• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Talk] This sucks vs I suck at this

Years
What would you say is your least favourite aspect of creating your chosen art form? What about the part you're worst at? Is there a correlation?

For me there's not as much overlap as I'd think. The thing I'm worst at is lining (which is generally a moot point admittedly since most of my art is lineless), but the part I find most tedious is shading..

Are you in a similar boat or do you actually make sense?

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
I love sketching, drawing details, linework, and ink. But coloring is the bane of my existence. I'm so awful at it and I swear it has a vendetta against me. Color is by far my weakest trait.

Years
I love sketching, drawing details, linework, and ink. But coloring is the bane of my existence. I'm so awful at it and I swear it has a vendetta against me. Color is by far my weakest trait.

That's interesting, I find colouring to be the easiest part. It's kind of like a relaxation session after the hard work of doing things like sketching and lining and before the impending suffering to be brought on by shading.

Years
love shading and sketching
hate lining and coloring

lining is the worst part of everything tbh
coloring's the boring part until you manage to do the shades

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
A couple things for both.

Imagine sitting there with a piece of paper that is empty and no matter how hard you try you can't come up with anything. Or this: you're randomly walking around somewhere in town and suddenly you get an idea to draw something. But you can't get to it, because you still need to get home first which will take a while.

As for something I'd like to be better: composition of sceneries. One thing I find particularly fascinating is creating a picture that is telling a story. You know, one that shows a final state of a situation and that has all around a lot of details that allow the viewer that is traversing this scenery to piece together what has occurred to create this state.
However, whenever I try drawing such a picture I end up with a lot of empty space that I don't know how to fill.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Seliph brings up a good point. One thing I don't struggle with is conjuring an image in my head and putting it on paper. I've heard many artists claim that their drawn designs just doesn't match what they had in mind. Perhaps it's my over vivid imagination? I do like asking for ideas so I can doodle things for other people though.

Another thing I struggle with is keeping consistent and uniform lighting / shading throughout a piece. Even if I'm just sketching I have a bad habit of getting careless and falling back on some amateur omni-directional lighting.

I also can't finish drawings very often. Most of my work remains in the sketch phase and seldom has complete cohesion. Legs don't end at feet, bodies are positioned poorly on the paper, and things are never truly "complete" even if I do manage to shade, ink, and color.

All these things (and more) I'm trying to fix but, yeah, I definitely allow myself to lapse into poor practices. ._.

Last edited:
Years
I have an affinity for colouring and shading, a sentiment utterly contrary to the posts I've read, and it's the only thing I'm remotely good at. Colouring especially. I take an Oda Eiichiro quality to my work, and love to do streaky lines for the shading when no colour is involved. Pencils, every time. Wonderful things.

I'm worst at symmetry and good proportioning, really. One eyeball is always dangling somewhere near the mouth, and the pupil is looking at the sky even though the iris is straight ahead and good lord! Don't even get me started on bodies.

I'm also horrible at putting down what's in my mind. An impostor always greets me on the A4 - a distorted, malign figure with stringy hair and a nose that looks decidedly broken.

Lining is always entertaining. Harrowing, sure, but what of it? The whole process is practically torture.

Guest123_x1

My least favorite part of art is coming up with an idea that I think would be good enough for people to enjoy. When doing art, my worst part of completing a piece (especially character art) is cel shading (since I really like drawing in anime/manga style), and proportioning, though I have tried to put some effort into improving on the latter.

Even when I do complete a character art piece, I often find issues with that completed work (without people ever pointing them out), so I may go back and edit that piece to make the necessary corrections.

Years
Ahhh, so many people struggling with composition. I suck at this too and i still do but less this time due to thumbnailing.

I think people say its not what they imagined bc the level of skill vs imagination dont quite match up. That said, practice sadly is the only way.

Years
Least favorite would definitely be coming up with a composition I'm actually happy with. I've had plenty of times where I start something, and then stop because suddenly I'm like "nah, I don't like that as much as I thought I did."

And then while I wouldn't say I hate doing lineart, I have the bad habit of being impatient with it and rushing it at times because I want to get to the coloring and shading part right now. :P

Back