• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Lets talk about Tauros.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Apr 23, 2019
So, everyone know how great Tauros was in gen 1, but i just finally got around to train one, and see what it was capable of in practise.
Tbh, i dont really see whats so special about it, it doesnt run through teams like everybody say it does, am i missing something here?

Sure enough, its quite fast, but unlike pokemons like rhydon, zapdos and exeggcutor, it cant switch in for free, and it takes quite a big dent from special attacks in general. Pokemon is a game of switching and predicting, Tauros fails at the former. Its 2hk flat by zam, who is faster, tanky pokemon such as lapras, slowbro and cloyster also have few issues dealing with it, i found.

Maybe im being too harsh, its definitely a decent pokemon, i just fail to see why its supposed to be the king of gen 1, after mewtwo/mew.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
The reason Tauros became popular is because it was a fast Swiss Army knife. The sheer amount of moves Tauros can learn combined with its above average, if not Elite speed made it a popular Pokemon(especially when Speed had a role to play when determining Critical Hits). It's more of a Physical attacker than a Special sweeper(and because of that may be more susceptible to Special moves. Just remember that Special is combined in Generation 1) but outside of that has no glaring weaknesses aside from having an average HP stat. Furthermore, by being a Normal Type meant that only Fighting Type moves were Super Effective on it.

TLDR: For a non-Legendary, it's better than 95% of the Pokemon on this list

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
I've never used it because of how late it comes. I always end up using Snorlax or Clefable. Even Kangaskhan is available at the same time at Tauros.

I think it's good because there isn't much that can switch in on body slam, even the stuff that can switch has to risk being paralyzed.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Apr 23, 2019
The reason Tauros became popular is because it was a fast Swiss Army knife. The sheer amount of moves Tauros can learn combined with its above average, if not Elite speed made it a popular Pokemon(especially when Speed had a role to play when determining Critical Hits). It's more of a Physical attacker than a Special sweeper(and because of that may be more susceptible to Special moves. Just remember that Special is combined in Generation 1) but outside of that has no glaring weaknesses aside from having an average HP stat. Furthermore, by being a Normal Type meant that only Fighting Type moves were Super Effective on it.

TLDR: For a non-Legendary, it's better than 95% of the Pokemon on this list

Yeah, but it seems very much like a luck dependant pokemon, "if you get critical body slam, you can then finish things of with a hyper beam" i hear some say, but what if you dont get that crit? You only get it 1/5 times, Tauros really isnt killing much without some hax/luck involved.
Its a good pokemon, but hardly the world-beater most people think it is, imo.

Last edited:
Back