• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Showcase and Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathan

Blade of Justice
Years
Another bad map of mine. Please correct everything except the flowers.
Spoiler:

Arma

The Hyena
Years
Huuuge patches of tall grass is always a no-no jnathan. The bottom one is tio large, while the top one can be crossed by walking through just three tiles.

Way don't you break up the grass patches into a feq smaller ones? Take the path o. The left side for example, rather than just having a single straight lined path, put a patch or two of tall grass there. Im assuming the player has to go from the right to the left, right?

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
Another bad map of mine. Please correct everything except the flowers.
Spoiler:

this isnt a total train wreck, you have a pretty solid map so far; I'd rather see a ledge thing in place of the rock and instead of the 1st 2 trees
with the line of tree, I'd suggest every other tree be moved to the left so it goes left, right, left, right, etc
there seems to be a cluttered mess of grass and flowers, and a gross box of trees in the middle, haha, I'd would suggest mixing up the trees so its like they're interlocking between one another

Arma

The Hyena
Years
You really need to put more effort into your map, Pokemoner2500. It's just an empty map with the basic four houses and a fence... =| Add a path, and perhaps a few flowers or other pieces of decoration.

Last edited:
Years
I have obtained hgss tiles so heres the new starting town. This is Traple Town
2dlqahj.jpg
I understand it's the starting town so it is normal for it to be small, but I presonally find it too "compressed" haha, probably, you should remove one layer of trees surrounding the houses, add a signpost, so mail post too probably and why not some little tress, flowers, or any decorative stuff?
Also, the fences would be better if you remove them imo, I think you put them there to easily block the player from leaving the town before getting their starter or such? But, a well made script(s) can do that without the need of the fences.

~Anbuja

Let's Keep It Simple
Years
Here. I edited it a little bit
8wbmzt.png
[/spoiler]

It still doesn't look better, throwing some flowers and signs doesn't make it anything better.

Also it is just "TOO SMALL" consider while playing through this map, the hero has like no space to walk on, if you add 2-3 NPC's on the mapp off course.

Remove one layer of tree's entirely, your not using they're edges right btw.
Use sand paths, for what are they in the tileset, or even add a tiny waterpond for the sake of it, don't be shy to make the map even really big, just experimen with the mapping.

It doesn't mean that your map "HAS" to be the final product, there is always something to be fixed on a map.

Good luck~

Kroso

Sleeping soundly
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 22, 2016
So I've recently returned to the game scene. And, this was the result of fooling around with a tileset that I carefully assembled, this map is still incomplete. But, I still want to know what I currently have.
Spoiler:

Credits to : Minorthreat, Weasly FG, and WilsonScarloxy
Thanks for the critique. :)

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
So I've recently returned to the game scene. And, this was the result of fooling around with a tileset that I carefully assembled, this map is still incomplete. But, I still want to know what I currently have.
Spoiler:

Credits to : Minorthreat, Weasly FG, and WilsonScarloxy
Thanks for the critique. :)

I wont comment on the empty bottom part as it is incomplete, but I personally like the idea of mixing up trees and having spaces, however, there is movement through the trees, so do they finally form an actual barrier at some point? because it seems way too open ended
the tileset seems really nostalgic, and really cool, but problems are on the bottom building; near the roof on the second tree from the left, there is some green smudges that shouldn't be there; on the orange roof the right side is cut off, and there is an extra layer of shade on the side
also, this may be a personal thing, but having a single tile of sand path just seems really unnatural to me >.<

as for the map, I'm really intreuged! haha, I have no idea what it could be, but you could do a lot with it and it could be something really interesting

Last edited:

Kroso

Sleeping soundly
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 22, 2016
You're still forgetting to add the tree edges, which is the only thing I see wrong with the map. Everything else is OK for a starter town in my opinion. I'm not the most constructive critic there is, so forgive me for my horrid review, if I ever do make one

Finally finished this map, then I realized that it still has errors here and there. But, this is the entire map filled with what I want in the map, I'm still unsure of what to add in the river below the houses. (Also, for those wondering about those tiny gaps between each tree, and open space. That's due to me still learning how to insert tiles properly.)
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
The tree placement is rather wild, but I'll take your word for saying that you're still learning. What is the tree right of the red house doing? It looks like half a tree. I think that's a tile error. And the river doesn't have to be so curvy. But the main thing is that the pathways look tangled up. I suggest that you make a strong three-tile width pathway everywhere, or else it'd look bad IMO.

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
Years
You're still forgetting to add the tree edges, which is the only thing I see wrong with the map. Everything else is OK for a starter town in my opinion. I'm not the most constructive critic there is, so forgive me for my horrid review, if I ever do make one

Finally finished this map, then I realized that it still has errors here and there. But, this is the entire map filled with what I want in the map, I'm still unsure of what to add in the river below the houses. (Also, for those wondering about those tiny gaps between each tree, and open space. That's due to me still learning how to insert tiles properly.)
Spoiler:
Biggest issue I'm seeing is that odd setup around the edge of the lake, where it seems to get deeper for no good reason; I think the tiles you're using there are inverted from what they should be, needing to continue the edge of the shoreline rather than create a new edge facing the opposite way.

Whitney's Shaymin

Creator Of Pokemon Grace
Years
Again, you forgot to add some tree edges. And like they told me once, this is too little. Try to make it bigger. Btw, is it an important route, cause there's almost no tall grass there.

Its the first route in the game but I could add more grass if needed. It does have 3 trainers though (although 2 can be avoided)

Years
  • Seen Jun 2, 2014
Which tileset are you using, cause those single tall grass leaves arn't really pokemonish.
Anyways, heres my Port Town, its only Part 1, theres another half of it that covers all the houses. The blank sea will be filled in soon.
porte.png

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Here's my HGSS tiled Route 1
3dftz.png

The trees are too dominant here, and the playthrough wouldn't be very nice. I suggest you add more "block sections" and ledges on to it, and the middle concentration of trees to be spread out. Also, the grass is easily avoidable, something which a good mapper never allows.

Which tileset are you using, cause those single tall grass leaves arn't really pokemonish.
Anyways, heres my Port Town, its only Part 1, theres another half of it that covers all the houses. The blank sea will be filled in soon.
porte.png

The water could use some content, maybe some rocks or boats or fishes or baylines or whatever. I think the sand should be expanded, and dominate almost completely the shore.

carmaniac

Where the pickle surprise at?
Years
This is my current progress for my games region map. Just a warning this is a very big map to display. Top left map is not completed so please ignore it.

Spoiler:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back