• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Pokemon Red and Blue Deluxe

Should monsters have Generation 2-styled front sprites?

• Yes

Votes: 372 82.1%
  • No

Votes: 81 17.9%

• Total voters
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 21, 2021
Due to the demand of Gen 2 front sprites, a poll has now been placed to determine that. It will end exactly in a week.

Thank you! I have already got JIRACHI and almost finish the dex(253 seen /197 own), but some monsters can't be found by the dex(poliwag family). Where can l get them?

Fishing rod and surfing monsters can't be located via the Area function. Use the rods in various different areas to fish marine monsters out. Wailmer can be found in Sea Routes 19, 20, and 21 - very rare if you're playing Red though. Some monsters are exclusive to in-game trades as well, and some you can only get in the Game Corner. Use every available resource!

I just beat the hardest version of Blue DX and enjoyed it quite a bit even though I've played the original games and Fire Red/Leaf Green a million times. Thank you for making this TheScarletSword.

Questions/Concerns:
1. What is there to do in the post-game other than catch Pokemon? I don't see this in the OP.
2. I second the notion that the front sprites should be from gen 2. I think the gen 1 sprites look ugly against the gen 2 graphics.
3. I was frustrated that Excadrill couldn't learn Iron Head. What's that about?
4. I started playing Red DX to try playing through with the other new Pokemon and can't find Deino. Maybe it's in Victory Road?

Thank you for your kind words; I'm glad you've enjoyed it!

Spoiler:

2. Poll is up for that now!
3. Excadrill sadly doesn't learn Iron Head via level up in the later games, so it wasn't carried over to here. =(
Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
Gen I sprites are ok, they have their own charm... just some of them need changes (I'm looking at you, Shroomish)

Years
As I said, what struck me about gen 1 front sprites was having better quality gen 2 back sprites. I'm afraid I would have a similar feeling if you change gen 1 pokemon front sprites to gen 2, while leaving new gen pokemon front sprites as gen 1 (green) style (I know you can't help this anyway).

Otherwise I'm fine with gen 1 frontsprites and I love them.

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
The EXP Bar [Original]
I really don't know who actually worked on this, but it was first in Danny's Gen 2 Graphics patch. Clarify whenever.

The EXP bar was only worked on by me.
I originally wrote the code almost two years ago

Sanqui/Sanky:
  • · Porting of TCG/Pinball music
Actually Sanqui ported the Pinball music and I ported the TCG and TCG 2 music.

By the way, this looks amazing! Keep it up! I'm glad our hacks are going to good use!

AtecainCorp.

Rejishan awake...
Years
Ok. I beat main plot. After that I start experiments with GameShark codes... One thing suprised me... Since I've seen that you have one unused Pokemon spot. I test cheat with value FF. And I found empty but usable pokemon. Are you going to put an pokemon in that place?

Years
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I beat the gym leaders again but the elite four was the same when I tried re-matching them. Do I have to complete my pokedex for them to get harder? If the answer is yes, why is this so?

Zetsubou Johnny

He once drank an entire bottle of windex
Years
Great game, I'm really digging it and I love how you've given gen 1 so much life again.

I found a two errors or bugs tho.
1 I got the shiny charm on my first run through celedon city just by talking to the guy. I only have 48 pokemon.
2 I think there might be an issue with shiny gastly. using the shiny charm I cam across a gastly that for a second was blue, but then turned back purple before i sent out my pokemon
Also can I get a hint as to where the shiny stone might be?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 21, 2021
The EXP bar was only worked on by me.
I originally wrote the code almost two years ago

Actually Sanqui ported the Pinball music and I ported the TCG and TCG 2 music.

By the way, this looks amazing! Keep it up! I'm glad our hacks are going to good use!

Updated the credits section with all of this, thank you!

Ok. I beat main plot. After that I start experiments with GameShark codes... One thing suprised me... Since I've seen that you have one unused Pokemon spot. I test cheat with value FF. And I found empty but usable pokemon. Are you going to put an pokemon in that place?

0xFF is a placeholder used for the Ghost in Pokemon Tower.

I beat the gym leaders again but the elite four was the same when I tried re-matching them. Do I have to complete my pokedex for them to get harder? If the answer is yes, why is this so?

You do have to complete the dex for them to get harder. As for why, there's a neat little surprise after you finish the Elite Four rematches that lines up pretty well.

Great game, I'm really digging it and I love how you've given gen 1 so much life again.

I found a two errors or bugs tho.
1 I got the shiny charm on my first run through celedon city just by talking to the guy. I only have 48 pokemon.
2 I think there might be an issue with shiny gastly. using the shiny charm I cam across a gastly that for a second was blue, but then turned back purple before i sent out my pokemon
Also can I get a hint as to where the shiny stone might be?

I'll test both of these out and get back to you ASAP if they don't turn up; thanks for the heads up.

Shiny Stone is near Fuchsia City... it's not on any of the Routes, but it's in a place where a variety of Pokemon can be captured.

Zetsubou Johnny

He once drank an entire bottle of windex
Years
I'll test both of these out and get back to you ASAP if they don't turn up; thanks for the heads up.

If it's any help it was on Red 1.04 H1
When i get to celedon on my blue I'll see if it happens too.

Also I didn't go into it much earlier, but this is a truly remarkable hack. You can really see all the thought thats been put into this game. From the time and energy you've put into planning out and working on the metagame to the 4 difficulty modes, heck 8 if you include inverse. You've really made this game your own while honoring the original.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 21, 2021
1.06 is out. Fixed the Diploma and Shiny Charm issue. I'm a big dummy and forgot to set it to check for 252 pokemon instead of 1, which is what it was set to while I was testing the code during the closed beta version. Oops.
Also addressed a bug Mateo pointed out at the top of this page.

If it's any help it was on Red 1.04 H1
When i get to celedon on my blue I'll see if it happens too.

Also I didn't go into it much earlier, but this is a truly remarkable hack. You can really see all the thought thats been put into this game. From the time and energy you've put into planning out and working on the metagame to the 4 difficulty modes, heck 8 if you include inverse. You've really made this game your own while honoring the original.

Fixed the issue, as for the Gastly thing, I tried catching one with a Shiny Ball and everything worked fine for me. Sometimes the sprite might flash to its regular palette for a brief nanosecond, but it still works.

Thank you for your kind words! I'm glad you (and everyone else) are enjoying it!

Years
  • Seen May 7, 2023
Thank you for answering my questions. IF possible, would you please share the clean rom of Pokemon Blue?

Years
  • Seen Aug 27, 2018
5 episodes into my Let's Play on Youtube of your hack on the hardest patch and I love the challenge. Frustrating at times, but so fun. if you've kept tabs on the series. Haha, Anyway keep up the great work bud!

Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2022
Thanks for all the work. I would like to see more guides regarding the different balls, shiny charm and etc. Also om witch lvl does the pokemons learn new moves and would you like to say where to find all the new pokemon or keep that a secret? anyway is fine for me. There is a problem with ammulet coin, it does not work and it gives me 0$ instead of the normal value when I set it first on item order. One more question, can raichu and clefable learn volt tackle and moonblast/moonlight respectvely or should I wait them learn the movea before envolving. Sorry for too many questions and bad testing, i am on phone.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 21, 2021
But still you have 0x00 place. Since I've also seen usable place for Pokemon. Since NO MISSINGNO there as I've seen. So?

It's thanks to you that I have now learned I might be able to move Ghost to 0x00 and still have 0xFF as a free slot! I'm going to look into this for the next update.

this looks like a cool game~

Thank you!

5 episodes into my Let's Play on Youtube of your hack on the hardest patch and I love the challenge. Frustrating at times, but so fun. if you've kept tabs on the series. Haha, Anyway keep up the great work bud!

Glad to see you're liking it. I'm always a bit unsure about how hard Challenge Mode+ can really be since I didn't play through it (I did normal challenge mode and just slapped plus mode features on later)

Thanks for all the work. I would like to see more guides regarding the different balls, shiny charm and etc. Also om witch lvl does the pokemons learn new moves and would you like to say where to find all the new pokemon or keep that a secret? anyway is fine for me. There is a problem with ammulet coin, it does not work and it gives me 0$ instead of the normal value when I set it first on item order. One more question, can raichu and clefable learn volt tackle and moonblast/moonlight respectvely or should I wait them learn the movea before envolving. Sorry for too many questions and bad testing, i am on phone.

More guides are definitely going to be released soon, probably within the next 10-12 days. I wanted to release all of the guides along with the github source, I'll probably wait to release 1.07 at the same time as well.

There is a learnset guide included in the .rar that gives you level up moves for newer moves. Go into the documents folder and click on 'Learnsets.pdf'.

All of the new Pokemon are scattered in Kanto, in-game trades and Game Corner. I'll be releasing the wild pokemon document in a few days as well.

I've known about Amulet Coin having issues, but sadly cannot seem to pin down the cause at this time. Someone told me it was involving the Pokemaniac trainer class; I'll see if I can fix it for the next release.

Pichu line only learns Volt Tackle at Level 30 as a Pichu, Clefairy learns Moonblast at Level 65 (it's crazy high, I know) If you're not playing Challenge Mode, I'd recommend slapping Dazzling Gleam (TM30) on it instead.

Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2022
Thanks for the quick response. I will catch and train pichu in the future and wait for my clefary to get moonblast since i am on challenge mode, in the meantime danzing gleam is doing a great job. I am only having problems with the tms since I dont know witch one it is before purchasing. Since you added new moves witch generation list should I use? Also is charizard still the best HM slave option? Considering I will need only strenght, Fly and Cut

Back