• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Discontinued: Pokémon: Fat Kid [Beta 1.2.4 (21JUL18)]

Le pug

Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
Years
Alright, time for some updates! First off, the mapping for Fat Kid beta 1 is almost finished! Three more interiors and it's on to scripting!

A big thing I'd like to talk about (that's what she said): We are introducing a new type into the game. It'll be called ............................. Tech type! Based off technology-associated pokemon. Below you will see the list of changes of pokemon who will now have the Tech type:

Porygon Normal ---> Tech
Porygon (evos) Normal ---> Tech
Rotom Electric / Ghost ---> Ghost / Tech
Rotom Wash Electric / Water ---> Water / Tech
Voltorb Electric ---> Electric / Tech
Electrode Electric ---> Electric / Tech
Koffing Poison ---> Poison / Tech
Weezing Poison ---> Poison / Tech
Grimer Poison ---> Poison / Tech
Muk Poison ---> Poison / Tech
Trubbish Poison ---> Poison / Tech
Garbodor Poison ---> Poison / Tech
Elgyem Psychic ---> Psychic / Tech
Beheeyem Psychic ---> Psychic / Tech
Solosis Psychic ---> Psychic / Tech
Duosion Psychic ---> Psychic / Tech
Reuniclus Psychic ---> Psychic / Tech
Klink Steel ---> Steel / Tech
Klang Steel ---> Steel / Tech
Klinklang Steel ---> Steel / Tech
Genesect Bug / Steel ---> Bug / Tech
Deoxys Psychic ---> Psychic / Tech
Ditto Normal ---> Tech
Regirock Rock ---> Rock / Tech
Regice Ice ---> Ice / Tech
Registeel Steel ---> Steel / Tech
Castform Normal ---> Tech
Mew Z ---> Psychic / Tech
((TBA +1) ---> Tech / Ghost or Tech / Dark

Tech type defense table:
Electric = 0x
Fighting = 0.5x
Steel = 0.5x
Bug = 0.5x
Dark = 0.5x
Normal = 1x
Flying = 1x
Poison = 1x
Ground = 1x
Ghost = 1x
Psychic = 1x
Grass = 1x
Dragon = 1x
Fairy = 1x
Ice = 2x
Fire = 2x
Rock = 2x
Water = 2x
Tech = 2x

Tech type attack table:
Rock = 0x
Electric = 0.5x
Fire = 0.5x
Water = 0.5x
Ground = 1x
Fighting = 1x
Steel = 1x
Normal = 1x
Flying = 1x
Poison = 1x
Psychic = 1x
Grass = 1x
Dragon = 1x
Fairy = 1x
Ice = 1x
Ghost = 2x
Bug = 2x
Dark = 2x
Tech = 2x

As for moves, we are still working on it. The only two pre-existing moves that will be type changed are Technoblast and Tri attack.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For maps, I bring you Sunny Falls:
Spoiler:

In West Glockdale (previous listed), inside the two larger buildings:
Spoiler:

In West Glockdale, inside the 4 smaller buildings:
Spoiler:

In Sunny Falls, inside the 7 buildings:
Spoiler:

Also finished inside Shady Shag's van and inside a transitional route building, day care / egg store, the newest Pokecenter, inside the old lady shop on Route 4. All that is left is the two gym interiors and the inside of Prof. Bill's Lab.

Thanks to everyone who has helped keep this hack alive with your support.
Thanks to Danny, Bela, and DarkZeta for the determination of the Tech type and which Pokemon gets the assignment.

More updates to come! The gyms I will not be posting, but I'll post when all maps are done and ready for scripting. (Gyms won't be posted because some amazing abnormal events will be occuring in them!)

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

Le pug

Years
I want to take a second and get out of updates for Fat Kid and talk a little OOC for a minute:

This is an Emerald hack.
This is a community hack. Everyone can contribute.

Everyone can contribute. What exactly does that entail?
A: Anyone reading this post or this thread can contribute. People think this is solely things like creating maps, scripting scripts, creating images, asm, etc. Well no, that's wrong. Here is a list of things anyone here can do:
  • Ideas for events
  • Ideas for mini-games
  • OW dialogue including trainerbattle quotes and what Fat Kid says
  • Jokes and scenes involving jokes (such as what Fat Kid might say or what someone else is doing / saying)
  • Feedback on literally anything. City names, list of wild pokemon for routes, map reviews, etc
  • Ideas for features (i.e. do we implement Fat Kid running? If so, how'd you do it?)

Then you can also contribute to the more advanced list if you wanted:
  • Adding new music tracks / sounds / Pokecries
  • Tiles for maps
  • You can even ask for a copy of the Alpha and build maps using the tiles I use and showcase maps you think should be added
  • Scripts of events or OW interactions or trainerbattles you think would make the hack more funny
  • ASM routines you think may be beneficial to Fat Kid
  • OWs you think would look great for the game / trainer sprites / pokemon sprites
  • Features that should be implemented such as creating the titlescreen, editing palettes of things, updating images, etc

I mean the lists go on. Anything you can think of, if you want to contribute, don't hesitate. I'm always listening. If you want to talk about it in private rather than on the thread, you can always PM or VM me or talk to me on the IRC chat listed on the front post.

On that note, I know not that many people will really see this. It seems that this hack isn't getting as much attention as it deserves, probably because people look at the name and don't bother checking it out. For those that are weary though, as you can tell by the features and the maps I've listed over the past few pages, the hack is being taken very seriously and isn't faultering to extremely silly stuff. The humor is more realistic than I don't know ... Fat Kid riding a 100 foot Dragonite into a Twinkie factory to save his mistress from being turned into a twinkie. I think the beta will bring in more as people play and realize it's actually a great game in the making but that's only if people look past judging the book by it's cover. Fat Kid is Fat Kid. He doesn't tell people his name. People don't bother asking for his name. They don't even call him Fat Kid or make fun of his weight often. This is meant to parody the main games but also take a life of it's own. You actually play as a new trainer who is going through a region of new maps and new events and new people and a new storyline that is unique in many ways.

tl;dr if you want to help out fat kid, you can help out in any way you'd like. just say what you want to help with

Reject217

Great Pokémon Reject
Years
I want to take a second and get out of updates for Fat Kid and talk a little OOC for a minute:

This is an Emerald hack.
This is a community hack. Everyone can contribute.

Everyone can contribute. What exactly does that entail?
A: Anyone reading this post or this thread can contribute. People think this is solely things like creating maps, scripting scripts, creating images, asm, etc. Well no, that's wrong. Here is a list of things anyone here can do:
  • Ideas for events
  • Ideas for mini-games
  • OW dialogue including trainerbattle quotes and what Fat Kid says
  • Jokes and scenes involving jokes (such as what Fat Kid might say or what someone else is doing / saying)
  • Feedback on literally anything. City names, list of wild pokemon for routes, map reviews, etc
  • Ideas for features (i.e. do we implement Fat Kid running? If so, how'd you do it?)

Then you can also contribute to the more advanced list if you wanted:
  • Adding new music tracks / sounds / Pokecries
  • Tiles for maps
  • You can even ask for a copy of the Alpha and build maps using the tiles I use and showcase maps you think should be added
  • Scripts of events or OW interactions or trainerbattles you think would make the hack more funny
  • ASM routines you think may be beneficial to Fat Kid
  • OWs you think would look great for the game / trainer sprites / pokemon sprites
  • Features that should be implemented such as creating the titlescreen, editing palettes of things, updating images, etc

I mean the lists go on. Anything you can think of, if you want to contribute, don't hesitate. I'm always listening. If you want to talk about it in private rather than on the thread, you can always PM or VM me or talk to me on the IRC chat listed on the front post.

On that note, I know not that many people will really see this. It seems that this hack isn't getting as much attention as it deserves, probably because people look at the name and don't bother checking it out. For those that are weary though, as you can tell by the features and the maps I've listed over the past few pages, the hack is being taken very seriously and isn't faultering to extremely silly stuff. The humor is more realistic than I don't know ... Fat Kid riding a 100 foot Dragonite into a Twinkie factory to save his mistress from being turned into a twinkie. I think the beta will bring in more as people play and realize it's actually a great game in the making but that's only if people look past judging the book by it's cover. Fat Kid is Fat Kid. He doesn't tell people his name. People don't bother asking for his name. They don't even call him Fat Kid or make fun of his weight often. This is meant to parody the main games but also take a life of it's own. You actually play as a new trainer who is going through a region of new maps and new events and new people and a new storyline that is unique in many ways.

tl;dr if you want to help out fat kid, you can help out in any way you'd like. just say what you want to help with

Time to reread the first post and see what I can come up with. Hopefully I churn something out...

FrozenInfernoZX

What is out there?
Years
Very creative. I like the idea behind this hack with that "technology" guy lol. And the Tech type is a pretty neat idea. Fits hand in hand. Team Hippy hahaha. I like comedy in hacks.

C me

Creator of Pokemon League Of Legends
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Apr 9, 2021
If you have him running, make it so that he can only run a certain number of steps before getting 'tired' then you have to walk a certain number of steps to 'replenish energy' before he can run again.

Sceptile90

The Master of YamiNoGames
Years
Can the Fat Kid jiggle when he runs? Is there any way to implement a "stamina" system so that he can only run for a few seconds at a time?

Le pug

Years
If you have him running, make it so that he can only run a certain number of steps before getting 'tired' then you have to walk a certain number of steps to 'replenish energy' before he can run again.

Can the Fat Kid jiggle when he runs? Is there any way to implement a "stamina" system so that he can only run for a few seconds at a time?

Well we have been talking and Fat Kid not running has been a feature since the beginning of the hack so we are going to stick with it. But the Fat Kid will get a scooter soon enough into the game. The reasoning being is because we really want the player to at least feel the pain of Fat Kid for awhile before he is able to move fast with his scooter. Ya'know, he's walking around constantly.. he's going to get tired. There were ideas about doing the stamina system but it seems like that hasn't really hit big with a lot of people so. Thanks for the contribution though, keep them comin'!

Sceptile90

The Master of YamiNoGames
Years
Well we have been talking and Fat Kid not running has been a feature since the beginning of the hack so we are going to stick with it. But the Fat Kid will get a scooter soon enough into the game. The reasoning being is because we really want the player to at least feel the pain of Fat Kid for awhile before he is able to move fast with his scooter. Ya'know, he's walking around constantly.. he's going to get tired. There were ideas about doing the stamina system but it seems like that hasn't really hit big with a lot of people so. Thanks for the contribution though, keep them comin'!

Ah, a shame, but makes sense.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 30, 2018
This is honestly the best idea for a hack. There is so much you can do with the story. I'm so glad this is going to be a thing.

Can't wait.

Years
May I have a copy of the alpha? I'm still quite limited in what I can do, but I want to be able to help with this project, even if it's only through the tiniest of changes (grammar errors within scripts, incorrect movement permissions and such)

I'll be sure to tell you guys of any bugs that I come across. Just PM me if I get the green light. Thanks! :)

Reactions: Sun

lamePotato

DeviantArt - SimplyPixelizing
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Apr 9, 2016
If I could get my hands in an alpha, I'd love to make some maps, and I have a few, imo, good ideas that will really bring our hack into some light, and bring it a broader audience. PM me if you need help with anything. I'm better at coming up with things than implementing XD but I would consider myself pretty good at mapping.

PS-I legit made this account post this, thus why there's no other stuff on my profile.

Le pug

Years
If I could get my hands in an alpha, I'd love to make some maps, and I have a few, imo, good ideas that will really bring our hack into some light, and bring it a broader audience. PM me if you need help with anything. I'm better at coming up with things than implementing XD but I would consider myself pretty good at mapping.

PS-I legit made this account post this, thus why there's no other stuff on my profile.

Well feel free to share your ideas here or via a PM. I'll toss you an alpha, let me see some of your maps with the tiles :P Any routes are welcomed.

CaptainK

Goomy Tamer
Years
I've been following this ROM at a distance from the start, and I feel I should start to chip in so I've got a couple ideas:

1. I think Fat Kid should have a rival that judges him about his weight, thinks he's better than him, and is basically a jerk to him throughout the story, and in the end Fat Kid finally proves that he is just as good as said rival.
(If you decide to go with this idea let me know, I would love to make a character sprite for him!)

2. I think it would be funny if at some point in the game Fat Kid needs to get into a building of some sort but is to fat to fit into the door, so later on needs to make the entrance bigger (with explosives or something) to progress through the story.

That's all I've got for the time being but more ideas are sure to come as I think of them!

Last edited:

Le pug

Years
I've been following this ROM at a distance from the start, and I feel I should start to chip in so I've got a couple ideas:

1. I think Fat Kid should have a rival that judges him about his weight, thinks he's better than him, and is basically a jerk to him throughout the story, and in the end Fat Kid finally proves that he is just as good as said rival.
(If you decide to go with this idea let me know, I would love to make a character sprite for him!)

2. I think it would be funny if at some point in the game Fat Kid needs to get into a building of some sort but is to fat to fit into the door, so later on needs to make the entrance bigger (with explosives or something) to progress through the story.

That's all I've got for the time being but more ideas are sure to come as I think of them!

Well we have decided that Carl from the intro sequence will be the rival of Fat Kid.
In the intro sequence you will see Carl being a brat and Fat Kid decides to buyout the entire apple pie store so they are sold out and this will eventually come back to haunt Fat Kid when Carl decides to constantly pester Fat Kid throughout the game.
Not only that, you'll have an annoying Lickitung as a rival pokemon. The donut shop in the region is closed due to power outage and Fat Kid goes in to see one donut is left and then a Lickitung comes out of nowhere and steals it and pretty much Fat Kid keeps an eye out throughout the game to try and get the donut (will he get it? I wonder ... )

Also, that's a great idea lol. I've heard that from someone else about him not being able to go through the door and I think that's a good idea to have him struggle to get in, I'll try to incorporate that. Good ideas, thanks!

~~~~~~~~~~~

On updates, Fanny Barks which is the second town is currently being scripted and everything is going good! It's weird because a lot of the OWs have scripts between 100-200 lines each o.0 but the events are great, so they're worth the writing!

Also DraconianWing is doing an awesome job at creating the titlescreen for us so soon Fat Kid will have that too!

CaptainK

Goomy Tamer
Years
Well we have decided that Carl from the intro sequence will be the rival of Fat Kid.
In the intro sequence you will see Carl being a brat and Fat Kid decides to buyout the entire apple pie store so they are sold out and this will eventually come back to haunt Fat Kid when Carl decides to constantly pester Fat Kid throughout the game.
Not only that, you'll have an annoying Lickitung as a rival pokemon. The donut shop in the region is closed due to power outage and Fat Kid goes in to see one donut is left and then a Lickitung comes out of nowhere and steals it and pretty much Fat Kid keeps an eye out throughout the game to try and get the donut (will he get it? I wonder ... )

Also, that's a great idea lol. I've heard that from someone else about him not being able to go through the door and I think that's a good idea to have him struggle to get in, I'll try to incorporate that. Good ideas, thanks!

Okay, I like that idea. I would still be open to making any custom character/overworld sprites if you need any!

Another possible idea I thought of would be for Fat Kid to be unable to fly on pokemon because of how heavy he is, so he has to use train stations at each town. Idk if that would work, but it just seems like it would be pretty funny.

Le pug

Years
Quick update showing the new titlescreen for Fat Kid ...

RoL81l6.png

Major thanks to DraconianWing who helped in creating the tileset image for it! Looks great and is one step closer to a beta release! :]

Scripting is going well, finishing up the first sidequest of the game now ... gotta say these 100-300 lines per script are killin' me lol but it's worth it in the end!

Back