• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Greatest Pokemon Designed in Gen 1

Years
I'm a Pokemon Youtuber and I want to make a video on what the die hard "genwunners" thought was the bes cosmetically designed Pokemon of the first generation. Leave a well reasoned comment and you could be featured in my video! Make sure to subscribe so you dont miss your appearance though! Simply search Kanto Critic on Youtube!

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jan 3, 2020
Hey I'm a Poketuber too! I'd pick vaporeon. It's such a unique pokemon design yet so simple as it's based on many things such as a mermaid due to the tail. And it also has that Elizabethean regal on its neck

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
Years
Hard to say, most of the Pokemon I like are from later generations, but I do like Arcanine and Vulpix and think they have good designs.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Online now
My favorite designs are Nidoking and Slowbro. Nidoking looks like a real monster, and I like how Slowbro has Shellder on it's tail.

LadyJirachu

Fluffy and Elegant :3
Years
Pikachu, Eevee, Flareon, Mew, Clefairy, Jigglypuff, Raichu, the starter lines, dratini's line.

I like the designs for these :3

icycatelf

Alex
Years
I always thought Wartortle had a really cool design, so much that I consider it my favorite aesthetically over all Pokémon (not just Gen. I). However, I did learn recently that it wasn't quite as creative as I once thought. I've known for a while that it was based on Minogame, the legendary Turtle of Longevity, but I'd never seen the creature depicted with ears (one of the things I thought made Wartortle unique) until I stumbled upon this painting from the Edo period:

56_121_2_162292.jpg
250px-008Wartortle.png

I still love it, but I don't know if I could truly say that it has the best design when factoring-in originality.

I also enjoy Sandslash, Lickitung, Lapras, Dragonair, and Meowth.

Last edited:

Cool_Porygon

Lurking in the shadows
Years
I liked the simplicity of many gen 1 designs. My favourites overall were many of the fire-types; Charizard, Arcanine, Ninetales, Rapidash, Flareon, Moltres.

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
Years
I'm sentimental over all of them, haha. Particular favourites are Eevee (+ evolutions), Articuno, Mewtwo, Lapras, Scyther, Persian, Ponyta, Vulpix + Ninetales, Nidorina, Clefairy, Sandshrew, and the starters. ❤️

Years
i love bulbasaur. it's just adorable!!

shoutouts to dewgong, clefairy/clefable, vulpix/ninetales, eevee and evos, and lapras.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Nov 1, 2023
You've given some of us (me) quiet the challenge!

In all honesty, Gen 1 is my least favorite gen. Some of the monsters are based on real-life animals, but that doesn't really settle with me because I prefer something more..inorganic as you may call it.

However, despite its shortcomings when a Gen 1 mon is good, it's really good. The first eveelutions are probably in that category. All of these pokemon come from one source yet they still look so unique. None of them look like the other and for a series that has almost 800 mons, that's super impressive they're able to have a lot of creativity with one pokemon.

My favorite hands down is Vaporeon, the scales and fins and cool blues really add onto the aquatic feel. That doesn't make Jolteon or Flareon bad by any means though. Jolteon is really spikey, but it's saturated yellows and high contrast of black really makes it stand out as "fast". As for Flareon, other than being the cutest, fluffiest eevelutions out there, it looks like a flame with the nice dull oranges.

I love them all really, but some gen 1 Pokemon are really that good.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
Obviously the sentient hard shelled vagina that is Cloyster is clearly the epidomy of design mastery.

Back