• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Pokémon General Daily Chit-Chat. Join in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
At least that kid had two Pokemon back in Diamond/Pearl (I believe the other was a Starly). In Platinum though, he's just got the level 8 Magikarp, which only knows Splash. If it knew Tackle at least it wouldn't be so bad, but now I think his dad's just giving him tough love, haha.

Perhaps it's a forgotten legacy that we're mocking here. Perhaps the Magikarp (very likely) saved their lives more than once? I wouldn't shut it down right there.

The Magikarp in question, though, isn't quite the bit amused about the gathering of abuses he gets for "not acting according to plan" and whines that he "did his best".

While typing this I found another dilemma :P I had to change all the 'it's in my sentences to 'he's.
Do you guys refer to specific Pokémon as 'it'? Or do you think it's undignified and give them a hypothetical gender?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I call them it, all the time. Sometimes I call them "she" just to mess with people's heads. Most would probably rather refer to (most) pokémon as "he", but it's just like talking about an animal you don't know personally or know the name of. An elephant. Does he walk across the savanna? No, it walks. The elephant. You can't interpret just from me speaking about it if it's a female or male.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 31, 2013
Hitmontop with no Headbutt? D:

Okay, I just made a username just to ask this one question:

How come a Hitmontop can't use Headbutt?, Wouldn't it be more effective since he has a spike on his head? :o

-Random question from the top of my head-

:D

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Hitmontop has a tendency to spin a lot. Since it always spins, I guess that makes it a little difficult for them to land Headbutt? xD If they were on their feet, though, then maybe they could've rushed towards the opponent and stroke a move like that, but unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case. Hitmontop does know a lot of kicking moves, though, which makes perfect sense, as they could easily hit the opponent with their feet while spinning.

Hitmontop could stop spinning if they wanted, but they prefer not to, because according to one of their PokéDex entries, spinning allows them to travel faster than walking. Plus, it also helps them to increase the power of their attacks and block moves struck by the foe.

Last edited:
Years
I don't know if this needs its own thread, but it seems like something that we could discuss over in the DCC, so I'll move it there.

As far as Hitmontop goes, I'm pretty sure that most of its offence comes while standing on its head, which is why it has a kick/punch oriented moveset, much like the other members in its family. Headbutt might seem to be useful, but since Hitmontop don't move all that well on their feet, I wouldn't expect one trying to use the move even if it could.

MERGED.

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
Years
I like the Hitmontop/headbutt thing. Let's just say it could do some super jump ability, like bounce, and then land on the opponent spiky side-down. Doesn't that constitute a headbutt?

Years
I always found it weird that all of Hitmontop's pre-6th Gen sprites showed it spinning on its own head, I'm glad that in X/Y they finally got him to stand up normally. Heck, if one noticed Snorlax's history of sprites, it looked like he was slowly getting up every new generation and *BAM* his model in X/Y finally has him fully standing up.

rockeymon100

PORCUPINES!!!!!!
Years
  • Age 27
  • USA
  • Seen Nov 25, 2016
Old youtube pokemon show?

Okay so I remember a few years ago there being an old pokemon show a guy had made by hacking emerald on youtube. I feel like I'm crazy because I can't find it.
I can't remember the name of it either, but it had this plot where the main character was an orphan and went on to become a pokemon trainer, then wound up joining team magma, then may joined to try and get him out, then he left, then it went downhill when for some god awful reason he crossed over harry potter into it. But I loved the story XD
So does anyone else remember this or am I crazy? If so does anyone know what it was called so I can go relive my 12 year old glory days :3

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
Years
Hmm I've never even heard of that before: I'm presuming it was a hack, yeah?
Maybe simply googling until you find something, but on a quick run through I couldn't find anything...

rockeymon100

PORCUPINES!!!!!!
Years
  • Age 27
  • USA
  • Seen Nov 25, 2016
It was hack, the guy was questioned a few times on how he made it, if I had to give it a timeline I'd guess it was done around 2008, but that's not a for certain thing.
I'm going insane trying to remember what it was called XD, for what it was it actually had a decent story line, and took fanfiction to a different level XD
And I spent about 30 minutes googling before posting, and still am trying different things, or remembering different parts XD
I know it had 2 seasons, then he just abandoned it to start it over because he didn't like how it had drifted so far from it's original intent.

Years
Unfortunately, I can't help you, as I took a bit of a look around and couldn't find the hack or videos you're describing. This thread also doesn't really belong in Pokemon General, but doesn't quite belong in any of the Emulation & ROM Hacking boards either, so I'll move this to our DCC thread to see if anyone can help you over there.

And I don't know if this was a hack only on YouTube, but maybe do some digging around in either the Hacks Showcase or Progressing Hacks boards- you'd be surprised at some of the old hacks you can come across over there.

MERGED.

rockeymon100

PORCUPINES!!!!!!
Years
  • Age 27
  • USA
  • Seen Nov 25, 2016
It was a YouTube only thing sadly. Someone had asked about having a copy of his hacked ROM and he'd said it was to messed up with hacks and such to be played through (this was back before a lot of our hacking tools existed so it's u derstandable he wasn't able to have a playable copy of it)

IggyKoopa

#429: magical pokémon
Years
There's something up with my party in SoulSilver. All the female Pokémon are giving me flowers and feathers and things... ._.

(also, my Scyther is obsessed with some dude's floor...)

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
There's something up with my party in SoulSilver. All the female Pokémon are giving me flowers and feathers and things... ._.

(also, my Scyther is obsessed with some dude's floor...)
what is this i dont even

Maybe you are playing a hack.

Years
Best guess. The only instance I remember when a Pokémon acts weird is when you bring a Pokémon to Mt. Silver who's in Red's party.
What happens then? I don't think I've done that.
I'd never tried it either, so I just tried taking a Charizard and Snorlax to Mt. Silver a few minutes ago. They didn't do anything strange, and when I talked to them, the only messages I got when I talked to them were "Charizard is sensing something..." "Charizard let out a roar!" and "Charizard looked off into the distance and barked!" I got these same messages with other Pokemon like Gengar and Rhydon too, so maybe it only happens the first time you face Red?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 15, 2013
(Pokemon Wedding) Need a Giovanni based costume

Hey there guys, I don't know if this is the right place to put this so sorry if it isn't.

I need a costume based on Giovanni's clothes in the Best Wishes series (You know the series where Jessie and James change to their Black Uniforms) because i'm actually performing a wedding for two of my closest friends and they want a Pokemon themed ceremony, they will actually be Jessie and James. They want the "Boss" to perform their wedding.

So if anyone can direct me to where I can find it or someplace where it would be made for me that would be great. Thanks again!

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2013
I would highly recommend looking at costume makers on Deviantart. You can make an account and post a thread saying you're looking for a costume maker to make a Giovanni costume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back