• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Kernow Edition - Help Wanted!

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jul 9, 2018
Hey :)

I've started to create my own Pokémon FireRed hack called Pokémon Kernow Edition, and I would really appreciate it if I could possibly get some help in making it! I already have the main storyline set out and I'm currently working on a basic map idea and a Regional Pokédex, but I think I will need some considerable help in the follow aspects of the game:
  • Scripting - I'm terribly at intricate techy language stuff. I understand hexadecimal numbering but when it comes to scripting, that's it apart from the obvious unfortunately.
  • Making Sprites and general Art - I'm an awful artist. I've done a basic map concept which I would like to stick to but for things such as special sprites, I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me!

I'm going to post the working draft story content I've come up with to go with the story:

The hack is based in the Kernow Region, which is based off of the real-life county of Cornwall in South West England. Cornwall is a place full of stunning natural landscapes and culture and history, so a lot of this will be based of off real life to a certain extent. Obviously, there will be some differences, such as terrain 'types' (desert etc) to fit better with a Pokémon game.

The game itself will be set some time in the future, around the year 2090. The backstory will start from around 40 years before this, where a series of what were thought to be natural disasters and phenomena permanently distorted Kernow's landscape and the Pokémon that could be found there. Numerous towns were destroyed, and many people who survived in the affected areas soon moved to the less affected bigger cities. For another 30 years, the region was relatively calm, until 10 years before the setting of the game, where more disasters hit more inland, major settlements. One of these was where our main characters lived with their parents. It is thought that both parents perished in the disaster that turned the settlement into Lake Camborne in the centre of the region - named after the city that was previously there. So, our character now lives with their maternal grandfather and elder sister in the small town of Liskeard, in the North-East. (IRL, North and South don't quite work as they should in Cornwall - 'North' usually means North-East or what is technically the East of the County) In the present time, our character is now 16 years old, and is ready to travel around the region to fight the Kernow League. However, in recent years, radicals from the neighbouring Devonia Region (IRL Shire of Devon) have been pouring into Kernow, with many believing they are there to try and take over. This militia call themselves Team Dumnon, after the ancient tribes that settled the area they hail from, and will play a very major role in the story.

Without giving too much away, that's a rough outline of the game's story. I have more written down, but don't wish to reveal it all publicly just yet.

So, if I've interested you in helping out, feel free to drop a post here letting me know if, how and why you'd like to help! I can give more information to anyone who'd like to know, but this will be privately.

Thank you! DP1811 :)

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jul 22, 2019
Scripting and spriting is basically 90% of the ROM hack. You should probably take the time to learn one or the other or else it's really not going to be something you created.

As far as sprites, Pokecommunity has a ton of incredibly helpful sprite resources all the way up to gen 7 Pokemon. That should be immensely helpful unless you're trying to use fakemons of course.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jul 9, 2018
Scripting and spriting is basically 90% of the ROM hack. You should probably take the time to learn one or the other or else it's really not going to be something you created.

I didn't realise just how important these two aspects were to start with, but now I've realised. Don't know why I didn't think they would be. Guess I'd better start teaching myself lol

Back