gimmepie

Age 24
Male
Australia
Seen 38 Minutes Ago
Posted 6 Hours Ago
21,999 posts
8.3 Years
I have now made it to the end of the Water Crystal segment of FFV. I'm enjoying the game so far, but as of yet I'm not finding it as compelling as other FF instalments. That being said, while a lot of the character choices have been predictable and their personalities are rather bland so far - outside of Faris - there's still a lot of the game left for that to be remedied and FF games are often a slow burn for that sort of thing I'm learning. I am very curious as to the overarching plot though, I'm clueless about that one.

As per the rules of FourJobFiesta (for a standard run of the challenge) I'm currently restricted to the Thief and Red Mage jobs. This is... not ideal. It could also have been a lot worse though, at least I have both some fire power and healing now, albeit to a more limited extent for both than if I had speciality mages.

Oh this is cool! Great work <3 (your CSS is fine btw lmao)

I'll go ahead and in light of fourjobfiesta, put FFV down as mine and I'll start getting onto that today hopefully (eek)
Curious to see how your run goes since you're also doing fjf.

Corviknight

FULL ARMS

Age 29
Male
Corneria
Seen 20 Hours Ago
Posted 3 Days Ago
6,488 posts
5.6 Years
Curious to see how your run goes since you're also doing fjf.
I just started this evening and I'm at my second job! I've had Monk and Red Mage so far, so thankfully I've got a nice and balanced party. Just currently grinding a bit for optional enemies etc.
Too much is as bad as too little.
If you try to see everything...
...there is
too much.

gimmepie

Age 24
Male
Australia
Seen 38 Minutes Ago
Posted 6 Hours Ago
21,999 posts
8.3 Years
I just started this evening and I'm at my second job! I've had Monk and Red Mage so far, so thankfully I've got a nice and balanced party. Just currently grinding a bit for optional enemies etc.
Seems like a solid combo. I picked up Bard for my third job. So I'll need to find that shard since it's not one of the ones you just get automatically. I'm rather lacking in a particularly heavy hitter since it sounds like Bard is primarily a support class, so I'm hoping when I eventually get to the Earth Crystal it gives me something with some more power to it.

Corviknight

FULL ARMS

Age 29
Male
Corneria
Seen 20 Hours Ago
Posted 3 Days Ago
6,488 posts
5.6 Years
So it turns out that Beastmaster and Red Mage between them just break most of the game! Been an absolute breeze so far on FFV, I've managed to get to the Earth Crystal, and therefore Galuf's world now, with basically zero hitches (I say basically because PSYDUCK I FORGOT THAT THE CANNONS DO FIXED DAMAGE SO I WASTED SO MANY ITEMS ON THEM AND IT MADE THE SOUL CANNON HARD), but very much on track to complete this I reckon over the next few days!

Party as it stands: Red Mage, Monk, Beastmaster and Dancer (yes I did manage to get the Ribbon so the Dancer isn't completely useless)
Too much is as bad as too little.
If you try to see everything...
...there is
too much.

gimmepie

Age 24
Male
Australia
Seen 38 Minutes Ago
Posted 6 Hours Ago
21,999 posts
8.3 Years
So it turns out that Beastmaster and Red Mage between them just break most of the game! Been an absolute breeze so far on FFV, I've managed to get to the Earth Crystal, and therefore Galuf's world now, with basically zero hitches (I say basically because PSYDUCK I FORGOT THAT THE CANNONS DO FIXED DAMAGE SO I WASTED SO MANY ITEMS ON THEM AND IT MADE THE SOUL CANNON HARD), but very much on track to complete this I reckon over the next few days!

Party as it stands: Red Mage, Monk, Beastmaster and Dancer (yes I did manage to get the Ribbon so the Dancer isn't completely useless)
Yes. Psyduck the Confusing/Sapping cannons. The flamethrowers were fine, but the other two were a nightmare and I'm amazed I didn't have to restart. Granted, I landed and healed at an inn after each wing and again after boss cannon. I ended up with Chemist from the Earth Crystal giving me a final line up of Thief, Red Mage, Bard and Chemist.

Dawn

Sapphire Star

Age 30
Seen 8 Hours Ago
Posted 5 Days Ago
11,968 posts
5.8 Years
OK, so now that I'm painfully re-acquainted with just how bad Fire Emblem is I'm changing my mind. I'm going to play Disgaea 1 Complete on the Switch. Which is a version of the game I have not played before! It has also been at least a decade since I last played this game, that is why I am choosing it over Disgaea 4 Complete+...for the moment. Chances are I will cave and pick up D4 instead, because it's the best game in the series in every conceivable way. But hey ho!

Only aiming to finish the main story for this month. I expect I'll still be playing this in September trying to collect all the equipment in the postgame, though.

Cherrim

Age 31
Female
Toronto
Seen 4 Hours Ago
Posted 2 Days Ago
32,487 posts
17.7 Years
I finished the Shadowbringers expansion last night! I still have the patches to go but I'm sure I'll finish them soon enough and they don't count the same way.

I almost had major trouble, too, since my graphics card died last week and it was looking like I'd either have to replace it, replace my whole computer, rebuy the game on ps4 and learn to play it there, or give up and rush through a different jrpg to finish in time. But my dad bought me a new gpu and all was well. ;_;

I enjoyed the story so much and I'm really excited to be caught up in FFXIV for the very first time soon! Just in time for the new patch, lol.

paired with erik destler.

gimmepie

Age 24
Male
Australia
Seen 38 Minutes Ago
Posted 6 Hours Ago
21,999 posts
8.3 Years
I have now defeated Exdeath and seemingly woke up back in the original world. Seems like it's not over yet and I'm now pretty certain I know what Exdeath was up to.

Janp

Age 23
Non-binary
Czech Republic
Seen 11 Hours Ago
Posted 3 Days Ago
4,054 posts
7.3 Years

THE POKECOMMUNITY GAME-ALONG - Tales of Berseria

FINAL PART

Oh got, it's finally over. This game took me much more longer that I thought it would. I started it on 3rd July and finished it only few moments ago. And it was great game.

The story grabbed me right from the start. The whole theme of emotions vs order was pretty well done. I kinda predicted that Artorius will be bad guy from the very first scene, but after learning about Innominat, I thought he would serve as "fake" bad guy. I thought I would kill him and then the game would reveal that he was actually the good guy all the time and was keeping Innominat, the real bad guy, in check. I'm so glad the game didn't go this route.

I enjoyed the world of Berseria. Velvet was cool character, Rokurou was cool character, Laphicet was cool character, Eizen was cool character, Magilou was cool chaarcter and Eleanor was a character. Just kidding, Eleanor was probably my favourite character for combat and I switched to her every chance I had. I'm a pirate person, so inclusion of pirates and travelling by a ship was nice addition for me. Some side characters and even villains were pretty nicely written, except of Bienfu. That was afwul character.

Combat was fine. Velvet's demon arm was pretty fun to use. My favourite character to control during combat was Eleanor. I also enjoyed Eizen and Rokurou and during the final hours I also finally tried Magilou and she was pretty solid character too. I've only tried Laphicet once and his gameplay style was too boring for me. But most of battles boiled down to me smashing one single button all the time and hope for a stun. Which got old pretty quickly. And aside from one wipe on the very first Dire Foe, 2 wipes on Oscar and Melchior, I didn't die once. Which is surprising, since I only ever used healing items starting the fight with Melchior and found out I can revive characters with Life Bottle only in battle against Artorius and Innominat.

Sadly, I had to rush through the game to be able to beat it in a month. July was a hectic month, so I only got few hours per week for gaming. I finished the game in about 39 hours while doing literally no side quest and only a handful of exploration. I did no backtracting for Katz treasure chests or even a regular treasure chest and actually started to skip them when I got to the finale part of the game. I wish I had more time to really dive in the world. I think I'll check more Tales games in the future.
Pokémon Challenges | Shiny Island

Cherrim

Age 31
Female
Toronto
Seen 4 Hours Ago
Posted 2 Days Ago
32,487 posts
17.7 Years
Sadly, I had to rush through the game to be able to beat it in a month. July was a hectic month, so I only got few hours per week for gaming. I finished the game in about 39 hours while doing literally no side quest and only a handful of exploration. I did no backtracting for Katz treasure chests or even a regular treasure chest and actually started to skip them when I got to the finale part of the game. I wish I had more time to really dive in the world. I think I'll check more Tales games in the future.
You should go back in and spend another 100 hours playing the card game. It's a form of hanafuda and ohhh my gosh is it ever addictive once you get the hang of it. I think that's where most of my game hours came from, hahaha.

gimmepie

Age 24
Male
Australia
Seen 38 Minutes Ago
Posted 6 Hours Ago
21,999 posts
8.3 Years
Technically a little late, but hopefully close enough to count since I've been trying to balance it with GT and like fifty other things. I beat Exdeath for real this time and completed FJF. Holy muk was that a hard boss with my combination of level and line up. Won with two chemists and two red mages by essentially bombing the living muk out of him with Dark Matter after spending like 10 minutes just buffing myself so I didn't die.

Dawn

Sapphire Star

Age 30
Seen 8 Hours Ago
Posted 5 Days Ago
11,968 posts
5.8 Years
^ As long as you post before I put the next month up, it counts.

I'm on something of a hiatus at the moment, but I'll do my best to answer queries about this month's theme if anyone has them.

August - The Pacifist

I hope you got all that violence out of your system last month, because this month the theme is to do no harm! To clarify in brief:

- You are not allowed to inflict any kind of physical damage, whether it results in death or not. So even if your opponent "faints" or is "sent to the Shadow Realm" rather than outright dying, that is not allowed.
- The above rule includes damage to the undead and inanimate. No loopholes here! Violence is violence.
- You are not allowed to inflict any kind of psychological damage that results in death. This one is a little more ambiguous (after all, defeat of any kind can be very psychologically damaging, and words can be misconstrued) so you've got a little leeway here: as long as you're not responsible for the death of the subject, it's fine to have a battle of words.
- If other people around you are committing violent acts that's fine, as long as you are not complicit in them. You can hardly be held responsible if someone goes ax-crazy and starts murdering people! We live in a violent world. As long as you, the player, don't participate in that, it's fine.
- Note that for visual novels, the character whose POV you are reading from is classified as you in this instance, so if they are committing violent acts, that counts.

Obi-Wan Kenobi said it best: there are alternatives to fighting. So, go find an alternative!

gimmepie

Age 24
Male
Australia
Seen 38 Minutes Ago
Posted 6 Hours Ago
21,999 posts
8.3 Years
I'll have to think a bit on this one. Either I can make my life miserable by doing a pacifist run in something or I can pick a game that specifically does not include violence.

Cherrim

Age 31
Female
Toronto
Seen 4 Hours Ago
Posted 2 Days Ago
32,487 posts
17.7 Years
Hmm, I think I'll finish up my replay of the first Ace Attorney (I'm on the last case so I'd feel disingenuous using it this month) and then replay the second one as my August game.

Dragon

lover of milotics

Age 27
Male
Viridian City
Seen 1 Hour Ago
Posted 13 Hours Ago
10,794 posts
6.9 Years
Would Danganronpa count?
If not, I could just do a Professor Layton game.

"We need to find... Our own inspiration.
Sometimes it's not easy.

Dawn

Sapphire Star

Age 30
Seen 8 Hours Ago
Posted 5 Days Ago
11,968 posts
5.8 Years
Would Danganronpa count?
If not, I could just do a Professor Layton game.
Gotta say no on this one, since you all vote who to punish - i.e. murder - at the end of each chapter. Sorry!

gimmepie

Age 24
Male
Australia
Seen 38 Minutes Ago
Posted 6 Hours Ago
21,999 posts
8.3 Years
Gotta say no on this one, since you all vote who to punish - i.e. murder - at the end of each chapter. Sorry!
I haven't played Journey yet, but there's no violence right? If so, put me down for Journey.

Janp

Age 23
Non-binary
Czech Republic
Seen 11 Hours Ago
Posted 3 Days Ago
4,054 posts
7.3 Years
My inicial plan was to play 7 Billions Humans. But then I found out that the workers there can die and you even have to kill them in few levels to finish it. So I think I'll go with Gone Home. Never played it before and it has been on my to-play list since I found out my former friend hates this game because it panders to LGBT. I think he called it "the worst game of the millenium". So I'm looking forward to it.
Pokémon Challenges | Shiny Island