• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Should I collect every sealed pack from every set?

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Feb 19, 2017
Okay so I've finally decided I want to put a bit of money into an amazing investment, Which is SEALED Booster packs. (I would collect all sealed boxes but they run up to £100k + haha).
So basically I am in need of some experienced collectors opinions on what I should put my money into.
I have two general ideas, The first is to buy every single sealed pack art from each set including every set to come out in the future, and frame/seal them and keep them for many years to come of which there price will DRAMATICALLY increase on each pack obviously. OR...Would a better idea be to just simply collect as many sealed Base Set booster packs as I can over the years. Say I have a bit of money spare, just pick up a couple of base set booster and by a few years I should have a very decent amount of them sealed.
Which would you think would be better/bring more value in the future?
Cause I know Base sets are around £50 a pack right now, so in 10 years surely be around £100+ a pack!?
Or from a collectors stand point Would collecting 1 of every single pack from each set bring more value in the future?
Please let me know, I know this isn't all about money as either options would be insanely cool to have, However Imagine in 20 years I'll have a massive smile on my face from the investment I started now, as it really is an investment the revenue these packs are bringing in now.
One more thing, is there a possibility this could be a waste of time/money? Will there ever be a time these packs are useless? I can't see it, as there is only evidence of them rising in price?
Thank you!

Years
Okay so I've finally decided I want to put a bit of money into an amazing investment, Which is SEALED Booster packs. (I would collect all sealed boxes but they run up to £100k + haha).
So basically I am in need of some experienced collectors opinions on what I should put my money into.
I have two general ideas, The first is to buy every single sealed pack art from each set including every set to come out in the future, and frame/seal them and keep them for many years to come of which there price will DRAMATICALLY increase on each pack obviously. OR...Would a better idea be to just simply collect as many sealed Base Set booster packs as I can over the years. Say I have a bit of money spare, just pick up a couple of base set booster and by a few years I should have a very decent amount of them sealed.
Which would you think would be better/bring more value in the future?
Cause I know Base sets are around £50 a pack right now, so in 10 years surely be around £100+ a pack!?
Or from a collectors stand point Would collecting 1 of every single pack from each set bring more value in the future?
Please let me know, I know this isn't all about money as either options would be insanely cool to have, However Imagine in 20 years I'll have a massive smile on my face from the investment I started now, as it really is an investment the revenue these packs are bringing in now.
One more thing, is there a possibility this could be a waste of time/money? Will there ever be a time these packs are useless? I can't see it, as there is only evidence of them rising in price?
Thank you!

Unfortunately, the increases pack values aren't linear enough to say that they'll double in value. Remember, it's been 17 years since we got an English release of the earliest sets of the TCG.

The sealed packs rise in value is also likely to be very gradual overall (and also very erratic), so your payoff would be further down the line than just 10 years out.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Feb 19, 2017
That makes no sense, Yes it's been 17 years, but by each year that goes from from this point on hundreds of Base set boxes and thousands of boosters will be opened in just 3017, Meaning the Base Set is becoming INCREDIBLY fast extinct. That's why there's value, because Imagine in 10 years, there will probably be a mere 100-200 Sealed 1st edition BS Boxes. That's crazy, And to the collectors who want it most, and judging by some of the collectors I've seen that have put so much money I'm guessing them boxes will easily be snapped up for £30k, as they are about £5k for a 1st edition now never mind 10 years where there will be thinned out drastically more.
Obviously not the newer sets but the wizards of the coast sets, 3 years ago i could get a unlimited fossil box for £250 now they are around £1k sealed.

Years
That makes no sense, Yes it's been 17 years, but by each year that goes from from this point on hundreds of Base set boxes and thousands of boosters will be opened in just 3017, Meaning the Base Set is becoming INCREDIBLY fast extinct. That's why there's value, because Imagine in 10 years, there will probably be a mere 100-200 Sealed 1st edition BS Boxes. That's crazy, And to the collectors who want it most, and judging by some of the collectors I've seen that have put so much money I'm guessing them boxes will easily be snapped up for £30k, as they are about £5k for a 1st edition now never mind 10 years where there will be thinned out drastically more.
Obviously not the newer sets but the wizards of the coast sets, 3 years ago i could get a unlimited fossil box for £250 now they are around £1k sealed.

I'm not really sold on your idea, and I don't think you should be getting your hopes up. Before this last year, they were basically static in value over the previous 7 years.

They've pretty much exclusively gone up in price in the last year because of the 20th anniversary surge, and because of some fake videos that vastly overstated the values of tons of cards that were in circulation last summer that everyone who hadn't been collecting for years actually believed (I'm still pissed at whoever made those, btw). That surge from the 20th anniversary will likely die out, and the market should correct itself from those videos eventually, whether that's prices dropping or just staying level.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Sep 16, 2017
I'm not really sold on your idea, and I don't think you should be getting your hopes up. Before this last year, they were basically static in value over the previous 7 years.

They've pretty much exclusively gone up in price in the last year because of the 20th anniversary surge, and because of some fake videos that vastly overstated the values of tons of cards that were in circulation last summer that everyone who hadn't been collecting for years actually believed (I'm still pissed at whoever made those, btw). That surge from the 20th anniversary will likely die out, and the market should correct itself from those videos eventually, whether that's prices dropping or just staying level.

I agree with this. By buying those boxes you're under the assumption Pokemon will stay relevant. How many other TCG games have stayed relevant over the years? I remember Yugioh was huge when I was a kid and now I don't know anyone who collects them. If pokemon made a big mistake they could lose a ton of value fairly fast. Also, the 20th anniversary as donnavannj stated made a pretty big surge in people getting back into it I'm not sure what the prices were before but I know for a fact people raised prices on a lot of cards since it came out.

Back