• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

You teach me, and I'll teach you

pkmin3033

When starting a video game for the first time, what is your preferred method of learning how to play it? Are you the kind of person who will read the instruction manual and/or slog through every tutorial the game throws at you, or do you prefer to learn how to play the game without any help from the game at all? Do unskippable tutorials annoy, or serve as a useful tool for you? Have you ever played a game where you wish it'd explain the systems more than it does, and had to resort to FAQs or videos to find out how it works?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
I'm pretty impatient when it comes to that stuff and usually I just like diving in and learning as I go rather than reading everything. If tutorials are unskippable I tend to skim the text while clicking through the dialogue boxes, but sometimes I find myself going back to tutorials or asking someone what to do when I've skipped everything, if I can't figure out what to do lol.

An example I can think of are the Danganronpa trials - they keep adding features and minigames to the trials as the game progresses and I'm usually like "ok I get it I cut words with a sword" and I just skip the tutorials, only to be kinda lost later on and having to go back and see what the exact instructions were.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
Long tutorials are annoying, but quick ones with decent spacing between them aren't too much of a slog. I don't like being inundated with instructions at the start because it's too much at once and I get overwhelmed so quickly... but I also hate getting 80% of the way through the game and finally reading through the menus to find out there were a bunch of cool things I could have been doing from the start.

I appreciate games that really think about how to best show their tutorials. And I also appreciate when games give you the option to skip, even if I never take it until a second playthrough, hahaha.

Years
I just follow what the game wants. If it's set on giving me a long tutorial, then I will pay attention. If it wants me to feel it out first and then ask me if I want to know more later, that's fine too.

I'm not too fussed, if it's giving me a tutorial then I'll assume it's for good reason.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 20, 2023
Doesn't matter to me. Tutorials are nice when you can skip them, but if you can't it's not the end of the world.

Back