emerald set and it's number is 7/106. The Lugia is from the Secret Wonders set and it's number is 14/132

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 16, 2017
Hello 😊

I bought a base set unlimited booster box on ebay here the other day. When I got it, it turned out to be a green winged Charizard box. When I opened the box the packs turned out to be unlimited. But the cuts on the top of the packs are uneven. I have not seen this on other packs beford. Is this normal?

Years
  • Age 74
  • Seen May 14, 2017
So I've had these 6 freaking cards for years, but I've never seen them online anywhere and now I'm debating if they are fake.

IMG_0702.jpg

I don't know if that attachment showed up but basically they have gold letters in their names and hp, but they also have the set name in the bottom right of the Pokémon image, similar to the old reverses. However, they have a silver star at the bottom

Years
The Milotic is from the EX Emerald set and it's number is 8/106. The Manectric is from the EX Emerald set and it's number is 7/106. The Lugia is from the Secret Wonders set and it's number is 14/132

Milotic 8/106 $1 to $2.
Manectric 7/106 $1 to $2.
Lugia Secret Wonders $2 to $4.

Hello 😊

I bought a base set unlimited booster box on ebay here the other day. When I got it, it turned out to be a green winged Charizard box. When I opened the box the packs turned out to be unlimited. But the cuts on the top of the packs are uneven. I have not seen this on other packs beford. Is this normal?

Cuts on the top of the packs being uneven does not sound normal. Got pics of it?

So I've had these 6 freaking cards for years, but I've never seen them online anywhere and now I'm debating if they are fake.

View attachment 81859

I don't know if that attachment showed up but basically they have gold letters in their names and hp, but they also have the set name in the bottom right of the Pokémon image, similar to the old reverses. However, they have a silver star at the bottom

You can't find anything because they're all "reverse holo" versions of the cards from those particular sets. Several sets from that era had that as the reverse holo style, which technically makes them "alternate holos", which in these sets is the same as reverse holo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back