• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Event] The PokeCommunity Game-Along IV: A New Gaming

Years
The PokeCommunity Game-Along IV: A New Gaming

Welcome back to the PokeCommunity Game-Along for our fourth edition with a new thread and a new entry into a series of threads with increasingly less funny meme titles!

For the uninitiated, these are pretty simple! On the first day of every month, I'll be posting a theme of some sort in this thread. These themes can be as specific as a genre of game or even a singular aspect of gameplay, or as vague as just a general vibe we're shooting for. Really, it could be just about anything. Your task is to play and beat a game (meaning you must finish the main story mode/see the end credits) that fits whatever the given theme is by the end of the month.

For example, if the theme for the month was Soulslikes, you could play anything from Dark Souls, to Elden Ring to Fallen Order. If the theme were to be JRPGs like we closed last year on, you could play anything in that genre (Final Fantasy, the Tales Franchise etc etc). You can play any length of game, it can be a replay or a game you've never played or it can even be a game you are already playing. Whatever works for you. The only requirements are that it must fit the theme of the month and you must finish it by the end of the month.

To enter, all you have to do is respond in this thread with the game you have chosen and let us know here when you finish it. Of course, we all love to see each others updates too. For that, you could post short little snippets here but the best way to do it is to keep track of things in one of our gaming journal threads.

There is no obligation to participate in any of the months, although I encourage you to try for the bragging rights. You can join at any time during the year for whatever theme we are up to at the time. Gaming is meant to be fun after all and that's really the goal there. For hard quotas, you'll want the 2023 Gaming Challenge.

If you want to keep track of how things have been going, this post will be periodically updated with the current theme and participants.

If you have any questions or suggestions for monthly themes you'd like to see, feel free to post in here or DM me.

PARTICIPANTS STATS

Gimmepie
Spoiler:

Devalue
Spoiler:

Janp
Spoiler:

Duck
Spoiler:

Ullion
Spoiler:

Pig
Spoiler:

WizardofOdd
Spoiler:

boyblunder
Spoiler:

Panda280
Spoiler:

Arcaneum
Spoiler:

Cherrim
Spoiler:

acatfrommars
Spoiler:

Alex_Among_Foxes
Spoiler:

Bay
Spoiler:

THEMES

January - Free Choice
February - Nostalgia
March - Gone Fishing
April - Not Quite Dead
May - Forks in the Road
June - Surrender Yourself
July - The Sharp End
August - Short and Sweet

Last edited:
Years
January - Free Choice

As always, we kick of the New Year with an Old Theme. We're all still getting out of the holiday haze and we've all gotten new games as gifts or because we spent too much money on the Steam Summer sale and now have a bulging backlog to do something about (yes, you. You know what you did).

It's Free Choice for January. Play whatever the hell you like as we ease ourselves in to whatever madness these themes may yet spawn.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen today
Wishes to participate once again.

Selects Persona 5 Royal for this month. Started it near the end of last month. Still has a fair ways to go. (Just finished Palace #2.)

Never played a Persona game before. Watched Persona 3 and 4, however. Cultivated interest in a future game. Ported 5 to Switch, surprisingly.

Biggest crime so far (no pun intended): Plays "Life Will Change" for too little time. Heard it before playing the game. Sounds even better in-game.

Years
I think I'll make The Last Day of June my choice for today. I played like 30 minutes of it years ago but it crashed and I kind of just never went back. This time I shall play to completion.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 23, 2023
Let's go with Potion Craft that I bought a few days ago but have only played like, an hour so far

Ullion

[color=#00cc99][i]Simic Synthesis[/i][/color]
Years
Firstly, Happy New Years all! :D

I will be starting this year off with Against the Storm. Admittedly, I have no idea if there is an "end" for the game yet or not as it is in Early Access. However, I have been playing a decent amount of it already and am probably going to poor even more in so I'll slot it in for this month's game. :)

Pig

Angry ecologist
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jul 16, 2023
Put me down for Persona 5 Strikers this month (January).

I'm not over P5R yet but I also don't want to play it again just yet after 100%ing the steam achievements. I'll save 100%ing it again on my completion Steam for another month.

WizardOfOdd

Kirbmeister
Years
I'll throw in my hat for this one. I'm going for Digimon World Re:Digitize Decode.

It's a game I've played for more than thrice already, yet I never finished it for one or two reasons.

boyblunder

[span=“background:#dc4b3 8 url('https://i.imgur.co
Years
what better than to start off 2023 with a cozy game? i'd like to participate, and i'm finally ready to play stardew valley.

Years
what better than to start off 2023 with a cozy game? i'd like to participate, and i'm finally ready to play stardew valley.

Since Stardew Valley has no true end, it makes this a bit tricky. We'll say that for all intents and purposes, you finish the challenge when you get the statue from the ghost.

boyblunder

[span=“background:#dc4b3 8 url('https://i.imgur.co
Years
Since Stardew Valley has no true end, it makes this a bit tricky. We'll say that for all intents and purposes, you finish the challenge when you get the statue from the ghost.

sounds good! that's how little i know about this game, i didn't even know there was a statue/ghost (or no end)!

Panda280

Panda280
Years
Can I do xenoblade chronicles 3? I finished it, but I have no motivations to complete new game plus. There's definately some free will theme in this game.

Years
Can I do xenoblade chronicles 3? I finished it, but I have no motivations to complete new game plus. There's definately some free will theme in this game.

I am unsure what you mean. If you mean can you count your new game plus run, then yes. If you mean can you count a game you finished before joining the challenge, no.

Years
OK time to commit to this challenge...

...by of course picking a game that's going to sap up a lot of my time! I'm going to pick Disgaea 2 for this one, but with the twist of picking 5 classes only to use. Disgaea can technically go on infinitely, but there is a story mode with an ending so I'll aim for that.

Ullion

[color=#00cc99][i]Simic Synthesis[/i][/color]
Years
So I looked up online if anyone knew if there was a proper story-based ending for Against the Storm yet, and it turns out there is not. That being said there is some meta progression that has a definitive end at the moment, so I could always aim for that. If that option is less preferred, I can always go with a different game since this month's challenge is open-ended? :)

Years
So I looked up online if anyone knew if there was a proper story-based ending for Against the Storm yet, and it turns out there is not. That being said there is some meta progression that has a definitive end at the moment, so I could always aim for that. If that option is less preferred, I can always go with a different game since this month's challenge is open-ended? :)

If the game has something with a definitive end, I'm willing to accept it.

Back