• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Simple Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Jan 21, 2014
How does the Prankster ability work? I thought it was suppose to give priority to status moves, but yet my Whimsicott constantly goes last. Example, I tried to use Trick Room and a Landorus used Earth Power first. So...I'm really not understanding how this works anymore. And at the same time, the guy's Tyranitar pulled off a Crunch before I could use Trick Room. Unless your opponent uses a priority move, doesn't the move with the higher priority go first?

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
How does the Prankster ability work? I thought it was suppose to give priority to status moves, but yet my Whimsicott constantly goes last. Example, I tried to use Trick Room and a Landorus used Earth Power first. So...I'm really not understanding how this works anymore. And at the same time, the guy's Tyranitar pulled off a Crunch before I could use Trick Room. Unless your opponent uses a priority move, doesn't the move with the higher priority go first?

I'm pretty sure Trick Room isn't affected by Prankster, and thus will not go first when a Pokemon with the ability uses it. Because, Trick Room has a move priority of -7. But when a prankster using TR uses it, the move becomes -6.

Years
  • Seen Apr 13, 2015
Is it a big deal if you don't have any choice users on your competitive team? (specifically, in gen IV, if that matters) I read that you should be really careful about having two choicers, but do you generally need one? Or can you generally do just fine without one?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Is it a big deal if you don't have any choice users on your competitive team? (specifically, in gen IV, if that matters) I read that you should be really careful about having two choicers, but do you generally need one? Or can you generally do just fine without one?

You don't really need Choice users, but they're good to consider if you want the Pokemon you're using to hit hard or fast right off the bat without having to use a set-up move.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen today
Because Trick Room has a negative priority, so it means it will always go last regardless of the ability.

Perriechu

Years
How do I train my team to level 100 in gen V. Message me please!

Grind. That's all I can really say lol? Or invest in an AR and use the x4535465546 exp code or something. There's really thing else you can do. ): (Just battle the E4, Cynthia and Audino's in the highest place for a lot of exp).

Years
  • Seen Jul 29, 2012
I really don't understand how the legendary dogs and legendary birds are allowed in random match up. I have no legendaries and it's sad to see ppl rely on them bc they can't train pkmn for themselves. But can someone explain hy they are allowed jut other legendaries arnt? The rules and restrictions seems to be all over the place. How ca I lose to explosion in wifi match up when it's our lat 2 pokemo as well? Seems really bs

Perriechu

Years
I really don't understand how the legendary dogs and legendary birds are allowed in random match up. I have no legendaries and it's sad to see ppl rely on them bc they can't train pkmn for themselves. But can someone explain hy they are allowed jut other legendaries arnt? The rules and restrictions seems to be all over the place. How ca I lose to explosion in wifi match up when it's our lat 2 pokemo as well? Seems really bs

Just because a Pokemon is legendary doesn't mean it's good. Articuno is legendary but because of its typing, movepool and stats, it just isn't that good. Well mainly its lovely 4x Rock (and Stealth Rock) weaknesses are the biggest causes here of why it's not that good. But then you have a Pokemon like Arceus who has 120 across the board in terms of base stats and a huge movepool, that can wreck a lot of teams; that is considered powerful and thus banished to the Uber tier. It's basically all up to type, stats, movepools etc. And the Explosion 'problem' is because if there's only 1 Pokemon left for you and your opponent, whoever uses Explosion is the one who loses iirc. And tbh; the rules aren't all over the place, you just need to educate yourself on the matter.

Years
  • Seen Apr 13, 2015

You should look up the tier system on Smogon. As far as I know, most people go by that system when battling.

FYI, in BW, Raikou and Suicune are both considered UU pokemon (UnderUsed, i.e. less strong than OU or OverUsed pokemon) and Entei is RU (RarelyUsed, or not even good enough to play in UU). As for the birds, Zapdos is OU thanks to his bulk and nifty E/Q immunity, among other things, while as dragonomega says Moltres and Articuno are hardly ever if ever used and are in RU and NU (NeverUsed, lower than RU) respectively.

Years
  • Seen May 3, 2012
Is There a Purpose to HP EVs?

Pardon me if this is an ignorant question to ask, but what exactly is the purpose of EV training a pokemon in HP? Presumably, there is some value in doing so, as I've seen countless sets that demand some EVs be put into HP, but I just don't understand the motivations behind this; the way I understand the mechanics of pokemon (and this is almost certainly wrong), an attack will do a percentage of damage to the opponent based on various factors (which, for the purposes of this explanation, are irrelevant). However, whether my pokemon has 300 HP or 330 HP, an attack that does 10% damage to my pokemon will always and only do 10%, not necessarily a specific amount of damage. If a tackle to a houndoom always did 30 damage, then I could certainly understand the bonuses of having 300 vs. 330 HP, but if it's a percentage based thing - and it seems like it is, based on those irrelevant details I previously alluded to, which seem to me to be a formula involving the attacking pokemon's attack/special attack stat, base damage of the move, and the receiving pokemon's defense/special defense stat - then why would it matter how much HP the houndoom had?

I hope I articulated this well enough to warrant a response, if not, please let me know and I'll try to word it better; I just kind of threw my [jumbled] thought process into this post and let it ride.

Years
  • Seen Apr 13, 2015
It's not percentage based. If tackle does 30 HP damage to Houndoom, it will do 30 HP damage whether he has 300 or 330 HP. If Houndoom has 60 HP, it will do 50%, and if he is EV trained to 120 HP (for the sake of argument, without changing defense), it will do 25%. It's why so many people love Blissey; despite her pathetic physical defense stat, her HP is so ridiculously high that many physical attacks don't do much to her anyway (or at least, less than 50%, which means she can stall with softboiled). And of course, with her sky high special defense stat, she can absorb even super effective special attacks all day whereas some other special walls couldn't really do that.

Play around with a damage calculator to see for yourself. It only requires your pokemon's attack stat, your opponent's defense stat, and the move you're using (to determine base power and type advantages/disadvantages), and then spits out a number which is the damage the move will deal. (btw, for the calculator I linked to above, the "min" and "max" numbers refer to the range of damage, because the damage each attack does has a relatively small randomness factor to it)

tj4bigred

Instant Classic
Years
Some Pokémon need the HP to make 101 HP substitutes, so they can survive Seismic Toss and Night Shade. And some Pokémon can pass huge Wishes to their teammates. Sometimes, Pokémon need a specific HP investment to be able to switch into Stealth Rocks the maximum number of times.

Years
  • Seen Apr 13, 2015
Alright, so here's a question. I made a couple relatively successful gen IV teams, which I've been doing because I haven't learned much about BW yet. But, I want to try. What is the best way to get acclimated to all the changes and threats? I feel like if I tried to make a team, it would simply fail because I don't know what's out there and I wouldn't know what opponents' pokemon would run. (e.g., I bring in Celebi to check Breloom and it uses "Mega Bug Punch" on me or something...)

Is there a guide (or small set of guides) that I could just read through and get acclimated to a good number of the new BW threats and the kinds of moves they will use?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Alright, so here's a question. I made a couple relatively successful gen IV teams, which I've been doing because I haven't learned much about BW yet. But, I want to try. What is the best way to get acclimated to all the changes and threats? I feel like if I tried to make a team, it would simply fail because I don't know what's out there and I wouldn't know what opponents' pokemon would run. (e.g., I bring in Celebi to check Breloom and it uses "Mega Bug Punch" on me or something...)

Is there a guide (or small set of guides) that I could just read through and get acclimated to a good number of the new BW threats and the kinds of moves they will use?

Breloom won't use mega bug punch, do not fear! ...for that does not exist, luckily.

Anyway as for guides this forum itself doesn't really have anything covering threats, but other than reading through here, there's no other place that'll really cover it. :( But tbh, I find practice the best thing really. Just try a team, ladder and see if it works then go from there, it's really the best way of learning and understanding what the metagame has.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Dec 24, 2022
Need some info on Weavile :)

I had an open slot in my team, and I was thinking a good filler would be Weavile.

Do you guys think you could ramble off some decent stats and attacks I should go after?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I had an open slot in my team, and I was thinking a good filler would be Weavile.

Do you guys think you could ramble off some decent stats and attacks I should go after?

Weavile's best stats are its Attack and Speed. However, its poor defensive typing leaves it prone to Scizor's Bullet Punch and Conkeldurr's Mach Punch. Still, it's a decent Pokemon in its own right:
-Ice Shard
-Pursuit
-Ice Punch/Night Slash/Punishment
-Low Kick
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 40 HP/252 Atk/216 Spe or 252 Atk/4 SDef/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Choice Band

This is Weavile's standard OU set. While it does have a couple of weak moves, they serve important purposes. Pursuit lets you hit Pokemon as they switch out, especially Ghosts and Psychics, while Ice Shard lets you finish off weakened Pokemon, or to get a hit in before you die against a faster opponent.

or
-Swords Dance
-Night Slash
-Ice Punch/Ice Shard
-Low Kick
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 40 HP/252 Atk/216 Spe or 252 Atk/4 SDef/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb

While Weavile's defenses are poor, it can use Swords Dance somewhat well, assuming that priority users are out of the way.

Years
OU Team help?

Hey guys,
Can someone help me make a team around Heracross and Suicune for the OU tier, they are two of my favorite Wi-Fi Pokemon but it's hard to build a solid team around them considering im kinda new to all this, so any help would be amazing :)

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
Pkmn White Team Vs online players

I cant seem to beat anyone online with my team no matter who I use. Can someone tell if there is something wrong with my team. This is a combo of Plat, heartgold, and White

Emboar/Adamant : Flame Charge, heat crash, Hammer arm, Earthquake.
Infernape/ Impish: Flamethrower, Bulk up, close combat Earthquake
Tyrantar/Quiet: Dark Pulse, Thunder Fang, Earthquake, Giga impact
Haxorus/Hardy: Dragon Claw, Outrage, Dragon Dance, (change from Swords dance) False swipe
Raichu/Rash: Thunderbolt, Thunder, Body Slam, Thunder wave (changed from Return)
Umbreon/quiet: Confuse ray (bite) Dark pulse, Moonlight, Psychic
Espeon/Lax: Swift, Future Sight, Shadown ball, Psychic
Blastoise/Lax: Ice Beam, Hydro Cannon, Earthquake, Protect (skull bash)
Garchomp/impish: Dragon claw, Swords dance, Dragon rush, Earthquake
Jolteon/sassy: Thunderbolt, Double kick, Thunder, Toxic

Obviously these levels get dropped down to 50 online, but why I cant see I cant beat these people online. I know speed is an issue with this team. As far as EV/IV I am not sure what they are that concept is new to me and still learning. What other issues can people see based on this?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back