• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Offering Review / Tutoring Services

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
Years
So after a discussion in the VIP DCC, I was thinking of contributing to the Creative Writing section of PC; however, with limited time, I was hoping to start by beta-reading people's fanfics / creative works. As Slayer puts it, it's basically reading your work before you post it on PC and thereby offering suggestions, critique, etc. while looking over grammar, punctuation, etc.

That said, I'm very good with grammar, punctuation, form, etc. I achieved 97% in Grade 12 Academic English, and on an essay I submitted for a fourth-year Environmental Studies class on Aquaculture, I received a grade of 94%. That's without any university English courses or university education altogether. Furthermore, I proof-read my boyfriend's work a lot (he's in fourth year university), and the investment has always returned grades between 90&100%. I've also acted as a teacher's assistant for English in Grade 12 by proof-reading and actually marking students' essays and projects through Grades 9-12. That was a lot of fun and really enforced my decision to pursue teaching as a profession.

I'm just curious if anyone wants to have their fanfic or their creative work proof-read at all, like a request? Or even essays, projects, etc. I'm really good at this stuff. I've helped a lot of students succeed in various subjects, even the sciences, in the last few years, and I'd love to help other people out, too, in my spare time :)

I can also tutor in French and English, as I am bilingual, too, if you're in school (preferably secondary school or university/college-level work). Again, essays, projects, creative writing, grammar, punctuation, form, etc. would be what I'd be reviewing and critiquing.

That said, I'll probably do random reviewing, too, but if anyone specifically wants something looked at (or is wanting tutoring), I'll prioritize beta-reading requests made here, through VM or PM, etc. first and foremost. Overall, whether it be school-related or related to Creative Writing at PC, it'll be beneficial :) and I'm eager to help, so!

:P

As volume may wreak havoc, I'll only be doing three requests at a time for beta-reading. I don't have a cap for tutoring as that's separate altogether and requires different things, different blocks of time, etc.

Current Requests

#1 -
#2 -
#3 -

Last edited:

Phantom1

[css-div="font-size: 12px; font-variant: small-cap
Years
You do realize that there was a beta thread already that face planted, right? Mainly because there was a lack of work?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
So, basically you mean that if we want somebody to properly review our fic posted on PC, we can let you know here and you'll do it? O.o

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
Years
It's more for beta-reading and tutoring. Initially I wanted to review fics by people who asked, but Slayee thought it might be an issue, so I've modified the post to reflect beta-reading instead.

I finished a beta-read for Genesis yesterday; he was elated :) So if you want an example, definitely VM him for testimony, etc. (I'm on my phone right now, so multi-tasking is brutal).

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
The only difference between reviewing and beta-reading being that the latter is before a fic is posted, or what?

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
The only difference between reviewing and beta-reading being that the latter is before a fic is posted, or what?
Pretty much.

The reason why I asked Belldandy to change it, was because of the sorts of problems these threads can create. I've seen it on other sites, so it does happen. The most common one is that someone gets skipped, and then they throw a fit about it. Plus, what if someone wants you to review a story that you really couldn't care less about, or have no words to describe your thoughts?

I'm under the firm belief that if you want to review a story, just find one that interests you and have at it. Beta-reading is a little more than just reviewing. It's more of a partnership between the writer and reviewer. The fic is no longer just the writer's work, it has the beta reader's stamp on it as well. The stamp may not be as big as the writer's, but it's there.

Back