The PokéCommunity Forums Off-Topic Discussions Science & Technology
Chit-Chat Developers, developers, developers, developers

Science & Technology From the computer lab to the chemistry lab, or even the observatory, here's where we nerd out over all things science and technology!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #3576    
Old April 15th, 2015 (8:19 AM).
Incineroar's Avatar
Incineroar Incineroar is online now
the spirit of the fighter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Iki Town
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Nature: Brave
Posts: 13,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiroshi Sotomura View Post
Reinstall iTunes? Disconnect from the net and try? (CDDB issues?)

Dunno why you're using a dinosaur of a Mac though. :O
I tried all sorts of things, but it just doesn't want to cooperate.

And I basically got this Mac for free so I'm using it purely for muks and giggles. If I really wanted to, I could upgrade it to an older version of OSX though, although I'd lose compatibility with older applications unless I set up a second hard drive to accompany this one so I don't lose the 9.2.2 install.
__________________

Relevant Advertising!

  #3577    
Old April 15th, 2015 (2:09 PM).
Hiroshi Sotomura's Avatar
Hiroshi Sotomura Hiroshi Sotomura is offline
… … …
Developer PokéCommunity Daily StaffDSC
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Gender: Male
Nature: Lax
Posts: 16,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Fail View Post
I tried all sorts of things, but it just doesn't want to cooperate.

And I basically got this Mac for free so I'm using it purely for muks and giggles. If I really wanted to, I could upgrade it to an older version of OSX though, although I'd lose compatibility with older applications unless I set up a second hard drive to accompany this one so I don't lose the 9.2.2 install.
Older Macs aren't like PCs. You can have Mac OS 9 and OS X running on the same hard disk partition.
  #3578    
Old April 15th, 2015 (3:13 PM).
Incineroar's Avatar
Incineroar Incineroar is online now
the spirit of the fighter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Iki Town
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Nature: Brave
Posts: 13,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiroshi Sotomura View Post
Older Macs aren't like PCs. You can have Mac OS 9 and OS X running on the same hard disk partition.
I do remember something on "blessed" system folders, although I'd need a larger hard drive and a bit more RAM to run osx decently.
__________________
  #3579    
Old April 15th, 2015 (4:51 PM).
Tsutarja's Avatar
Tsutarja Tsutarja is online now
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Florida
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Nature: Jolly
Posts: 18,342
Soooo, I just noticed that Chrome in Windows 8 now has some emoji support. 🍕🍗🍘🍔🍖🍙🍟🎎🎓

And expressions are still unsupported. Weird.
__________________
Moderator of S&T!PartnerCreditMy Website
  #3580    
Old April 15th, 2015 (7:20 PM).
colours's Avatar
colours colours is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Gender: Female
Nature: Quiet
Posts: 28,852
All of those are boxes to me, because I'm using Chromium on Linux. :(
__________________
infinite colours

we're living limitless

  #3581    
Old April 15th, 2015 (7:52 PM).
Incineroar's Avatar
Incineroar Incineroar is online now
the spirit of the fighter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Iki Town
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Nature: Brave
Posts: 13,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by flight View Post
All of those are boxes to me, because I'm using Chromium on Linux. :(
I'm using Chrome on Windows and I only see boxes myself :/ I wonder if Chrome needs an update.

Edit: Yeah, I updated Chrome to Chrome 42 and it seems to be working.
__________________
  #3582    
Old April 15th, 2015 (8:16 PM).
Nick Nick is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Age: 19
Posts: 5,220
While Unicode sporting corporate-bought emoticons is all great and wonderful, I don't think it's fair. Unicode is supposedly a specification - a standard that everyone follows - and having money shouldn't entitle you to dictate the whims of what others have to support. Be it developers, users, or what.

@Zach I don't see any of those emoticons on Arch Linux. Probably wouldn't even see them on #!. I have a hunch the Linux dev community may feel similar to how I do, eh?

I do like how Font Awesome gets custom TTF work done without buying out the specification, though. Kudos to them.
  #3583    
Old April 16th, 2015 (6:12 PM).
Starry Windy's Avatar
Starry Windy Starry Windy is offline
I will fly in the sky~
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Somewhere in the islands.
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Nature: Modest
Posts: 7,624
Send a message via Skype™ to Starry Windy
Hmm, I think I have seen some of the emojis since I saw it on YouTube with my Firefox in about half a year ago, and it's quite good looking. I'm still quite unsure how to type it in PC, though.
__________________
  #3584    
Old April 17th, 2015 (2:18 AM).
Nick Nick is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Age: 19
Posts: 5,220
I really don't like how many closed-market advances are being made in the world of tech. Corporate interests are having so much say in things simply because they're rich and it's not cohesive to keep new ideas flowing into the system. As Linus Torvalds once said, "software is a lot like sex. It's better if it's free."

And it's all the more better than having no choice but to pay for it. Imagine that!
  #3585    
Old April 17th, 2015 (5:01 AM).
wakachamo wakachamo is offline
-
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inyotef View Post
I really don't like how many closed-market advances are being made in the world of tech. Corporate interests are having so much say in things simply because they're rich and it's not cohesive to keep new ideas flowing into the system. As Linus Torvalds once said, "software is a lot like sex. It's better if it's free."

And it's all the more better than having no choice but to pay for it. Imagine that!
Yes, everything in the world should be free. Then we'd all live in a perfect world, right? :)
__________________

Paired with Forest Grovyle.
  #3586    
Old April 18th, 2015 (7:45 PM).
Tsutarja's Avatar
Tsutarja Tsutarja is online now
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Florida
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Nature: Jolly
Posts: 18,342
Time to bury the roots of when I was first modded into the ground. A new DCC will be on its way shortly! :D
__________________
Moderator of S&T!PartnerCreditMy Website
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 3:37 PM.