• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hack Series: Pokémon Eternal X & Wilting Y [Version 2.67 Released]

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
Appreciate the reply. I didn't go with the Hans method for storage reasons. Anyways I followed the guide to the letter and the game won't boot. I guess I could have missed something but didn't see anything that I glaringly missed. When I attempt to launch the game it gives the standard Nintendo error "An Error has occurred. Reboot the system" Idk where I went wrong. I used braindump and extracted the files from the cxi, allowed it to decompress the code.bin, though that is probably irrelevant anyways. Replaced the files accordingly and then followed the instructions to recompress to 3ds. Used the converter then installed it. The update data is deleted so I don't think that's the issue.

I have acquired *ahem* certain other cias from places and they run fine. I dumped legit copies that I own so idk at this point. I tried following this guide with star sapphire as well since pretty much same procedure. Even has different banner and icon which shows after installing it but launching it is the same as this game.

Edit: I found a prebuilt version so gonna try that and see if I end up getting an error with it as well. will report back if that's the case.
No problem, it's hard to find up-to-date information on 3DS hacking so I'm happy to help. This is mentioned in the guide, but the problem you're having is that Braindump can't dump the exheader file, and you can't build a working .cia without it. Braindump is only useful if you want to use HANS. If you want to dump your own games for use with a CFW, you'll have to use uncart, which can get access to the 3DS's ARM9 core to dump header files.

Hopefully there won't be any problems with the prebuilt version.

Islingr

Light Bringer
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 14, 2016
No problem, it's hard to find up-to-date information on 3DS hacking so I'm happy to help. This is mentioned in the guide, but the problem you're having is that Braindump can't dump the exheader file, and you can't build a working .cia without it. Braindump is only useful if you want to use HANS. If you want to dump your own games for use with a CFW, you'll have to use uncart, which can get access to the 3DS's ARM9 core to dump header files.

Hopefully there won't be any problems with the prebuilt version.

Ah ok. The prebuilt ones do run fine. Just the guide doesn't seem to clarify this though. Which is fine. No biggie since I got what I wanted anyways. Anyways looking forward to playing around with it. Also looking forward to any potential updates to it such as icon,banner,and maybe clothing changes. perhaps even hair color stuff if thats even possible. Not that I expect you to do any of this just tossin some ideas I would like to see in a rom hack :p

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
Ah ok. The prebuilt ones do run fine. Just the guide doesn't seem to clarify this though. Which is fine. No biggie since I got what I wanted anyways. Anyways looking forward to playing around with it. Also looking forward to any potential updates to it such as icon,banner,and maybe clothing changes. perhaps even hair color stuff if thats even possible. Not that I expect you to do any of this just tossin some ideas I would like to see in a rom hack :p

Installation Guide said:
1) Dump a game you own by using Braindump. This is the easiest option if you're using the homebrew launcher. DO NOT use this if you're using custom firmware and want to eventually build and install a .cia file.
It's there, maybe just not in the best place. I think in future I'll just include the header files with the downloads to avoid this problem altogether (probably should have done that to begin with).
I do want to make custom banners at some point (the hacks already have modified icons). Clothing and hair changes would be interesting but they'd just be texture/colour changes at this point; it's certainly possible though, and someone will probably do it eventually. I hope you enjoy the hack!

Islingr

Light Bringer
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 14, 2016
It's there, maybe just not in the best place. I think in future I'll just include the header files with the downloads to avoid this problem altogether (probably should have done that to begin with).
I do want to make custom banners at some point (the hacks already have modified icons). Clothing and hair changes would be interesting but they'd just be texture/colour changes at this point; it's certainly possible though, and someone will probably do it eventually. I hope you enjoy the hack!

You sure about the icon change? Because it looks the same as the original. Perhaps you are referring to that its there for the hans. but its not there in the cfw exefs directory? other than that looks good so far.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
You sure about the icon change? Because it looks the same as the original. Perhaps you are referring to that its there for the hans. but its not there in the cfw exefs directory? other than that looks good so far.
I just checked the downloads on Google Drive, it's definitely there. Are you playing X or Y? The icon is just a recolour, it's less noticeable with Y than X as the Poke Ball is just a different shade of red (it's recoloured to be blue in X).

Islingr

Light Bringer
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 14, 2016
I just checked the downloads on Google Drive, it's definitely there. Are you playing X or Y? The icon is just a recolour, it's less noticeable with Y than X as the Poke Ball is just a different shade of red (it's recoloured to be blue in X).

Ah ok. I just didn't give much notice to the Pokeball tbh :p So nevermind then lol

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
I've updated the installation guide and added some extra files to the download packs to make the installation process easier. For anyone who already has the games installed, there is NO need to re-download anything; the latest version is still V1.2.

Years
  • Seen May 11, 2016
Hi, can you create a patch for italian version? I can help for translate the new scripts of the story in italian.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
Hi, can you create a patch for italian version? I can help for translate the new scripts of the story in italian.
Everything except the title screen and a little bit of edited text should work with the Italian version. I haven't actually changed the story at all, the only modified strings are the new TM descriptions and two NPCs who hand them out (unfortunately I don't think my terrible Drain Punch joke translates properly into Italian).
If you really want those changes in the Italian version you'd have to edit the text yourself; I don't think PK3DS can edit languages other than English at this point, so I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to help much.

Just started your hack. Seems good so far. I tinkered with some of my pokemon in PkHex while unlocking all the accessories. I'm worried they screwed up the base stats of the pokemon, removing the rebalances. This couldnt happen, correct?
Thanks! Yeah, that won't cause any problems. If you edited a Pokemon with base stat changes, just deposit it in the PC and the game will recalculate its stats to match the new ones.

Also, I agree with what the post on the first page said. 6 Pokemon for your first gym leader is generally a bad idea for your rom hack and just forces the player to start building their team in a specific way too early into the game. You should accommodate for all sorts of teams, ease up on the difficulty for the gym leaders at first before getting creative, and add more variety in the early game routes similar to BBVW2. 4 is generally a good number.
I agree that four Pokemon for the first gym leader would be better balancing. Giving Viola a full team was really just a personal preference thing; I'm always disappointed when difficulty hacks don't do it, even though it is usually a bit over the top. However, I did attempt to balance it out by giving the player ridiculously early access to some very good TMs; you can buy Smack Down, Incinerate, and the elemental punches in Santalune City, all of which will make beating at least one of Viola's Pokemon much easier. On top of that you can get Fire, Water and Leaf Stones in Santalune Forest, which gives you the option of just ploughing through her team with something like Fire Punch Ludicolo or Simisear.
As for Pokemon variety, I jammed as much as I could into those early routes; there would have been more but I can't add hordes to routes that don't already have them.

pokenar

Lunatic Red Eyes
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 4, 2022
While I normally like the first gym having 6 pokemon, I feel with kalos in particular it doesn't work. The reason for this is because of the gym that's first. Normally, you'd be dealing with stage 1 pokemon, stuff on your level power-wise. But bug pokemon's gimmick is evolving early on. Meaning you're facing 6 pokemon that all could potentially be above you on the power scale by a decent bit.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
While I normally like the first gym having 6 pokemon, I feel with kalos in particular it doesn't work. The reason for this is because of the gym that's first. Normally, you'd be dealing with stage 1 pokemon, stuff on your level power-wise. But bug pokemon's gimmick is evolving early on. Meaning you're facing 6 pokemon that all could potentially be above you on the power scale by a decent bit.
That's a good point, I did consider that when designing Viola's team; it's half unevolved Pokémon, and half early game moths/butterflies. Her fully evolved Pokémon (barring Vivillon, as it's her ace) have weaker moves overall to compensate for their higher stats. As an example, her Dustox's only damaging moves are Infestation and Confusion, neither of which hit very hard due to its terrible special attack stat. Any of the second stage starters should be able to deal with most of her team on their own; as long as you have one or two other Pokémon in your party to cover some of their weaknesses you should be able to win.

That said, this issue has been mentioned enough that I think it needs to be addressed. I'll add a few extra Trainer Pokémon narcs to the download packs for anyone who doesn't want the first gym to be overly challenging.

EDIT: I've updated the download packs with some extra files that give you the option of battling Viola with a team of four. Instructions for setting these files up are found in part four of the installation guide. As with the previous update, I'm going to leave the version number at 1.2 to avoid confusion; there is no need to re-download anything unless you want the new files. And for everyone who's posted feedback, thank you! I hope you like the changes.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Mar 22, 2020
hey,
Can you create a patch with cro edits? for example the kanto starter level or the level of the legendarys. and last but not least removed shiny lock for all static pokemon?

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
hey,
Can you create a patch with cro edits? for example the kanto starter level or the level of the legendarys. and last but not least removed shiny lock for all static pokemon?

Sure. I've uploaded some edited cro files which increase the levels and IVs of the gift Pokemon (Kanto starters, fossils, Lucario and Lapras).
As for the rest, do you know where I could read up on how to do that? I don't think PK3DS can edit the legendaries or even the trade Pokemon. If it's all been researched already I'm happy to do it, but I don't have a way to dump my 3DS's memory so it's not something I'd want to research myself.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Mar 22, 2020
Sure. I've uploaded some edited cro files which increase the levels and IVs of the gift Pokemon (Kanto starters, fossils, Lucario and Lapras).
As for the rest, do you know where I could read up on how to do that? I don't think PK3DS can edit the legendaries or even the trade Pokemon. If it's all been researched already I'm happy to do it, but I don't have a way to dump my 3DS's memory so it's not something I'd want to research myself.

you must compile the new pk3ds version with visual studio. you get a newer version on github faster. with a lot of new settings.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
you must compile the new pk3ds version with visual studio. you get a newer version on github faster. with a lot of new settings.

Ah OK, thanks for the info. I'll get the rest of those changes uploaded soon.

EDIT: Changes are done! For anyone playing on a system with support for CRO files, you can rebuild the game with the new files to get the following changes:
  • All static Legendary Pokemon are now encountered at a higher level, and can be shiny
  • Articuno, Zapdos, or Moltres will now have their Hidden Ability
  • The forced Pidgey encounter on Route 2 has been replaced with a Starly (which will always have three perfect IVs)

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 28, 2016
After I braindumped my file I get a romfs.bin and a exefs.bin. In the instruction it doesnt say what I should do with these because there you only work with a .cxi file which I didnt get.
What should I do now?

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
After I braindumped my file I get a romfs.bin and a exefs.bin. In the instruction it doesnt say what I should do with these because there you only work with a .cxi file which I didnt get.
What should I do now?

Sorry about that, looks like the guide needs an update. You should rename your romfs.bin and exefs.bin files to "DecryptedRomFS.bin" and "DecryptedExeFS.bin" respectively, then run the hacking toolkit and type "fs" to open the partition extractor. From here you can enter "romfs" to extract your ROMFS, then "exefs" to extract your EXEFS. Once you've extracted both files you can continue to step two of the guide.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 28, 2016
Thanks a bunch^^
I tried to do that but when I go into the fs partition of the hacking toolkit I always get an error message that the system cant find the specified path.
Because of that I dont get these folders and binaries.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
Can I catch all the legendaries in the latest patch?
Yes! They're in some pretty dumb places but they're all available.

Thanks a bunch^^
I tried to do that but when I go into the fs partition of the hacking toolkit I always get an error message that the system cant find the specified path.
Because of that I dont get these folders and binaries.
That's odd, are your binaries in the same folder as the toolkit? It should just find them automatically as long as they're named correctly.

Back