• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Roleplay Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Wow a lot of people are returning! Great to see y'all back! I guess school is done for some of you all? :D Right after next week I'm done and then it's 6 weeks off for me :3

My new roleplay shall be called Super Smash Bros: Augustine Rush, and I'm still working on dat plot...and still debating whether I should use human versions of the characters or canon characters. I'm leaning towards that, but not sure lol.

What's everyone's opinion towards using canon characters in a roleplay? I'm certain this was asked before. lol

Well, for me its race season's over, but everyone else is done school so whatever...

On topic, I think it depends. Do we play as the canon characters? If so, that's a big no-no in my book. If the canon characters are NPC's, then it works. Smash bros RP? Sounds awesome, sounds like I'm going to try to join that.

Years
  • Age 30
  • AU
  • Seen Feb 18, 2023
Wow a lot of people are returning! Great to see y'all back! I guess school is done for some of you all? :D Right after next week I'm done and then it's 6 weeks off for me :3

My new roleplay shall be called Super Smash Bros: Augustine Rush, and I'm still working on dat plot...and still debating whether I should use human versions of the characters or canon characters. I'm leaning towards that, but not sure lol.

What's everyone's opinion towards using canon characters in a roleplay? I'm certain this was asked before. lol
It has the potential to step towards a Hunger Games-esque/Battle Royale (the japanese series, not hte video game) kind of deal, where characters fight to the death, but in a video game. Maybe like Tron!

I am also pro-NPCs and anti-canon characters. I've always liked to create my own personality, not choose from a list of.

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • C:\
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015

I prefer the idea where we create our own characters and use the powers gained from a Melee/Brawler. Of course, you know what I have in mind.

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
Years

//they all heard that I was coming back, so they all rushed over to worship me. //pfft, modest, lol

Canon characters in the background are okay, and I sometimes do that myself (as I am with the roleplay that I'm reviving), but as far as playing as canon characters . . . Yeah, no. -_- I just really don't like when that happens. I suppose you could call it the ultimate form of bunnying. Even if you manage to not ruin the characters, it's still no fun. :/

@Skymin - overdone! You have no creativity! >:U
Lol, go for it, I guess. It all depends on how you write it, so. . . .

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
The Arcana Famiglia RP's OOC thread I was talking about here a few days ago is finished & posted so make sure to go join once(/if!) it's approved! :D GMing sounds like a lot of fun so I can't wait for it to get stared - anyone have any tips on things to watch out for whilst running it though? This is all kind of new to me haha.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
Years
Considering we're talking super smash bros here, not letting people 'use' canon characters in some way is probably an awful idea that will undermine the appeal of a super smash bros RP altogether. Characters with the powers of canon characters is an okay idea I guess. I don't know whether people care for character powers as much as they do their iconic characters themselves. If it turns out that it's the latter, that choice could seriously hurt the RP's appeal right off the floor. (Though it's still better than that OC ONLY. NO ARTISTIC LICENSE. FINAL DESTINATION nonsense.)

That being said, a thought occurred to me that could improve upon the compromise concept you listed. What if instead of human characters using the powers of characters, which is arguably going to come off as slightly stale and potentially put RPers off, people vaguely played as humans that not only had the powers of canon characters, but the /bodies/ as well.

This gives players the powers and physiology of a character, but allows them free reign to define their own personality (and possibly history, depending on how you play it from there.)

Think Avatar. I think Skymin might have been onto something like this in her last post.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
I do agree that it would be quite appealing, to the masses at least, if one were to in some way play as the original characters (either in body or OC). Personally, I'd be for the "human version of the characters" or the "powers of the characters" ideas, but I wouldn't mind being the characters with static personality and appearance either, especially in the case of a Super Smash Bros RP. I could see the "original body, new personality" idea (or rather, ideas) being well received as well, but I'm more in favor of the first three.

Nakuzami

Years
Considering we're talking super smash bros here, not letting people 'use' canon characters in some way is probably an awful idea that will undermine the appeal of a super smash bros RP altogether. Characters with the powers of canon characters is an okay idea I guess. I don't know whether people care for character powers as much as they do their iconic characters themselves. If it turns out that it's the latter, that choice could seriously hurt the RP's appeal right off the floor. (Though it's still better than that OC ONLY. NO ARTISTIC LICENSE. FINAL DESTINATION nonsense.)

That being said, a thought occurred to me that could improve upon the compromise concept you listed. What if instead of human characters using the powers of characters, which is arguably going to come off as slightly stale and potentially put RPers off, people vaguely played as humans that not only had the powers of canon characters, but the /bodies/ as well.

This gives players the powers and physiology of a character, but allows them free reign to define their own personality (and possibly history, depending on how you play it from there.)

Think Avatar. I think Skymin might have been onto something like this in her last post.

Yeah, when it comes to something like Super Smash Bros., I suppose not having Nintendo characters could be odd . . . but . . . Lol
That last idea sounds . . . weird, but it could work, lol.
Also, why limit it to the game characters? Why not all Nintendo characters? Or, heck, any game character!
//quod erat demonstrandum; I don't know where to go with this, lol

Dawn

Years
@Nakuzumi: Because Goku vs Anne Frank can only end in two ways--Really bad fanfiction or brain numbingly stupid combat.

But yeah. I don't see any issue with expanding the cast somewhat, but not having limits is probably not a great idea because it would get tedious making overpowered / underpowered characters balanced.

Then again, I'm bias against extra work because I'll probably just nab Princess Peach and sneeze my way across the horizon.

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
My pick for a character was Banjo and Kazooie; that is certainly within reasonable boundary. The new Smash Bros. being made for 3DS is being made by the same Smash team /plus/ Capcom. Which means characters like Megaman might also join the brawl.

Nakuzami

Years
@Nakuzumi: Because Goku vs Anne Frank can only end in two ways--Really bad fanfiction or brain numbingly stupid combat.

But yeah. I don't see any issue with expanding the cast somewhat, but not having limits is probably not a great idea because it would get tedious making overpowered / underpowered characters balanced.

Then again, I'm bias against extra work because I'll probably just nab Princess Peach and sneeze my way across the horizon.

. . . Just because Anne Frank would kick Goku's arse is no reason to be afraid to open the blinds!
There would be limits, of course. Perhaps only certain types of games, or just games with a certain rating? Maybe characters that fight in a certain way . . . then again, something tells me that Peach's beets aren't really as effective as Samus' grenades, lol. So certain characters could just be . . . "downgraded" a bit.
(I'd probably kidnap Yoshi, lol)
Uh . . . maybe certain Marvel/DC characters? I dunno. . . . Lol.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
. . . Just because Anne Frank would kick Goku's arse is no reason to be afraid to open the blinds!
There would be limits, of course. Perhaps only certain types of games, or just games with a certain rating? Maybe characters that fight in a certain way . . . then again, something tells me that Peach's beets aren't really as effective as Samus' grenades, lol. So certain characters could just be . . . "downgraded" a bit.
(I'd probably kidnap Yoshi, lol)
Uh . . . maybe certain Marvel/DC characters? I dunno. . . . Lol.

To be fair, even Sackboy is included in the new Sega brawling game so if they can give him attacks to use, I think most characters could have some haha. You could make it down to the player to decide their character's attacks and such, then the GM would decide whether or not it's acceptable for that character? That way balancing only needs to happen on a SU by SU basis rather than coming up with a huge list of pre-approved characters. But I guess it could get a little hectic or ridiculous, so who knows haha... Just an idea anyway!

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years

Your idea above made me think of cosplaying. xD Which I think would also be a fantastic idea. I mean, I want to keep the powers from the official characters and have "human" characters use them, and I sorta have doubts about that. However, for the plot I'm slowly working on, it's not gonna alter it, so I don't have to worry. :P

I appreciate the opinions, guys! That's all I wanted to know :)

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years

It's a simple matter of balancing with strength proportionally to ability, it's really what these types of games are about, and there are tons of games that do it (and do it well).

In the case of "Goku vs. Anne Frank"...well, it's a great parallel but it doesn't really work. Not because of the power differences, that's beyond obvious, but because Anne has no fighting capability at all. A good example would be DON (Dragon Ball One Piece Naruto). While the latter two could be measured around equally in strength...well, pretty much the entire included cast could destroy the Earth with little effort, and justifiably so. The reason it works is because all of the included characters have incredible (or above average) fighting prowess and a good repertoire in terms of abilities and attacks, making it easy to simply imply their true strength and scale down.

Of course, as Ozzy and Nakuzami said, you could simply add attacks from their source to make the already interesting character suitable for such a battleground (ie. Sackboy and Game and Watch). Heck, you could make Anne Frank an interesting fighter (though it'd be a stretch, there's not much that you could add without her being a complete betrayal). Then, it's simply a matter of scaling up.

OrangeNess

Layton Lover
Years
I prefer the idea where we create our own characters and use the powers gained from a Melee/Brawler. Of course, you know what I have in mind.
If you do end up using this, I'm gonna use Ness! Of course, I'm an EarthBound addict, so I'd pick that. (See my screen name!)

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
machomuu, Game&Watch is alredy a character :D

Leafy (I'm calling you that for no reason) I'd like to hear your input on the Banjo-Kazooie idea still (Since Rareware was once bound to Nintendo) as well as the upcoming possibility of Capcom characters included in the series.

Dawn

Years
@Machomuu: No offense, but after last time we had a 'disagreement' I'm not inclined to believe that this one will lead anywhere productive. That being said, perhaps it would be upstanding to become adequately familiar with the game in question before giving advice relating to it... I might also recommend that you attempt to think of reasons why someone might find the situation you propose undesirable on your own.

@TornZero: That was actually totally what I was referring to. Y'know that "Haa-cha!" noise Peach makes when using her Peach bomber? That's her sneezing. Her sneezes send her /flying/ into people. That's literally what that attack is.

I don't know who my second or third choice would be, come to think of it. I never bothered to think of it because Peach wins first place by a very large margin, so I'm honestly not all that partial to anyone else.

@Leaf Storm: No problem! Glad I could give you ideas to work with.

@Wolf: Capcom seems to have jumped the shark. I honestly don't see any of their characters joining the Brawl. I'm neutral as to people being able to play them in the RP. While they're pretty legit choices, I almost would prefer the structure of there being a pretty limited selection of characters, though. Chaos leads to confusion and people choosing lesser known/non-nintendo characters nobody else knows about, which starts to defeat the premise a bit when you join a Smash Bros RP and don't really know anything about the characters in it.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
machomuu, Game&Watch is alredy a character :D
Exactly, that was really my point. Sackboy isn't exactly a "fighter" character either, but they use things from LBP to make him an adequate fighting character. Same goes for Game&Watch, having seen and played many Game&Watch games, he's not so much a fighter as he is...pretty much anything else. It's for that reason that his integration as a fighter in SSBM was so interesting, because, in reality, he wasn't a fighter, but they made him one.

@Yellow - You mean SSB? I've been a fan since the beginning, as well as Zelda, if that's what you were referring to (well, not since the beginning, but since Link's Awakening, so fairly long). Plus I've been following PBR pretty well and played a good bit of DON, I know what I'm talking about (especially when it comes to the aforementioned). Gaming is probably my favorite hobby and I don't say things definitively unless I know that they are fact, I know what I'm doing.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • AU
  • Seen Feb 18, 2023
HEY GUYS just try to keep this conversation more roleplaying and less gaming, 'kay? Love all your enthusiasm though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back