• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Books What's your favorite Harry Potter characters?

Years
Mine is Severus Snape.
I used to dislike him until his real background is revealed and we find out he is in fact an anti-hero and he's been working from the shadows as a double agent all along. Other of my favorite characters include: Hermione, Draco Malfoy, Luna Lovegood, Sirius Black, Harry Potter and Alastor Moody.

What about yours?

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
Luna Lovegood hands down. I've always liked how different she is to the main cast, how she always seems to be a light in a situation. Above all else she's from my favourite house! My favourite professor is McGonagall, she reminds me of a few teachers I've even had (minus the magic) firm but clearly shows a lot of care to are students.

Years
Sirius Black is my all-time favorite. I liked all of the marauders in fact, but I love his reckless, crazy personality alongside his fierce devotion to his friends and Harry. His character is poignant to me also because I think he has experienced the most pain and loss of anyone in the Harry Potter universe. The Order of the Phoenix book is my favorite installment in the series because of how character-driven that story is, and I think Sirius is one of the characters that really shines in the novel, though a lot is cut from the movie. I love the films though, and Gary Goldman's casting as Sirius is no exception. He's such a tremendous actor and brings a lot to the role.

If I needed other reason to like Sirius Black he rides a hippogriff, nuff said!

Last edited:

Ys

Wandering Spirit
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 1, 2024
character or characters?

Regardless, it's kind of a tough question. Harry is a great character. He's selfless, loyal and brave. And despite all the hardships he went through, he managed to survive and make the right decisions. So he has to be the obvious first choice. But then I also liked Dumbledore and Professor McGonagall. I mean, Dumbledore is kind of the wise elder who sort of nudged the protagonists from the beginning, similar to Gandalf and Aslan, but it's really interesting that unlike them, he has some big flaws. Which makes him more human and more relatable. And McGonagall was just really sassy and also brave and wasn't afraid to fight for what was right. Plus she turned into a cat. :3

CiCi

[font=Satisfy]Obsession: Watanuki Kimihiro and Izu
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
No love for the twins!? The twins are awesome! They're my favorites, especially after tormenting Umbridge (in the books, they make swamps in the halls and classrooms, and they flood the entire school via the bathrooms, it's great). Not only are they funny, but they are damn smart, too smart for school, and entrepreneurs. They created their entire business from the ground up before they even graduated (actually, they technically didn't since they dipped). Fred and George are my favorite characters.

That said, I also love Draco Malfoy. He was kind of a classic bully in the beginning, but when he was taken into the Death Eater ranks against his will and had to half-heartedly do his duties, he became very sympathetic.

Sirius is a great character and I like how he retained his child-like nature, such as being unable to treat Harry as more than his best friend rather than being a godfather, like he needed to be. He's reckless and endangers himself, much like James did, and much like Harry often does as well. Sirius couldn't let go of his lost past and the fact that he'd been tormented in Azkaban. His death was really, really harsh.

Neville. Holy crap, Neville. I actually think they did him kinda dirty in the books sometimes, but overall he's a wonderful character, a total foil to Harry, and the story would've been completely different had he turned out to be the chosen one, instead of Harry. All Voldy had to do was go after the Longbottom family first... And the fact that Bellatrix tortured his parents until insanity? It's no wonder Neville holds so strongly to his beliefs. He got that determination from his parents.

I like book Hermione. I don't like film Hermione that much cuz I think they made her too perfect, but book Hermione was a great, flawed character. She was so smart but she would freeze under pressure and took her learning way too seriously sometimes. Still, she was an amazing friend to Harry and Ron. I once watched a video of someone who tried to make Voldemort as hated as Umbridge, and it basically involved him taking away all of Hermoine's knowledge of the wizarding world (which not only hurts Hermione but really drives home his puritan hatred of anything less than pureblood). For anyone interested (skip to 4:20 to get right into the cool part):

I also enjoyed McGonagall, Ron, Harry, Arthur, Molly, Lily, Luna, and even more minor characters like Krum and Cedric. But this post has been long enough. xD

itsdarsh

Contender
Years
My favorite Harry Potter character is Ron Weasley. I like that he's Harry's friend. He makes me laugh and I like that he makes Harry happy. His family is nice and funny and I like his mom. I think Harry would've beaten Voldemort faster if he just used a gun. I hope JK Rowling makes more Harry Potter stuff so I can see more Ron Weasley, my favorite character.

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
Years
Huh.

Never thought about it until now, but I really like Malfoy. I feel kind of sorry for him to an extent? I can't totally dislike him, even when he did those things to Harry or his friends.

The Weasley twins are also my favourite, especially when they team up with Peeves.

I was gonna just throw my Newt Scamander card in and call it a day, but idk if he counts or not.

Last edited:
Years
Honestly, the entire cast is really solid, which is fairly rare. I think my favourite is Luna though, although there's a handful of tough competition.

CiCi

[font=Satisfy]Obsession: Watanuki Kimihiro and Izu
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
I was gonna just throw my Newt Scamander card in and call it a day, but idk if he counts or not.

I loooove Newt. He was so cute and adorkable and just a great, different view on male characters. He's so unapologetically himself and he's beautiful. Soft-spoken and sweet, but very determined and sticks to his guns in the face adversity. I love him.

Bay

Years
Luna Lovegood and Sirius Black. I love Luna's quirky personality and her interactions with Harry. A few people have mentioned Sirius's good points, I remember being upset of his death.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
Remus Lupin! He was my role model as a child and he shaped a lot of who I became when I grew older. I went through a traumatic event when I was a lot younger and I think my ability to cope and grow from it actually had quite a bit to do with what I learnt from his character. He was very formative to my values about kindness, perseverance etc. I think if I had read the series when I was older, he wouldn't have had as strong of an impact but he remains my favourite fictional character because of it. On a more light-hearted note, he's just a cool character. I think it's great how much he loves chocolate. :)

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
So many good choices in this thread :') luna is the best character in HP, hands down. I also love Sirius because of his whole speech to Harry in Order, Lupin is a star too.
Also, Newt is amaaaaazing! I actually really liked the first Fantastic Beasts (not Crimes tho that was hot garbage) pretty much entirely because of him. He's such a likeable and unconventional protagonist and Eddie Redmayne is one of my favourite actors<3

Commander Saturn

Information Broker
Years
I would have to say that Tom Riddle is my favourite character, with Dumbledore followed closely afterwards. They seem to be the only two that would not vex my mental. I do appreciate each member of the Malfoy family though, Narcissa and Scorpius a bit more so than the others. Guilderoy Lockhart, Severus Snape and Blaise Zabini are honourable mentions.

Back