• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Ultimate Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sindrie

Eevee breeder and caretaker
Years
So another random question :P

So in soul silver there is the bug catching contest on sat,tues,thur if someone were to go into there DS options and set it to tuesday even though it isn't tuesday and then do the contest would that be considered cheating?

Pekin

Wigglytuff is and has always been on acid.
Years
Type: Flying
Game: Platinum
Badges: 6

Okay, so after beating Crasher Wake, it took me some time before finally getting to Canalave City to beat Byron - mostly because I went back to the area around Floaroma to fool around with honey trees and wait for Friday to come to catch myself a Drifloon. Eventually, I did catch myself a Modest Drifloon and even a Careful female Combee. I then grinded... A lot. Evolved them both in the process, then decided to move on, when everyone in my team was somewhere around level 40. Fast forward to me arriving in Canalave City, where I was met by my rival, Nemo. Just for ****s and giggles and to prove to everybody doubting the walling capacities of Vespiquen, I took down his entire team with Vespiquen alone. His Staraptor allowed me to set up no less than 6 Defend Orders, while the Toxic slowly killed it. Then, with her defenses set sky high, it was just a matter of poisoning the foe and wait it out. We then proceeded to train a bit more on Iron Island before we took on Byron. Byron was anti-climatic as ****. Gliscor set up one Swords Dance, then OHKOd all his Pokémon with Earthquake. Boring. With my 6th badge making every Pokémon up to level 70 obey me, though, Murkrow's attitude problems should finally be over for good.

Here's my team so far:

Spoiler:

And oh yeah - happy birthday, Monotype Challenge! Not sure how or even if I want to exploit this - I'll save that decision for later :)

Last edited:

Lycanroc

under the sun
Years
Happy Birthday, Monotype Challenge!

I would like to put my Electric monotype on hiatus and start a Flying monotype with the following games.

FireRed, HeartGold, Sapphire, Pearl, White

For my Flying monotype, I would like to hack in a Swablu for Pokémon White.

Sindrie

Years
I think I'm going to switch over to a Bug challenge after getting the 8th badge on my grass monotype I don't think I can use mega drain one more time :S

Type: Bug
Game: SS and maybe white after SS
single challenge

Happy Birthday, Monotype Challenge!
I will Give my self a caterpie.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
So another random question :P

So in soul silver there is the bug catching contest on sat,tues,thur if someone were to go into there DS options and set it to tuesday even though it isn't tuesday and then do the contest would that be considered cheating?
That really doesn't affect the actual gameplay, it just makes it easier for you to get something you can get already. I have no problem with you doing this.

Sindrie

Years
That really doesn't affect the actual gameplay, it just makes it easier for you to get something you can get already. I have no problem with you doing this.

cool b/c do to work and other things I sometimes miss out on the contest and have to switch up the days.

Years
Hi I'm kirax7's brother!
Since, i didn't want to create another account so i just post with this :)

I want to start an Ultimate Monotype Challenge, maybe Steel, can i infringe the rule about Legendary? Of course, the Legendary avaible in game with Stats <= 600 and only one at team.
Since if Slaking (bad 640 xD), Dragonite, Garchomp, Hydreigon, Salamance, Metagross, Tyranitar (600) are fine, maybe the Legendary Birds, Beasts, Golems, Guardians, Musketeers + Thundurus/Tornadus(580) should be fine too. Or not? xD

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Hi I'm kirax7's brother!
Since, i didn't want to create another account so i just post with this :)

I want to start an Ultimate Monotype Challenge, maybe Steel, can i infringe the rule about Legendary? Of course, the Legendary avaible in game with Stats <= 600 and only one at team.
Since if Slaking (bad 640 xD), Dragonite, Garchomp, Hydreigon, Salamance, Metagross, Tyranitar (600) are fine, maybe the Legendary Birds, Beasts, Golems, Guardians, Musketeers + Thundurus/Tornadus(580) should be fine too. Or not? xD
Sorry, this rule has been in place for every version of the Monotype challenge. If you want to post here, you can't use any Legendary Pokemon.

TheCrystalFlaaffy

Youtube Content Creator
Years
Normal Monotype LeafGreen Final Update

After some training in victory road I finally believed I was capable of taking on the Pokemon League.
I bought a bunch of revives and stuff then challenged the league.
Surprisingly I won on my first try! :D
Spoiler:
Team:
Spoiler:

Now off to Johto in SoulSilver!

Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
Sorry, this rule has been in place for every version of the Monotype challenge. If you want to post here, you can't use any Legendary Pokemon.

Ok!

User: ryuzakix7
Ultimate Type: Steel
Games: Crystal -> Ruby Diamond (or Platinum uhm) -> W2/B2

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
After writing up a great final entry for my Black 2 Steel monotype, my browser decided to refresh and I lost it. So I'll keep it short since I don't feel like recreating my post. I picked up in Lentimas town and earned my final two gym badges and made it through Victory Road, catching two team members along the way: Bisharp and Metagross. My team at this point was level 59-60, bar Metagross who I had yet to use. Since I had to grind Metagross I decided to go ahead and bring the whole team up to level 62. Then I proceeded to the easiest E4/Champion endgame I've ever experienced in a Pokemon game. Metagross swept through Marshall, while Bisharp did the same to both Caitlin and Shauntaul. Next, Lucario did similarity with Grimsley's dark types. Then I moved from the extremely easy elite 4 to an equally easy champion. Lucario quickly and easily took care of Iris' Hydreigon, Druddigon, and Aggron before succumbing to Haxorus. Then Excadrill finished off Haxorus, and Magnezone took care of Lapras and Archeops. Only having to use 2 healing items and only having one Pokemon faint, this was definitely the easiest endgame I've had. I would order my team in order of usefulness as follows: Lucario, Metagross, Bisharp, Magnezone, Excadrill, and Probopass. I was pretty surprised by Bisharp, and unimpressed with my Excadrill (which just didn't match up to the Excadrill's I've used in previous playthroughs). I was also pleasantly surprised by Probopass, who, though she didn't get used once in the Elite 4, was surprisingly useful in general.

Black 2 Team:
lucario.png
Lucario / lv63 / Close Combat, Dragon Pulse, Bone Rush, Aura Sphere
magnezone.png
Magnezone / lv62 / Discharge, Magnet Bomb, Flash Cannon, Thunderbolt
excadrill.png
Excadrill / lv62 / Earthquake, Rock Slide, Strength, Metal Claw
probopass.png
Probopass / lv62 / Thunderbolt, Power Gem, Earth Power, Rock Slide
bisharp.png
Bisharp / lv63 / Slash, Assurance, Iron Head, Night Slash
metagross.png
Metagross / lv63 / Psychic, Meteor Mash, Iron Defense, Hyper Beam

PekoponTAS

Game Boy Advance Fan
Years
Pokemon HeartGold Normal Mono-type update!

• Obtained Togepi Egg.
  • Arrived at union cave
  • arrived at Azalea Town
  • Beat up Team Rocket in Slowpoke Well.
  • Fought Rival Carlos at the edge of town.
  • Kangaskhan beat up everyone in the Azalea Gym, including Bugsy by spamming Mega Punch.
  • Obtained the Cut HM in Ilex Forest, and taught cut to Chikorita.
  • Taught Headbutt to Kangaskhan in Ilex Forest.
  • Ditched Dunsparce from my team, and caught an Aipom instead. Named it "Monkey"
  • After some level grinding and trainer battles arrived in Goldenrod City.
  • Beat up Whitney by spamming Kangaskhan's Rage attack.
  • Renamed Kangaskhan "Kangaroo" at the name rater.
  • Beat up Sudowoodo, and arrived in Ecrutek City.
  • Went to the route next to Ecrutek and caught a Tauros. Nicknamed it "Bull"
  • Ditched Aipom from my team, and did something I don't usually do and Ev trained Tauros!
  • Near the end of the many hours it took to ev train Tauros, I ran into a shiny Magnemite! I caught it first try by just hurling a great ball. A shame I can't use it in this run, especially when every other Pokemon on that route is a normal type, but any shiny is a good thing.
  • Tauros is fully Ev trained, and is at level 39!
  • Beat up Carlos again with Kangaskhan so he be within the restrictions of party members being ten levels apart.
  • Had Kangaroo Beat up all the regular trainers in the Ghost gym with Headbutt (due to the Scrappy ability) and had Tauros sweep Morty with super powered Zen Headbutts.
  • Arrived in Olivine City.
  • Climbed the lighthouse while leveling up Kangaroo. (I'm still gonna really need him later on)
  • Left the lighthouse and surfed towards Cianwood, fighting a few trainers and any wild tentacruels I came across.
  • Obtained the secret potion
  • swept the entire Cianwood gym with Tauros' Zen Headbutt.
  • Obtained fly and flew back to olivine to give ampharos the secret potion.
  • Flew back to Cianwood to go to the safari zone and catch a Geodude for Baoba. (gonna need the Safari Zone during Kanto)
  • Fought Jasmine with a tagteam of Kangaroo beating up the Magnemites with Drain Punch, and Tauros beating up Steelix with Surf.
And now you're caught up to where I left off!

Current Team:

kangaskhan.png
Lv35 Kangaroo (F) Nature: Timid
Moveset: Drain Punch, Dizzy Punch, Strength, Crunch

128.png
Lv43 Bull (M) Nature: Sassy
Moveset: Take Down, Zen Headbutt, Horn Attack, Surf

Snapshots:

Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
Ultimate Monotype Steel
Finished Pokemon Crystal!

Spoiler:

FINAL TEAM
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Sindrie

Years
I haven't even started my bug run yet (but i'm going to in like 1 min lol) but instead of hacking caterpie I will prolly use a scizor instead. I have actually never used a scizor before and I guess now is a good time to try I think I will try to use it as my main. I will bring him/her (whatever I happen find first) at lvl 1.

Tyrael

This is a Sailor's Prayer
Years
I'll go ahead and sign up for dis:

Username: Dyl-icious
Type: Flying
Challenge: Ultimate
Game(s): FR, Silver, R, SS, and B2

May as well go ahead and update my Flying run on FR. Chose Charmander as the starter and caught a Caterpie and Pidgey quite early on. So far I have 3 badges and am currently in Rock Tunnel.

Charmeleon(Kitori): Level 26, Quiet nature. Ember, Dig, Metal Claw, Break Break
Butterfree(Freebutter): Level 26, Docile nature. Sleep Powder, Poison Powder, Confusion, Ariel Ace
Pidgeotto(Fudgey): Level 26, Rash nature. Tackle, Gust, Sand-Attack, Quick Attack

TheCrystalFlaaffy

Youtube Content Creator
Years
Ghost Monotype Update #2

I got my 2nd badge today.
After a lot of grinding I was finally able to take on Misty and her stupid Starmie.
It's starting to feel like a solo run, I can't wait to get my 2nd team member
vs
103.gif
Spoiler:
Team:
Spoiler:

It's starting to feel like a solo run, I can't wait to get my 2nd team member when I get to Lavender town!

Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
Ultimate Monotype Steel
Update #1 Pokemon Ruby

Spoiler:

Last edited:

KidCarter93

PokéTech Guy
Years
Update #1
Type: Poison
Game: Liquid Crystal (Crystal)
Badges: 16

Beat Lt. Surge with:
Nidoqueen Lv 62
Victreebel Lv 61
Crobat Lv 62
Ariados Lv 62
Beedrill Lv 62
Gengar Lv 62

Beat Sabrina with:
Crobat Lv 64
Nidoqueen Lv 63
Ariados Lv 64
Beedrill Lv 63
Victreebel Lv 64
Gengar Lv 63

Beat Erika with:
Beedrill Lv 64
Nidoqueen Lv 64
Ariados Lv 64
Crobat Lv 64
Victreebel Lv 64
Gengar Lv 63

Beat Jasmine with:
Ariados Lv 65
Nidoqueen Lv 65
Crobat Lv 65
Gengar Lv 64
Victreebel Lv 64
Beedrill Lv 64

Beat Misty with:
Crobat Lv 68
Beedrill Lv 67
Nidoqueen Lv 67
Ariados Lv 67
Gengar Lv 68
Victreebel Lv 67

Beat Brock with:
Ariados Lv 67
Beedrill Lv 67
Victreebel Lv 67
Nidoqueen Lv 67
Gengar Lv 68
Crobat Lv 68

Beat Blaine with:
Gengar Lv 68
Crobat Lv 69
Ariados Lv 69
Nidoqueen Lv 70
Victreebel Lv 68
Beedrill Lv 69

Beat Blue with:
Nidoqueen Lv 70
Crobat Lv 70
Gengar Lv 69
Victreebel Lv 70
Beedrill Lv 70
Ariados Lv 70

Beat Elite Four Will mainly with Gengar.
Beat Elite Four Koga mainly with Nidoqueen.
Beat Elite Four Bruno mainly with Ariados and Crobat.
Beat Elite Four Karen mainly with Nidoqueen.
Beat Champion Lance mainly with Beedrill and Crobat.

My team:
Ariados Lv 70
Crobat Lv 71
Gengar Lv 72
Victreebel Lv 70
Beedrill Lv 70
Nidoqueen Lv 71

Went to Mt. Silver and beat Red with:
Nidoqueen Lv 72
Crobat Lv 72
Gengar Lv 73
Ariados Lv 71