• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Map] Changing icon & text color for top layer locations on Firered's World Map

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 26, 2023
Howdy,

So I'm working on the world map in my Firered hack, and I was wondering how to control how locations on the top layer are displayed. Some of them are small white dots, and others are blue squares. I'd like to change the squares to dots for consistency's sake. Anyone know how to do that?

Also, when highlighted, the name of the location is written in either green, red, or a glitchy red and white. How can the color of the text be changed?

Here's some pics if this makes it any easier to tell what I'm talking about.

One more question. Is it possible to make a location appear on the map only once it has been visited at least once?

Thanks for any insight!

Years
  • Seen yesterday
Howdy,

So I'm working on the world map in my Firered hack, and I was wondering how to control how locations on the top layer are displayed. Some of them are small white dots, and others are blue squares. I'd like to change the squares to dots for consistency's sake. Anyone know how to do that?

Also, when highlighted, the name of the location is written in either green, red, or a glitchy red and white. How can the color of the text be changed?

Here's some pics if this makes it any easier to tell what I'm talking about.

One more question. Is it possible to make a location appear on the map only once it has been visited at least once?

Thanks for any insight!

for the first question, have you tried using advancemap 1.92? or have you already done that to no success?

Of course he did that, the pictures show that the whole map has been changed.

On: Concerning the blue and gray dots, their display depends on whether you've set the worldmapflag for that specific location. If you've not set it, the dot will appear gray. If you did set it, the dot will appear blue and display some info once you click on it on the town map.

When you've set the worldmapflag the text will also appear green once you slide over that location instead of red (for the gray dots).

Concerning the glitchy red/white text, you've made a map header name entry that was originally a route or a city into the Eclipse Tunnel. You should use a map header name entry that was originally a mountain/forest instead. Those map header name entries are linked to a description that can be read, in opposition to routes and cities which don't have that.

Concerning ''location appear on the map only once it has been visited'', probably possible, but would need some ASM. There's no easy guide that describes how it can be done.

Back