• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sierra's MEGA-HUGE XSE Scripting Tutorial

firekoopa

Combat the Infinite
Years
  • Seen Aug 16, 2020
I have a problem with even the most basic things as of yet.

I basically do everything what is told in the tutorial (still at basic text boxes), I compile the script into the game, assign the correct *six-digit whatever*... but the man I try to talk to just doesn't respond. I click A but nothing happens at all. Not even a lockup in the game.

I'm unsure of what I did wrong. Damnit moronic brain!!! ='(

Years
  • Seen May 1, 2022
Thank You!

Updating to version 1.1.1 fixed everything!

Now, can someone link me to the item list for ruby version?

I can not find one :/
unless it is the same as fire red, but i don't think it would be.

also, will i need to convert it into hex?

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
Updating to version 1.1.1 fixed everything!

Now, can someone link me to the item list for ruby version?

I can not find one :/
unless it is the same as fire red, but i don't think it would be.

also, will i need to convert it into hex?
Enjoy.
They are already in hex so you just need to use those numbers.
Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen May 1, 2022
HELP! I got an error yesterday and now my file will not load without using save states. it also wont let me save the file under a different name. I took one of my older versions (saved in an online dropbox) and it worked fine, i did not get the same error, but it is now saing i cant save this one anymore either, yet the file loads properly. does anyone know how to fix/prevent this? or if i should restart my whole project or keep working with my backup file, which will still save and load, but gets random errors and cannot 'save as"

droomph

weeb
Years
HELP! I got an error yesterday and now my file will not load without using save states. it also wont let me save the file under a different name. I took one of my older versions (saved in an online dropbox) and it worked fine, i did not get the same error, but it is now saing i cant save this one anymore either, yet the file loads properly. does anyone know how to fix/prevent this? or if i should restart my whole project or keep working with my backup file, which will still save and load, but gets random errors and cannot 'save as"
Unless you want to comb through all that data, I think you'll have to start over again from the past backup you made that actually works.

If you're talking about VBA save states go check if theres something wrong with your VBA, and try downloading it again.

Years
  • Seen May 1, 2022
******, the only thing i did different was clicking on the map i already was on when in wild pokemon section. than i got the error that 0xFFFFFFFF was not a pointer -_-

now whenever i make a new trainer they have an unlimited amount of text that i don't recognize.

That is over 100 hours of work lost.

Does anyone know what i did wrong exactly?

droomph

weeb
Years
******, the only thing i did different was clicking on the map i already was on when in wild pokemon section. than i got the error that 0xFFFFFFFF was not a pointer -_-

now whenever i make a new trainer they have an unlimited amount of text that i don't recognize.

That is over 100 hours of work lost.

Does anyone know what i did wrong exactly?
You probably overwrote something. That's the only thing I can think of.

Years
#dynamic 0x800300
#org @start
lock
faceplayer
checkflag 0x200
if 0x1 goto @done
applymovement 0x1 @move1
msgbox @1 0x5
compare 0x800d 0x1
if 0x1 goto @quake
msgbox @2 0x4
closeonkeypress
applymovement 0x1 @move2
release
end
#org @quake
lock
faceplayer
msgbox @3 0x4
closeonkeypress
setvar 0x8004 0xF
setvar 0x8005 0xF
setvar 0x8006 0xF
setvar 0x8007 0xF
special 0x136
setflag 0x200
release
end
#org @done
lock
faceplayer
msgbox @4 0x6
release
end
#org @move1
#raw 0x10
#raw 0x10
#raw 0x10
#raw 0x10
#raw 0x12
#raw 0x12
#raw 0x12
#raw 0xFE
#org @move2
#raw 0x13
#raw 0x13
#raw 0x13
#raw 0x11
#raw 0x11
#raw 0x11
#org @1
= Do you want me to summon\nan earthquake?
#org @2
= Maybe next time.
#org @3
= HIYA!
#org @4
= I broke all of my bones to\ndo that.

I'm not sure what is wrong with this, but what I wanted it to do is when I press no, the sprite will go back to where it came from. what is wrong with this?

Haru~

Can't resist the chubbiness :3
Years
  • Seen Jul 15, 2012
Spoiler:

I'm not sure what is wrong with this, but what I wanted it to do is when I press no, the sprite will go back to where it came from. what is wrong with this?

Changes in red. I recommend you script in this fashion so it looks less cluttered. ;)
And use flags 0x1000 and up as the lower flags are used for other in-game functions and trainer flags. Using them may cause undesirable behaviour.
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Feb 23, 2013
Someone give me some tips please :)

youtube . c om / watch ? v= 1wrCe_cegXs
Any tips?
Rate it please!
(sorry for the link with space, i'm not allowed to add links without 15 posts:p)

Years
  • Seen Feb 13, 2016
Hi. I was hoping that someone could help me with this script. I'm trying to put a script on a tile that I do not want the player to pass until (s)he has beaten the Team Rocket member in the room. So if the player steps on the tile, there are two cases. If the player has not yet picked a Pokemon, then the Rocket member has not picked a Pokemon and is still in his spot next to the tile I have the script on. If the player has picked his Pokemon, then the rocket member is not next to the tile. So in the first case, I want the Rocket member to turn to the player and tell him that he can not pass, and in the second case I want a message to pop up that tells the player he can't go downstairs before beating the Rocket member. With the code I have, the player just freezes when I step on the tile.
Code:
//---------------
#org 0x2D521C
checkflag 0x1001
if 0x1 goto 0x82D5249
checkflag 0x1000
if 0x1 call 0x82D54F4
checkflag 0x1000
if 0x0 call 0x82D5534
end

//---------------
#org 0x2D5249
end

//---------------
#org 0x2D54F4
applymovement 0x1 0x82D55B4
textcolor 0x0
msgbox 0x82D55F4 MSG_KEEPOPEN //"[rival]: Hey! You can't go downsta..."
closeonkeypress
applymovement MOVE_PLAYER 0x834EC0C
return

//---------------
#org 0x2D5534
textcolor 0x0
msgbox 0x834EB8C MSG_KEEPOPEN //"I can't go down there while that\n..."
closeonkeypress
applymovement MOVE_PLAYER 0x834EC0C
return

//---------
// Strings
//---------
#org 0x2D55F4
= [rival]: Hey! You can't go downstairs!\nWe're sacking the place!

#org 0x34EB8C
= I can't go down there while that\nTeam Rocket member is still here!

//-----------
// Movements
//-----------
#org 0x2D55B4
#raw 0x2 //Face Left
#raw 0xFE //End of Movements

#org 0x34EC0C
#raw 0x10 //Step Down (Normal)
#raw 0xFE //End of Movements

ComedyQuest

Noob Hacker
Years
Here I have a script in which the player is greeted by their mother after going downstairs at the beginning of the game:

#dynamic 0x800500

#org @start
checkflag 0x8D6
if 0x1 goto @done
applymovement 0x01 @move
waitmovement 0x0
msgbox @1 0x6
applymovement 0x01 @move2
waitmovement 0x0
applymovement 0xFF @move3
msgbox @2 0x6
setflag 0x82F
fanfare 0x13E
msgbox @3 0x4
waitfanfare
closeonkeypress
msgbox @4 0x6
applymovement 0x01 @move4
waitmovement 0x0
setflag 0x8D6
release
end

#org @done
release
end

#org @move
#raw 0x03
#raw 0x56
#raw 0xFE

#org @move2
#raw 0x07
#raw 0x07
#raw 0x07
#raw 0x07
#raw 0x07

#org @move3
#raw 0x02

#org @move4
#raw 0x06
#raw 0x06
#raw 0x06
#raw 0x06
#raw 0x06
#raw 0x01

#org @1
= Oh, \v\h01! You're finally\nawake!

#org @2
= Your grandmother's waiting for\nyou out by the pond.\lBefore you go, here, I\lcleaned your runnning shoes!

#org @3
= \v\h01 received the running shoes!

#org @4
= You know how they work...\nPress B to dash through the plains!\lAnyway, like I said, your grandmother's\lwaiting for you outside.\pGo on, honey!

The results of my script are that it doesn't happen right on the spot where I put my script box on Advance Map (the first block from the stair way of the player's house's first story). But, when you walk downstairs, the script doesn't activate, but it does when you walk on another block and then back onto the script box. And the mother does her first two movements good, but when she walks to you she walks immediately back to her original spot without saying anything, and then the game freezes. Any help would be deeply appreciated! :)

Okay, disregard the part about the mother moving back to her spot immediately, I just forgot the #raw 0xFE after each movement. However, the script still doesn't happen tje first time I step on the spot. Help please?

Last edited:

Teh Blazer

Divider of Zero
Years
From what it looks like, you put the script on the exact spot that the player goes on once they walk downstairs?

You can't use a normal script, you'll have to do the slightly more complicated level script, which activates once the player walks into the room (which is what I think you're aiming at).

I believe there's a tutorial for level scripts at the top of the first post, and it'll only require you to do a few extra steps.

ComedyQuest

Noob Hacker
Years
From what it looks like, you put the script on the exact spot that the player goes on once they walk downstairs?

You can't use a normal script, you'll have to do the slightly more complicated level script, which activates once the player walks into the room (which is what I think you're aiming at).

I believe there's a tutorial for level scripts at the top of the first post, and it'll only require you to do a few extra steps.

Oh, I guess I missed that! And better yet, the script works perfectly now! Thank you! :D

Years
  • Seen Apr 6, 2013
I want to get back into scripting again, two years ago I was using pokescript but I know since then there might be an easier way to script. So is XSE easier to use than pokescript or are there any other easier scripting software?

Years
I made this script where your rival exits out of the lab as well as the professor, but the problem is whenever i use hidesprite to keep them from showing before i step on the script tiles, they wont re appear even though im using showsprite and clearflag. I appoligize in advance if im not specific enough.

Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2012
I don't know if this problem was previously brought up.
I copied the exact message script code and put it in (with text alterations). When I played it on the ROM, all it would do is turn the person to me and play the little beep noise it normally does, but no textbox or anything.
What did/do I do?

#dynamic 0x800000
#org @start
lock
faceplayer
msgbox @1 0x6
release
end

#org @1
= Testing.

Back