• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A Perfect 10

Honest

Hi!
Years
We all know video game reviews like to score games. Scores like 6 to 8 on a 10 point scale (or their equivalent) are very common, while lower grades exist as well. A perfect game, however, is very rare. But they do exist!

As a Game Informer subscriber, I can say that within the past 2 years, out of all the amazing games that came out, GI has only given three games a 10 out of 10. Batman Arkham City, Mass Effect 3, and Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword are supposedly perfect.

But we all know critics vary. What about the critic in you? Are there any games in the past few years that you believe deserve a 10 out of 10? Be prepared to back your claim up!

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
For me, I can't say so. I don't think there is such a thing as a perfect game and, conversely, I don't think there's such a thing as a flawless game. This is largely why my reviews use words like "great" for 8 and "Amazing" for 9, as well as why games I think people will thoroughly enjoy and really like seem to get harsh ratings (though, from my perspective, an 8 is still a very good score an a 7 is still worth trying out). 10, for me, is Perfect (as it stands, at least). Not everyone is like that, though; most review sites such as Gamespot and IGN have 10 as something like "Masterpiece", but in my case it's perfect.

Still, I can't say much for the seventh generation there, though. There were a lot of games I enjoyed, indeed, but none I would give a 10 out of 10. Heck, I'm not sure that there are any that go that far for me, especially not in the past few years, though.

I'd give 999: Nine Persons, Nine Hours, Nine Doors probably a 9.5 and its sequel a 9.75, because they are among some of the most enjoyable games I've played since the sixth generation and have the best stories of any video games I've played.

Persona 4 would get a 9.3, as it is one of my favorite, if not my favorite RPG of all time, and it's probably one of the most well done I've played as well. I also thoroughly enjoyed .Hack//GU Volume 2 Reminisce and Chrono Trigger to that extent (though, really, if we're talking flawless but not perfect games, I'd definitely say that Chrono Trigger comes close).

There are many others I could list that I would consider "IGN 10 out of 10s", but I wouldn't call them perfect.

Caelus

Gone
Years
  • Seen May 26, 2013
If a 10 is supposed to mean the game is absolutely perfect and can't be improved upon no matter what then no game deserves it. No matter how good a game is it's going to have it's fair shares of flaws and virtually every game out there has glitches, so a perfect score is not possible to attain. But if a ten is supposed to mean near perfection, then there are a handful out there that I think deserve it, such as Ocarina of Time, Super Mario Galaxy, and Super Mario Bros 1 and 3.

While dated by today's standards (besides SMG since it's still relatively recent), for their time I don't know what could be improved upon other than perhaps better level design (nit-picking here since they both have great level designs, but nothing's perfect) and less glitches.

I'm personally more likely to give a great game a 9-9.5 out of 10 though. I don't think I've ever thought a game was a perfect 10, but I've played a few that I thought were close.

Back