• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Idea] Pokemon: Unnamed

Apple Juice

who are you
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jul 15, 2014
Hello all, I've been getting into making pokemon games pretty recently, and of course, I've decided to start one of my own. Screenshots will be hopefully soon!

Story: Your father wants you to set out on a journey, but you don't know if you should. You are still in shock of your mother's death two weeks before. Your father tells you that adventuring well help ease the pain- and so you reluctantly accept, taking the invitation from Professor Petunia - who gives you your first pokemon. At first, you dislike the whole idea, but as you find out about who killed your mother, and what they have to do with pokemon, you quickly decide that you will avenge your loss through battle-pokemon battle.

(Real rough draft!)

Screenshots:
2v1offb.jpg

The Pokedex (Y= Sprited, N= Not)
#001: Frileed (Frill + seed) (Y)
#002: ???
#003: ???
#004: Wolinge (Wool + singe) (Being Re-sprited)
#005: ???
#006: ???
#007: Otalake (Otamajukushi (japanese for tadpole) + lake) (N)

Credits:
-poccil for the starter kit
-Nytkoi for loaning me his OW set until I have my own (the OWs are made by a different spriter, I need to ask him who)
-Kyledove for the tiles (the sand tile was by me though)
-Scarf for some fakemon sprites

Last edited:

Cilerba

the hearts of lonely people
Years
I quite like this idea so far, but the fact that the player's mother gets killed really doesn't seem too 'Pokémon-ish.'
I'm looking forward to seeing more from this game.

And for the dual screen script, you can use CNG's kit (Starterkit XP) as it comes with one already.

Years
  • Seen Jul 31, 2014
It doesn;t seem very Pokemon-ish for the mother to die. But i like that you're not afraid of maturing the game. Another idea is perhaps she could simply be missing. Although thought to be dead, you start uncovering the truth? Either way nice idea.

Years
A lot of plots these days, are that the father died or the mother died, would be great if something new could come a long, but i like the fact that , he doesn't want to go on the journey which is different.

Apple Juice

who are you
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jul 15, 2014
I quite like this idea so far, but the fact that the player's mother gets killed really doesn't seem too 'Pokémon-ish.'
I'm looking forward to seeing more from this game.

And for the dual screen script, you can use CNG's kit (Starterkit XP) as it comes with one already.

Ok, thanks. I'm thinking about not using Dual Screen, as to be completely honest I don't think I could handle all the coding. /is not a very good scriptor

It doesn;t seem very Pokemon-ish for the mother to die. But i like that you're not afraid of maturing the game. Another idea is perhaps she could simply be missing. Although thought to be dead, you start uncovering the truth? Either way nice idea.

Thanks for your comments--the whole point of the mother dying is to draw a line to where it becomes a normal Pokemon game, and my goal is to make it a more mature version of the idea.

A lot of plots these days, are that the father died or the mother died, would be great if something new could come a long, but i like the fact that , he doesn't want to go on the journey which is different.

Yeah, thank you. I try (:

So, I'm revved up to start the game, but I've been having a crapload of technical problems. Hopefully I'll fix it and I'll get some screenshots up.

ALRIGHTY! Fixed, and the game is ready to be developed now. Check the first post for a new screnshot!

Last edited:

Cilerba

Years
Just a small, yes major tip: Never save a screenshot, or pixel art in JPEG.

For the actual screenshot itself: That house really shouldn't be on top of the mountain like that. Also, while it is a small screenshot, and I may be wrong, but the map looks a bit too open. A few more flowers, small trees, or maybe even an NPC or two, may fix that. :p

Last but not least, pat yourself on the back for using FRLG graphics. Not many people really use them nowadays, so nice job. n_n;

Cilerba

Years
Just a small, yes major tip: Never save a screenshot, or pixel art in JPEG.

For the actual screenshot itself: That house really shouldn't be on top of the mountain like that. Also, while it is a small screenshot, and I may be wrong, but the map looks a bit too open. A few more flowers, small trees, or maybe even an NPC or two, may fix that. :p

Last but not least, pat yourself on the back for using FRLG graphics. Not many people really use them nowadays, so nice job. n_n;

Apple Juice

who are you
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jul 15, 2014
Well the easiest way to capture a screenshot was with F8 and that saved it as a JPEG.

Thanks for the comment!

Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 10, 2020
Alt+print screen I find is easier actually, because that just captures the window. ;D

Regarding the plot: I disagree with everyone else, I think it sounds really promising actually! Contrary to what they tell you, you're not bound to making the game a cookie-cutter version of the official games. If you want to tackle some more mature themes or push the rating past E, you're allowed to. You're not bound by the need to appeal to a younger demographic, after all! Just be aware that you'll get some complaints. Those are kind of unavoidable, I'm afraid.

Screens look nice, if unremarkable. I'd switch to DPPt-style overworlds if I were you; RSE is a pain and a half to sprite, and it doesn't look as polished.

Apple Juice

who are you
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jul 15, 2014
Ok, here's some more. I've been working on this for awhile.

ev6um1.jpg
2cpx6s2.jpg
2ywuzw0.jpg

I know they are .JPEG... I need to figure out a way to take screenshots, PRNT+SCRN dosen't work for some reason. Until then these will be filler screenshots. I also need help fixing some errors: The windowskin will not become transparent, and the Gym sign IS transparent.

Credit to Nytkoi for the battle graphics!

These are also to show you that I am making slow progress. Also, I'd love to have fakemon, but I can't sprite, so we'll see.

Cilerba

Years
You may want to just stick to FRLG OW's, or 4th gen OW's, because mixing them isn't the best of ideas. :P
To capture the screens using F8, and have it .PNG, go to the script 'PokemonSystem' and find line 92.
It should have this:
Code:
filename=RTP.getSaveFileName(sprintf("capture%03d.bmp",i))
Change that '.bmp' to '.png' and the next time you take a screen, it should save as a .png, so when you upload it, the image uploader won't change it to .JPEG. Hope that helps you.

Last but not least, I'd recommend installing the fonts in the Fonts folder, so your fonts don't look like that when you play. :P

Apple Juice

who are you
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jul 15, 2014
The FRLG OW is only a filler until I find a spriter. Thanks, that'll definitely help!

Where would the fonts be?

And anything I can do about the windowskin?

/end twenty questions

Apple Juice

who are you
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jul 15, 2014
28hhni0.jpg

More teaser! I fixed some things, and I mapped two new maps.

I tried that Cilerba, but it didn't work. I think I might have a different Pokestarter, because it wasn't on Line 92, it as line 81, and it said:

Code:
filename=sprintf("./capture%03d.bmp",i)
  if !FileTest.exist?(filename)
   capturefile=filename
   break
  end

I changed it to PNG, but it still takes JPEG.

REALLY BADLY NEED: Trainer Spriter, Fakemon Spriter, DPPt OW Spriter! Please help!

Last edited:

Cilerba

Years
The FRLG OW is only a filler until I find a spriter. Thanks, that'll definitely help!

Where would the fonts be?

And anything I can do about the windowskin?

/end twenty questions

In the 'Fonts' folder inside of your game's folder.

If you mean about the black around the windowskin, just make it transparent in photoshop, or import it again in RMXP and left click the black.

Apple Juice

who are you
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jul 15, 2014
Thanks, I fixed those. But I could use some help making the screenshot capturing become .PNG. It does say that it is PNG format, but it says Photoshop can't parse the file type or something when I try to open it?

EDIT: I'm using my brother's Fakemon concepts (Wolinge & others)

Last edited:

Apple Juice

who are you
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jul 15, 2014
Hey guys, wanna see something amazing?

Spoiler:

Frileed, the Reptile Pokemon, #501, sprited by the fantabulous SCARF. <3

I've actually coded all the way up to the 2nd gym! So I'm making lots of progress. Anyone know any ways to screenshot besides f8?

Back