• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Generation 8 Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claire Lilly

~Professional Vulpix Breeder/Trainer~
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 16, 2019
I want to see new evolutions for Evee, but I don't think there will be any, although some types are still missing. Oh, new pokeballs would be nice too. And more mega-evolutions, I specially want one for Ninetales.

Last edited:
Years
I expect it to be borrowing elements from Let's Go as well as Gen 7.

I want Gen 8 to actually be a reinvigorating refresh from what past main series games have been.

Last edited:
Years
Preferably with NO elements of Let's Go, I say...

I've learned over the years that Game Freak, while they're willing to change their standard formula up a bit (as evidenced by Gen 7), more often than not they're going to stick to their guns and go with what they've always been accustomed to. Therefore my expectations aren't too high of a radical departure from the usual by any means.

Last edited:

pkmin3033

I expect another awful narrative that is essentially recycled from Gen III's "take over the world with the mascot Legendary!" plot that bores me to death and doesn't do anything to properly develop its one-dimensional NPCs who constantly get in the way.

I want everything to be available in-game. Without requiring trading, or stupid timed in-store events. I'll take whatever other rubbish they throw at me as long as I can actuall catch 'em all. If spinoff games can do it then the core titles sure as hell ought to be able to.

Last edited:

Guest123_x1

*More, and even longer, unnecessary cutscenes that contribute absolutely nothing to the gameplay.
*A reworked implementation of "Island Trials" with a similar format to the Sun/Moon series.
*Trainer customization either being removed completely, or clothing options being cut down to far fewer choices as compared to Sun/Moon or X/Y.

What I want:
*Less event-only mythical Pokémon (no more than one, please!)
*Though this sounds hypocritical to what I said above, I want a return of the "standard" legendary trio format (base stat total 580, a la Articuno/Zapdos/Moltres and Raikou/Entei/Suicune).
*A return of the original Pokémon capture "shake check" methodology that was used only in Generation I (where a second or further attempt to capture a Pokémon with more shakes than the previous was a good sign that the capture would be successful. Those of you who regularly played Generation I either back in the day on the Game Boy or even in recent years via the 3DS Virtual Console will know what I'm talking about.)
*More variety in catch rate values - how would 250, 240, 110, 95, or even 40, 20, and 10 (none of those values listed, as far as I know, have ever been used on any Pokémon) sound?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen today
My biggest hope is for more regional variants, especially of non-Kanto Pokemon.

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Years
1. A well made, interesting region that takes full advantage of it's inspiration for Pokemon and locales. Alola was great in this regard, and I hope they continue to do so in these future games.

2. An actual postgame. Ultra Sun and Moon were a step in the right direction, but I wish there was more to do aside from battling and catching. It would make the games much more fun to go back to.

3. Multiple save files. There is nothing worse than deciding whether to delete your save file or not.

4. A new type. Every generation, Gamefreak has fewer and fewer new type combinations to choose from. A new type would not only shake up the metagame, but also give Gamefreak lots of new type combos to choose from. (Maybe something to nerf steel and fairy types?)

5. An option to skip cutscenes. If the next games are as story based as gen 7, they'll most likely have a ton of interruptions. Having the ability to skip any cut scene would improve the pacing and let players enjoy the story the way they want to.

Years
I'd rather not speak negatively about what I expect so I'll just focus on wants.

Less linearity. I would like the option to choose myself how I want to explore the region. I think it should be ok to get to a city before its time for that city's main story events are to be triggered. It's been done before so there's no good reason it can't be done again.

A more daring region in terms of environment. Somewhere like north/mid Egypt, or part/all of Norway with Svalbard included. Every region has been mostly green: perceived 'normal' environments. A common argument against having a region set somewhere very cold or in a Sahara type region is that means most of the Pokémon would have to be Ice types or ground/rock/fire types. Well I disagree considering not every Pokémon you meet in a lusciously green area is grass or bug type. Also it doesn't need to be 100% true to the real life counterpart anyway; there isn't a desert in New York after all.

A nice chunky area to be explored in the post-game. This one doesn't really need much explanation. Most of us want it so it can speak for itself,

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 10, 2024
1. New alternative evolutions for older Pokémon.
As much as I want evolutions for Pokémon like Dunsparce or Farfetch'd, that's not gonna happen, but it does not rule out alternative evos, as demonstrated with Sylveon.

The Pokémon I think would work best for alternative evolutions are Kadabra, Haunter, Dragonair, Remoraid, Combee, Pancham, and Salandit. I would definitely enjoy a male evolution of Salandit. It might just be a physical Salazzle, but with Knock Off and hopefully Fire Lash in it's movepool, it would be a delightfully devious Pokémon to use in my journey.

2. Regional Variants for later generations.
There are still a good chunk of Pokémon out there that have potential for amazing variants. Having variants for at least the first four generations would allow for some variety, since several Kanto, Johto and Hoenn Pokémon have evolutions and pre-evolutions in later generations, like Rhydon, Sneasel, Roselia, and Chimecho. This would make up for Johto Pokémon not receiving Alolan forms in USUM, taking into account their already established nativity to Alola, and establishment as Mega Evolution users.

Water and Flying-type Pokémon are able to leave and enter Alola as they please, so they're not stuck in Alola long enough to adapt.

As for Pokémon I'd like to receive regional variants; my personal choices include Arcanine, Victreebel, Granbull, Ursaring, Donphan, Breloom, Zangoose, Seviper, Weavile, and Rhyperior.

3. Buffs to certain Abilities
Some Abilities could do with solid remedies, like Mega Launcher boosting ball, bomb, and blast moves, as well as Magician enabling the user to switch and steal items at random.

4. Ability Changes
Generation VII shows that it's possible to change already established Abilities, like replacing Gengar's Levitate with Cursed Body. I want some Pokémon that have evasion Abilities like Sand Veil and Snow Cloak as their Hidden Abilities to receive different Abilities, since evasion is banned and looked down upon competitively.

Golem, Articuno, and Donphan are awesome Pokémon, and deserve Abilities that allow them to be used in competitive formats if transferred from the Virtual Console games (R/B/Y and/or G/S/C).

Pokémon that already have Sand Veil or Snow Cloak as their main Abilities, like Garchomp, Sandslash, Glaceon, and Froslass, can just receive a new secondary Ability. It will save players some hassle with breeding, unless they want specific Egg Moves.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
What I want:

-More evolutions/pre evolutions of old Pokémon, and not the return of Mega Evolutions. There are some Pokémon that really need to be given an evolution, like Tropius, Komala, Qwilfish, Corsola, Skarmory, Luvdisk, Basculin. But if I had to choose what Pokémon I'd actually like to see get mega evolutions, if they bring that godawful mechanic back, then Farfetch'd, Milotic, Flygon and Dunsparce come to mind.

-Perhaps this is underrated, but bring back Baby Pokémon. I'd like to see this concept brought back for some Pokémon from generations one, two, (maybe six) get baby Pokémon.

-Keep HMs removed as a thing. HMs are a shitty experience, and Generation 7 did a good thing to remove them.

-Do something other than gyms again, maybe. I don't really want to see gyms make a return just yet, not going to even lie.

-MAKE ICE TYPES USEFUL OR MORE RELEVANT. BUFF ICE TYPES FOR THE LOVE OF GOD. Ice types are still pretty terrible, we need something to be done w/that in Generation 8.

-A Poison/Steel type Pokémon is something I still kind of want. I'm very disappointed Meltan was not made this type combination.

-Less handholding, can we please do away with the excessive handholding that Sun/Moon did to us? That'd be great.

HeroLinik

To this day, he still can't beat Air Man...
Years
Oh boy, here we go...

- Nerf the Water-type and Electric-type. While lots of people are pointing to the Fairy-type about it being "broken" and "overpowered" one of the chief reasons for its creation was to stop people mindlessly spamming Outrage and winning battles. Even then, at that point dragons were getting really overpowered as it was, and even if you could send in a Steel-type a lot of dragons carry Fire and Ground coverage to deal with it. What nobody really looks at though, is the fact that Water has really good type coverage, and only fears two types, one of which is easily circumvented because a lot of Water-types get stuff like Ice Beam, hereby leaving it with only one "true" weakness. Electric is in a similar boat, with only one weakness, but some Electric-types can easily circumvent this by using a Flying-typing (which only gives it more weaknesses) or Levitate. This can be offset by the fact that its weakness can't be touched by the typing, but perhaps giving it a second or a third weakness could set it in its place.

- Free camera control and a third-person perspective. This is a pretty valid criticism that's targeted towards the Gen 6 and Gen 7 titles is while they have 3D models and overworld, the game still plays out like the 2D games, which isn't helped by the fact the camera can't be moved around. So what we could see is, to take advantage of the Switch hardware, make this into a "true" 3D game with a third person perspective, and let us move the camera around at will. That way, we can appreciate the areas as they are, rather than being stuck forced to look in one direction. Imagine looking up to the sky in a snowy area at night and seeing an aurora with Cresselia streaking across the sky...

- Less railroading and more exploration. While I like the current generation, one thing I have to admit is that recent generations have a major problem in that they force players to be railroaded along a set path and not encourage them to explore as part of the objective, only as part of side areas that can be accessed after getting a special item or HM. BW was the worst at this, with Unova pretty much being a big circle with a thing sticking out. In tying with this, I want to see another of these "choose your own route" kind of things that were pretty common in Gen 1 and Gen 4, or open up several free routes to us to explore at our own leisure without requiring an ability obtained later in the game, such as in Gen 3. Or alternatively, get rid of the whole "this is where you are, this is where you need to go!" prompts on the Rotom Dex to something else, preferably something along the lines of when you tap your companion (if you have one) it pulls up something like "You seem to be lost, would you like some assistance?" and then gives players a subtle hint of where to go. That way, veterans aren't upfront treated like the new players. In postgame, drop this thing entirely because the player won't need any hand-holding.

- More involved dungeons. That is definitely one thing that sucks about the newer games. Dungeons are still present, but they have been heavily reduced to either a clear straight path through, reduction of the threatening factor, or if there's a puzzle involved, give way too excessive guidance instead of letting the player figure out how to do it. Especially, I would like to see this when the player goes into the locations where the legendaries reside. Not only does it ask a lot from the player, it also makes sure that they are worthy to capture the legendary by solving their "trial". Vast Poni Canyon was a step in the right direction but it was marred by Lillie appearing every so often to heal your team. If this was a previous generation you'd be doing this on your own with no heals. As for the whole thing about the threatening factor, this was one thing that Santalune Forest got wrong in comparison to its counterpart, Viridian Forest. The original felt like a trek through dangerous woods not just because of the music, because you were just starting out, and you already had to take on a large, daunting forest on your own with Pokemon out to poison you. This one, on the other hand, feels more like a pleasant walk through the forest because there were less opportunities to be poisoned, and also because a walking Pokemon Center was by your side.

Years
Desired:

• Solid character design which ebbs away from the current style and returns to former heights. Generation Five days, for example, but hopefully all that which preceded it.
  • A proper endgame which allows you to have a totally new team without grinding in the grass or re-challenging the Elite Four.
  • A rival who hates your guts and tries to sabotage you. Master of the backtalk and battlefield alike. A real challenge. A real git.
  • A taste of the bizarre. I want to be surprised.

Expected:

• Another tropical location... hello darkness my old friend...
  • A moderate approach to entice children to the franchise. We old children are being outsourced.

... nope my imagination just died.

Years
To be honest, I don't know what I want...just a way to transfer easily from gen 7 to gen 8. Yup.
Oh, a NEW battle frontier would be nice!

EDIT: Also something different instead of gyms and trials. Surprise us Gamefreak.

Last edited:

_pheebee

[I]Gosh! What's poppin'?[/i]
Years
Desired:
  • A Rival who is actually challenging, and does not assist you at all. Always giving you smack, and boasting about their feats.
  • Not Ditching, but making gimmicks like Mega Evo, and Z-Moves are less common thing. They're boring, and are really not that good.
  • Another 16 badge entry, have a G/S type thing with a brand new region, and revist an old region like Hoenn, or Sinnoh a few years after it's main story events.
  • A less dramatic Evil Team. Enough of this, we're going to destroy the world/edit the ecosystem/destroy pokémon/use and abuse ultra beasts stuff. Team Rocket are good because they are just morally wrong. They're just criminals, Not Terrorists.
  • Trailers, and Promos to be small, and scarce. Most of Su/Mo/US/UM was spoiled before it was released, thus I had no interest to press on with the story.
Expected:
  • "Hi, I'm your best friend, here's some potions, here's some pokéballs, look over there? What is it?! It's me, walking us to our next gym battle, hehee!
  • "Hurr hurr, we're the evil team, and we wanna literally tear reality apart!"
  • Christian Moms removed the Safari, Game Corner, and now the Drug Store.

Last edited:

Gigadweeb

[b][i]The Black Swordsman[/i][/b]
Years
I just want a decent postgame and not to be fucking glued onto a one-way treadmill throughout the region with it stopping every two seconds so a personality clone of Brendan/May can come up and give the same tutorial as the past few generations.

So, yeah, basically I might as well be asking for a million dollars.

BH

Canine pokemon fan
Years
What do you guys expect to see in gen 8 games? What do you wanna see?

Here we go again ;) :

-Two or three new Eeveelutions
-Mega evolutions for the eeveelutions
-Dawn stone evolution of a female Kirlia (make her something like a diva)
-Dawn stone evolution of a male snorunt (make him like father frost)
-Remake of D/P
-Finally pokemon having voices instead of cries
-Cave bear fossil pokemon

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back