• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why do you play Pokemon?

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Nov 24, 2014
When I was little I liked the idea of having cute animals do my bidding, defeating other cute animals and evolving into cooler animals along the process. Now that I'm older I've come to enjoy the biodiversity of the Pokemon world, the atmospheric music in games, the bond with my pokemon team each run of a game and most recent of all... SHINY HUNTING!

AaronAbsol

AaronAbsol
Years
I initially started playing Pokémon because my cousin told me to buy it after he did. When I finally got the game, I played it for days straight, the experience was like no other.

I guess the main reason I play is because of the story and different and powerful Pokémon. I enjoy playing as the hero, defeating Team Rocket and such. Especially when I can knock them down all with one Pokémon. Although, a challenge can be fun too. Battling and playing with friends is also nice.

Jessie

Don't forget to be awesome.
Years
Honestly it's just always been something that has appealed to me. I have always loved animals and I love the idea of being able to walk around in my own little world and search for the perfect Pokemon. The story lines are always interesting to me, but the most fun part of the game is meeting and catching all the Pokemon, talking to everyone and training against other wild Pokemon and trainers.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I play for mainly three reasons. I want to relive the story, or experience it for the first time for the games I still haven't beaten, haha. I also want to test out new team configurations every time i play. That's a big charm of pokémon, after all. And lastly I still play gen I and II games sometimes for nostalgia. Nostalgia is a strange, powerful feeling (is it a feeling?).

T The Manager

RealTalkRealFlow
Years
Walk up to some random homeless person or a person in general that doesn't have any possessions and I can almost guarantee you their life will change forever. They would instantly get hooked. I tried this with one of my friends because he said something and I gave him my phone with Pokemon playing and I said, "play for a bit, then tell me if you feel the same" or something like that and he instantly got hooked so I got him set up with Pokemon on his phone xD.

But to answer your question. I play it because it's interesting and believe it or not, if it weren't for Pokemon I wouldn't know how to read that well. I absolutely used to hate reading and always had a problem with reading but I loved reading and learning to comprehend the scrips in the games. I also like the strategy's and gameplan you need to run if you wanna win a tough battle. Then there's also that childhood memory of playing it haha. I may just play on my phone and laptop now, but wherever I go I'll have Pokemon to play! I'm a boss.

Harmonious Fusion

over the rainbow, there's a glorious sight
Years
I like the world, lore, and monster designs. I'm a creative person, and the very concept of Pokemon provides all kinds of opportunities for creative expression. Plus, shinies appeal to my inner collector/hoarder.

And honestly, I love being able to escape to another world, especially one as idealistic as Pokemon's. To me, that idealism forms a part of the franchise's heart that's every bit as important as the monsters themselves. Even when my life is terrible, I can turn to this world that's formed on strong bonds of friendship and acceptance of others, and that cheers me up.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Dec 15, 2013
I like Pokemon because it has many games to the whole series, it is also just plain fun to play the games.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 29, 2019
I play it because I like having various options to go through strategy wise in the games I play and Pokémon has for the most part delivered on that aspect beautifully and it's one of the few games I can find that lets me tinker around with the difficulty however I like through challenges only limited by what you can come up with in your mind to name a few such reasons.

Andrew

Ah Yeah 아예
Years
That's actually a really good question. And to be honest, I'm not sure I have a definitive answer. I started playing when I was about 4, and I've just played ever since. I guess overall, it's just fun. It's so simple that a child can play it, but it's enjoyable for anyone. The stories may not win any awards, but it doesn't matter, because it's just fun to play.

And then, beyond the main game, there's the whole meta game. Using strategies and your knowledge of the game to become the best you can be at it, and challenging your friends. The game can be as complex or as simple as you desire it to be. Which is why people of all ages can play and enjoy it.

s0nido

turn up the engine
Years
I've grown up with Pokemon. I've been playing it since I was six years old. It's hard to just put something like that aside, especially when I've been playing this long. Another big reason why I play Pokemon is for the Pokemon themselves. I'm always interested as to what new Pokemon they introduce each generation and I love choosing my favourites from each. It's fun battling with my favourite Pokemon, too.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
I... don't know why I play it anymore. It's been apart of my life too long to just drop it now, even if I think it can sometimes be a little ridiculous. I think I'll eventually stop playing it long enough to completely lose interest, considering how fast I lost interest in X/Y after not playing it for a couple weeks.

Years
The cute Pokemon! This franchise is a treasure for people like myself who love animals, collecting, and cute things. There's so much to do in Pokemon games and always something to keep me interested each generation.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I play Pokemon because it's something I enjoy and find fun in doing. I've grown up with Pokemon, so it's been a party of nearly my whole life.

Years
Personally i have found it strangely addicting....

The thought of going off into an adventure to become the best, while befriending and capturing creatures called pokemon that will help you with your goal. And then getting tangled into some evil plan to change/destroy the world is pretty amazing to me.

Back