• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Pokemon Yellow challenges?

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
I've been playing Pokemon Yellow ever since it came out but having beaten the game and completed the Pokedex numerous times, I'm starting to wonder what I can do to challenge myself if I was to start over. I thought about doing a single type challenge(notably Electric considering their weakness to Rock/Ground Types and the fact Pikachu is essentially the only Pokemon I'll have until I reach Rock Tunnel(where I get a Magnemite)). I've also read about self-finding, hence can catch only with Pokeballs that you find and to go without any potions(granted I rarely use potions when I play since I never really need them).

My question for all of you is what challenges do you give yourself to keep the game interesting?

Years
Some good challenges I can think of are Nuzlocke challenges. Those can really add some difficulty early game, especially with the weak Pikachu. Another odd challenge I did in Blue was a gift Pokemon only run. I would only use Pokemon that are given to the player, trades not included. You could also do a mono run, only using one Pokemon you can obtain early game.

I've thinking of doing a mono type run for Blue, since I love so many of the Kanto water types.

Last edited:

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Some good challenges I can think of are Nuzlocke challenges. Those can really add some difficulty early game, especially with the weak Pikachu. Another odd challenge I did in Blue was a gift Pokemon only run. I would only use Pokemon that are given to the player, trades not included. You could also do a mono run, only using one Pokemon you can obtain early game.

I've thinking of doing a mono type run for Blue, since I love so many of the Kanto water types.

With respect to mono-type, the single type that comes to mind for me with regards to Generation 1 is Bug Types. Only three Bug Type moves in the entire game that do any damage(hence String shot doesn't count) and only three Bug Pokemon get any Bug type moves(of which Beedrill or the lone Bug type that can only be caught via Ditto Glitch or traded for, has two of those three Bug-Type moves. Venonat and Paras are the other two lucky enough to learn Leech Life while the rest use non-stab moves for the most part. Scyther is unique in that it learns Wing Attack at level 50 in Yellow(not possible in Red/Blue)).

Hence I can catch Caterpie early(wherein I can evolve it into a Butterfree and kick arse early thanks to its Confusion attack) before getting Paras and Venonat at Mt.Moon and Nugget Bridge respectively. Rest I can get later on in Safari Zone or via Ditto Glitch. I did think about doing a solo Pokemon run and the one that came to mind was Mew via the special "Ditto Glitch" in Cerulean. Since Mew can learn any move in the game, I'd give it Strength, Cut, Surf and Psychic(could teach it fly but meh).

Thanks for the reply and keep the suggestions coming.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Bug monotype in Yellow would be hella killer lmfao. Monocolor is pretty fun, too. Nuzlocke in Yellow would definitely prove challenging as well; I think any locke is harder in the earlier games, though.

I did a random challenge in Yellow a few years ago and really enjoyed it. Found a new appreciation for some Pokemon too, like Raticate. I would consider that. I'm totally biased though because that's one of my favorites.

Mimikyu402

Flareon Master
Years
I remember beating yellow back in the day using only pikachu and butterfree to beat game and butterfree becoming my first ever lv 100 pokemon

Years
With respect to mono-type, the single type that comes to mind for me with regards to Generation 1 is Bug Types. Only three Bug Type moves in the entire game that do any damage(hence String shot doesn't count) and only three Bug Pokemon get any Bug type moves(of which Beedrill or the lone Bug type that can only be caught via Ditto Glitch or traded for, has two of those three Bug-Type moves. Venonat and Paras are the other two lucky enough to learn Leech Life while the rest use non-stab moves for the most part. Scyther is unique in that it learns Wing Attack at level 50 in Yellow(not possible in Red/Blue)).

Hence I can catch Caterpie early(wherein I can evolve it into a Butterfree and kick arse early thanks to its Confusion attack) before getting Paras and Venonat at Mt.Moon and Nugget Bridge respectively. Rest I can get later on in Safari Zone or via Ditto Glitch. I did think about doing a solo Pokemon run and the one that came to mind was Mew via the special "Ditto Glitch" in Cerulean. Since Mew can learn any move in the game, I'd give it Strength, Cut, Surf and Psychic(could teach it fly but meh).

Thanks for the reply and keep the suggestions coming.

Ooh yeah a bug type mono run will be challenging! The bug types could add quite the challenge, especially more late game since other Pokemon will be naturally stronger in terms of stats. Would you also catch a Pinsir? (It does learn the critical hit Slash and Swords Dance!)

Another good challenge could be the "unevolved Pokemon challenge", you have to go through a run without ever evolving your Pokemon.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Ooh yeah a bug type mono run will be challenging! The bug types could add quite the challenge, especially more late game since other Pokemon will be naturally stronger in terms of stats. Would you also catch a Pinsir? (It does learn the critical hit Slash and Swords Dance!)

Another good challenge could be the "unevolved Pokemon challenge", you have to go through a run without ever evolving your Pokemon.

If I was doing a Bug Type run, I'd have all six Bug Type Pokemon: Butterfree, *Beedrill, Pinsir, Scyther, Parasect and Venomoth. *Since Beedrill can only be caught via Ditto Glitch(and Weedle's hex value is over 100 no less), it will be a long time before I'll even have the opportunity to catch it. Therefore I'll have an open slot for HM slave Pokemon from which I'll need to progress since Bug Type's can't learn Surf or Fly(granted the latter is not critical like Surf is). Meaning I'll only have Leech Life as my lone Bug Type move but its not so bad since I'll have Slash and more importantly Psychic type moves at my disposal.

As for never evolving my Pokemon, I do that all the time. Typically my team can be any one of the following: Pikachu/Electrabuzz(or Jolteon which is part of my exception list), Sandshrew, Bulbasaur/Jynx, Charmander/Flareon/Vulpix/Magmar, Squirtle/Lapras/Vaporeon and Pidgey(or any flying Pokemon for Fly). Sometimes I swap Eevee's Evolutions for the Legendary Birds(which give me Fly, hence I can swap Pidgey for something else). I only evolve Pokemon when I'm near end of game or not at all and my Exception list is Eevee, Caterpie and Weedle lines.

I'll be starting a new game next weekend so awaiting more responses.

Back