• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ryu's first RMT

Ryu-kun

Dreeeaaaams...
Years
aerodactyl.png

Jolly Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVS: 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4/6 Hp
-Earthquake
-Stealth Rock
-Stone Edge
-Taunt
Notes: Just my annoying lead... Taunt to annoy and prevent other SR users Stone Edge and EG for attack moves.
donphan.png

Adamant Donphan @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVS: 252 Hp, 252 Atk and 4/6 Sp. Def
-Assurance
-Earthquake
-Rapid Spin
-Ice Shard
Notes: Mah (bulky) spinner! Assurance for those annoying ghosts that prevent me from spinning.
yanmega.png

Modest Yanmega @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVS: 252 Sp. Attack, 252 Spe, 4/6 Def
-Air Slash
-Bug Buzz
-Protect
-Hypnosis
Notes: My sweeper. Speed Boost really helps and I usually use Protect at the start of the fight / at the switch. Switched Hypnosis with Toxic, sooooo... Nothing much to say here anymore
gyarados.png

Adamant Gyarados @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVS: 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 6 Hp
-Waterfall
-Ice Fang
-Earthquake
-Dragon Dance
Notes: Well, I took your advice, aaaaand it's not so bad afterall. I tried Starmie for a moment but didn't like it. Basically your everyday DD Gyara, with Ice Fang over Stone edge for random Mence swich-ins
electivire.png

Adamant Electivire @ Life Orb
Ability: Motor Drive
EVS: 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 6 Hp
-Brick Break
-Fire Punch
-Thunder Punch
-Ice Punch
Notes: Well, this is what replaced Houndy... Punches for coverage, and Brick Break over Cross Chop for accuracy and random Screen smashing,
ambipom.png

Jolly Ambipom @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVS: 252 Spe, 252 Atk, 4/6 Hp
-Fake Out
-Grass Knot
-U-Turn
-Return
Notes: A general annoyer =P. Fake Out on the start, usually does ~35% damage if not resisted, and then proceed to either sweep with Return or Grass Knot OR escape with U-Turn.

Well, that was it ladies and gentlemen... Hope to recieve some helpful feedback.

Last edited:

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
Years
  • Age 32
  • NSFW
  • Seen Jun 18, 2019
Really quick, Aerodactyl wants Focus Sash, and Houndoom wants Life Orb, since Rocks are almost garunteed, so its sash will be broken. Choice Scarf limits you to the first move you use so you have to Taunt/Stealth Rock, then switch, its frail enough to be a suicide lead, which is its main reason for being used. The Parafusion Lanturn set works much better than whatever you're Lanturn is doing.

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
40HP/216Def/252Sp.Def
-Confuse Ray
-Thunder Wave
-Surf
-Thunderbolt

Fire Wolf

it's as humid as a sauna, boy!
Years
I'd run Hidden Power Flying or Hidden Power Psychic on Houndoom rather than taunt. Also, if you're using Yanmega as a sweeper, it really appreciates Tinted Lens so it could go on spamming Bug Buzz. Since you lack a good Physical sweeper, I would go with Bulky Offensive Gyarados >> Lanturn as it can double up as a bulky water as well. I've also got no idea what's Lanturn doing on your team, it seems dead weight. Run Life Orb on Houndoom because Stealth Rock is everywhere, breaking it's Sash. I highly recommend NOT to have Houndoom though, it has a really low speed for a sweeper, go with Nasty Plot MixApe, it's a better Fire type sweeper than Houndoom. Go with Rock Slide >> Stone Edge on Aerodactyl, it can't afford a Stone Edge miss with it's frail defences.

Last edited:

Ryu-kun

Dreeeaaaams...
Years
Aerodactyl is really a frail lead, so Stone Edge is fine. It dies in few hits anyways.

As for Lanturn, it serves the role of bulky water type and bulky electric type. That is not it's final set, though.

As for your Gyara... I can only say... NO. I would never use the overused, overhyped, 4x electric weak Gyarados. No offence to the Gyara fans though.

If I'd switch abilitiesfor Yanmega, I would have to revamp the moveset. Besides, it needs the speed to outspeed some of the counters. AND Toxic is a nice stalling move (?) combined with the usefulness of speedboost with Protect... I'd say Speed Boost is the superior ability.

I could switch Houndoom, though I'd really not like to, as I have no idea who to switch it for? Infernape is a big no-no as it fails again psychic types.

I'll do some more testing with some Pokémon.

Opposite Day

too old for name changes
Years
Dragonboy, you are using Aerodactyl, which means that this team is OU. Simply put, that means that you'll have to use whatever fits the team best - and in this case, it might mean scrapping stuff like lanturn. Houndoom has a laughable base 50 defence stat, which means that it falls to priority like Scizors bullet punch even while resisting it, and to top it off base 90 speed isn't very fast in OU, since the supermajority of pokes that is not walls outspeeds it and can likely kill it. TBH, the few things I can see you force out with houndoom would be stuff like specs heatran, hp fire magnezone, forry, and the rotoms.

However, I'll just list the stuff that can kill you after switching out while you NP: Mach Punch Breloom (I have no idea how viable this is), Snorlax, Swampert, TTar (especially scarf variants), Dragonite, Gyarados, Suicune, Gliscor, Aerodactyl (lol), Infernape, Azelf (might just boom on you or use physical sneeze), Lucario, Starmie, Latias, Weavile (rofl), Flygon, Jirachi, Tentacruel, Salamence, Heatran and possibly Zapdos.

All these either outspeed you and can kill you in one hit, has the stats necessary to take a hit and ko back, or has priority that'll probably kill you in one hit. Notice how infernape outspeeds like the supermajority of this? Since you are aiming to force switches anyway, you could probably specs that Houndoom of yours, that way, nothing will get a free switch-in, limiting the decent switch-ins to Snorlax, Heatran, Blissey, TTar, Dragonite, Gyarados, Suicune, Flygon, and Tentacruel. Everyone else would take tons of damage from a +1 Dark Pulse or +1|2 Fire Blast, so IMO, specsing it would be the way to go, even though it is pursuit bait despite being resistant to it :/)

Let me just ask you a question though. If you didn't want us to change your movesets/pokemon to the better, why did you post this here at all? We are trying to help you to the best of our abilities, but if you will not accept our help by saying "but I don't want to change my moveset because of my opinion on stuff and Gyara sucks because it is OU", then it seems like it isn't worth my time trying to help you if you are not going to accept any advice. Remember, even though immunities go a long way, it doesn't necessarily make the best team. :/ After all, we want you to succeed as well.

Last edited:

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 23, 2024
Really, what was the point in suggesting Tinted Lense when speed boost is fine ? Thats rather dumb. :/

As for your Gyara... I can only say... NO. I would never use the overused, overhyped, 4x electric weak Gyarados. No offence to the Gyara fans though.

I could switch Houndoom, though I'd really not like to, as I have no idea who to switch it for? Infernape is a big no-no as it fails again psychic types.

/facepalm

1. Gyarados is the third most threatening pokemon in OU (behind Salamence and Latias). It stops your team from getting KILLED/MASSACRED by Lucario and Scizor who can set up on the useless Lanturn with ease. But of course you wouldnt want that! >______________________> Not using something because its ou is so silly and limits your options, you dont get cool points for using UU pokes in OU "just because i dont like OU's", you get loses instead.

2. "Infernape is a big no-no as it fails again psychic types !"
obvious.jpg
Houndoom loses to ground ? Your point lol ? You have Yanmega so i mean "losing to psychic's" is rather moot.

Yanmega wants either Hypnosis or Hidden Power [Fire/Ground] over Toxic. Toxic is a horrible move on Yanmega, it too frail to utilize it effectively.

Pure defensive stat up moves (Amnesia, Iron Defense etc) should NOT be used. This strategy is bad because crits destroy it, your opponent can easily stat up on you and it doesnt really help in the long run. Status also kills it. The only defensive boosting moves that should be used are Calm Mind, Bulk Up, Curse and other moves that do something else rather than just defense boost.

Sash on no leads is very bad. Your opponent can still set up Spikes/SR/Toxic Spikes on things like Lanturn pretty easily.

Anyway, this team loses to basically the entire top ten on the threat list. It doesn't have any theats covered nor does it even have a central strategy. Stall schools this team badly. Stealth Rock and Toxic Spikes just own this team so much. Donphan also isnt really getting past Rotom-A any time soon and the team lacks the resistances, bulk and power to do anything back to offensive teams.

Next problem, is you have no steel type. This means "sup i am a dragon, i can spam my stab move and smash your whole team to pieces". That and the fact you cant beat Blissey, like at all. O_o

1. Go here and read up on threats and take measures to prepare for them.http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=168147

2. Get a strategy or you will be just sitting there getting overwhelmed. Some good ones can be found here and here. Also read here.

Im sorry if i was slightly harsh, but this is for your own good. That and people giving terrible rates all over s+m was starting to bug me lol.

Last edited:

Ryu-kun

Dreeeaaaams...
Years
Thanks for the help guys, and as I said, this team was really in the testing phase. Houndoom is most likely going to get switched, OR spec it as Opposite Day said. I'm gonna do some testing today as it was really late yesterday my time when I did that.

As for Yanmega I'll consider (read: use) other moves in the place of Toxic

I'm really sorry if this pisses people off, but I have had REALLY bad experiences with using Gyara, BUT I PROMISE to test it.
I know Lanturn is pretty bad for usage as people set up on it so easily. I could also test the parafusion set on it. OR I could test something else.

That is all I have for now... Looks like the team is getting a HUGE revamp =D

And some changes to the team have been made...!

Last edited:

Fire Wolf

it's as humid as a sauna, boy!
Years
Eww Electivire... It's really terrible, even when used with Gyarados. If you really want to use it, use this Mixed Electivire set:
Electivire @ Expert Belt
Nature: Mild
Ability: Motor Drive
EVs: 36 Atk / 252 SpA / 220 Spe
Moveset:
~ Thunderbolt
~ Hidden Power [Grass/Ice]
~ Flamethrower
~ Cross Chop

Also Ice Fang is a no-no on Gyarados. Use Stone Edge as it already hits Salamence hard and also can be used to hit other Gyarados. Either use Stone Edge or Bounce >> Ice Fang.

Last edited:

Ryu-kun

Dreeeaaaams...
Years
"Ice Fang is a more reliable attack for use against Dragon-types; it hits most of them harder than Stone Edge, and also hits Breloom and Celebi hard."

^^Straight from Smogon. I really dont think I need Stone Edge JUST for other Gyara's.
That's not to say, that I haven't tried it at all, I have actually, but I think Ice Fang suits my needs better.

As for the mixed Vire, it is weaker than the physical one. And Brick Break has just enough power for my needs IMO.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 23, 2024
As for the mixed Vire, it is weaker than the physical one. And Brick Break has just enough power for my needs IMO.

1. Umm you do realize that Brick Break is that ass it wont even KO Tyranitar ?
2. Special Vire has a HIGHER damage output than physical vire. Higher base power on those attacks. Please do research before posting, thanks.

EDIT :

Oh and btw, Bounce does the same thing Ice Fang does due to stab. :/ Stone Edge/Waterfall/Bounce or EQ/DD is simply better.

Back