• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Dragon Ball Super

ソラ

Im gonna be the King of the Pirates
Years
Each has its own charm. I found DBZ more interesting, yet Dragon Ball owns my heart since day one :)

Yeah, for the humor, and lightheart side of the Dragon Ball series, i prefer DB, but for the action packed awesomeness I like Z/Kai.

The manga (in japan that is) it just all Dragon Ball, no Z, they created Z for the anime, after Goku Defeated Piccolo, Idk why the name change for the anime.

GT as an anime original was mehhhhh, wasnt too good. I watched it in Japanese of a international Channel I had, no subtitles. so I didnt understand nothing! haha, then the english version came out, and it was all over the place. it was horrific!

I have very high hopes for Dragon Ball Super, since Toriyama is heavily involved with the story and character designs. Toriyama is my favorite Mangaka/Artist. His style may seem simple for some people but Ive always loved it. I can't wait!

Klippy

L E G E N D of
Years
DB, DBZ, and DBGT are staples of my childhood. I absolutely love the entire series, even GT was crazy cool to me growing up. Even if they're doing away with GT, I am SO pumped for more Dragon Ball. :)

Nathan

Blade of Justice
Years
I can't believe it, feels :')
This was my childhood, I'm so pumped for it!

Klippy

L E G E N D of
Years
I thought on it some more and I really don't remember GT being that bad. It was different, sure, but I still liked it mostly.

My one huge complaint with GT (and even later Z stuff) is that Gohan and the others became less relevant. Gohan was supposed to be some prodigy child capable of whooping Cell, but they really just dropped the ball on his character around the time he became Great Saiyaman. I never liked that.

As long as Pan, Uub, and Majin Buu (fat) return and characters like Trunks, Gohan, and Goten (Piccolo too) don't become further relegated to the bleachers, I'll be happy.

Lucid

I never really understand why so many people admonished against GT, or generally speak poorly of it. Ok, I get it. Baby Saga was kinda bullshit because Vegeta was out for nearly the entire Saga, Super 17-era was just dumb, and the only time the series picked up story-line wise was with Omega Shenron. Ok, I get that. But doing away with the story in particular for a moment, I enjoyed DGBT for the fights, even if some of them were just flat out Goku being dumb (super 17 saga and some of baby saga I think), but idk, there's something about SS4 that just made watching GT much more worthwhile.

I do wish the other characters got a bit more screentime, though. I mean, it was pretty much all about Goku, and it only surrounded Vegeta towards the end. Such a shame, though.

Anyway...

Count me in as one of those people who are looking forward to DB Super! It's nice to know that one of my childhood anime series is making a return, and hopefully it's going to be worthwhile. If it's like any DBZ series, it most likely will be. n_n

Watch Dragonball or Just DBZ a while and then rewatch GT. I'm not even joking, you'll see the diffrence and why everyone hates on it.

Lucid

The thing is, I have watched every saga of DBZ again and then some (I remember most of Dragonball, but not as much). Again, I realize that the complete lack of story, direction, and general favoritism towards Goku is a large reason why it's distasteful, but what I'm saying is that it's not all that bad, y'know? Maybe I just don't pay attention to whatever plot DBGT has or lacks, and focus more on the fights themselves, in which to be fairly honest, stand out in their own right, even if 95% of the time it's Goku against x Shenron or x person and no one else. The only part of DBGT I really disliked was the Super 17 Saga for obvious reasons.

Watch all of it. Like side by side with the other series and compare it. The first part of the series turned him into a kid for a while and there were a time of comedy episodes focused around that or stupid shit. I didn't like those dragon episodes either, they could of done so much more with them. But personally, I disliked what they did with Pan and other characters, that robot sucked ass. The pacing was weird and so was bringing 17 back as a villain. As I said before, they made a bunch of characters useless and the whole thing just comes off poorly written and animated in comparison.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
After "Battle of the Gods", I trust DB to create something worth watching. That movie was so funny. And maybe the F movie will be just as good.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
The thing is, I have watched every saga of DBZ again and then some (I remember most of Dragonball, but not as much). Again, I realize that the complete lack of story, direction, and general favoritism towards Goku is a large reason why it's distasteful, but what I'm saying is that it's not all that bad, y'know? Maybe I just don't pay attention to whatever plot DBGT has or lacks, and focus more on the fights themselves, in which to be fairly honest, stand out in their own right, even if 95% of the time it's Goku against x Shenron or x person and no one else. The only part of DBGT I really disliked was the Super 17 Saga for obvious reasons.
Goku getting turned into a kid wasn't the main reason people didn't like the show.

Put simply, the show had no soul. By this, I mean that there was a lot of pointless stuff for the sake of being pointless. As for why these exist, that's pretty simple: they weren't meant to be pointless, but instead they were trying to channel the spirit of Dragon Ball. DB was adventurous and fun, and by dialing Goku back and using the novice Pan and engineer Trunks, they would be given the freedom to go on wacky and zany adventures like the old days...right?

Well...not really. Because Goku was still capable of destroying worlds, and Pan and Trunks, were pretty damn strong. Apart from that, it didn't really draw from anything. Dragon Ball was a story that was based off of the Chinese epic "The Journey to the West" (or Saiyuki, in Japanese). This is important, because this presents the backbone for why Dragon Ball set out to be so adventurous in the first place. It was a zany (if not serious at times) romp filled with mythologies and the like, headed by a cast of diverse characters. And there's the biggest problem: the characters.

I'm not gonna sit here and say that Dragon Ball as a series has the greatest characters, because I don't believe that to be the case, but by God...in GT I just don't care. Really, I don't know how they did it, but the characters in GT- which have had years of development and establishment- are just so downright boring, largely due to most of the main cast's relegation to the bench, but even Goku, Pan (oh God, Pan), and Trunks are boring in this, and Giru.

Giru, please.

Giru stop, I beg of you.

And I think this is the case because Dragon Ball GT- in pretty much every way- never had a solid idea of exactly what it wanted to be. It was supposed to be some sort of combination of Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z, and that was very easily apparent, but was it one? Well...it tried to be. But its two greatest faults in this were that it both left out some of the key things that made these shows what they were and that there was quite the dissonance when trying to blend the two. In the case of the former, it had the adventuring of Dragon Ball, but it didn't try to invoke the sense of discovery and new that you got simply by watching the opening to Dragon Ball. New characters? What are those? Mysteries, Legends, and aesthetically interesting locations? Well, we got planets with plot convenient characteristics and the concrete jungle of Earth, so there's that. Zany and cookey misadventures that still grant a sense of progression in some sense? Well...yeah, let's go with that.

In that sense, it will have caught the eye of Dragon Ball fans, but their fancy? Eh...well, they might watch to see how it ends. In the case of the latter, it has the fights, but you aren't really given any reason to care except maybe in the case of Baby. Possibly. But the problem with Baby is that his story already happened once. But the difference between Baby, a character with a tragic backstory and a somewhat justifiable reason for doing what he does and, say, Frieza, a character with absolutely no past and that just enslaves people for shits and gigs is that, in the case of the latter, I care about what's at stake.

I mean, the idea that Baby will revive the Tuffle race through the Saiyans is pretty dark and twisted, I'll give it that, but...who is this? What is this thing? They cease to exist if he succeeds? Oh...why should I care? Last I checked, that man in the second picture only had about a scene in this show, and Gohan Goten in the first pic was still riding off of the coattails of what Toriyama wrote at the end of Z. But where's the character? I know I spent time with these characters in Z, but the Vegeta of GT is not the Vegeta of Z. These characters have changed, but when you show snippets of personality but never ultimately cultivate actual ones, how am I to get invested? In Z, when Vegeta is done in by Frieza, it hurts. It hurts because we followed this character on a journey, and watched him slowly change all the while clinging to his pride to the very end. But I never felt anything like that in GT. I don't know GT Vegeta, and I've yet to see a reason why Pan dying would be anything other than unfortunate. In GT, they seem more like players in the story rather than the sculptors of it, and in execution, especially here, it doesn't work out well.

As for the other point...eh, I've been rambling. But I'll just say that there are a number of times where the show tries to be adventurous like DB and, for the sake of it, makes the characters seem a lot weaker and less able than they actually are because plot convenience, which can take the viewer out of the show if they know how much the characters are actually capable of, which goes back to my original point of pointlessness. Things happening only to try to emulate the spirit of adventure without successfully conjuring it.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019
I Just hope Goku will finally get another new form that will allow him to kick every Superman butt from Every universe and Punch ''Superman Prime'' out of existence.
I always hated how Superman has an advantage over Goku because He get rewritten by multiple Writer giving him more power.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Goku getting turned into a kid wasn't the main reason people didn't like the show.

Put simply, the show had no soul. By this, I mean that there was a lot of pointless stuff for the sake of being pointless. As for why these exist, that's pretty simple: they weren't meant to be pointless, but instead they were trying to channel the spirit of Dragon Ball. DB was adventurous and fun, and by dialing Goku back and using the novice Pan and engineer Trunks, they would be given the freedom to go on wacky and zany adventures like the old days...right?

Well...not really. Because Goku was still capable of destroying worlds, and Pan and Trunks, were pretty damn strong. Apart from that, it didn't really draw from anything. Dragon Ball was a story that was based off of the Chinese epic "The Journey to the West" (or Saiyuki, in Japanese). This is important, because this presents the backbone for why Dragon Ball set out to be so adventurous in the first place. It was a zany (if not serious at times) romp filled with mythologies and the like, headed by a cast of diverse characters. And there's the biggest problem: the characters.

I'm not gonna sit here and say that Dragon Ball as a series has the greatest characters, because I don't believe that to be the case, but by God...in GT I just don't care. Really, I don't know how they did it, but the characters in GT- which have had years of development and establishment- are just so downright boring, largely due to most of the main cast's relegation to the bench, but even Goku, Pan (oh God, Pan), and Trunks are boring in this, and Giru.

Giru, please.

Giru stop, I beg of you.

And I think this is the case because Dragon Ball GT- in pretty much every way- never had a solid idea of exactly what it wanted to be. It was supposed to be some sort of combination of Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z, and that was very easily apparent, but was it one? Well...it tried to be. But its two greatest faults in this were that it both left out some of the key things that made these shows what they were and that there was quite the dissonance when trying to blend the two. In the case of the former, it had the adventuring of Dragon Ball, but it didn't try to invoke the sense of discovery and new that you got simply by watching the opening to Dragon Ball. New characters? What are those? Mysteries, Legends, and aesthetically interesting locations? Well, we got planets with plot convenient characteristics and the concrete jungle of Earth, so there's that. Zany and cookey misadventures that still grant a sense of progression in some sense? Well...yeah, let's go with that.

In that sense, it will have caught the eye of Dragon Ball fans, but their fancy? Eh...well, they might watch to see how it ends. In the case of the latter, it has the fights, but you aren't really given any reason to care except maybe in the case of Baby. Possibly. But the problem with Baby is that his story already happened once. But the difference between Baby, a character with a tragic backstory and a somewhat justifiable reason for doing what he does and, say, Frieza, a character with absolutely no past and that just enslaves people for muks and gigs is that, in the case of the latter, I care about what's at stake.

I mean, the idea that Baby will revive the Tuffle race through the Saiyans is pretty dark and twisted, I'll give it that, but...who is this? What is this thing? They cease to exist if he succeeds? Oh...why should I care? Last I checked, that man in the second picture only had about a scene in this show, and Gohan Goten in the first pic was still riding off of the coattails of what Toriyama wrote at the end of Z. But where's the character? I know I spent time with these characters in Z, but the Vegeta of GT is not the Vegeta of Z. These characters have changed, but when you show snippets of personality but never ultimately cultivate actual ones, how am I to get invested? In Z, when Vegeta is done in by Frieza, it hurts. It hurts because we followed this character on a journey, and watched him slowly change all the while clinging to his pride to the very end. But I never felt anything like that in GT. I don't know GT Vegeta, and I've yet to see a reason why Pan dying would be anything other than unfortunate. In GT, they seem more like players in the story rather than the sculptors of it, and in execution, especially here, it doesn't work out well.

As for the other point...eh, I've been rambling. But I'll just say that there are a number of times where the show tries to be adventurous like DB and, for the sake of it, makes the characters seem a lot weaker and less able than they actually are because plot convenience, which can take the viewer out of the show if they know how much the characters are actually capable of, which goes back to my original point of pointlessness. Things happening only to try to emulate the spirit of adventure without successfully conjuring it.

Let's not forget the various plot holes and negative continuity GT had which contradicted previous lore in both DB and DBZ.

I Just hope Goku will finally get another new form that will allow him to kick every Superman butt from Every universe and Punch ''Superman Prime'' out of existence.
I always hated how Superman has an advantage over Goku because He get rewritten by multiple Writer giving him more power.

I take it you were butthurt about Screwattack's Death Battle between the two powerhouses 2 years ago?

Emolga91

A wild Emolga appeared!
Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Jun 18, 2015
As a big DBZ fan I'm excited for this but then I kind of want it to stop. I just want it to stay the gem I remeber it and for them not to introduce bs villains that overpower them again for the sake of trying to give gold co more power up forms in which to sell more games to sell more merchandise etc etc. il stick with super sayian 2 for now....(granted SS3 power up in front of buu was amazing)

I will still watch it to see how it goes

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
Years
I just hope they don't push it back just like Digimon... Q__Q

Ontopic, I'm not very fond of dubs, but I hope they dub this ASAP

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 8, 2016
It really depends on how Toriyamas sense of entertaiment is. He was the most entertaining Mangaka in his time. He put humor and epic action in his work. It is really hard to make a new series which comes close to DB without dissapointing the fans.
For me BoG was DB worthy. I haven´t see RoF yet.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
It really depends on how Toriyamas sense of entertaiment is. He was the most entertaining Mangaka in his time. He put humor and epic action in his work. It is really hard to make a new series which comes close to DB without dissapointing the fans.
For me BoG was DB worthy. I haven´t see RoF yet.
I don't think it'll be too difficult. After all, considering this is an anime original, I don't see this show having many of the same problems that DBZ (as an anime) did, and I can't see it following the same formula, either. Ultimately, if people are made unhappy, it's probably for the better, but the more I think of it the quicker I realize that it doesn't really have anything to live up to, it simply has to be better than GT.

Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019
I take it you were butthurt about Screwattack's Death Battle between the two powerhouses 2 years ago?

Then entire video was made by a Superman fanboy so off course he let Superman win!
He also ignored Superman's vulnerability to Ki and made ''Heat Blast'' at the same level as a Planet destroying ''Kamahameha'' !
The Strongest version of Superman's ''Heat Blast'' is call ''Solar Flare'' But if Superman use it then he loses his power for a Day for using all his Solar energy.
If I know correctly , Superman was beaten by ''Karate Kid'' with no Super power and he bypass Superman's invulnerability with Ki-enforce Punchs ! So How could Goku lose so easily to Superman when Goku already process Super-strength due to his Sayan inheritance which get stronger with his Ki ?

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Then entire video was made by a Superman fanboy so off course he let Superman win!
He also ignored Superman's vulnerability to Ki and made ''Heat Blast'' at the same level as a Planet destroying ''Kamahameha'' !
The Strongest version of Superman's ''Heat Blast'' is call ''Solar Flare'' But if Superman use it then he loses his power for a Day for using all his Solar energy.
If I know correctly , Superman was beaten by ''Karate Kid'' with no Super power and he bypass Superman's invulnerability with Ki-enforce Punchs ! So How could Goku lose so easily to Superman when Goku already process Super-strength due to his Sayan inheritance which get stronger with his Ki ?
It's because Superman's strength is situational. As is said in the video, Superman is "as strong as he needs to be," which is basically a way of saying that they don't really need to think out his strengths and weaknesses or the extent of his abilities, it'll all just depend on what the story demands.

So you can understand why so many people don't like Superman.

Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019
I'm actually looking forward to see Bulla !
Just imagine Vegeta being a Doting Daddy to his little Girl !
Speaking of which , Where is she ?
I know she's canon since she appeared along side Pan at the final DBZ episode.

It's because Superman's strength is situational. As is said in the video, Superman is "as strong as he needs to be," which is basically a way of saying that they don't really need to think out his strengths and weaknesses or the extent of his abilities, it'll all just depend on what the story demands.

So you can understand why so many people don't like Superman.

Its just that some people think Goku doesn't stand a chance against Superman because he can move planet.
Yet , They totally ignored that Pre-crisis Karate Kid beat Pre-crisis Superman ! A man with no super power able to hurt the invincible Pre-crisis Superman with Karate.
Compare to that , Goku is a trained martial artist So comparing him with Superman is as comparing a Super-powered Pre-crisis Karate Kid with Pre-crisis Superman.
Also , They boost about how Superman can survive Supernova So he won't be harm even if Kid Buu destroys a whole Solar System .
However , They miss the fact that if Buu destroys the entire Solar System then there won't be any ''Sun''.
And Superman is worthless without the ''Sun'' charging him! He can move planet , shatter time & Space and survive Supernova as long as he has a ''Sun'' to charge him.

Back