• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Characters and Pokemon you liked but now hate

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
So are there any Characters and Pokemon you guys liked at first but now hate or dislike?

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
Meowth. At first he was funny with Team Rocket. But now he has gotten stale and should have left after Johto with Jessie and James. My opinion though.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
Meowth. At first he was funny with Team Rocket. But now he has gotten stale and should have left after Johto with Jessie and James. My opinion though.
Can't help but agreeing. The TR trio are so boring these days... Can't really believe they're still a thing. They should indeed have been gone after Johto imo.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
Hmm, that's a tough topic to answer, mostly because my views of the characters haven't really changed all that much. I still am intensely loyal to Misty (and believe me, it would need to take a LOT for me to start having even slightly negative feelings to her, much less hating her), I pretty much hated May and Dawn largely from the start, Iris I thought was far closer to a worthy successor to Misty than May and Dawn ever were, and Serena... well, she's okay I guess, though I don't really like the canon hiccup she brought about (and personally, I thought she did even LESS than May and Dawn). Tracey I was largely aloof to, Max I pretty much tolerated (ESPECIALLY compared to his sister), and Cilan, well, he's Cilan I guess, and Bonnie and Clemont I guess had some good traits to them, even if the whole bride thing of hers was a bit annoying. And the SM characters from what I gather are fine altogether. Heck, even Brock I'm regaining some long lost respect for after his brief return this saga.

If I really had to choose, though, it would probably be Brock, Team Rocket or Ash.

Ash, it's not so much I hate him or even dislike him as much as I think he was extremely poorly utilized to such an extent that they should just put him out of his misery and actually have him win a game league for once, not even caring if it ends the anime. Doesn't help that he pretty much is rendered incapable of keeping any character development with each saga.

For Team Rocket, well, technically, I hated them from the start, but it was closer to "love to hate" due to the fact that, since they're supposed to be evil, I'm supposed to hate them, never root for the bad guys or even like them. Now, my hatred is not even due to "love to hate" as it is because right now, they've been so mishandled that they're basically bad jokes of their original selves, and are basically more of a nuisance than genuinely threatening, and even in the one instance where they are depicted as genuinely threatening, they really oversold it to be ridiculous (I would have been willing to settle with them even beating Ash's rookie Pokémon at that time, especially as a bit of payback for their loss against Caterpie. Just manhandling Pikachu was overkill). Honestly, even Gaston came across as a threat by comparison to them, and I consider him among Disney's most poorly written villains largely BECAUSE of his reprise and being too open about his villainy in a very stupid manner.

And lastly, Brock (though he's only a sort-of example, as again, SM if anything redeemed him): I thought he was good during Kanto, since he had some truly redeemable and sympathetic qualities that made him far more well-rounded, like him actually having intense rage against Damian for his callous treatment of what was then his Charmander and spearheading the rescue effort of Charmander, and he was a very good mentor for Ash (Misty too, for that matter), and we even see him trying to raise Togepi as an egg. Unfortunately, starting with Johto, he started devolving into a Glenn Quagmire clone despite his humor not even being remotely appropriate for the target audience. While he did have a bit of that trait in him in Kanto, it was never THAT pronounced or episodic. Not helped was that he barely even bother to focus on his breeder goal despite Generation II actually introducing the breeding mechanic (only time it came up was the Stantler episode and the breeder convention). And AG gives even less focus to that goal (and unfortunately takes his Quagmire tendencies up to 11). Not helping matters is the writers shilling him to the extent that he makes several of the characters needlessly incompetent (like for example, Sick Daze had Misty botching soup despite the fact that, 1., she was implied to have been the one who cooked during the episodes in Viridian Forest, 2., a Cardass thing had Misty shown cooking stew without any indication she was doing a terrible job, and 3., she saved Ash, Tracey, and even Jessie's life from Stun Sporeitis disease by cooking Salveyo Weed. Plus, Brock's return in AG had Ash not knowing how to cook despite already observing Brock cook, not to mention doing very well in the Orange Islands without him, and when Pachirisu was sick, Ash fails to recognize the symptoms despite having personal experience with similar symptoms his Pikachu had twice.). And it also doesn't help that he uncharacteristically abandoned the gym even when it became especially apparent that his family was so grossly incompetent that even Misty's sisters probably were far better gym leaders than they were (like the first time, Lola nearly killed several Rock Pokemon via drowning by turning the whole thing into a swimming pool, not to mention the awful decorations, and the second time, despite Forrest clearly being in charge, she managed to have painters give it even WORSE decorations than before and even alongside Flint nearly got it burglarized while accepting plane tickets from strangers, and Forrest doesn't even ATTEMPT to fight the challengers (Ash and Brock had to), when if Brock was actually the responsible type, he'd realize he'd need to stop journeying and settle down at the gym because it would have been painfully obvious that he's the only one able to run the gym, even if he doesn't care for it.). It wasn't even until he left that he got an actual goal change (ironically, one that definitely would have made him a LOT more useful via field medics). I even feared when he returned that they'd ruin him even further, but then I discovered that, no, he actually only flirted with one girl, once, and he actually managed to be a competent trainer not seen since Kanto.

snowfire911

Snowfire, Keeper of Breloom and Shroomish
Years
Definetly ash. He was good when i first started watching indigo league, but i became sick of him becoming the star of ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING. Why dont they give other characters a chance?

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 24, 2022
Can't help but agreeing. The TR trio are so boring these days... Can't really believe they're still a thing. They should indeed have been gone after Johto imo.

I don't think they should drop them out tbh.
I still, after all these years, after all these seasons enjoy seeing them ... however, they're there just to often.
They really needed to spread it out more and make them appear once in a while instead of every single episode. I personally think that that is what made them so boring, it's because it's to much of the same thing over and over.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 22, 2018
As much as I dislike the way Misty was booted off of the show with little closure, I also don't think Ash, Brock, and the TRio benefited at all from staying past Johto.

The moment Ash stepped into Hoenn was the moment he stopped being a character with an ongoing storyline and became a generic mascot protagonist who served no purpose besides marketing the Yellow Rat and whatever new Pok?mon were deemed the most "marketable." His story became a neverending loop of league losses and hard resets, and his characterization became completely inconsistent and based entirely on whatever the tone of the arc called for. It's a broken record, and it makes the show feel like a joke.

As for Brock and the TRio, it's plainly obvious that both were kept around past Johto for comic relief purposes, and their characters completely flatlined as a result. One can only go through the same stale routine of drooling over Joy/Jenny/COTD or failing to catch Pikachu every episode. At least, Brock was mercifully let go of after DP, but the TRio haven't been so lucky.

I've said it a million times, but this show would've really benefited from sticking to the original plan of ending Ash's story in Johto and have subsequent sagas be reboots with new casts. Even the best characters become stale when they stick around for more than 4 or 5 years, and it also makes continuity more difficult to maintain.

Plus, wouldn't it also make more sense from a game marketing perspective to use characters from the actual games themselves as the stars of the show? The game counterparts of Ash, Brock, and the TRio were nowhere to be found in RSE and DPPt, so why did we still get them in the Hoenn and Sinnoh animes while actual characters from those games like Brendan, Wally, and Lucas were left to rot? How is that advertising the new games? >_>

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
As much as I dislike the way Misty was booted off of the show with little closure, I also don't think Ash, Brock, and the TRio benefited at all from staying past Johto.

The moment Ash stepped into Hoenn was the moment he stopped being a character with an ongoing storyline and became a generic mascot protagonist who served no purpose besides marketing the Yellow Rat and whatever new Pok?mon were deemed the most "marketable." His story became a neverending loop of league losses and hard resets, and his characterization became completely inconsistent and based entirely on whatever the tone of the arc called for. It's a broken record, and it makes the show feel like a joke.

As for Brock and the TRio, it's plainly obvious that both were kept around past Johto for comic relief purposes, and their characters completely flatlined as a result. One can only go through the same stale routine of drooling over Joy/Jenny/COTD or failing to catch Pikachu every episode. At least, Brock was mercifully let go of after DP, but the TRio haven't been so lucky.

I've said it a million times, but this show would've really benefited from sticking to the original plan of ending Ash's story in Johto and have subsequent sagas be reboots with new casts. Even the best characters become stale when they stick around for more than 4 or 5 years, and it also makes continuity more difficult to maintain.

Plus, wouldn't it also make more sense from a game marketing perspective to use characters from the actual games themselves as the stars of the show? The game counterparts of Ash, Brock, and the TRio were nowhere to be found in RSE and DPPt, so why did we still get them in the Hoenn and Sinnoh animes while actual characters from those games like Brendan, Wally, and Lucas were left to rot? How is that advertising the new games? >_>
By showing off the new pokemon, gym leaders, towns, and the different things you can do thats not battling.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
By showing off the new pokemon, gym leaders, towns, and the different things you can do thats not battling.

The latter stuff you can only dedicate one episode for, though, not make it an entire character arc when in the games most of that stuff doesn't even directly lead to the end credits. Otherwise, it's just false advertising.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
The latter stuff you can only dedicate one episode for, though, not make it an entire character arc when in the games most of that stuff doesn't even directly lead to the end credits. Otherwise, it's just false advertising.

Those are side things you can do if you want.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
Those are side things you can do if you want.

True, but they definitely shouldn't be made into a character's literal character arc and goal. I'm thinking along the lines of May and Dawn's goal regarding Pok?mon Contests and/or Serena's Showcases (or, for that matter, Brock's breeder goal). Type Master-goals like Misty's and to a certain extent Iris's goals at least are possible to accomplish in the games by using Pok?mon of a specific type to beat the Pok?mon League.

Here's my idea: If you're going to have the characters actually have a major goal, make sure they are the kinds of goals that directly lead to the end credits in the games.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
True, but they definitely shouldn't be made into a character's literal character arc and goal. I'm thinking along the lines of May and Dawn's goal regarding Pok?mon Contests and/or Serena's Showcases (or, for that matter, Brock's breeder goal). Type Master-goals like Misty's and to a certain extent Iris's goals at least are possible to accomplish in the games by using Pok?mon of a specific type to beat the Pok?mon League.

Here's my idea: If you're going to have the characters actually have a major goal, make sure they are the kinds of goals that directly lead to the end credits in the games.

The main thing you can be in the games is a trainer other things are side things you can do. And because Ash is the trainer someone has to show off the side things.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
The main thing you can be in the games is a trainer other things are side things you can do. And because Ash is the trainer someone has to show off the side things.

Under a marketing standpoint, the side things are the kinds of stuff that are relegated to either one episode only or at most a little arc, NOT a full-fledged goal. I mean, did any of the characters have full-fledged goals relating to the secret bases? That's a side thing. Or hey, how about discovering fossils or collecting stones for evolutionary purposes?

In other words, the girl trainers need to actually DO gyms, specifically to make SURE they are actually promoting the games, either that, or make Pok?mon Contests/Showcases an actual goal in the games (and by "actual goal", I mean one that directly leads to the end game credits).

Either way, BettyNewbie is quite correct regarding her statements about Ash, Brock, and Team Rocket, as I've made similar statements about them myself.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
Under a marketing standpoint, the side things are the kinds of stuff that are relegated to either one episode only or at most a little arc, NOT a full-fledged goal. I mean, did any of the characters have full-fledged goals relating to the secret bases? That's a side thing. Or hey, how about discovering fossils or collecting stones for evolutionary purposes?

In other words, the girl trainers need to actually DO gyms, specifically to make SURE they are actually promoting the games, either that, or make Pok?mon Contests/Showcases an actual goal in the games (and by "actual goal", I mean one that directly leads to the end game credits).

Either way, BettyNewbie is quite correct regarding her statements about Ash, Brock, and Team Rocket, as I've made similar statements about them myself.

The only way you can do that is by changing the whole story for that to work. And there is a chance that the switch pokemon games may to this. And there are girl trainers but it would be boring if the only thing that the pokegirls can do is be trainers.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
The only way you can do that is by changing the whole story for that to work. And there is a chance that the switch pokemon games may to this. And there are girl trainers but it would be boring if the only thing that the pokegirls can do is be trainers.

The anime's supposed to be an advertisement for the games, right? Well, the best way to actually advertise it is to have all the characters be Gym Battlers/League Battlers just like in the games, and if we are to focus on side elements of the games, do them in either singular episodes or have mini arcs on them that serve as a distraction from the main goal. And as far as changing it up in USUM, if they were going to change it up, it should have been in Gen III. I can ask my aunt and uncle, they actually work in the advertisement industry.

And besides, it's not like they can't include the boy trainers, anyways. With the exception of Gold, Silver, and Crystal (and the remakes) and possibly SM, Ash (well, technically Red, but still...) isn't even IN the games, much less acting as the playable character (even in GSC/HGSS/SM, he's an NPC), and using the boy characters would have sufficed just as well regarding advertising, arguably even MORE so.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
The anime's supposed to be an advertisement for the games, right? Well, the best way to actually advertise it is to have all the characters be Gym Battlers/League Battlers just like in the games, and if we are to focus on side elements of the games, do them in either singular episodes or have mini arcs on them that serve as a distraction from the main goal. And as far as changing it up in USUM, if they were going to change it up, it should have been in Gen III. I can ask my aunt and uncle, they actually work in the advertisement industry.

And besides, it's not like they can't include the boy trainers, anyways. With the exception of Gold, Silver, and Crystal (and the remakes) and possibly SM, Ash (well, technically Red, but still...) isn't even IN the games, much less acting as the playable character (even in GSC/HGSS/SM, he's an NPC), and using the boy characters would have sufficed just as well regarding advertising, arguably even MORE so.

Well to me that would make the anime really boring if everyone doing the same thing with nothing different about how they going about it. But at this point how about we agree to disagree.

Years
Gary. It is hardly a newfound feeling since he hasn't been in the series since Sinnoh, but I prefer the Gary Oak of Kanto and some of Johto, especially by the power plant episode. I Imagine that many people will feel the opposite, and came to like him more as the series progressed since he is "nicer." He went from being bratty to very polite. I think he started going out of character gradually though. To have him get more mature was cool, but the way he is presented at the silver conference or the power plant episode is as far as my comfort zone will allow. I like the vain Gaston-esque Gary with the sports car and cheerleaders of the the first season, but I also like the competitive, aloof but more chilled out Gary in Master Quest.

However, by Chronicles Gary Oak is a Gary Stu. I mean he ought to get together and run the poke center with Nurse Joy, Wigglytuff and Audino-- this is just not who he was.

Years
Iris and Cilan.
I disliked them for replacing Dawn and Brock, I had quite huge bias against them but I came to accept the fact they were good characters and right now they've become one of my favorite characters.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
Iris and Cilan.
I disliked them for replacing Dawn and Brock, I had quite huge bias against them but I came to accept the fact they were good characters and right now they've become one of my favorite characters.

I think you need to reread the topic: The topic is which characters did you used to love but you now hate for various reasons. What you answered is the complete opposite.

Back