• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Script Help Thread (DO NOT REQUEST SCRIPTS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2010
It doesn't really matter where you put it, but I would put it before the givepokemon command.

givepokemon 1 5 0
message $[pointer]
boxset 6

#org $[pointer]
$[pointer] 1 = \v\h01 received the Pokemon!
Is this correct
Spoiler:
Sorry for asking for so much help

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
Is this correct
Spoiler:

It's more efficient to use '0x828' throughout the entire script. There's no need for an extra flag when you're going to end up setting '0x828' anyways. Also, to recreate that jingle effect, you should use something like this (ripped directly from the script of the Poké Balls in Professor Oak's lab):

Code:
preparemsg @receive // "Player received the Pokemon!" text
waitmsg
fanfare 0x13E
waitfanfare

Again, I haven't used PokeScript in ages so I don't know if it has support for those commands. If it doesn't, then for you there may never be a more compelling moment to switch to XSE or PKSV. :)

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2020
I took the trees out of start map but when I go to the edge of the map there are trees past map edge. How do I fix this? I'm making a desert region is why I need to know.

wat if two sides are sand and two sides are water how would I do two different borders? would I have to edit the ASM?

This is the Script Help thread. You should post in this thread if you need help with your maps.

TB Pro

Old-timer
Years
Is this correct
Spoiler:
Fixes in bold.

Code:
preparemsg @receive // "Player received the Pokemon!" text
waitmsg
fanfare 0x13E
waitfanfare

Again, I haven't used PokeScript in ages so I don't know if it has support for those commands. If it doesn't, then for you there may never be a more compelling moment to switch to XSE or PKSV. :)
If I remember right, Pokescript uses the "jingle" command instead of fanfare, and if I remember right, it needs one or a few nop commands after it.
I agree with styles; changing to XSE or PKSV is really in your best interest.

Years
  • Seen Dec 6, 2023
Alright, this is not exactly a script question, but what's the difference between XSE and Pokescript? which one should i use?

Hiche

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 16, 2010
Alright, this is not exactly a script question, but what's the difference between XSE and Pokescript? which one should i use?

I'm not sure how to answer this, seeing as I like both and haven't been scripting for a long, long time, but whatever.

PokeScript is a scripting language developed by [Who?], which, if you skimmed over it, has a pretty rough, RAW syntax. It's actually older than XSE, and hackers before used it more often. It is not the fastest when it comes to compiling scripts, and Ithink it cannot decompile any, as well. Its constructs are mostly '#raw' forms, so you will find it hard to learn all of the commands without always looking up what it means, what it does.

XSE is also a scripting language written by Hackmew, one of my favorite hackers. It's more user-friendly. It has a clear, understandable syntax and it was neatly coded. It can compile scripts very fast and efficiently. The '#raw' commands in PokeScript are represented by easy-to-use names in XSE.

So, if it were to me now, XSE is your choice as a novice hacker. I hope this helps in any way, and others, feel free to correct me or add something if you want.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
I'm not sure how to answer this, seeing as I like both and haven't been scripting for a long, long time, but whatever.

PokeScript is a scripting language developed by [Who?], which, if you skimmed over it, has a pretty rough, RAW syntax. It's actually older than XSE, and hackers before used it more often. It is not the fastest when it comes to compiling scripts, and Ithink it cannot decompile any, as well. Its constructs are mostly '#raw' forms, so you will find it hard to learn all of the commands without always looking up what it means, what it does.

XSE is also a scripting language written by Hackmew, one of my favorite hackers. It's more user-friendly. It has a clear, understandable syntax and it was neatly coded. It can compile scripts very fast and efficiently. The '#raw' commands in PokeScript are represented by easy-to-use names in XSE.

So, if it were to me now, XSE is your choice as a novice hacker. I hope this helps in any way, and others, feel free to correct me or add something if you want.
Agree with that completely =)
I'd add that Pokescript is buggy and XSE is more modern, it's being updated etc...
So in other words use XSE ;)

Years
  • Seen Mar 2, 2015
Hide Sprite

Ok, I think I've got an simple question.
I have got the following script:
(simplified)

Spoiler:

But the sprite that needs to be hidden only is hidden when you step on the 'script' tile.
How can I make it so, that the sprite stays hidden?

jota_rdk

Spanish hacker [Javi4315]
Years
Ok, I think I've got an simple question.
I have got the following script:
(simplified)

Spoiler:

But the sprite that needs to be hidden only is hidden when you step on the 'script' tile.
How can I make it so, that the sprite stays hidden?

Is very easy, you must to put the activated flag on people id (in advance map). In this case, you must to put the flag number 502 (on people id).

Greetings!

Years
  • Seen Mar 29, 2011
Hello, everyone! I have a slight problem. The first May script isn't working(I posted that earlier but no one responded. Oh well.), and so I made a second script to give the beta testers Running shoes and Pokedex. However, the script isn't even activating. I can click on the person I gave the script to, but he doesn't do anything. Can you help?

(And oh yes, I'm using PSKV.)

Spoiler:

Alignment

Revered with the stars
Years
  • Seen Dec 25, 2016
Hello, everyone! I have a slight problem. The first May script isn't working(I posted that earlier but no one responded. Oh well.), and so I made a second script to give the beta testers Running shoes and Pokedex. However, the script isn't even activating. I can click on the person I gave the script to, but he doesn't do anything. Can you help?

(And oh yes, I'm using PSKV.)

Spoiler:

There are a few things wrong with your script, ok more than a few :P
It should look something like this:
Spoiler:

Remember to always put a space after the '=' when you're writing out the text. Also, when using '\p','\n','\l' ect. you CAN'T use capitals like '\P'.

I honestly haven't tested this out but it should work ;D
If you have any questions as to how this works out feel free to VM\PM me :)

EDIT: I'd be willing to check out that 'May' script for you if you want as well.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 29, 2011
Wow. Thank you!

And yes, I have absolutely no experience with scripting. Which is why I use PKSV instead of XSE. PKSV has a generator.

Again, thank you! I'd normally be more than glad to let you help with May's incredibly glitchy script, but right now my game is basically my test of what I can do as a hacker. So, right now I don't need it. But I appreciate you asking.

EDIT: Hm... The script now works, but the pokedex and running shoes don't appear. Is there anything else I'm doing wrong?

Last edited:

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
Yeah, you're pretty much right, exept in Pokescript, you change the "waitmsg" to "boxset 4", and the "preparemsg @recieve" to simply
"message $recieve".

Err, no. You clearly have no idea what those commands do. What makes you think that 'waitmsg', a command with no parameters, is equivalent to 'callstd', a command that does have a parameter? And "message" is just a more user friendly name given to the 'loadpointer' command. I have a feeling that I'm going to get tired of saying this but: please don't answer questions that you don't know the answer to.

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
Err, no. You clearly have no idea what those commands do. What makes you think that 'waitmsg', a command with no parameters, is equivalent to 'callstd', a command that does have a parameter? And "message" is just a more user friendly name given to the 'loadpointer' command. I have a feeling that I'm going to get tired of saying this but: please don't answer questions that you don't know the answer to.
I think i'm confused. :/
this is how I script in Pokescript, and it works perfectly:
Code:
#org $start
lock
faceplayer
fanfare 0x13E
message $talk
$talk 1 = \v\h01 recieved BULBASAUR!
boxset 4
waitfanfare
release
end
At least, that's how I get the fanfare playing. But I don't use XSE, I've probably mixed up the commands. I apoligise if i'm wrong. :/
Also, about "message", it is easier for a newbie at scripting to write/remember.

Last edited:

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
Also, about "message", it is easier for a newbie at scripting to write/remember.

I agree with you there. However, that's not what I was upset about. You were claiming that 'preparemsg' and 'message' (or 'loadpointer') were the same command when, in reality, they are quite different. 'loadpointer' takes a string and stores it in the RAM. 'preparemsg' takes that string, displays a textbox, and then prints out the text.

The script excerpt that I posted was a very specific piece of code. In my view, emulating Game Freak's style in scripts is one of the ultimate goals and I do that primarily by borrowing heavily from preexisting scripts. That excerpt is different from your code because it displays the text, waits for all of the text to be printed (hence 'waitmsg') and then plays the fanfare. Yours will play the fanfare as the text is printing. You may be technically correct in saying that "it works perfectly" but MechaTrainer's question seemed (to me, at least) to call for my method.

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
I agree with you there. However, that's not what I was upset about. You were claiming that 'preparemsg' and 'message' (or 'loadpointer') were the same command when, in reality, they are quite different. 'loadpointer' takes a string and stores it in the RAM. 'preparemsg' takes that string, displays a textbox, and then prints out the text.

The script excerpt that I posted was a very specific piece of code. In my view, emulating Game Freak's style in scripts is one of the ultimate goals and I do that primarily by borrowing heavily from preexisting scripts. That excerpt is different from your code because it displays the text, waits for all of the text to be printed (hence 'waitmsg') and then plays the fanfare. Yours will play the fanfare as the text is printing. You may be technically correct in saying that "it works perfectly" but MechaTrainer's question seemed (to me, at least) to call for my method.
I know that, it's just that I don't often use XSE (almost never, actually), I often get mixed up with commands. Anyways, I'm sorry for all the confusion. D: It's just that I usually write my scripts like that, it doesn't make much of a difference to me. Once again, sorry. D:

5qwerty

[b][font="open sans"]WHOLLY MOLEY[/font][/b]
Years
  • Seen Mar 6, 2024
The only thing that doesn't work is the playsong. It doesn't play the sappy song. Everything else works out smoothly. Someone please me what's going on. The script seems stupid with the Pallet Town music, so I want to change it.

BTW, it is a level script. This is just the script before I do the compiling and whatnot to turn it into a level script. (The level script works fine, music just won't play. EVEN THE FADEDEFAULT WORKS)
Spoiler:

jota_rdk

Spanish hacker [Javi4315]
Years
The only thing that doesn't work is the playsong. It doesn't play the sappy song. Everything else works out smoothly. Someone please me what's going on. The script seems stupid with the Pallet Town music, so I want to change it.

BTW, it is a level script. This is just the script before I do the compiling and whatnot to turn it into a level script. (The level script works fine, music just won't play. EVEN THE FADEDEFAULT WORKS)
Spoiler:

mm, try it this:

playsong 0x272 0x1
nop1

And another thing, the song number must be in hexadecimal.

Greetings!

5qwerty

[b][font="open sans"]WHOLLY MOLEY[/font][/b]
Years
  • Seen Mar 6, 2024
Oh crap, I forgot about Hex.
Thank you, I will try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back