• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Username Origins

Years
Do any of you have interesting stories behind your usernames? Any particular reason why it appealed to you or was there some origin behind it?

Volcanix769

Known as the Quilava Guy!
Years
Originally I first came up with "Volcanix769" when I was joining DeviantART in August of 2010 inspired from a friend from Flipnote Hatena that had a dA account username barely similar to mine(you know if you have a DSi). I was interested in the Fire-Types, like Typhlosion and Houndoom. And it matches my well being in both hotheaded and a fiery way. Also, I got the "769" so it might look cool. I would have gone to Quilava42 when I wanted to join here, but I sticked with my main username. "Volcanix769" just seems to be a cool username once you browse around with that identity.

Last edited:

Yellow Silver Nostalgia

Those Were The Days
Years
  • Seen Aug 20, 2014
I don't like my username. It's fairly self explanatory. I just came up with it quickly because I only joined so I could download an attachment from someone's post.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
There's a couple of reasons why I used this name:

1. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. The similarity is very obvious, haha. Twilight and blade. I was a few keystrokes away from naming myself TwilightSword, huh? How more cringeworthy! Well... that brings me to my next few influences.
2. Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards. One of Kirby's copy abilities is Cutter. He threw a blade, pretty neat right? Why did I focus on the blade...
3. My twin brother joins forums as TheRazor, so I wanted to be Blade.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
Oooh fun!! I love talking about usernames. (:

When I wanted to change my username, I had a few guidelines for myself.
I can't remember why, but I wanted a username that started with a P.
I wanted a username with two words in it, because I thought it was cooler than single word usernames. I wanted a username that was similar to Hiroshi Sotomura, in particular.
I wanted a Japanese sounding username because that was the thing going on around the time that I made it within the forums.

I started with the name Patchou, who was the original developer of MSN plus. I actually didn't do it intentionally, though. I started with a P and I was like "What makes sense to come after a P? A!" and it was like that for the rest of it. Then I realized that I just made a username that was already existing. It didn't seem long enough, so I added is in between Patch and ou.
I couldn't think of a last name for it. Fruit Baskets was the first anime I ever saw, and Tohru Honda is the main character of that, so I took Tohru in dedication of her.
I don't remember where the Yu part of it came from.

It was actually a lot of planning and involved a lot more thinking than there should have been. The is in Patchisou and the Yu in Yutohru were sooo many other things. I remember writing it out so many alternatives, and Patchisou Yutohru sounded the best when I compared them.

I think my username is really cool, even though I get tired of seeing it all the time. Every time I switched my username, I would always go back to it when we had name changes so it's pretty much me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Mine just kind of came up out of the blue. It doesn't have much origin. I was doing some challenge on Pearl and I had traded in a Scyther egg and hatched it and named her Sydian because it just kinda popped up. I still have her btw. She's a Scizor. And at the time, I was gonna mod a forum for a friend, and I hadn't decided on a username and Sydian sounded like a good mod-like username. Guess it worked out here too, eh?

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
When I joined PC, I was big into the French usernames kick. My Twitter was L_Ananas, I was naming myself Pomme in different places, and I had just gotten tired of using Quelquefois as a username. Toujours sounded nice and was a nice abstract word, so I picked that. A little tired of it though. :/

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
Years
Back when I was still 'Crusher' (lol I'm no barbarian), I was searching for a cool-sounding username wherever I could. Then I stumbled across a 'Henry Louis Vivian Derozio' in my history textbook. Derozio. I loved how it sounded. And that's that. Now I use it everywhere I join. If you come across a Derozio on a forum, there's a high chance that's me. :P

I don't think I'll ever grow tired of this name. Its appeal won't ever fade away because it is one of those 'cool-forever' names, imo.
yeah, I know I'm wanking my name a lil' too much so shut up! XD

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
When I joined PokeCommunity I couldn't figure out a username, I didn't want to use the same one I use on other forums (same goes for my username password, different from the other forums I'm on), so I came up with about 5-6 usernames, but decided to stick with the theme - Pokemon related, Cat-related, and my favorite Pokemon-related. Persian came up, always will be my #1.

For the "Trainer" part, could be related to the games, or my own fan-art, making myself the trainer but with Meowth/Persian being the star of the good guys instead of Pikachu (its not the worse, no where near my top 400 favorites).

Mononoke Hime

viva emptiness
Years
Oooh fun!! I love talking about usernames. (:

I was going to say that!

Anyway, my username isn't only inspired in the best movie made by Hayao Miyazaki (IMO), it's about myself. This film is everything I am, I feel half San, hating humans because they're just a PEST to our world; and sometimes I feel like A****aka, who just want that everyone gets along, after all, we're humans and there's nothing that's going to change that, so we just have to try to live in peace with everything and everyone.

My older nickname was "hell" (not in PC) because my life was just at a mad turmoil. Then I wanted to change it and never again use it because I didn't want to see myself as a potential victim.

I've chosen Mononoke Hime as my new username because:
1) The film made by Hayao Miyazaki will always be inside me and always be a part of who I am;
2) I like the concept of fitgh for what we think we are here for;
3) It just fits perfectly well in any pokemon forum.

Pvt Tamama

Chii!
Years
  • Seen Dec 4, 2012
I got my name from a anime character from the anime sgt frog
pretty funny show

Yellow Silver Nostalgia

Those Were The Days
Years
  • Seen Aug 20, 2014
I feel half San, hating humans because they're just a PEST to our world; and sometimes I feel like A****aka, who just want that everyone gets along, after all, we're humans and there's nothing that's going to change that, so we just have to try to live in peace with everything and everyone.

That's a nice philosophy. I feel the same way about other animals too - I hate how there's so much violence between them but there's nothing we can really do about it so we just have to try our best to live in harmony with the rest of the planet.

You vegan?

Years
Back when I was still into watching anime more than I currently am (a few years back or so), I was really into the anime Slayers at one point.

"Sylphiel" was the name of a relatively minor character from the show, or at least one spelling of it (lol transliterations), and while she wasn't my favorite - just something about the name made me really love it. The letter combination or something. I dunno, it looked neat.

So I stole it. :}

Sadly even with changing it to that, I still couldn't escape the jokes that spawned from my first username, "Cowrie". Baw.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
When I was younger, my favourite Pokémon was Pichu. I used to RP a lot on Yahoo! chatrooms and one of my favourite characters that I'd created was a Pichu named Lightning. When my account was compromised on my first forum and I had to start anew, I chose the name Lightning because of the character I'd had. It and many weeaboo variations of it became my username everywhere on the internet until mid-2007 when Cherrim became my favourite Pokémon and my online alias.

Pryze

Straight chillin
Years
Mine isn't very interesting, but back in Middle School, my friend held a tournament, one involving Pokemon. The prize was a shiny Porygon-Z. I'd just got back into Pokemon Platinum at the time, and knew hardly anything about the game. I did, however, know that shiny Pokemon were rare as all hell. So I entered the contest, almost sure that I'd lose. I somehow won, and the Porygon was mine. I instantly put it on my team, but noticed that it already had a nickname, Pryze. He'd told me that he'd mistakenly used a "y," rather than an "i." I still have that P-Z on my old Platinum file, and thought the nickname sounded pretty interesting, so I use it as my internet alias.

Sirfetch’d

Idk where mine originated. I guess is just because I am a fan of Jellicent. and the one at the end...idk why I put that there. I just made up a name quick so I could comment on a thread. If I could go back and change i I might have been more creative.....or at least capitalized the first letter of Jellicent.

Years
Mine may look simple but it had a story behind it.

Back when I was about to join my first Pokemon forum, I was trying to find the perfect username and after discovering my love towards Dawn, whose Japanese name is Hikari, I went with that cos Pokemon is a Japanese franchise, and I needed a Japanese username.

In fact, I think Hikari is one of the cutest Japanese names ever and I like how it sounds. My fave Japanese name for a reason.

However, I knew there was already a "Hikari" here so here's where the numbers came in.

Why 10? Well, I was born in October of 1992, and October is the 10th month in your average calendar year. It's also a number that looks cute on me for some odd reason and it sounds so awesome and catchy and easy to remember. Also, it's one of my fave numbers.

So I combined the two and Hikari10 was the result. I even use this name on other forums I'm on, and if I could change away from this username I'd probably say no.

Last edited:

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
The first forum I ever joined was Nintendo's Hyrule Town Square. A Zelda forum.

I'm...knowledgeable in the field of Zelda and wanted a name to reflect that. Obviously, I went with "Triforce" because what's more important than that? I wanted to be perceived as the big shot there XD

It was already taken though (never met that fellow), so added "89" on the end for my birth year.

The forum put all usernames in all-caps, and so "TRIFORCE89" was born. That's why I keep the uppercase :p

People have referred to me in different ways, not counting differences in letter case I've seen TRIFORCE89, Triforce, T89, Tri, Tri89, and Triffy.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Oh gosh I get to tell this story again? Oh boy here we go!

SO. Once upon a time I decided that I would join a Danny Phantom Forum. Now, before I tell you the username that I picked I must tell you all for those who know the series that I joined before Dan Phantom came into existence. With that said the username I came up with was simple enough: DanPhantomFan. Since DannyPhantomFan I think was taken and I thought that by shortening 'Danny' I would be cool and original. What a silly girl I was, huh?

Well, time went on during my stay at the Danny Phantom Forum and eventually I got tired of the name DanPhantomFan. Dan Phantom came into existence and people were getting the meaning behind my name wrong and, frankly, I wasn't really there for the Danny Phantom part of the forums anymore. Ironically (or unironically) I spent most of my time in the other chat/trivia forum part, whatever it was called. Spending my days talking in what would have been the equivalent to the Daily Chit Chat there.

BUT, I didn't want to change my name completely. I want to change from DanPhantomFan, but since everyone on the forum called me by DPF I wanted to keep my initials so everyone would know who I was since I was pretty well known on the forum. Eventually, I came up with something quite random: DigiPeachFruit. I'm not sure where exactly I got the idea, but hey! It had the initials DPF so I was happy.

Jump a few years and you have me in Ninth Grade. I was with a friend of mine who had got me back into Digimon and were joking around with my online handle: digipeachfruit. What were we saying exactly? DigiPeachFruit: The Peaches are Binary. The reason for this and why it is related to Digimon is because they are Digital monsters and all digital things are made up of binary code. We have came to the fact that 'Digi' in my name was short for 'Digital', which is how we started the joke.

Eventually, DigiPeachFruit: The Peaches were Binary started to sound weird. Because it was, I decided that I would change my online name to suit the latter part of the joke a little more. That, and I was also deciding on making a new AIM account at the time so why not! So inevitably I went from DigiPeachFruit to BinaryPeaches: The Peaches are Binary. Redundant, but I liked it more than DigiPeachFruit!

And well .. since then BinaryPeaches has been one of my primary handles and the one that I use here. ♥

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
I go by a bazillion aliases, you can get confused as to who am I now :(

My first internet alias was Anistorm, which was a combination of my IRL name, and the word storm...depicting my love for weather and storms. That name was very unique and I used it for years, but sadly due to my frequent interests that name seemed to be pushed away.

After I resigned from staff, I dropped my Meganium90 account and wanted to go for a fresh start. So I chose Leaf Storm for several reasons. Not only because it was my favorite grass-type move, but it was also the title of a short story by Columbian author Gabriel Garcia Marquez. I read the story in Spanish class, and that name pretty much beat out the rest of possible names I'd go for, because it had so much meaning. My love for grass-types, nature, and the color green + that story + my love for weather = bingo. (Other names would have been Outasight and nowornevur lol)

That's my PC alias...kinda. I'm known as leafystewart on most of the internet now. A combination of Leaf Storm and Tony Stewart, my favorite NASCAR driver. xD

Back