• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Beginner's Lounge Phase-Out

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
Hello all,

It has come to the attention of the staff members that the Beginner's Lounge forum is no longer serving its intended purpose. Over the past couple of months, we have noticed that the quality of threads has gradually deteriorated and currently, most threads either belong in Team Discussions or would go in Progressing Hacks if they had sufficient progress. The forum has become an inconvenience to moderate and the staff members have agreed that, because it does not contribute much to the Emulation section as a whole, it should be removed.

With that said, we will be phasing out the Beginner's Lounge in much the same way that we did with the Scrapbox back in early 2010: the ability to submit new threads has been disabled and the section will be left open for one month before it will be removed. In that time, feel free to get your threads up to the standards of the Progressing Hacks or Team Discussions forums, depending on where your threads belong. After a month has passed, you will no longer be able to post in any thread in the Beginner's Lounge.

- The Emulation staff

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
Where will the Simple Question/ Map/ Scripting/ Storyline threads be moved once the Beginner's Lounge is closed? I'm assuming that they will be put into the ROM Hacking forum, but I'd like to check.

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
Where will the Simple Question/ Map/ Scripting/ Storyline threads be moved once the Beginner's Lounge is closed? I'm assuming that they will be put into the ROM Hacking forum, but I'd like to check.

Yes, all of the stickied threads will be moved out, probably to the main ROM Hacking forum. Another reason why we wanted to close the Beginner's Lounge forum was because we didn't like the fact that most of the help threads were nestled into a subsubsection. Hopefully having those threads in a more public area will reduce the number of misplaced questions.

kringlur

Velkominn í heim POKéMON!
Years
Where should we post threads like "I have an idea for a hack but need help working out some details before I can start making it"? The "Progressing Hacks" forum seems to only be for hacks that have already started.

marcc5m

what
Years
R.I.P: Crapbox the second.

I remember being one of the people against the phase out for the Scrap Box last year. That was then, this is now, and I really can't wait to see it gone.

Kevin

kevin del rey
Years
I knew this would happen sooner or later. This forum was pretty worthless, in my opinion, so I'm glad to see it end.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 10, 2024
I can see why it is to be removed, and whilst I kinda agree, I must ask what happens if we have a hack/modification that we need some sort of opinion on what to improve before we add to it, or have insufficient progress for Progressing Hacks but enough to see if people would play it?

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
I am actually glad that the Beginner's Lounge is going bye-bye...
Really. This is an annoying place in the Emulation section (other than the stickied threads, however)...
Frankly honest, I like the Emulation section's format before the Beginner's Lounge was ever introduced...

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
I can see why it is to be removed, and whilst I kinda agree, I must ask what happens if we have a hack/modification that we need some sort of opinion on what to improve before we add to it, or have insufficient progress for Progressing Hacks but enough to see if people would play it?

I suggest you post in the Quick Story Line Idea Thread if your idea doesn't have enough progress yet. We may consider making an expanded "Idea Thread" where people can propose their ideas (story-related or not) but I'll have to talk with giradialkia about that first.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 10, 2024
Exactly why this is a good thing; it will encourage people to do some more work on there hack.

In keeping with this, in theory it may also provide an opposite of some people may need help, yet with no thread, people may find it hard to get opinions for things they think will matter, especially if someone is new, as they don't know anyone and feel intimidated to ask. Just saying, as that does happen (and in fact what happened to me to begin)

Just saying, I'm all for the phase out though, yet you need an open mind.

Years
  • Seen Feb 4, 2012
*sigh*, maybe should've submitted my hack thread a week ago, because now i can't, which means i can't get my foot in the door, i haven't made enough progress to put it in the progressing hacks, and i don't have anyone to help me with sprites/tiles... this will be hard... :( so sad to see this go.

LightOfTruth

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 16, 2020
*sigh*, maybe should've submitted my hack thread a week ago, because now i can't, which means i can't get my foot in the door, i haven't made enough progress to put it in the progressing hacks, and i don't have anyone to help me with sprites/tiles... this will be hard... :( so sad to see this go.

There be still be threads to help with some things. But some people get too nervous to post in them :(

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022

Just because you don't have a thread doesn't mean you don't have the ability to share stuff about your hack to other people if they want to know about it. Just don't push it to the brink of advertising - no one wants to hear about your hack if you try to shove it upon them. :(

What I mean is, go talk to people. Get involved in the community. Ask questions. That's how you get your foot in the door, not by having what would likely be a thread that was posted way before it should have been so that it looks mediocre.

Years
There are too many opinions here to quote...

I too have a very specific question that I haven't been able to find an answer for in any of the tutorials I have read, and I've spent several days going through them. :tired:

Where are we, when we don't have a team, or aren't looking for a team, supposed to ask for specific information? The only place that seems appropriate is the Beginner's Lounge.
I'm not looking to share my ideas with anyone, nor do I want to form a "team" for a hack I don't even know will be completed or not; in fact my question will greatly effect whether or not I actually complete my hack idea.

I have asked in the help threads, but I never got any help, and I really don't want to ask a second time and seem annoying, and it also makes it hard to update and tell those who are actually interested in helping when I have made progress in my problems.

The Team Discussion forum, as in the Team Recruitment Thread doesn't seem appropriate for those who just want an answer for a few specified question, but don't want to fight with the endless other questions in the Simple Questions thread.

To condense my rant, where are we supposed to post our personal help question threads?

kringlur

Velkominn í heim POKéMON!
Years
I too have a very specific question that I haven't been able to find an answer for in any of the tutorials I have read, and I've spent several days going through them. :tired:

Where are we, when we don't have a team, or aren't looking for a team, supposed to ask for specific information?

I have asked in the help threads, but I never got any help, and I really don't want to ask a second time and seem annoying, and it also makes it hard to update and tell those who are actually interested in helping when I have made progress in my problems.

I agree with this in that I'm not looking for a team and my questions almost always go unanswered in the question threads because I'm using Gen I and not the newer generations. The questions stop me from progressing to the point where I could put it in a "progressing hack" thread. If I posted in a team help section, people would want to actually work on the game with me, which I don't want.

Off-topic question: Why aren't the hack forums separated into generations?

Back