Posted 5 Days Ago
625 posts
11.1 Years
Someone requested concept art?
Spoiler:

PokeDex Concept

Nest "map" concept

Party Screen Concept

Summary screen concept, note that this is the quick overview page.

Bag concept

PokeGear main menu concept.
I admire your initiative, but wouldn't it be best to follow the designs of the base game a bit more accurately for the starter kit?

I would actually suggest following Pokémon Platinum's interface for as much as possible, as it looks more up to date but still follows the Pokémon formula. As for the non-platinum content, I think that is where our newer ideas should come into play.

I do not like you party screen either, it is far to basic and shows essentially no information.

Edit: Alright, I took some quick pictures - I can't call them concept art due to the fact that they aren't concept art at all, just pictures taken from an emulator with the bottom screen trimmed. The intended purpose here is just to show that many aspects of Pokémon Platinum's UI would need little or no alteration to work perfectly with one screen.

First up:

The only difference is that the top screen was black and had a Textbox saying "Your name?" I simply moved that to the bottom screen and centered it, and no one would even know.

Pause menu sample. This works well because it's not bulky, but it's still very visually appealing. The little pictures jiggle left and right when their respective option is selected.

Here, the only thing missing is a set of buttons on the touch screen that you can touch to quickly view any given party members summary.

Only thing removed is a few buttons on the touch screen to quickly jump to a given pocket. Not necessary in the least.

This is all the basic stuff - Things such as the Trainer Card and Pokédex will take a little more work to figure out and even some actual design, but those are easy bridges to cross.

EDIT: It's been a few days without any posts, so I decided to post a few more examples.

Summary screen:

Noting that ribbons and contest stats are here as well - This might be a good incentive to look into them on a later release. As usual, no information was lost removing the bottom screen.

And not for something I threw together that actually took some creative work:

Pokémon Platinum's trainer card scene was not single screen friendly, so I'm fixing that. First thing of note is the pen on the lower left: It's intended function is to edit the different editable attributes of the Trainer card: Particularly the Trainer Class, Nature, and flavor text.

The middle button will flip the trainer card and show the back, which I will be making once I get yay or neigh on the Trainer Card front.

The rightmost button is just another close button, which works just as well by pressing x when not in editing the card.

Ho-oh 112

Advance Scripter

Age 23
Male
Seen March 8th, 2014
Posted March 8th, 2014
310 posts
8.7 Years

Pokémon Platinum's trainer card scene was not single screen friendly, so I'm fixing that. First thing of note is the pen on the lower left: It's intended function is to edit the different editable attributes of the Trainer card: Particularly the Trainer Class, Nature, and flavor text.

The middle button will flip the trainer card and show the back, which I will be making once I get yay or neigh on the Trainer Card front.

The rightmost button is just another close button, which works just as well by pressing x when not in editing the card.[/QUOTE]

You should make it so you can Type your motto in the Trainer Card instead of having the slightly terrible Preset Mottos.

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!

Age 31
Male
Castelia City
Seen 5 Days Ago
Posted 5 Days Ago
625 posts
11.1 Years

The rightmost button is just another close button, which works just as well by pressing x when not in editing the card.

You should make it so you can Type your motto in the Trainer Card instead of having the slightly terrible Preset Mottos.
First off, you should've put my post in quotes, remember that in the future.

Second, I've already discussed this with Maruno; This "flavor text" Will not be on the card. However, you do bring up a good idea; perhaps a preset text entry just for the sake of example would be a good thing to eventually add.

My current designs look like this:

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials

England
Seen 10 Hours Ago
Posted 11 Hours Ago
5,192 posts
11.8 Years
I suspect the majority of screens will be based on DPPt. Some features will be excluded, though, such as the contest-related pages in the summary (there are no contests in Essentials).

I have attached my concept of the trainer card, which is obviously based on the FRLG one.
Go to the Essentials Docs Wiki

Essentials Docs Wiki

Follow me on Twitter: @maruno42

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!

Age 31
Male
Castelia City
Seen 5 Days Ago
Posted 5 Days Ago
625 posts
11.1 Years
I suspect the majority of screens will be based on DPPt. Some features will be excluded, though, such as the contest-related pages in the summary (there are no contests in Essentials).

I have attached my concept of the trainer card, which is obviously based on the FRLG one.
I like it - The only thing I would suggest is move Red's/Leaf's sprites down some to be more centered.

will contests be added in a future version of essentials?
That is unlikely unless someone other than Maruno has the skill to do it and wants to go through all the effort. It would be nice I suppose, but I myself don't care about them enough to go try to implement them unless a lot changes between now and then.

Advertiser Content