The PokéCommunity Forums Fan Games ROM Hacking Launchpad
Idea Pokemon Sogen [GOLD HACK]

Launchpad Where all good (and bad) ideas start. This is the Launchpad, where you can develop your small ideas, recruit help and form teams.

View Poll Results: What should this hack be renamed to?
Pokemon: Faded Memories 10 52.63%
Pokemon: Eternal Soul 3 15.79%
Pokemon: Regeneration 4 21.05%
Pokemon: Second Birth 0 0%
Pokemon: Perpetuum 2 10.53%
Pokemon: Aerturnum 3 15.79%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 13th, 2016 (9:50 PM). Edited August 16th, 2017 by SubstituteCreature.
Fakemon Novice

Nature: Naive
    Pokemon Faded Memory (Working Title Pokemon Sogen. Suggestions Welcome!)

[Background]
    Faded Memory is an extensive pokeCrystal Hack I'm working on at the moment. It incorporates a brand new story, region, characters, and Fakemon into the game, adding complex themes of loss, consequence, and the confrontation of the past. This hack will be an amalgamation of my entire history as a Pokefanatic, essentially 20 years worth of inspiration coming together into one project.

In this thread, I will elaborate on the details I've planned out for the game, making it hub for any relevant progress and ideas. I will post new threads on some of the larger subcategories and link to them from here if necessary.

[Features]
    - Original, complex story
    - Character driven
    - 176+ original Fakemon inspired by Generations 1 and 2
    - New moves
    - New evolution methods
    - New region
    - New Gym Leaders and Elite 4
    - Secret Pokemon (much like the rumored PokeGods from Gen 1)

[Progress]
    - Main story draft and NPC dialogue in progress
    - 176+ Pokemon sprited with completed Dex Entries, Learnsets, Base Stats
    - 100% Front sprites complete
    - Gym and Elite 4 dialogue drafted
    - Town overworld maps drafted

[Need Help With]
    - Map Connection
    - Level Design
    - Dialogue writing
    - Custom Tilesets
    - General pokeCrystal disassembly scripting (for narrative, new evolutions, and new moves)
    - New evolution methods such as low Happiness, using max revive, and defeating a certain Pokemon.
    - Base stat balancing
    - Another spriter for backsprites
    - Old Sugimori style official art

[Characters]

Spoiler:

Tristan
    The player character, either male or female (as default, I've chosen male).
    For reasons unknown, our hero has put off their Pokemon journey indefinitely, forfeiting all badges and Pokemon earned and instead choosing to live a quiet life at their parent's shop. The player's past experiences remain a mystery, and in present day they show no interest in venturing out into the world. What will it take to change the player's mind?

Memo/Mori
    Never one to shy away from speaking their mind, Mori (or Memo) is Tristan's best friend, part-time babysitter, and gender-swap rival. She takes it upon herself to motivate him and get him to strive for better, though this often comes in the form of nagging. Her personal goal is to join the Task Force, and to achieve this she is seen putting her Pokemon through daily drills. Expect great things from her.

Caspian
    A premier trainer from Periwinkle City, Caspian is perhaps the youngest ever to make it onto the Police Task Force, which pursues the mysterious Team Scion. With him at all times is his trusty dragon Pokemon, Sheergon. Hoping to make a name for himself on the Force, Caspian puts himself in situations no other trainers should. Will he find what he's looking for, or will Team Scion prove too much for Caspian?

Prof. Douglas
    As Bloomburg Town's new Professor, he is introduced as an expert in Pokemon technology. He is shy and recluse compared to his predecessor Prof. Banyan. Douglas acts as a mentor to the player and provides encouragement in moments of doubt. He is one of the few people that supports the idea of Tristan becoming a trainer again, somehow understanding what our hero's going through. Beneath his cordial demeanor, there just may be more to this fellow than meets the eye.

Chief of Police
    Confident, authoritative, and willful, the Chief of Police has made it her life's dedication to keep Sogen safe from all threats. She has earned the respect of most influential figures, including the Elite 4 which helped her form the Task Force. Under her guidance, the Police force has weeded out corruption within their ranks and become a force for justice.

Apex Co. President, Mr. Apex
    Apex Co. is for the most part responsible for Sogen's popular technology: Pokeballs, PokeGears, Pokedexes. Above all else however, Apex's president is concerned with his company's interests, using all of his connections to keep Apex Co. on top. This success comes at a great cost, however. A shameful secret hides in Apex Co's past.

Team Scion

Scientists go missing across the region. Entire warehouses' worth of technology vanish. Never before seen Pokemon are spotted. The Task Force believes all of this to be the work of Team Scion.

They are everywhere. They are nowhere. Just as quietly as they appear, Team Scion's members leave without a trace.

Other NPCs
    Mom, Dad, Prof. Banyan, Daycare couple, Gym Guide, Lennox (PC guy), Hattori (Apricot Guy),
    Imakuni, Ghost Pirate, EV snob, rumor guy, genwunner, newgenner

[Region]

Sogen is a lush region teeming with life. From blooming fields to sprawling forests, from frigid mountains to a sun-kissed coast - with so much vitality, it's no wonder that the people name their settlements after something like flowers. Aside from its geography, Sogen is also filled with history. In contrast to the towering skyscrapers of the metropolis, Sogen's pagodas, temples, and ancient Pokemon burial sites are a testament to days long gone. Sogen, in all of its mystery and splendor, in all of its beauty (and perhaps even danger)
    awaits you.

Major Towns and Cities
    Spoiler:

1. Bloomburg Town
    A humble peninsula town on the precipice of change

Track: Pokemon Lullaby
    Locations: Mart aka Player's House, Morta's House, Pokemon Lab, NPC house, Bloomburg Cove
    NPCs: Old Man, woman that stops you from leaving town, Mom, Morta, Morta's Family, Prof. Douglas, Prof. Willow

2. Petunia Town
    The harvest town.

Track: Azalea Town
    Locations: PokeCenter, Mart, Berry Orchard, Farmhouse, Daycare
    NPCs: Shady Guy, Farmer, Daycare Couple

3. Dahlia City
    A prestigious city deep-rooted in Sogen's history
    Track: Violet City
    Locations: Gym, PokeCenter, Mart, Fountain, Northern Manor, Eastern Waterfall, Train station
    NPCs: Long line, Lord Scion and Team Scion grunts, Curator, Rivals

4. Oleander Town
    A quarry town of quaint antiquity.
    Track: Ecruteak City
    Locations: Gym, PokeCenter, Mart, School, Stone Carver's, Hattori's House, Lake, Mine Entrance
    NPCs: Hattori, Fishing Guru, School full of trainers, fishing contest

5. Periwinkle City
    The model city in the heart of Sogen.
    Track: Goldenrod City
    Locations: Gym, PokeCenter, Mart, Police HQ, Apex Co.,
    NPCs: Chief, Apex President, PokeThief, Prof. Douglas, Rivals, Name Rater.

6. Daffodil City
    A glamorous city with no shortage of things to see or do.
    Track: Celadon City
    Locations: Gym, PokeCenter, Mart, Radio Station, Burial grounds, Game Corner, Fossil excavation, Daffodil Studios.
    NPCs: Team Scion, Mason, Celise, Lottery.

7. Ambrosia Town
    A gloomy town of industrious smog.
    Track: Viridian/Saffron City
    Locations: Gym, PokeCenter, Mart, Apex Warehouse, Sewers, Ambrosia City Dam
    NPCs: Team Scion, Rebel Riders, Warehouse guard, Mason

8. Rhododendron City
    A popular tourist site bathed in sun, surf, and oceanic beauty.
    Track: Vermilion City
    Locations: Gym, PokeCenter, Mega Mart, Salon, Surf Shack, Prof. Willow's House, SS Meridian Dock, Trade Expo.
    NPCs: Rivals, Prof. Willow, Sheldon, Hair Cut bros, Happiness Checker,

9. Sunflower Village
    A solitary village tucked away in the mountains.
    Track: Mahogany Town
    Locations: Gym, PokeCenter, Mart, Mt. Avalanche entrance, Gondola.
    NPCs: Fishing Guru, Medicine Man, Herb Shop.

10. Magnolia Island
    A wildlife preservation under the looming shadow of Mt. Crater.
    Track: Cerulean City
    Locations: Gym, PokeCenter, Mart, Safari Zone, Prison, Whirlpools, Battle Tower
    NPCs: Fishing Guru, Violet, Elite 4.

11. Laurel Base Camp
    Under the gaze of the Elite 4, this is a place to relax and recuperate strength for the upcoming trials.
    Track: Route 27
    Locations: PokeCenter, specialty shops, Saloon, minigame stuff.

12. Laurel Summit
    Amidst mountain snow and rugged terrain, this hard to reach place is domain to Sogen’s strongest trainers- The Elite 4!

Post Game Archipelago
    Lily Island, Orchid Island, Baby's Breath Island, Honeysuckle Island

Routes
    Spoiler:

Route 1: Bloomburg west -> Petunia = Park
    Route 2: Bloomburg north -> Periwinkle = Bike Pass over water
    Route 3: Bloomburg south -> Bloomburg Cove = River out to the sea
    Route 4: Petunia west -> Route 5 =???
    Route 5: Route 4 north -> Dahlia = ???
    Route 6: Dahlia west -> Laurel Base Camp = Waterfall cave
    Victory Road: Laurel Base Camp north -> Laurel Summit
    Northern Manor Grounds: Dahlia north -> Northern Manor
    Route 7: Dahlia east -> Evergreen Forest = Rocky Ledges
    Evergreen Forest: Route 7 northeast -> Route 8 = Dark forest with Pagoda Tower.
    Route 8: Evergreen Forest north -> Oleander Town = ???
    Mineshaft: Oleander Town southeast -> Route 9
    Route 9: Mineshaft east -> Periwinkle City = Divided by river, has northern waterfall near Team Scion base.
    Route 10: Periwinkle east -> Rhododendron Island = ???
    ???Tumbleweed Desert: Periwinkle north -> Route 12 = ???
    Route 12: Tumbleweed Desert north -> Daffodil = Gloomy road
    Route 13: Daffodil east -> Ambrosia = ???
    Route 14: Daffodil north -> Ambrosia = Mt. Avalanche Valley
    Mt. Avalanche: Route 14 north -> Route 15
    Route 15: Mt. Avalanche north -> Sunflower = Icy Forest
    Route 16: Ambrosia -> Rhododendron = Oceanic cliffs
    Route 17: Rhododendron -> Magnolia = Water
    Routes 18 & 19: Magnolia -> Safari Zone

[Gyms]

Spoiler:

Eleanor (Normal)
    DAHLIA CITY GYM. Leader: Eleanor, Dahlia's Sweetheart
    Badge: Simple
    Gym Theme: Daycare / Playpen

Ty (Fighting)
    OLEANDER TOWN GYM. Leader: Ty, The Mighty Fist of the West
    Badge: Flex
    Gym Theme: Dojo

Avery (Flying)
    PERIWINKLE CITY GYM. Leader: Avery, the All-Star Pitcher
    Badge: Cyclone
    Gym Theme: Baseball Field

Celise (Ghost)
    DAFFODIL CITY GYM. Leader: Celise, the Young Mystic
    Badge: Sooth
    Gym Theme: Haunted Temple

Darren (Dark)
    AMBROSIA TOWN GYM. Leader: Darren, the Rebel Without a Cause
    Badge: Dim
    Gym Theme: Pitch-Black Warehouse

Irene (Steel)
    SUNFLOWER VILLAGE GYM. Leader: Irene, the Iron Maiden
    Badge: Assembly
    Gym Theme: Factory

Sheldon (Water)
    RHODODENDRON CITY GYM. Leader: Sheldon, the Surfing Guru
    Badge: Reef
    Gym Theme: Beach

Violet (Grass)
    MAGNOLIA ISLAND GYM. Leader: Violet, the Safari Wardeness
    Badge: Safari
    Gym Theme: Jungle Swamp

[Pokedex]

(100/163)

[Contributors]

Scripting Advice: _Crystal, Coolboyman
    Sprite Cleanup: Solo993
    Fakemon redesigns: IceyPinkLemons,
    Route Design (NEW!): jummbl (Payton) from DeviantArt

POKEMON SOGEN (IN PROGRESS)

My Deviant Art
    Progress Thread

Relevant Advertising!

Old January 15th, 2016 (7:10 PM). Edited January 16th, 2016 by SubstituteCreature.
    Fakemon Novice

Pokemon Sogen
      While I'm focusing on the map editing aspect of my ROM Hack at the moment, I'd like to first of all come up with a better name for it, one that captures the themes of loss, facing the past, life, death, and resurrection.

Secondly, I'd also like feedback on the early NPC dialogue. At the moment it seems pretty lengthy, and I don't want to lose the player's interest this early on.

TITLES
      Please leave some more suggestions down below!
      Pokemon: Eternia
      Pokemon: Memoria
      Pokemon: Fade Version
      Pokemon: Wake Version
      Pokemon: Second Birth
      Pokemon: Forgotten Past
      Pokemon: Remembrance
      Pokemon: Faded Memories

SCRIPT
      [00 - Title Screen]
      Spoiler:
      Standard intro music from GS versions starts to play. Gym badges descend into the water, bubbling as they sink towards the river bed. Light rays shimmer from the surface above.

Cut to a shadowy figure standing atop a cliff overlooking the same water. The music changes tone.

Show starters (traditionally where Jigglypuff is?)

As music turns serious, show flashes of different characters, including Prof. Douglas, Chief of Police, and Team Scion silhouettes.

Ends on title screen, where we see the shadowy figure (revealed to be the player character) from the back overlooking the same cliff, facing a sunset. The hair moves slightly, as does the waves below.

[01 - Introduction]
      Spoiler:
      This sequence begins with sad music playing. Bivalry, a water Fakemon, pops open from its Pokeball.

Music will be a looped GSC version of this.

Player: Pokemon. We live in a world inhabited by these creatures, sharing a complicated relationship with them. Some people play with Pokemon, some people study Pokemon, some train them for battle.

Not long ago, I too had dreams of training Pokemon of my own. I would have been a good trainer at that, a master even, one whose name is cheered by everyone. Do you know what name they’d have cheered?

Menu for choosing player's name.

Player: Yes… <player>…the greatest trainer of all.

Fade to black.

So much has changed since then though. So much has happened.
      That dream - and everything with it - is best left forgotten…I have a promise to keep.

[02 - A Vision of the Past pt. 1]
      Spoiler:
      ???:. . . N e v e r a g a i n . . .

Appear in the middle of a grassy field at night with your only conscious Pokemon poisoned.

Brick: I can see the next town right ahead. We can still make it!
      Hang in there!
      Not much further buddy…not much further…
      Fade to black.

[03 - Our Hero Awakens]
      Spoiler:
      Screen is still black.

Mom: Brick? Brick, sweetie, are you upstairs?

Brick: Oh man, what time is it?

Prompt to set date, time.

Yikes! Mom’s gonna freak if she catches me snoozing again. Better get going!

Go downstairs. Your home is the town's local mart, selling goods like TVs, books, etc. Mom is waiting in the lobby while dad in front by the register. Mom rushes towards you.

Mom: There you are - and half asleep, no less! Honestly, Brick, I don’t know what to do with you. Ever since you’ve come home you haven’t lifted a finger to help your poor old mom out. To nap at this hour, especially when you’re needed here at the register….

Dad: Give the kid a break, honey. Business is slow this time of year! Besides, I like to chat with our customers.

Mom: Well now that you’re up, you might as well make yourself useful. Professor Willow is helping her replacement set up so lend her a hand, why don’t you? Quickly now!

She walks off towards the kitchen. No stereotype intended lol.

[04 - Meet Morta]
      Spoiler:
      Lab is towards the east. As the player approaches it, an event triggers and he turns around. Whimsical music plays.

Morta: Well well well, if it isn’t the elusive Brick. It must’ve taken a lot to get you out of that shop of yours (teehee). Where you off to anyhow?

She is surprised.

<!> Hm…Well hate to break it to you pal, but you’re too late to do any good. They guy’s practically moved in already! Strangest name for a professor too…” Douglas”. …And here I thought all Professors were named after trees! C’mon, I’ll show you to him.

Player follows her until they reach the entrance, after which she enters the building.

[05 - Introductions All Around]
      Spoiler:
      And eldery woman and middle aged man in lab coats are conversing in the main room of the Pokemon Lab. Towards the back is a healing machine and bookshelves. Towards the middle there is a desk with Pokeballs on it.

Willow: There. All done. I have to say, Douglas, you’ve settled in quite nicely! You’ll do well as this town’s Professor.

She turns to face the children.

Eh? Nice of you young whippersnappers to drop in heheh. In trouble again, Brick? Well, this tall fella here is my replacement. Say hello! He’s in charge of this lab now that I’m retiring. What was it you studied again, handsome?

The two professors turn towards one another again.

Douglas: Pokemon genetics, Prof. Willow.

Willow: Ah yes, of course! How could I forget? This brain ain’t what it used to be, ya know.

Faces everyone.

As fond as I am of Bloomburg Town, it’s high time I ship off to my new home in Rhododendron City. Some sun and surf will do these old bones good! Heheh Guess this is goodbye for the time being. Take care of yourselves now. Goodbye!

Everyone:
      Farewell!

Willow exits.

Douglas: Good to see you again Morta. I assume this is Brick?

Morta: Yup. Brick runs the local Mart with his parents, but today he has to help you at the lab 'cause he's in big trouble. tsk tsk tsk!

Douglas: Hmmmm....it appears I’m stuck with you for a while then. Very well. Since I don’t need any help around the lab, could you deliver something for me instead? I have a Parcel I need to get to my contact in the next town. The way there should be safe as long as you have your Pokemon with you.

He is surprised. The music dies out.

Oh, it appears you don’t have any. That won’t do. Here, you can have one of mine. You too, Morta. Consider it a getting to know you present.

Morta: Go ahead Brick-y. I already have a few of my own.

A black screen appears

???: … N e v e r a g a i n …

Back to the lab, Brick turns away from the rest of the crowd.

Douglas: What? You don’t want a Pokemon? But you must have one if you are to venture outside of town! If you still feel that way once the task is complete I’d gladly take the Pokemon off your hands. In the meantime...

Morta (loops if player tries to escape): Well, it’s only temporary, right? Don’t over think it buddy. Just pick one.

Pick a starter.

Douglas: That Pokemon suits you perfectly. Stay safe out there, and be sure to get that Parcel to my contact! Call me if anything comes up

Register phone.

If you need to heal up, the terminal in the corner will fully restore your Pokemon.

Morta: Will do, professor! Thanks again! See you outside, Brick.

She exits.

[06 - Rival Battle]
      Spoiler:

Morta: Hey, is everything alright Brick? It’s not like you to turn down a freebie, but then again you’ve been acting really odd since you came back to Bloomburg Town. You never did tell me why you gave up training in the first place... I suppose that’s got something to do with it, right?

Exclamation.

Brick…. I know! Up for a friendly battle? It’ll help you get back in the swing of things now that you have a Pokemon again. Don’t worry, there’s no shame in losing- even if it’s to a girl!
      Battle.

See, that wasn’t so bad was it? I can tell you have some fight left in ya. Don’t get too cocky now - I only used one of my Pokemon this time around.
      I’ll meet you in Petunia Town west of here okay? That letter needs delivering.

[07 - Stranger Danger]
      Spoiler:
      Enter Petunia Town, a harvest town with a Berry Grove, Daycare Center, and Moo Moo Farm. Morta is waiting in the middle of town.

Morta: Hey you made it! It seems your Pokemon's gotten a bit stronger too. Not too shabby! It seems eager to earn your approval, so be kind to it! Anyways, this letter is addressed to someone at the local Poke Mart. Now where could that be?

Enter PokeMart. Morta follows soon after. There is a guy in shades blocking the counter.

Shady dude: Hey, you're the kid from that other Mart. You have a Parcel for me? From..um...Professor Douglas was it? Yes of course, give my regards to the good Professor. Take this response to him. I hope he finds my work... more than satisfactory. Oh, and if anyone asks, I was never here okay? Not a word of this to anyone.

Attempt to talk to him again.

Did you get my response to the Professor yet?

Exit Mart. Morta follows suit.

Morta: What a strange man. I wonder why he was acting so weird? At least we got what we came for. To the professor’s lab!

She rushes off back home, leaving you staring in that direction.

[08 - Professor’s Proposition]
      Spoiler:

Return to the lab with Morta present. You automatically walk up to the two.

Prof Douglas: Marvelous! Thank you children, this will prove most valuable to my research. Do you still want to return your Pokemon, Brick? Well, alright then.

Pokemon cries out. Professor is surprised.

It appears to have bit me...how unexpected! You and your Pokemon have formed such a strong bond in the brief time you’ve been together. Look at how it gazes at you for guidance, how much passion is in its heart. I’m afraid there's little use in convincing it otherwise.

Morta: Welp, that settles it. Like it or not, you’re stuck with a Pokemon!

Prof Douglas: Since you’ve taken such good care of your little friends, I have a serious proposition to make to you. The Sogen region is teeming with wild Pokemon, and with your help I can update the data we have on each species. There may even be some we haven’t seen before! As a Professor, I cannot allow myself to leave the lab unattended, but for trainers such as yourselves it shouldn’t be much of a problem. Just think: You’d be able to explore the region, encounter new creatures, and meet other trainers. With Pokemon by your side, there’s no telling what you can accomplish! How does my offer sound to you?

Morta: C’mon. The world is bigger than Bloomburg, believe it or not. Do you want to see what’s out there, or do you want to sulk about….whatever it is you’re sulking about?
      Y That’s the ticket! We’ll do it, Professor. This is so exciting!

N I can tell when you’re not being honest with yourself, Brick. You’re always complaining about how you are stuck at the shop.

Douglas: Excellent! You’ll both be needing these.

Receive Pokedex.

It’s a Pokedex, capable of cataloging any new Pokemon you encounter or capture. The more you find, the more data it collects! Now that you’re a trainer, you might as well challenge the regional gyms. There are eight gyms in Sogen, each headed by trainers of exceptional talent. The closest one on foot is probably Dahlia City.

Exclamation!

Oh! Before I forget, be sure to check in with your parents prior to leaving. I wouldn’t want them thinking you’ve run away!

Morta: teehee Brick, I'm already a trainer so I'm good to go. Meet me by the Route 2 entrance once you have permission from your folks.

She leaves first. As you try to exit, stopped by Professor.

Douglas: Oh, and Brick. A word, if you please. It seems everyone is under the impression that you are less than competent. Do not let that dishearten you from taking the next step, my friend. Power can come from the most unsuspecting people. Remember that, and let go of your previous doubts.

Attempt to speak with him again.

Have you spoken with your parents yet?

As you exit, fades to black
      … S T A Y W I T H M E …

[09 - Parting, Such Sweet Sorrow]
      Spoiler:

Back at home. Parents are waiting. When you talk to any one of them, they both come to you. Music fades, transitions into sad song in the intro.

Mom: Back so soon? I thought they’d keep you busy for few more hours. Oh...That device.... it’s a Pokedex, isn’t it? I’ve been dreading this day.

Dad: Ever since you postponed your journey, your mother and I thought you’d never train Pokemon again. We thought you’d be happier away from all of that, but now I see we were wrong.

Mom: It seems like only yesterday you came back to stay. Are you absolutely sure? It’s still as dangerous out there as ever.

Dad: Well, it’d be nice for our boy seeing the world. No kid his age should be stuck at home with only his parents for company.

Mom: And why not? I’m good company.

She faces away. Faces back after thoughtful silence.

Alright then... Whatever you decide, sweetie, you’ll have my support.

Dad: And mine. Just be sure to drop by every now and then, son. Don’t forget about ol’ mom and pop while you’re out there pursuing your dreams. Anything you need, you come to us.

Mom: Your father and I can handle the shop while you’re away. Here, we set a few items from our stock aside just in case you ever needed them.

Receive 5 Pokeballs, 2 Potions, 1 Antidote

Try not to get into trouble Brick. Don't push yourself too hard.

[10 - And They're Off!]
      Spoiler:

Morta waits for you beyond Petunia Town on a route with other trainers. The next City beyond this route is one with a Gym. The final track from the credits sequence plays.

Morta: So this is it, huh? Brick and Morta, two hotshot trainers off on a big adventure. My dream is to become a world renowned gym leader one day. I might even set up a gym back home if I’m any good. What about you Brick? Will you be a breeder this time around? A collector? A battler? Only you can know for sure. All I know is the world better watch out for us Brick. From now on, we’ll be known as the greatest trainers to ever come out of Bloomburg!

A mischievous grin is on her face.

hmmm...It’s too bad we both can’t be the greatest though. One of us has to be the better trainer right?! Let’s go. You. Me. A race to see who can beat all the Sogen gyms first. Sound good? Okay!

Once again, she races off, leaving you behind in the dust. Your starter lets out a cry of approval.

My Deviant Art
      Progress Thread
      Old January 15th, 2016 (11:36 PM).
      Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid

Nature: Bold
      My question is ... why hack GS when you could work on FR or EM, which are more popular, easier to work with, have more features, and look and sound better?

/// Pokémon: Discovery
      /// Pokémon: Fat Kid
      /// Tile Insertion Tutorial For AdvanceMap
      /// Pokémon Emerald Specials Resource Thread
      /// Pokémon Emerald Decapitalization Patch
      /// Emerald Titlescreen Cloud Removal Tutorial
      /// Tutorial For Fixing Any ROM-related Bug
      Old January 16th, 2016 (12:46 AM).
      Fakemon Novice

Quote:
        Originally Posted by Le pug View Post
        My question is ... why hack GS when you could work on FR or EM, which are more popular, easier to work with, have more features, and look and sound better?
        Those reasons aren't why I'm making this hack, unfortunately. Aside from the field being very oversaturated with these titles, I'm simply making this a Gen 2 hack because those are the games that had the most impact on me as a fan. I've also invested a lot of time under the assumption that this will be based on Gold version already, so that's one thing that I'm for sure sticking with. Did you have any suggestions regarding my original post?

My Deviant Art
        Progress Thread
        Old January 16th, 2016 (9:37 AM).
        Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid

Nature: Bold
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by SubstituteCreature View Post
        Those reasons aren't why I'm making this hack, unfortunately. Aside from the field being very oversaturated with these titles, I'm simply making this a Gen 2 hack because those are the games that had the most impact on me as a fan. I've also invested a lot of time under the assumption that this will be based on Gold version already, so that's one thing that I'm for sure sticking with. Did you have any suggestions regarding my original post?
        The story seems great so far, I have no complaints about the text. Doesn't seem too long to me. You said you're going to have it more mature ... so would you implement things like later in the story, Brick finds out that his parents were robbed and you go home and maybe they aren't there and everything is messy and items stolen? Idk lol just an example. I'm trying to figure out what your story is about ... I get it's about the guy going on an adventure to see all the fakemon after having his vietnam flashbacks but like ... what's the story about? It'll help me understand what you're trying to get at and if you want a title for your hack, you should wait until you've got the major story milestones mapped out, which I imagine you do. I can't personally help you with the title until then so I'd say you should choose your own title. For my hacks, one of them you get shipwrecked on an island and before that, pokemon didn't exist ... so I named it Pokemon: Discovery. For the other, it's a comedic hack about you playing the fat kid that loves technology from every starter region in the pokemon games ... so I named it Pokemon: Fat Kid. You just need to take a big plot point and name it after that, I'd recommend. Good job so far

/// Pokémon: Discovery
        /// Pokémon: Fat Kid
        /// Tile Insertion Tutorial For AdvanceMap
        /// Pokémon Emerald Specials Resource Thread
        /// Pokémon Emerald Decapitalization Patch
        /// Emerald Titlescreen Cloud Removal Tutorial
        /// Tutorial For Fixing Any ROM-related Bug
        Old January 16th, 2016 (10:55 AM).
        Fakemon Novice

Quote:
          Originally Posted by Le pug View Post
          The story seems great so far, I have no complaints about the text. Doesn't seem too long to me. You said you're going to have it more mature ... so would you implement things like later in the story, Brick finds out that his parents were robbed and you go home and maybe they aren't there and everything is messy and items stolen? Idk lol just an example. I'm trying to figure out what your story is about ... I get it's about the guy going on an adventure to see all the fakemon after having his vietnam flashbacks but like ... what's the story about? It'll help me understand what you're trying to get at and if you want a title for your hack, you should wait until you've got the major story milestones mapped out, which I imagine you do. I can't personally help you with the title until then so I'd say you should choose your own title. For my hacks, one of them you get shipwrecked on an island and before that, pokemon didn't exist ... so I named it Pokemon: Discovery. For the other, it's a comedic hack about you playing the fat kid that loves technology from every starter region in the pokemon games ... so I named it Pokemon: Fat Kid. You just need to take a big plot point and name it after that, I'd recommend. Good job so far
          Noted, and thanks! The later stuff is indeed outlined, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to spoil too much up front. (the spoiler tags I put don't actually contain spoilers....yet). Hopefully this is enough to go on.
          Spoiler:

Essentially the hero will experience more flashbacks of his past as he retraces his footsteps through the region. The badges floating in the water from the intro are in fact his from his prior stint as a trainer. It is revealed how his first Pokemon died after a harsh battle and was not properly healed, after which he makes a promise to never again let a Pokemon be harmed under his care and to cease training altogether. His bond with his current starter is a factor in changing his mind, and the support of his friends and family get him back on the saddle.

Eventually he manages to land a position on the Police Task Force and is sent after Team Scion alongside his rivals. The Team and their masked leader are targeting Apex Co.'s technology and affiliates which, as you guessed, brings the player's parents onto their radar.

Their vendetta against Apex seems a personal one that also has to do with the theme of life and death. Team Scion attempts to extract information and parts to reconstruct the common fossil resurrection process we've come to know in the main games, though the technology is meant for... let's just say more than Pokemon. Given that that technology doesn't exist yet in this storyline and that Apex has halted its development, the implications of reviving a lost companion will provide the player with a moral dilemma: does he stop this disruptive Team Scion, or does he hold out for a chance to see his former Pokemon once more? The player encounters others on his journey that have also lost loved ones, so their feelings towards Team Scion's cause are mixed as well.

My Deviant Art
          Progress Thread
          Old February 1st, 2016 (12:36 PM).
          Fakemon Novice

Since my last update I've added about 30 more Pokemon to my Fakedex. I've also reformatted and reorded it to include names and types. Individual dex entries can be found in the link included in the original post.

Spoiler:

If there are any improvements you think can be made (type changes, sprite cleanup, color changes, etc.), please leave a suggestion!

My Deviant Art
            Progress Thread
            Old March 13th, 2016 (5:15 AM).

This looks pretty good so far, im loving the designs of the starter fakemon :)
              How did you go about getting the fakemon into the games? I'm trying to do a similar thing where all i want to be able to do is replace the starters with different sprites and change their names
              Old March 14th, 2016 (10:21 AM).
              Fakemon Novice

Quote:
                Originally Posted by eternaforest View Post
                This looks pretty good so far, im loving the designs of the starter fakemon :)
                How did you go about getting the fakemon into the games? I'm trying to do a similar thing where all i want to be able to do is replace the starters with different sprites and change their names
                Thanks! I'm a little over 50% of front sprites right now so I should really do an update.

For inserting sprites, the tool I use is called AGIXP (it's free!). Here is a tutorial I used as reference here. Constraints:
                - There may be some compatibility issues with your machine, in which case you'd look at this fix.
                - You have to make sure that your sprite is the same size as the one you're replacing (assuming you don't touch the code).
                - Standard sprite sizes are 40x40, 48x48, and 56x56 pixels.
                - There are only 4 allowed colors per sprite: Black, GB/GBC's default "White" background, and two other colors of your choosing. The colors may not always be compatible with the game so I'd suggest sampling colors from existing sprites for the time being, otherwise AGIXP will try to do an approximation.

To change Pokemon data associated with the starters, you'll need to do some Hex Editing (which there are in-depth tutorials elsewhere). Here are some useful offsets once you got the basics down:
                -Description of starter when you look at their Pokeballs: 1803f8-181556
                -Starter Choices:
                Starter 1 Choice 1800F6
                Starter 2 Choice 180138
                Starter 3 Choice 180174
                -All Pokemon Names: 1b0b73
                -All Pokedex Entries: 1A0006
                -Basic Info (type, stats, default sprite size, etc.): 051B0C

I hope this is enough to start off on. Good luck on your hack!

My Deviant Art
                Progress Thread
                Old March 23rd, 2016 (12:51 PM).
                Fakemon Novice

Update: I've recently passed the 100 mark for my Fakedex, which has been readded to the original post. Yay! As for the HACK name, I really haven't gotten many suggestions, so be sure to leave some replies. This page has a poll too on some names.

As far as design goes, I've also brought on a new collaborator, jummbl, from DeviantArt who will be helping me out with Route Design.

My Deviant Art
                  Progress Thread
                  Old June 4th, 2016 (8:39 AM).

It looks good I want to play!

When will be available for download?
                    Old September 18th, 2016 (3:49 AM).
                    The world ends with you.

Nature: Modest
                      I love the idea for this! It's cool to have a fakemon hack that isn't gen 3, like most are.
                      Old September 22nd, 2016 (8:29 PM). Edited September 23rd, 2016 by SubstituteCreature.
                      Fakemon Novice

UPDATE:
                        Fakedex
                        After a few months hiatus from any kind of development, I think its long overdue that I give you guys some form of update! The majority of the time has been spent completing the Fakedex by churning out more sprites, tinkering with stats, and rewriting dialogue/story. For now, all non-legendary Fakemon have been sprited. Take a look!
                        Spoiler:

Development will resume shortly. I've also been made aware of Crystal Disassembly so I'll look into it. Very soon I'll start recruiting more people to help out with the project for the following roles:
                        - Scripting
                        - Story Editor
                        - Map/route design
                        - A back-up spriter for...back sprites? Fine tuning

If you're interested in getting in on this, message me what role you want along with a sample of your work and the name you want to be credited under. Til then, smell ya later ;0

My Deviant Art
                        Progress Thread
                        Old September 24th, 2016 (3:09 AM).

holy heck, i really REALLY like your Fakemon! they're very stylish and charming; they do a great job looking like gen II sprites, but i can see your own unique art style in them too. great work!

some of my favorites are the hocus/pocus/presto line, the doom stone line, and cirious (baby parliament member!)
                          Old September 24th, 2016 (12:16 PM).
                          Fakemon Novice

Quote:
                            Originally Posted by bynine View Post
                            holy heck, i really REALLY like your Fakemon! they're very stylish and charming; they do a great job looking like gen II sprites, but i can see your own unique art style in them too. great work!

some of my favorites are the hocus/pocus/presto line, the doom stone line, and cirious (baby parliament member!)
                            Thank you so much!

My Deviant Art
                            Progress Thread
                            Old July 2nd, 2017 (9:55 AM).

How's this hack going? I'm actually impressed by this.
                              Old July 2nd, 2017 (10:58 AM).

This looks very good. Good luck with your hack!
                                Old July 2nd, 2017 (9:48 PM).
                                SubstituteCreature SubstituteCreature is offline
                                Fakemon Novice

Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by Symo View Post
                                  This looks very good. Good luck with your hack!
                                  Thank you!

Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by Ziko577 View Post
                                  How's this hack going? I'm actually impressed by this.
                                  I'm taking a break from it right now to work on the narrative (main events, dialogue, etc.)
                                  So far I've made the most progress with the Fakedex, with only backsprites left to do.

My Deviant Art
                                  Progress Thread
                                  Old July 3rd, 2017 (9:01 AM).

That's great. Will you release something playable soon?
                                    Old January 28th, 2018 (9:49 PM). Edited January 28th, 2018 by Thrbbking123.

Nature: Hardy
                                      Man can't wait to see this hack completed it looks so good
                                      Old February 22nd, 2018 (4:28 PM).
                                      JollyRancherTorres1 JollyRancherTorres1 is offline

I can't wait to see this hack to it's full potiental, I LOVE it's a fresh pokemon taste for the GBC with fakemon and new characters. Good Luck :)

Quick Reply