Pokémon Anime Are you a regular watcher of the Pokémon Anime and its Movies or just an old fan? Come here, and take part in all the various ongoing discussions about the Pokémon Anime.

View Poll Results:

Your fave Ash Ketchum design?

Original series

12 29.27%

Advanced Generation series

6 14.63%

Diamond & Pearl series

4 9.76%

Best Wishes series

1 2.44%

XY series

15 36.59%

Sun & Moon series

3 7.32%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 12th, 2017 (4:19 AM).

Nature: Careful

DP had that one yellow stripe of eyesore, yellow was previously used as an accent color to bring out the details, but looks out of place here surrounded by black to which it doesn't blend. Having another smaller stripe like the one in Advanced generation would help a lot.

Only two things are infinite, human stupidity and amount of Zubats that can live in a same cave, and I'm not sure about the former.
    -Me few seconds ago

Relevant Advertising!

Old June 14th, 2017 (2:20 PM).
    Pokemon

I went for the Original series of Pokemon.

Old July 13th, 2017 (5:26 AM).

see meee?

• Platinum Tier
      • EOEvent Organizer

Nature: Quirky

Quote:
      Originally Posted by CidHazard View Post
      It's tied between his Advanced and XY outfits... I slightly lean on the XY design Satoshi just looks so damn cool in XY.

I feel AG was probably the most comfortable-looking one, but at the same time it's also not extremely lazy like SM (aka completely ripped from the games with barely any attempt at different accents) which would have been the only other comfortable-fitting Ash outfit contender.

pair | tumblr | twitter | poketrivia | us/um | ama | supporter

Old July 13th, 2017 (9:10 AM).
      Frazbear

El mejor diseño de ash a mi parecer es el de la pelicula I Chose You

Old July 13th, 2017 (11:52 AM).

Dying of the Light

• Super Moderator
        • Platinum Tier
        • Social Media
        • Discord Moderoid

Nature: Naive

Quote:
        Originally Posted by Cesar11B View Post
        El mejor diseño de ash a mi parecer es el de la pelicula I Chose You
        Hey, unfortunately this is an English website - we don't speak Spanish and we don't allow people to post in other languages than English since if they did, we couldn't make sure that the text is appropriate, and the majority could not participate.

I'm very sorry, but I hope you will return if you learn some more English

Old July 14th, 2017 (12:41 AM).
        Banned

Nature: Lonely

All ash designs except SM are awesome. SM design is garbage.

Old July 17th, 2017 (1:16 PM).

The Original series look fit him the most and it is a classic.

Old July 18th, 2017 (7:52 PM).
            What a bother

Nature: Calm

Before the clean and sleek style they gave him in the XY series, my favorite was his Advance Generation outfit.

You serious, bruh?

Old July 18th, 2017 (10:17 PM).

Nature: Relaxed

It was a tough call for me when picking my #1 choice but I ultimately decided on Diamond and Pearl. XY was a very close 2nd, with AG, OS and BW rounding out my top 5. If you look at his AG and DP designs, they're incredibly similar in nature with the only difference being a change in his shirt/vest and a minor color change in his hat. His XY design looks to be the most mature(which is probably a sign that we wish Ash wasn't a 10 year old) and his SM design looks flat/uninspired(possibly due to a change in art design... or the fact its been 20 years and its time to put the anime out of its misery...).

Anyways DP is now getting some much deserved love.

Old 4 Weeks Ago (1:53 AM).

see meee?

• Platinum Tier
                • EOEvent Organizer

Quote:
                Originally Posted by CodeHelmet View Post
                It was a tough call for me when picking my #1 choice but I ultimately decided on Diamond and Pearl. XY was a very close 2nd, with AG, OS and BW rounding out my top 5. If you look at his AG and DP designs, they're incredibly similar in nature with the only difference being a change in his shirt/vest and a minor color change in his hat. His XY design looks to be the most mature(which is probably a sign that we wish Ash wasn't a 10 year old) and his SM design looks flat/uninspired(possibly due to a change in art design... or the fact its been 20 years and its time to put the anime out of its misery...).

Anyways DP is now getting some much deserved love.

I admit DP was a cross between badass and simple while not being too monotone which was a problem the XY outfit had by being way too much blue. SM being uninspired is not because of the art style, but likely because it literally was copy-and-pasted from the games.

In fact, Ash's SM outfit is literally the exact same getup that this guy is wearing. The only differences are Ash's shirt colours being inverted and the hat being red, the shorts, bag and shoes are literally unchanged. It's just so cringy when you look at it, because I hate laziness when it comes to Ash's regional outfits. I can get the climate of Alola would make sense for Ash having shorts and no gloves, but not to this extent.

Old 4 Weeks Ago (8:48 AM).

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Hikamaru View Post
                  I admit DP was a cross between badass and simple while not being too monotone which was a problem the XY outfit had by being way too much blue. SM being uninspired is not because of the art style, but likely because it literally was copy-and-pasted from the games.

In fact, Ash's SM outfit is literally the exact same getup that this guy is wearing. The only differences are Ash's shirt colours being inverted and the hat being red, the shorts, bag and shoes are literally unchanged. It's just so cringy when you look at it, because I hate laziness when it comes to Ash's regional outfits. I can get the climate of Alola would make sense for Ash having shorts and no gloves, but not to this extent.

Ash has always had a lot of Blue in his outfits. His original setup started it off, with AG continuing it. DP(which I voted for) was a noticeable change that brought in a bit more Black or dark Navy Blue that contrasted well with the rest of his outfit. BW brought back the Blue(albeit contrasted with a lot of white(like he's fresh to the scene again)) before the traditional Blue look being brought back in XY(which I think was to pay homage to the OS like the XY theme). Then you get SM and yeah... it's definitely similar to the game set-up. Call it a cut and paste with some color changes.

I mean if they're that lazy with SM, could you imagine what a past character would look like in the SM anime if they were to return? Almost makes you not want them to come back for just that reason alone.

Old 4 Weeks Ago (9:04 AM).
                  Charmander!

Original.

How many Charmanders does it take to melt steel beams?

Old 4 Weeks Ago (12:45 PM).
                    I'm kewl

Nature: Gentle

Advanced generation

Old 4 Weeks Ago (8:10 PM).
                      Banned

Nature: Lonely

I voted for original but i like his other styles. Not SM design though. They really messed up the way he looks. His facial expressions in SM is just awful to witness.

Old 3 Weeks Ago (7:34 PM).

Quote:

While SM is the most blatant case, this has basically been the deal with *all* of Ash's outfits since DP:

Ever wondered why the male PCs never appear on the show outside of minor cameos? Because Ash is literally filling in their role, hence him wearing their clothes.

(As an aside, this is likely also why the male PCs themselves have looked very boring and samey since Gen 4. They're basically being designed to be new outfits for Ash, so they all have to have Ash's color scheme and be at least somewhat based on Red, if not an outright clone of him.)

Old 3 Weeks Ago (10:35 PM).

see meee?

• Platinum Tier
                          • EOEvent Organizer

Quote:
                          Originally Posted by BettyNewbie View Post
                          While SM is the most blatant case, this has basically been the deal with *all* of Ash's outfits since DP:

Ever wondered why the male PCs never appear on the show outside of minor cameos? Because Ash is literally filling in their role, hence him wearing their clothes.

(As an aside, this is likely also why the male PCs themselves have looked very boring and samey since Gen 4. They're basically being designed to be new outfits for Ash, so they all have to have Ash's color scheme and be at least somewhat based on Red, if not an outright clone of him.)

It is definitely sad that the anime is to blame for male protagonist designs getting worse every generation. AG was probably the only truly unique Ash outfit when you look at it, since it was a hoodie and not a long-sleeved coat.

Old 3 Weeks Ago (10:58 PM).

A resonating melody ♫

• Crystal Tier

Nature: Modest

Personally, I like Ash's attire in both Hoenn and Kalos saga. While Hoenn clothing looks pretty sporty in a way, Kalos clothing seems to be a perfect match as well.

PokéCommunity | MyAnimeList | My Pairs | Blog | Science & Technology | #TeamTrivia
                          Ask this resident Victini some questions in my AMA thread!

Old 3 Weeks Ago (8:56 AM).

Quote:
                            It is definitely sad that the anime is to blame for male protagonist designs getting worse every generation. AG was probably the only truly unique Ash outfit when you look at it, since it was a hoodie and not a long-sleeved coat.

And, the only reason we got a unique design in AG was because there was no way the show could've gotten away with putting Ash in Brendan's outfit. Unlike Lucas & Co, Brendan was actually designed to be his own character and not a rip-off of Red, so his design wasn't even remotely compatible with Ash's.

Combine that with the "controversy" that surrounded the color of Brendan's hair, and it's not hard to see why GF has played it very safe (and boring) with male PC designs since Gen 4. Look past the scarf, and Lucas is little more than FRLG Red palette swapped to RBY Red's colors. Hilbert is literally nothing more than a teenage version of Red, and the same goes for Calem. Not counting remakes, it's literally been over a decade since we last had a male PC that wasn't a Red clone dressed in blue.

Old 3 Weeks Ago (11:29 PM).

see meee?

• Platinum Tier
                            • EOEvent Organizer

Quote:
                            Originally Posted by BettyNewbie View Post
                            And, the only reason we got a unique design in AG was because there was no way the show could've gotten away with putting Ash in Brendan's outfit. Unlike Lucas & Co, Brendan was actually designed to be his own character and not a rip-off of Red, so his design wasn't even remotely compatible with Ash's.

Combine that with the "controversy" that surrounded the color of Brendan's hair, and it's not hard to see why GF has played it very safe (and boring) with male PC designs since Gen 4. Look past the scarf, and Lucas is little more than FRLG Red palette swapped to RBY Red's colors. Hilbert is literally nothing more than a teenage version of Red, and the same goes for Calem. Not counting remakes, it's literally been over a decade since we last had a male PC that wasn't a Red clone dressed in blue.

Then there's the fact Brendan's original outfit had long sleeves. Long sleeves are definitely not Ash-worthy, which definitely explains why the BW outfit did Hilbert's jacket but with a recolour and short sleeves.

Old 3 Weeks Ago (12:17 AM).
                            just a miserable pile of secrets

Nature: Careful

Quote:

Wait why are we blaming the anime for the game protagonists character design exactly?

Isn't that the game's designers fault for not giving the protagonist a more interesting design? The anime design team bases Satoshi's new outfit on the protagonist of the new game, and have zero input on what next protagonists outfit will inevitably look like.

It's not the Anime's fault for the Game designers choosing a consistent design philosophy for each of the male protags. Each of them sporting a jacket (With Lucas being notable for having a vest in his first appearance) Until Sun's stripped T-shirt.

Don't be ashamed of what you love... even if other people find it embarrassing or pathetic embrace it... Love what you love, you'll be happier that way.

Old 3 Weeks Ago (10:52 AM).

Quote:
                                Originally Posted by CidHazard View Post
                                Wait why are we blaming the anime for the game protagonists character design exactly?

Isn't that the game's designers fault for not giving the protagonist a more interesting design? The anime design team bases Satoshi's new outfit on the protagonist of the new game, and have zero input on what next protagonists outfit will inevitably look like.

It's not the Anime's fault for the Game designers choosing a consistent design philosophy for each of the male protags. Each of them sporting a jacket (With Lucas being notable for having a vest in his first appearance) Until Sun's stripped T-shirt.

The anime has more influence over the games than we like to believe. GF knows that it's the main marketing tool for the games, and they've also realized that Ash will be the one promoting the games in said marketing tool rather than the gen's actual male protagonist. Thus, the male protagonists always have to have a design that's compatible with Ash's so Ash can be made to look like them on the show. Ash is based on Red, so they have to be based on Red, too. Ash always wears red/blue/black/white, so they have to wear red/blue/black/white, too. It's been going on for 11 straight years now.

It wasn't always like this. Just look at Gold and Brendan. Gold was certainly inspired by Red (and it was actually justified in this case, as GSC were sequels to RBY), but he still looked very different from him. His color scheme was different, his hair style was different, and he even wore his hat differently.

And, of course, Brendan bore absolutely zero resemblance to Red, whatsoever. And, why should he? He was supposed to be a different person, and it's not like RSE were even connected to RBY like GSC were. He had no legitimate reason to to look like Red/Ash, and neither does Lucas & Co.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links