• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

QoL (quality of life) things you want most in hacks?

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Feb 16, 2020
what are some simple things that you wish every hack had? here's my list
- running shoes at all times
- pokemon center speed up
- repel "use another" prompt in earlier gens
- settings toggle to slowdown music/sfx so you can play the game at 2x speed with sound on (i don't know of any hacks that have this)
- quick continue after resetting
- option to turn off low health beeping
- a way to pass hm barriers (cut-able trees, strength boulders, etc) by just having the hm
- key items that let you do things you'd normally have to go somewhere else for
- compatibility with universal pokemon randomizer

Dr. Seuss

Will finish GS Chronicles, I swear!
Years
- Project with a fair difficulty. There are several of them that fail horribly with that part.
- Gen VI exp share. You have no idea how much I hate grinding and leveling up my team one by one.
- It's okay to let the player realize what they need to do or where to go. But don't let me in the middle of nowhere and expect me to magically find out where to go or whom to talk. I don't expect something like a Rotom Dex to tell me every 5 seconds what to do, but at least a hint about what's next.

__fred__40

fred
Years
I pretty much agree with you,but with the recent development I feel that a must is to have all the pokemon up to Zeraora at least(maybe by the end of 2020 we will also reach Eternatum)

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 6, 2020
Ive never made a rom hack before but I've been watching some tutorials trying to learn how I have a really good idea for a hack but I need help or even maybe to just talk to a creator and share my ideas with them and see if we can get it going

XZY

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Mar 21, 2024
what are some simple things that you wish every hack had? here's my list
- running shoes at all times
- pokemon center speed up
- repel "use another" prompt in earlier gens
- settings toggle to slowdown music/sfx so you can play the game at 2x speed with sound on (i don't know of any hacks that have this)
- quick continue after resetting
- option to turn off low health beeping
- a way to pass hm barriers (cut-able trees, strength boulders, etc) by just having the hm
- key items that let you do things you'd normally have to go somewhere else for
- compatibility with universal pokemon randomizer

Gen 6 exp share as an option and in older gene DECAPITALIZATION

Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 14, 2024
- exp share off/on option
- running shoes always turned on
- turning off low health beeping 100x

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Jul 16, 2022
I think the bottom line for good Roms included these:

- Good Story
- Pokemon from all generations
- No HM's/ Not needed for story progression
- A different and creative battle and bag UI
- A battle mechanic to spice it up (Mega Evolution, Z-Moves, Dynamax)
- A Sandbox Mode/ Flexible EV and IV changing
- Dexnav

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 19, 2022
I find compatibility with a randomizer tool isn't necessary if the game has a randomizer code built in to itself as an option (or default).

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Feb 4, 2024
- No running shoes limit like vanilla.
- Reusable TMs.
- Continuous repel system.
- Continuous item usage like offical BW2, CFRU implemented this.
- No need to learn HMs, just have them... or remove HM, make key item instead.
For me:
- Pokemon data in WRAM decryption, I hate pay sheer luck so I can edit value to get 6-31-IV and suitable nature, ability may change too.
- No...or increase EV limit, I hate 510 limit, I wanna all six abilites to raise to 252, so limit would increase to 1512.
- No save warning: It's unnecessary, because new game has long and default on no warning.
- G6 EXP share: Not very necessary for me though.

The Foogle

Gone For Good
Years
I'm not huge on QOL stuff, but it's very appreciated if it's there. Some stuff i DO like is:

-"Use another?" option when Repels wear off.

-Instant text so i don't have to wait for text scrolling.

-Instant HP bar cut for tankier Pokemon, specifically in Gen 4 games. It's a godsend, really.

-Infinite TMs, or a large quantity given if it's pre Gen V

-I don't know if this counts, but hardly any new story beats. If it's a ROM of an existing game, staying more true to the original is something i prefer. Experiencing the same game but with slightly different stuff.

-A higher Shiny rate, if possible.

-An actually fair and balanced difficulty curve. Some hacks struggle with this. I mean, really. First Colress fight in BB2 Redux, and he already has a Metang and Rotom-Fan with AIR SLASH AND DARK PULSE AFTER THE THIRD GYM?!

Back