• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Is anyone ditching their starter?

Mononoke Hime

viva emptiness
Years
I just felt like doing it in BW, because I wasn't used to the new starters and kinda didn't liked them, but I just can't get rid of Serperior, it's so awesome.
Along with Charizard, it is my favorite starter.

Years
  • Seen Oct 25, 2013
Really tempted to ditch my samurott and breed another...
I never really understood EV training and all that... But I recently got a baby lapras.... And a japanese ditto, I could actually try for a shiny oshawott... but it won't be the same because I never been through as much with a new oshawott than my current one...

EonJolteon

Electric Aficionado
Years
  • Seen Dec 20, 2012
I usually keep them in my team until I beat the game~
After that, I wipe my party clean and start breeding/EV training everything.

I've decided that I don't like most of the starters, anyway. ;w;

Sero

私はセクシーです
Years
I played through black and white with snivy and tepig but in White 2, I got rid of Samurott. I was planning on keeping it but when I saw you can catch Spheal, I fell in love and threw Samurott straight into the pc. I only use it when my brother feels like battling me. I never really liked the unova starters, nor any of the other unova pokémon.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
I always ditch my starter. I love Emboar, I tolerate Serperior, but Samurott I completely hate. D:
So usually I hack them into something else entirely. c:

Years
  • Seen Jul 22, 2014
I would never ditch my starter, until I've bred it (if it's male) with a Ditto so I can have a female starter.

Years
  • Seen Oct 4, 2013
Lol,sorry for that!
i have ditched my starter which was tepig for growlithe...much better IMO!

Cid

Years
Nope! Never used Emboar in B/W even though I'm actually pretty okay with it. So I said why not give it a chance? Even though I wanted Arcanine on my team so bad. Oh well.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
When I finally caught Buizel, I was going to leave Samurott in the PC storage, but I got kind of attached to him (yep a male), so not anymore, I'm keeping both. In other games I usually never use the starter

TheWaffleKiing

Pokemon Lets Player :)
Years
  • Seen Jul 13, 2014
i ditched mine sadly :(

i ditched my samurot or Skenkee and hes level 72 but he isent used anymore :(

HyperVortex

Youtube Battler
Years
LAWL. I stopped training Oshawott at level 10. I left it for Riolu which is now a bad A-- Lucario now.

I still use Oshawott occasionally though. He's now my HM Slave and Death Foddor. Might as well be good for something right?

Shiny_Eevee4453

Shiny Pokemon
Years
At first I loved my starter pokemon, then I caught an Azurill and I trained the crap outta that thing. I eventually went back and trained my Oshawott. Right now I'm working on getting a shiny Zorua.... :D

SillyMeh

Legendary Collector
Years
I keep my Emboar in my party. Ive been using my event pkmn, arceus and zekrom, to wipe the white treehollow and elite four. With exp share on Emboar (Almost the entire game, been using Legendaries as soon as I can), he's up to level 80. I use him as my backup incase anything goes wrong with zekrom or arceus, or I need a pokemon thats a different type. So far, my strategy has been working quite well. That shiny dratini is so close!

Kaitou

Demonic Archangel
Years
Honestly, I have a hard time pulling away from any starter I get, a least until I beat the E4. After that, it just stays in my party. It's not like I use it in competitive battle though.

Turboblaze

Blazing Aura
Years
I used to never do it but in these games, unless I start with Oshawott, I usually just stop using my starter before the eighth gym.

Last edited:
Years
I have never ditched my starter Pokemon at the beginning of the game, call me boring :P

I do rid of it later on in the game though, usually after I defeat the Elite Four the first time. I did this in Black 2 when I completed the game. Haven't used Samurott properly since lol

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
Years
When it comes to the main story line, I will never ditch my starter. All of my starters are always at their best whenever I play through the game, but when it comes to competitive battling with others I do ditch the starter Pokemon. My Samurott is pretty good for the Elite Four (in both White and Black 2) because I always gave it either X-Scissors or later swamp it for Megahorn for those pesky Psychic and Dark types.

:t354:TG

Back