• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favorite and Least Favorite Pokemon by Generation

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 30, 2017
I was sitting looking through a few pokemon and had an idea so I am wondeing what peoples Favorite and Least Favorite Pokemon are in each generation, Like if you had to pick 1 and only 1 you like and dislike what would it be. (To make it harder No legendary's, No mega's or any forms are allowed i.e alolan poke's)

I'll start
Gen. 1 Favorite is Dratini, I like them best because I remember how long it took for me to get it and I always try and get 1 when ever I can now.
Least Favorite Is Charizard I have never understood the hype for it.

Gen. 2 Favorite is Sunflora, I love sunflora because it was one of the first pokemon voices I was able to do and it was/is so much fun to do.
Least Favorite is Typhlosion again the same reason as Charizard I just don't see why, Although I did like the Typhlosion in the pokemon spin-off.

Gen. 3 Favorite is Beautifly, This was easy as it is my fav pokemon I have always loved it no other reason lol.
Least Favorite is Blaziken, I didn't like that it was a cute little chick, I don't mind Combusken but Blaziken just annoys me.

Gen. 4 Favorite is Happiny, The reason for this one is based on the anime and how it was in that and it also made me want to never evolve it, Plus I can do the voice too.
Least Favorite is Lucario, Yeah I have used this excuse 2 times now but the hype for it just makes no sense to me and I have neve liked it.

Gen. 5 Favorite is Chandelure, I loved that it is a ghost Chandelier it was perfect to me and made sense.
Least Favorite is Bisharp I just don't get it, It makes no sense to me.

Gen. 6 Favorite is Delphox, I like how it progressed from Fennekin to become a mage of sorts.
Least Favorite is you may have guessed what it could be but I don't like Greninja not only for the hype reason but the nasty tounge scarf just yuk!

Gen. 7 Favorite is Dewpider it is just so awesome I think and I loved the bubble around it's head and the typing was perfect.
Least Favorite is Incineroar I really dislike the design I wanted Litten to evolve better, That said I will say that I do like the theme it was meant to be.

Can't wait to see what you all say :)

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen today
Gen 1
Favourite: Pikachu/Raichu
Least favourite: Magikarp

Gen 2
Favourite: Feraligatr
Least favourite: Stantler

Gen 3
Favourite: Salamence
Least favourite: Luvdisc

Gen 4
Favourite: Garchomp
Least favourite: Arceus

Gen 5
Favourite: Volcarona
Least favourite: Watchog

Gen 6
Favourite: Greninja
Least favourite: Binacle

Gen 7
Favourite: Incineroar
Least favourite: Charjabug

Cool_Porygon

Lurking in the shadows
Years
Leaving out legendaries and eeveelutions to make it easier on myself.

Gen 1
Favourite: Ninetales
Least Favourite: Tentacool

Gen 2
Favourite: Sneasel
Least Favourite: Snubbull

Gen 3
Favourite: Gardevoir
Least Favourite: Feebas

Gen 4
Favourite: Lucario
Least Favourite: Empoleon

Gen 5
Favourite: Samurott
Least Favourite: Basculin

Gen 6
Favourite: Talonflame
Least Favourite: Chesnaught

Gen 7
Favourite: Mimikyu
Least Favourite: Incineroar

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
I'm really bad at choices so I'll try limit myself to 3 (least)-favourites maximum, sorry. I'm going to put them in spoilers because this will be an essay as usual (apparently exams don't kill my appetite for writing).

Gen I:
Spoiler:

Gen II:
Spoiler:

Gen III:
Spoiler:

Gen IV:
Spoiler:

Gen V:
Spoiler:

I honestly feel like a feature-length adaptation of this, with Ben Affleck playing the main commentary guy, needs to be his next "everythings dark and grimy in Boston" film.

Absolitetion

Deemed to be a demon, but an angel inside.
Years
Gen 1:
Best: Arcanine/Ninetales. I really can't pick between the two.
Worst: Mr. Mime.​

Gen 2:
Best: Ho-Oh
Worst: Smoochum​

Gen 3:
Best: Absol
Worst: Nosepass​

Gen 4:
Best: Luxray
Worst: Lickilicky​

Gen 5:
Best: Zoroark
Worst: Musharna​

Gen 6:
Best: Sylveon
Worst: Aromatisse​

Gen 7:
Best: Lyanroc
Worst: Dewpider​

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 3, 2017
Gen 1
Favorite: Machamp/Snorlax
Least Favorite: Jynx

Gen 2
Favorite: Feraligatr
Least Favorite: Smoochum

Gen 3
Favorite: Salamance
Least Favorite: Luvdisc

Gen 4
Favorite: Gliscor/Infernape
Least Favorite: Purugly

Gen 5
Favorite: Darmanitan
Least Favorite: Watchog

Gen 6
Favorite: Noivern/Tyrantrum/Hawlucha
Least Favorite: Binacle

Gen 7
Favorite: Golisopod
Least Favorite: Bruxish

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 7, 2020
Gen 1
Spoiler:

Gen 2
Spoiler:

Gen 3
Spoiler:

Gen 4
Spoiler:

Gen 5
Spoiler:

Gen 6
Spoiler:

Gen 7
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
Gen 2:
Best: Ho-Oh
Worst: Smoochum​

Gen 5:
Best: Zoroark
Worst: Musharna​

Yassssss, more Smoochum hate! But Musharna, really? It's like a giant brain! It makes me think of these bad boys
latest

Least Favorite:
149.png
Dragonite. I am quite passionate about my hatred for Dragonite. So many awful memories of being whipped in the school yard by this jerk. Lance, he is the second factor that makes me hate Dragonite so much, He was always such a jerk with his Dragonites and they always cheated. Then the last thing is Dragonite's overall presence in competitive. Dragonite was designed to be bonkers powerful and it's always completely obvious how powerful he is whenever coming up against one competitively. I will probably never like Dragonite.

Least Favorite:
225.png
Delibird. I was never sure if Delibird was designed to be a gimmick pokemon or not. If they were just trying to make a Postman/Santa Claus pokemon, they definitely could have done it much better. The pokemon just seems so gimmicky that they made it completely unusable. Terrible stats and only one natural move to it that sometimes healed the opponent. It looks kind of cute, but still not enough to justify this pokemon.

Least Favorite:
338.png
Solrock. So both Solrock and Lunatone are fairly terrible version exclusive pokemon, but I actually decided that Solrock is worse than Lunatone due to Lunatone's base 95 Special Attack stat and Solrock's opposite base 55 Special Attack stat. Solrock's overall move pool is fairly narrow and most of the moves either don't match its typing or its preferred stats. I'm also not a very big fan of Solrock's overal design, I really do think that Lunatone got the better design of the two.

Favorite:
560.png
Scrafty. One of my favorite wall pokemon that gets stronger the longer it survives. It utilizes "Moxie" to great potential to match its natural bulk and a lot of its move pool contributes to its overall survival. Having impressive egg moves at its disposal as well such as "Dragon Dance" and "Drain Punch". It's overall design is really cool making it look like a rude punk to match its classification as a "Hoodlum Pokemon". Plus it's egg classification labels it as a Dragon, making it in my book one of the single coolest non-dragon typed Dragon.

Dude c'mon, how can you fully hate Dragonite! He's almost cute, as well as being extremely powerful! I have to agree with you on how irritating Garchomp was competitively, so I guess maybe I understand where you were coming from.

Kinda agree with all your reasons on hating Delibird, only I like its design so I don't completely hate it. Really frustrating that its not more usable though.

I don't share your hatred for Lunatone, but I do dislike Solrock quite a bit, mostly because not only is it inferior to Lunatone, but I was only ever able to get Solrock out of the duo until Gen V. This also makes me dislike Seviper quite a bit due to Zangoose also being cooler and unavailable in Emerald.

As for Scrafty, ironically considering your comments on Basculin I forgot about the guy, he's so cool! That ability and surprising stats really do make him useful. I like that his typing means that you can send two Scrafty head to head using Hi Jump Kick on eachother (something i accomplished multiple times in Black), and it prevents him from getting too carried away with Moxie because there's always a way to hurt him with something faster, unlike whichever psychopath gave it to Salamence.

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
Years
Gen 1
Favourite: Alakazam(I gave myself this name for a reason after all)
Least Favourite: Jigglypuff(aka the worst Pokémon of all)

Gen 2
Favourite: Dunspace(aka the original Uber)
Least Favourite: Delibird(why can't he learn anything???)

Gen 3
Favourite: Gardevoir(post Fairy-typing though, with Metagross otherwise)
Least Favourite: Feebas(why you so hard to evolve?!!11one)

Gen 4
Favourite: Hippowdon(He made me appreciate Sandstorm teams)
Least Favourite: Cherrim(Battle-wise only; otherwise delicious)

Gen 5
Favourite: Galvantula(I fell in love before I even knew about Compoundeyes Thunder <3)
Least Favourite: Cubchoo(Wipe your nose already! It's been seven years!)

Gen 6
Favourite: Greninja(Protean is boss, and getting into Smash didn't hurt his chances either)
Least Favourite: Dedenne(Can we please quit it with the Pikachu clones?)

Gen 7
Favourite: Dhelmise(Triple STAB FTW!)
Least Favourite: Gumshoos(I supported Bernie Sanders)

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
Years
Gen 1

Favourite - Vileplume - Has helped me in so many playthroughs and has a cute design. Very Underrated.
Least Favourite - Kangaskhan - Forgettable before now annoying with its broken mega which is why I always carry a fighting type.

Gen 2

Favourite - Pichu - Also my favourite baby Pokemon.
Least favourite - Stantler - What was it again?

Gen 3

Favourite - Gardevoir - Pure elegance and a great mega.
Least favourite - Whiscash - Odd design, nonsensical typing and no reason to use in a game where Swampert exists.

Gen 4

Favourite - Garchomp - Great design and powerful even after the fairy nerf. One of my favourite Pokemon to use competitively.
Least Favourite - Bronzong - A floating bell. Really? And a pain to take down.

Gen 5

Favourite - Lilligant - An adorably cute Pokemon with great ability's and an excellent design. My Contest Pokemon. Also my favourite Pokemon. :)
Least Favourite - Zoroark - So lets take all the bad things about Lucario, give it a worse typing and make it event only in BW. Should have hyped something else.

Gen 6

Favourite - Delphox - A great design and my favourite Fire starter.
Least Favourite - Barbaracle - Ugly, ugly design.

Gen 7

Favourite - Alolan Ninetales - One of the most elegant Pokemon ever, now even more so.
Least favourite - Mudsdale - Strange design, uninspiring shiny and a horrific shiny.

Absolitetion

Deemed to be a demon, but an angel inside.
Years
But Musharna, really? It's like a giant brain! It makes me think of these bad boys
I don't really see a brain in Musharna. It looks more like a fetus. In general there are quite a number of designs in Gen V that I dislike, but this one is for me personally -for that reason- the worst of them all. Wasn't an easy choice, though.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
I don't really see a brain in Musharna. It looks more like a fetus. In general there are quite a number of designs in Gen V that I dislike, but this one is for me personally -for that reason- the worst of them all. Wasn't an easy choice, though.

Fair enough - that's apparently what they based it on. I guess because I watched Futurama so much I instantly jumped to that. It's also got some basis in a Tapir, which I kinda see. Hope they do another Pokémon based on them though because they're cool.

Mawa

The typo Queen
Years
This list will be hard to make... I love too many Pokemon....
And I have to think about this list in perspective of today instead of doing it like what were my thoughts the first time I played those generations... There's some Pokemon I didn't loved at first but now I do.

Gen 1

Favorite: A lot of them, but my #1 Pokemon is Marowak. I love the desing and the story. It's sad that competitively it isn't better than he is...
Dislike: I'll go with Mr. Mime. Mostly because I hate mimes.

Gen 2

Favorite: I can vote for a lot of them, but I'll go with Grandbull because he's the one I use in my teams now. I lvoe my grandbull. But a while ago I would probably said Typhlosion, Steelix or Feraligatr.
Dislike: Remoraid. Boring and his link with Octillery make no sens. I like Octillery tho. I hav to say if it wasn'T of the Anime Wobbuffet would have lost here.

Gen 3

Favorite: Aggron. I mean, look at that beast.
Dislike: The Regis. Huh.

Gen 4

Favorite: Froslass <3
Dislike: Probopass, but I would say Bonsly too. I am too sensitive to see a cute litle baby crying all the time. Make it stop. It makes me sad. (I could vote for all the legendaries too.....)

Gen 5

Favorite: Sawsbuck. I don't know why I haven't breed one yet tbh.
Dislike: Pattrat and Watchog. I don't really dislike the first rodens except in those games.

Gen 6

Favorite: Espurr. Killer cat. Looks like my cat.
Dislike: Babaracle. OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Gen 7

Favorite: Salazzle
Dislike: Gumshoos' line. See the comment for Pattrat.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 17, 2019
dang each gen okay

gen 1
fav: gengar
dislike: dragonite (looks derpy)

gen 2
fav: crobat/jumpluff
dislike: totodile evolution

gen 3
fav: claydol
dislike: whiSMUR

gen 4
fav: leafeon
dislike: bIDOOF

gen5
fav: purrlion
dslike: bisharp

gen 6
fav: sylveon
dislike: greninja

gen 7
fav: mimikyu
dslike: togedemaru (over the electric rat biz)

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
Years
Gen 1
Favorite: Charizard, my all-time favorite.
Least Favorite: Lickitung, I just don't get it.

Gen 2
Favorite: Crobat, my second favorite.
Least Favorite: Jumpluff (and its prevos), they're mostly useless and they aren't special at all.

Gen 3
Favorite: Blaziken, my second favorite starter.
Least Favorite: Exploud (and prevos), they're kinda just annoying and they're ugly.

Gen 4
Favorite: Garchomp. my favorite Dragon-type.
Least Favorite: Lumineon, it's not a good battler and its fins look like giant ears and that's not a good thing.

Gen 5
Favorite: Volcarona, a bug that can set you on fire is ridiculous.
Least Favorite: Trubbish/Garbodor, seriously, trash?

Gen 6
Favorite: Greninja, a great fighter and look cool doing it (not to mention great in Smash).
Least Favorite: Barbaracle, can someone please tell me what is going on with this thing?

Gen 7
Favorite: Lycanroc Midnight, it's a werewolf and it's a great fighter, what's not to love?
Least Favorite: Drampa, way too derpy.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 3, 2017
dang each gen okay

gen 1
fav: gengar
dislike: dragonite (looks derpy)

gen 2
fav: crobat/jumpluff
dislike: totodile evolution

gen 3
fav: claydol
dislike: whiSMUR

gen 4
fav: leafeon
dislike: bIDOOF

gen5
fav: purrlion
dslike: bisharp

gen 6
fav: sylveon
dislike: greninja

gen 7
fav: mimikyu
dslike: togedemaru (over the electric rat biz)
How does one not love Dragonite? He may be derpy but he is super strong. Reminds me of Lenny from Of mice and men. Just wants to give everyone hugs but accidently murders them. Also I love Bisharps Power Rangeresque vibe.

Eresse

Gladion Trash
Years
Generation 1:
Favorite: Jolteon
Least Favorite: Gloom

Generation 2:
Favorite: Quilava
Least Favorite: Smoochum

Generation 3:
Favorite: Tropius
Least Favorite: Gulpin

Generation 4:
Favorite: Honchcrow
Least Favorite: Magnezone

Generation 5:
Favorite: Sawsbuck
Least Favorite: Pawniard

Generation 6:
Favorite: Aurorus
Least Favorite: Goomy

Generation 7:
Favorite: Mudsdale
Least Favorite: Crabrawler

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 17, 2019
How does one not love Dragonite? He may be derpy but he is super strong. Reminds me of Lenny from Of mice and men. Just wants to give everyone hugs but accidently murders them. Also I love Bisharps Power Rangeresque vibe.

to me, his evolution was a let down
dratini and dragonair are these beautiful serpent-like dragons, and then comes barney.

it's all in personal preference

Years
Damn, fire starters take a battering in the opening post.

Gen I Fav - Raichu
Originally my favourite before I played the second-gen games, it's like a 10x cooler version of Pikachu. Always pissed me off watching that episode were Ash doesn't evolve Pikachu in the anime.
Gen I Least Fav - Wartortle
Really tough choice as I like all Gen I pokémon, but I figured I would have to shift this onto a middle evo. Wartortle has the worst design of any middle evo in the gen and I've never picked Squirtle, so it has to be Wartortle. He's still pretty good though.

Gen II Fav - Typhlosion
All-time favourite, easy choice. Cool design, breezes through Johto gyms, all round great.
Gen II Least Fav - Sunflora
It would have been easy for me to pick one of the baby pokémon as I hate the entire concept of them, but Sunflora is just so ugly. At least Sunkern is cute even if it is useless in battle.

Gen III Fav - Latios
This was a tough choice between a few legendaries, Groudon, Rayquaza or Latias are up there too. I would have probably picked Swampert when I was younger, but I'm not as big a fan of his design these days.
Gen III Least Fav - Silcoon/Cascoon/Illumise/Volbeat
I can't really decide between these as they're all 0/10s. Silcoon & Cascoon are lazy ideas as it is without there being two of them. Illumise & Volbeat are similarly uninspired.

Gen IV Fav - Shaymin
This is primarily for its sky forme, which looks great and has an interesting typing.
Regular Shaymin is nothing special, but sky forme is good enough to take the top spot. I also received a Shaymin on my first internet trade which is a nice memory.

Gen IV Least Fav - Rhyperior
I hate a lot of the evolutions to older pokémon introduced in Gen IV, but this took the cake. Rhydon should clearly be a fully evolved pokémon and it's a well designed one, so this monstrosity is unforgivable. At least Rhydon is better in battle than it thanks to eviolite.

Gen V Fav - Cobalion
This is mainly down to Cobalion doing a one-man job on the Elite Four for me in Black 2. Its design is relatively cool for Gen V, but nothing special when compared to other gens.
Gen V Least Fav - Basculin
This is by far the worst gen for designs which are the most important thing for me to consider, so I could have easily chose a lot of pokémon for this. I think Basculin & Stunfisk are easily the worst of the worst, but I've given to Basculin because A) it's the worst type of overused pokémon design, a crap fish that doesn't evolve. and then B) a lot of people think they've got a shiny by that whole red/blue stripe thing. It hasn't affected me personally, but it's enough to differentiate from Stunfisk.
I feel like this gen's pokemon are so bad, they deserve dishonourable mentions - Emboar, Simisear, entire Roggenrola line, (s)woobat, entire Tympole line, Alomomola, entire Klang line, entire Elektross line. I wish we could just retcon half of the Unova pokédex.

Gen VI Fav - Xerneas
Both of my favourites from this gen are fairy type, Sylveon being second. Xerneas look awesome with his multicolored antlers and is also obviously a handful in battle. I love its set-up move Geomancy.
Gen VI Least Fav - Binacle & Barbaracle
I was tempted to go for the entire Honedge line, but that was because I forgot about these completely forgettable pokémon. Designs look like something straight out of Gen V.
edit: oh good, everyone else hates it too.

Gen VII Fav - Decidueye
The entire evolution line of Decidueye is cool, but Decidueye especially. I can understand why some don't like it because they tried to 'do another Greninja', but personally I think this guy is way better than Greninja.
Gen VII Least Fav - Buzzwole / Celesteela
Ew.

Reading this back, it makes it look like I only like starters & legendaries.

Last edited:

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
My favourite changes over time, but as for now, I fucking love the Araquanid line. Need I say more?

I know my least favourite choice is a popular mon, but I'm saying it anyways, it's Noivern. Sorry, but for some reason, I can't stand Noivern, it's design seems wrong to me.

Back